Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 620228 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2610 on: May 08, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
Woo-Hoo it's my lucky day! I'm eligible to receive a tax refund of 495.50 CAD even though I've never set foot in Canada.

Miss March

« Reply #2611 on: May 08, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
I got a phone call from 000-000-0000 around 2am the other night.  ::)
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Coralreef

« Reply #2612 on: May 08, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Woo-Hoo it's my lucky day! I'm eligible to receive a tax refund of 495.50 CAD even though I've never set foot in Canada.
I can cash it for you if you want  ;)

[/right

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2613 on: May 08, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

That's just how awesome Canada is :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2614 on: May 08, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
I get calls with the digits all 1s or 4s. They don't leave messages.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2615 on: May 09, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
I've been getting calls on my cell phone with a 301 exchange(Maryland), but the notation says Greece or Belize.   I don't pick them up, and I block the numbers, but it's a different number every time.  All starting with 301. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2616 on: May 09, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
I found this prerecorded message on my answering machine yesterday.
For those sixty years old or older. You now qualify under the new National Senior Assistance Program to receive three thousand dollars in free groceries savings certificates. They can be used at over a hundred major grocery chains across the US. In addition to your three thousand dollars in savings certificate you'll receive a free emergency medical alert bracelet or necklace. This medical alert device is designed to save your life if you ever experience a fall or any other emergencies.
The recording said to press 1 to accept the "no obligation" offer or 5 if not interested.

I looked it up (which was how I got the exact quote). It's been around for about 6 months. It's a phishing scheme. The National Senior Assistance Program doesn't exist. You will be asked for name, address, Social Security Number, credit card number or whatever they can get you to divulge. It's a variant of one that was around last year, where they said you were getting a free medical alert bracelet that someone else had bought for you and we just need some information so we can send it to you.

Prerecorded sales calls like this are illegal where I live, unless you have given the caller written permission to contact you.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2617 on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
I get two or more calls per day from an Oregon area code, but they don't leave voicemail messages.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2618 on: May 09, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
I get around 10 calls per day at the office from bizarre looking numbers/names on the caller id - having learned a new tip (I think from eHell) I pick up the phone and don't speak for 10 seconds.

The phone usually disconnects and I figure it's a scammer calling.  I think if they get no response your number falls out of the dialing system.  If a human says, "hello" I engage in the conversation. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2619 on: May 09, 2014, 11:54:13 PM »
Woo, hoo, I got a live one!  Copied exactly as received, with obvious exceptions.

National Security Agency nationnalscuritt@[redacted]

National Security Agency, is American's alliance prospect  we are working together with  Homeland Security and Federal Bureau of Investigation F.B.I to fight  crime globally.

There is Pending Transfer of US$10.5Million in your name  is  waiting for certification before it can fully released into your  account, in order to released this US10.5million in your name FBI and National Security Agency  need  DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C}  to certify that the fund  you are about to receive  is a genuine fund,  so  should in case you do not have the documents in your possession, contact our agent on provided information and  obtain  this DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate because  this is  only Clearance required to released this US$10.5M in your favor.

To have this US$10.5Million released in your account kindly do your best and get the needed documents  to enable all concern agency to perform the ratification of the transfer you are about to received from Federal Reserve Bank to your account.

DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C} is only proof Requested by Federal Reserve Bank to released the Deposit of US$10.5M in your account.

Listen very carefully If after this Three Days grace you did not get back to us with the mentioned document National Security Agency shall consider this money as an act of terrorism, money laundering . then Our security men will head to your City to apprehend you and bring you in for further interrogation.

To have these mentioned documents Contact Mark Kojo on Tel +[redacted] or email [ditto] for acquisition of mentioned Document which will facilitate for immediate release of the us$10.5million in your bank account.

Contact Person: Mark Kojo
E mail.address:
Telephone:
Office Address: 15A Awolowo !Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.Nigeria.

This US$10.5Million will be transferred into your bank account within two working days you secure DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C} from Nigeria where the US$10.5M was originated.

After providing the document National Security Agency will authorize Federal Reserve Bank to transfer us$10.5million into your bank account because with provision of this required document we shall clear the fund to be released in your account.

We need this  clearance Certificate as a proof to the below frozen wired transaction ID : 1010253822148 and Be informed that You do not have any rights to receive these US$10.5Milion UNTIL YOU SECURE clearance Certificate from our payment coordinator Mr Mark Kojo .

Note you don't have all the time in the world and delay is dangerous.

Mr. Brian Bluckwall
For: National Security Agency (NSA)

Funny, I know a number of people who work for NSA (it's one of the area's largest employers) and all of them can formulate a coherent English sentence.  Perhaps Mr. Bluckwall should have one of his colleagues proofread for him?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Amara

« Reply #2620 on: May 10, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
My favorite part is where the "US$10.5Million" is all yours--unless you wait more than three days to send them your "certificate." If you are a procrastinator the money becomes an "act of terrorism."

QUICK! Save the money! Send that certificate!

::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2621 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:12 AM »
And thinking about that further -- they have my contact info.  They have their agent's (AKA Mr. Scammer's) info that this is a "legitimate fund."  Why wouldn't they just put the two together?  Why should *I* have to get the certificate from their agent?  And how could I get that certificate in only 3 days, all the way from Nigeria?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2622 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
It's interesting thinking about how the scammers sit around creating variations of existing scams. "Let's see, we've got the 'you've got millions!' scam, and the 'we're the FBI/Police/whatever, and you must do what we say' scam. Hey! Let's put them together! It'll be twice as effective!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Coralreef

« Reply #2623 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
It's interesting thinking about how the scammers sit around creating variations of existing scams. "Let's see, we've got the 'you've got millions!' scam, and the 'we're the FBI/Police/whatever, and you must do what we say' scam. Hey! Let's put them together! It'll be twice as effective!"

"And to make sure everything is clear, we'll translate the thing with some online site.  Easy,peasy!"

[/right

HGolightly

« Reply #2624 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »
We got a call tonight from a representative from "our bank".  They were pretty clever for using a number one digit off from the bank's actual number and it came up on caller ID as "ABC" instead of A Banking Company. Of course when our actual bank calls us, they ask for us by name and not by asking "who am I speaking to?".  They are pretty good and I imagine have been, sadly, effective at ripping people off.