Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 682218 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2595 on: May 03, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
I got a couple of email ads offering me a wonderful chance to earn money as a Secret Shopper - I'm supposed to send money through Western Union and they will pay me after I file the paperwork and the results of my survey. 

Umm - I think that I'll pass on that particular assignment, since I'm not looking for work as a Secret Shopper or Mystery Shopper - this email would seem to have come out of thin air into my inbox.  Not a good sign...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Miss March

« Reply #2596 on: May 05, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
After reading so many stories online, I had an encounter with a scammer the other day- a man who approached me as I came out of the store and started a spiel about how he needed a few dollars "because his wife and daughter were stranded over at (college)...." I cut him off quickly with a firm 'no,' and walked on. He started following me down the sidewalk, talking angrily on his cell phone about how "no one would be decent" and help him out, so I crossed the street to get away from him.

It was very clear that he was telling me a fake story. I almost wish I'd heard his whole tale, because what he said didn't make much sense. The college where his wife and daughter were supposedly "stranded" was literally a 4 minute walk away from where we were (and he was walking away from it, oddly enough), and the man clearly had a working cell phone, so why would he need a few dollars from me? Was I to believe that he had no cash, his wife had no cash, his college age daughter had no cash, and between the three of them and the person he was talking to on the cell phone (or anyone else he could call for aid), that he had no other option than to stop strangers on the street and ask for money?
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

sandisadie

« Reply #2597 on: May 05, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
The other day I got a call on my house phone.  The man spoke english with a pronounced asian accent.  I had trouble understanding him.  He informed me he was calling from Microsoft.  He told me I must turn on my computer at once because he was going to install a program on it to get rid of a virus he had discovered - on my computer.  I just gave him a BIG laugh, said NO! and hung up.  Then I reported the call to the Federal Trade Commission.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2598 on: May 05, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
The other day I got a call on my house phone.  The man spoke english with a pronounced asian accent.  I had trouble understanding him.  He informed me he was calling from Microsoft.  He told me I must turn on my computer at once because he was going to install a program on it to get rid of a virus he had discovered - on my computer.  I just gave him a BIG laugh, said NO! and hung up.  Then I reported the call to the Federal Trade Commission.

A friend of mine just got one of these calls this morning. She said that when she told him she knew it was a scam, he starting telling her how he was going to come and rape and murder her. She said what was really scary is that he told her what her address was.  Yes, she called the police and while they can't do much as it is a relay phone number out of LA, they did advise her to keep her eyes open and call if she thinks she hears anything. A bunch of people volunteered to come stay with her for additional safety. Word of advise to psychos out there, don't mess with a woman who is well armed with swords and knows how to use them.  Bonus, don't tick off the group of her friends who are equally armed and very protective of the first woman.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2599 on: May 05, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
I somehow managed to get "conduit search" as part of a software download. It is a highly invasive software that will override all settings on your browsers. I am very thankful to a few forums that told me how to get rid of it.

sandisadie

« Reply #2600 on: May 05, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Years & years ago I worked in the claims dept for a large health insurance co.  One day we got a claim for a woman who had given birth.  Her husband was an employee at a company we represented and the claim was under his name & address.  About a week later we got a claim for a woman who had given birth and listed the same man, same address, same company as the father of the baby.  Needless to say, we only paid for one baby - the actual wife's. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2601 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:06 AM »
so the back story,  the OP had fraudulent charges and the card provider didn't believe them/didn't care,  when it was passed on to a debt collection agency (whilst still being disputed) the OP decided to have a little fun.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=741653&highlight=fun+debitas

i don't think there's any really bad language, but it'll make you laugh at the ingenuity :)

This guy is wonderfully evil! >:D

I lost two hours at work (thankfully we are reactive so no issue there) reading this web page.  My office mate wondered why I was laughing like a loon.
Ditto.

Thank you so much for posting this link. Although now I've got "The lion sleeps tonight" stuck in my head.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

StarFaerie

« Reply #2602 on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
Years & years ago I worked in the claims dept for a large health insurance co.  One day we got a claim for a woman who had given birth.  Her husband was an employee at a company we represented and the claim was under his name & address.  About a week later we got a claim for a woman who had given birth and listed the same man, same address, same company as the father of the baby.  Needless to say, we only paid for one baby - the actual wife's.

Wow! Just wow.

lilfox

« Reply #2603 on: May 06, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
Our voicemail currently contains a message from Investigating Officer Sam Larson of Crime Investigation, about DH (name slightly mangled) committing tax fraud and hiding money from the government.  We of course need to call back immediately on this highly urgent and important matter.

Man, we don't pay our crime investigation officers enough, poor guy sounds just like he's in a crowded call center in India.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2604 on: May 07, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
I happened to be home yesterday when I got a call on my land line from Microsoft.

Heavy accented man began speaking without ever saying my name or asking for me, just launched into his spiel about getting messages from my computer, okay?  Everything ended with okay?  Serious breach of security okay?   

I kept agreeing with everything and then asking him to repeat it...one more time.  Finally he hung up. 

nayberry

« Reply #2605 on: May 07, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
so the back story,  the OP had fraudulent charges and the card provider didn't believe them/didn't care,  when it was passed on to a debt collection agency (whilst still being disputed) the OP decided to have a little fun.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=741653&highlight=fun+debitas

i don't think there's any really bad language, but it'll make you laugh at the ingenuity :)

This guy is wonderfully evil! >:D

I lost two hours at work (thankfully we are reactive so no issue there) reading this web page.  My office mate wondered why I was laughing like a loon.
Ditto.

Thank you so much for posting this link. Although now I've got "The lion sleeps tonight" stuck in my head.  ;D

it does stay for ages!! 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2606 on: May 07, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
Haven't gotten a scam call for a while, I did use it as an opportunity to indulge my  >:D side as well as try and guilt them with the ethics of what they are doing.

Coralreef

« Reply #2607 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
Haven't gotten a scam call for a while, I did use it as an opportunity to indulge my  >:D side as well as try and guilt them with the ethics of what they are doing.

To feel guilty, you need a sense of right and wrong.  I'm pretty sure scammers have absolutely no idea as to what guilt feels like.  Deception at being called out, sure.  Guilt, nnaaawwww...

[/right

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #2608 on: May 08, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »

To feel guilty, you need a sense of right and wrong.  I'm pretty sure scammers have absolutely no idea as to what guilt feels like.  Deception at being called out, sure.  Guilt, nnaaawwww...

I co-moderate a large facebook group, and have had to confront/boot a few members for shady behavior. I've found that the most seasoned scammers are also the most indignant at being called out. No guilt whatsoever.

Figgie

« Reply #2609 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
We have been getting really strange hang-up phone calls and the phone number displayed on caller ID isn't a legit number.  The last one was:  86-111-1190.  It is one digit short and when I try to google it, I find nothing.