Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 625910 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2625 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
We got a call tonight from a representative from "our bank".  They were pretty clever for using a number one digit off from the bank's actual number and it came up on caller ID as "ABC" instead of A Banking Company. Of course when our actual bank calls us, they ask for us by name and not by asking "who am I speaking to?".  They are pretty good and I imagine have been, sadly, effective at ripping people off.

Did you notify your real bank about this?

HGolightly

« Reply #2626 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
We did! They gave us the number of the national anti fraud line to report it. One of the local radio stations have a Scam Line to get word out that DH emailed last night.

RubyCat

« Reply #2627 on: May 13, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
I've got a moocher story that's kind of sad.

Dh is a carpenter. He has a "friend" who is a bit of a loser - can never seem to hold a job for more than a couple of months but it's always somebody else's fault. Friend's wife has MS who had been having increasing difficulty carrying laundry from the basement. Dh said that if friend bought the material he would do most of the labor. Friend bought a few items on the list but then would keep making excuses until dh would give in and go buy the stock himself or pull from his own supplies. Dh resented it but felt so bad for the wife. Meanwhile friend has all the latest electronics and bought new motorcycle, so priorities, not money was the issue.

A couple of years later, friend started talking about wife needing a ramp to the house.  Although dh hated to do it, he told friend to call him when he had all the stock ready. He never did. Wife got her ramp so we guess that friend found somebody else to supply it.

MrTango

« Reply #2628 on: May 13, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
We got a call tonight from a representative from "our bank".  They were pretty clever for using a number one digit off from the bank's actual number and it came up on caller ID as "ABC" instead of A Banking Company. Of course when our actual bank calls us, they ask for us by name and not by asking "who am I speaking to?".  They are pretty good and I imagine have been, sadly, effective at ripping people off.

My response to that question would be: "You called me, you should know who I am.  Who are you?"

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2629 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
Sometimes I get phone calls where they say, literally, "This is your credit card company," or "This is your insurance company." Not the company's name. I'm always like, yeah right, and I hang up. Either it is a scam, hoping to catch people who use a variety of companies, or someone at my actual company is not very professional.
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2630 on: May 13, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
A kick starter that had the organiser disappearing has ended up in court.

http://slashdot.org/story/201527

andi

« Reply #2631 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:11 PM »
We just got a reminder at work about the toner/copier one. Evidently someone was "gotten" and it cost the company a bundle.

This just after our mandatory training video on security.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2632 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »

My response to that question would be: "You called me, you should know who I am.  Who are you?"
My usual response to "Who am I speaking to?" is "Who are you looking for?". That seems to frustrate the ones that don't know my name, enough that they often hang up on me.

Me: Hello.
Caller: Who am I speaking to?
Me: Who are you looking for?
Caller: <click>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2633 on: May 14, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
I received a call at my office line with a strange number. I answered with my nameless greeting (for the scammers) and it was a man with heavy Arabic accented English. He asked for me by name, then told me my tuition waiver wouldn't cover my honors thesis hours. Well, at least he wasn't a scammer!

Coralreef

« Reply #2634 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
I'm now getting scam emails in italian.  I'm international people! 

[/right

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2635 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »

My usual response to "Who am I speaking to?" is "Who are you looking for?". That seems to frustrate the ones that don't know my name, enough that they often hang up on me.

Me: Hello.
Caller: <click>

After the 3rd or 4th telemarketing/scam call in a day, I sometimes get a bit snippy.

Caller: "May I speak to the homeowner?"
My: "Only if you can ask for him by name. Bye" *click*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2636 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
If I get someone on the phone that I'm not quite sure what they are really looking for (scammer or just slow to get to the point) I use an alias.

One time had someone call and get my alias name then two hours later someone showed up for an appointment they had with Alias.  No such person here.  Hmmm.... it was an insurance salesman

alkira6

« Reply #2637 on: May 14, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »
I was rear ended yesterday around 3pm.  I started getting calls from ambulance chasers at 8am this morning.  I am having quite a bit of fun leading them on and then telling them that the person who hit me is uninsured and works at the children's museum.  They can't hang up fast enough after that.  ::)

Also - First, there where no injuries.  The girl who hit me was texting while driving, which is why she apparently "didn't see me" sitting at a red light.  Her car was crunched like a tin can.  My car had minimal damage (a bumper and rear cargo door need replacement).   I am probably a bad person for this, but I pulled a piece of her car from my rear bumper and kept it as a trophy.

Amara

« Reply #2638 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
Have I mentioned how envious (::)) I am of all of you who are eligible for millions of dollars--and for just such a small handling fee!-- and cruises and such? I don't get any of those.  :-[

However ... never fear. I have just received a notice from Verizon, my service provider, that apparently "the credit card we have on file for your Verizon Wireless service was declined when we attempted to bill you for your most recent service fees."

Well, aren't they kind. They even sent me a link to click on where "I could verify my account activity" and "once my payment information is updated you will be charged immediately as soon as payment is received."

They are apologetic about the inconvenience, of course, and let me know they appreciate "your support in helping us maintain the integrity of the Verizon Wireless system."

Aww, what a shame. While I am with Verizon I am not with Verizon Wireless, of whom I have never heard. I'm going to decline the privilege. >:D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2639 on: May 14, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
Have I mentioned how envious (::)) I am of all of you who are eligible for millions of dollars--and for just such a small handling fee!-- and cruises and such? I don't get any of those.  :-[

However ... never fear. I have just received a notice from Verizon, my service provider, that apparently "the credit card we have on file for your Verizon Wireless service was declined when we attempted to bill you for your most recent service fees."

Well, aren't they kind. They even sent me a link to click on where "I could verify my account activity" and "once my payment information is updated you will be charged immediately as soon as payment is received."

They are apologetic about the inconvenience, of course, and let me know they appreciate "your support in helping us maintain the integrity of the Verizon Wireless system."

Aww, what a shame. While I am with Verizon I am not with Verizon Wireless, of whom I have never heard. I'm going to decline the privilege. >:D

Also nice of them to charge you after they've received payment!!   ???