Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 689586 times)

Elisabunny

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2580 on: May 01, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »
This is like the complaint that "99% of welfare recipients have refrigerators!"

I looked at that complaint and went -  "Well, duh!"  I expect that Welfare recipients rent and every rental place I have ever lived in came with a refrigerator and stove.  I feel bad for the 1% of welfare recipients that can't find a rental with appliances, those must be some short-sighted landlords..

In most cases I've seen, the "complainers" are not trying to say that welfare recipients are scammers, but are pointing out that what we consider poverty would be pretty darn comfortable in some countries.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Figgie

« Reply #2581 on: May 01, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
I just want to pod the people who explain various reasons why someone who is poor would have a smart phone.  My spouse's workplace replaces their smartphones every two years and they donate the old ones to various charities or tell my spouse and his coworkers to keep them if they want.  He has kept one i-phone and donated the other i-phones and android phones to the local shelter.

nuit93

« Reply #2582 on: May 01, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
This is like the complaint that "99% of welfare recipients have refrigerators!" Er... in most states, it's illegal for parents to NOT have a way to keep and preserve food for their families long-term. It's hardly an indicator of frivolity.

This one always hugely bugs me. (a) if the family were to sell their fridge, it would be an incredibly short-sighted decision, as it would severely limit the kinds of foods they could buy and probably cost them more in the long run, and (b) I've lived in low-income housing and it came with a refrigerator. I couldn't sell it; it wasn't mine. But it was there for my use, and that's probably how a lot of the people in this statistic "have refrigerators" too.

I was gonna say...I've always had access to a refrigerator, but that's because it came with the apartment.  So, I don't OWN it, but it's there.

EDIT: that being said, I'd hate for this thread to get locked so can we move away from discussion of hot-button topics of welfare/assistance scammers?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:35:46 PM by nuit93 »

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2583 on: May 01, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
True, but the cost for a data plan is expensive.

you don't have to have a data plan. I have an iphone with a pay as you go plan and no data plan. It works for what i need it for and at a cost of about $5 a month.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2584 on: May 02, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
You know, I may be considered a curmudgeon by some. But that's ridiculous. Having a refrigerator, so you can store leftovers and food bought in bulk is more cost-effective than going without one. Even if it weren't - social assistance should provide decent living conditions, if not luxurious ones. Going without a fridge is not acceptable, particularly, as some have pointed out, for people with children.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2585 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
I have to say that I think a refrigerator is a pretty basic need in modern times. I had never heard that saying until this thread.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2586 on: May 02, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
Yeah, and sadly, it's not even all just people comparing first world poverty to third world poverty--there was an article a few years back that suggested the poor sell their fridges for cash. That's the argument that makes no sense at all to me.

Jones

« Reply #2587 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

I looked at that complaint and went -  "Well, duh!"  I expect that Welfare recipients rent and every rental place I have ever lived in came with a refrigerator and stove.  I feel bad for the 1% of welfare recipients that can't find a rental with appliances, those must be some short-sighted landlords..

In most cases I've seen, the "complainers" are not trying to say that welfare recipients are scammers, but are pointing out that what we consider poverty would be pretty darn comfortable in some countries.
Yes, I've only ever heard this comparison in regards to first world vs. third world lifestyles, or even in comparison to "how much better we have if than our ancestors, even the rich ones." I've never heard of someone begrudging a welfare recipient a refrigerator before this thread.

poundcake

« Reply #2588 on: May 02, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

Yes, I've only ever heard this comparison in regards to first world vs. third world lifestyles, or even in comparison to "how much better we have if than our ancestors, even the rich ones." I've never heard of someone begrudging a welfare recipient a refrigerator before this thread.

You haven't met my relatives.  :o They love claiming that everyone on food stamps is buying lobster because they saw a news story that said so. Three of my friends work with welfare recipients in two different non-profits and have for decades, and no matter what lengthy experience and evidence I have for them that, no, that's not what welfare recipients, in general, do, THEY SAW IT ON THE NEWS. Ugh, "those people!"  ::)

More in line with the thread's title, I got yelled at by a panhandler today. I usually rely on a "do not engage" practice, after having lived in several major cities. This guy asked me for change, but, as I was rushing for a bus along with my "do not engage" policy, I didn't respond. He proceeded to yell after me about what a snob I was with my head up my own butt. Sorry, fella, but I'm not obligated to sacrifice my comfort level, or miss a bus, because you asked me for change. You don't know how much volunteer work I do and how much I give to charity, so, to use an eHell-approved phrase, "What an interesting assumption."

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2589 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
Good News, Everyone!  I've been made a beneficiary of something.

"The Seven-member committee of Hyundai group have made you a Beneficiary in the ongoing cash donation."

This was all that was in the email, but it must be awesome, right?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2590 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
Great news!  The FBI and the UN are both helping me get my 45million $$$ out of Nigeria!  All I have to do is pay them for the price of the courier(s?) to bring me my debit card!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

squeakers

« Reply #2591 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »
So Moocher and Family that moved in with my sister? They have a house rented!  And they have moved out... taking a few things that weren't theirs.  I'm only getting dribs and drabs of info. I'll have to go visit sis now that they are gone.  I'll try to not say "I told you so!"

Oh, the house being rented was the house Moocher's sister was renting. The sister moved out into a house she bought (yay!). Now since none of them (Moocher and family) have a job I am unsure how they will pay rent.  They'll probably just leave in the middle of the night once school is done.  I know the kids will be going to spend the summer with their dad so it will be just the Moocher and her husband.  Who apparently has a warrant out on him.  So who knows where they will go next.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2592 on: May 02, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »

Apparently if I'm willing to allow my postal address to be used and accept packages sent to it from overseas, I'll be paid $700 a week, all for just getting a package and reboxing and resending it.

Sounds like a great deal to me!
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

chibichan

« Reply #2593 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:47 AM »

Apparently if I'm willing to allow my postal address to be used and accept packages sent to it from overseas, I'll be paid $700 a week, all for just getting a package and reboxing and resending it.

Yes , you will need that money for bail and a lawyer ....

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130420202718AA3nNQm
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2594 on: May 03, 2014, 03:49:45 AM »

Yes , you will need that money for bail and a lawyer ....

I've been watching Border Security Oz recently, and I can't believe anyone sees this as anything other than a scam. Oh, and if you eat it in any way, it's food people! The excuses are making my brain explode.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.