Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713739 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2670 on: May 17, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »
It never occurred to me that that conversation might have taken place at the boyfriend's house.  She said in her opening sentence "I once thought I was being called by a scammer" leading me to believe the call came in to her house or at least her phone.

If it happened at the boyfriend's house and phone, that would be entirely different.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2671 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »
I once THOUGHT I was being called by a scammer, but I wasn't.  This was the conversation (background:  my then-boyfriend, now-husband had only been dating for a short time at that point, and I didn't know all of his friends' voices):

*phone rings*
Woman's Voice:  Hello, is (Boyfriend's name) there?
Me:  Who's calling, please?
Woman:  Is he there or not?
Me:  Who's calling, please?
Woman:  Look, would you please put (Boyfriend's name) on the phone?
Me:  Not until I know who's calling!
Woman:  It's SUSAN!  His friend from SCHOOL!  Can I talk to him or not?
Me:  ... okay.  Here he is.

I bet she thought I was a jealous b-word, but honestly - why wouldn't she identify herself right from the get-go?
I fielded a similar call when the woman caller wanted to speak to my husband (who was at work at the time.)  She finally said in a very snippy tone "It's about one of his private charities.  Now put him on the phone."

I'm afraid that EvilMama broke out of her cage at that point.

EM: Guess again, chickie-baby.  *I* write all the checks and monitor the budget down to the penny.  If he's donating to a charity, it's out of his $10 a week snack money.  If you want a donation, you talk to ME. 

She hung up on me. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

magician5

« Reply #2672 on: May 17, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »
Just as, in parliamentary procedure, a motion to adjourn is always in order ... a request for "may I tell him who is calling, please?" is always in order. Regardless of whose phone or residence it is.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

deadbody

« Reply #2673 on: May 18, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Just as, in parliamentary procedure, a motion to adjourn is always in order ... a request for "may I tell him who is calling, please?" is always in order. Regardless of whose phone or residence it is.

I disagree strongly.  If it is not your house, you have no standing to ask who is calling, it is up to the resident to decide if they want to tell you I think.

"May I tell him who is calling, please" implies that you have standing to ask that question, and have gotten a request from the resident to screen their calls, if that is not the case, then it just seems like you are being nosy to ask.  If someone answered the phone at my house, even if I asked them to grab it cause I wasn't near it or something, I would be very peeved if they decided to ask who was calling for me.  It isn't their business.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2674 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
I disagree.

Perhaps it's a hangover from my working days when it was library policy to identify myself when I made a call.  It was also policy to ask who was calling if the caller didn't identify himself.

I would never think the question odd.   

deadbody

« Reply #2675 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
I disagree.

Perhaps it's a hangover from my working days when it was library policy to identify myself when I made a call.  It was also policy to ask who was calling if the caller didn't identify himself.

See if the caller identifies themselves by choice I don't care.  And you were asking who was calling the library as a matter of doing business, and making sure the caller got to the right person.  Those are valid reasons to ask.  I think someone just answering the phone at a friends house.

Might just be a different strokes for different folks thing.  I can see times where it isn't out of line (like in business) but in a private residence you aren't the resident of? I think it is out of line (assuming the resident didn't ask you to do it to screen calls etc)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2676 on: May 18, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
I disagree.

See if the caller identifies themselves by choice I don't care.  And you were asking who was calling the library as a matter of doing business, and making sure the caller got to the right person.  Those are valid reasons to ask.  I think someone just answering the phone at a friends house.

Might just be a different strokes for different folks thing.  I can see times where it isn't out of line (like in business) but in a private residence you aren't the resident of? I think it is out of line (assuming the resident didn't ask you to do it to screen calls etc)

If you are comfortable enough as a visitor to answer the house phone, I would think you would have the authority to ask "who may I say is calling, please."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2677 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
I disagree.

For me it is a courtesy thing. SO when I hand over the phone I can say "it's Pete from the drive through" so you know how is calling.

Shalamar

« Reply #2678 on: May 18, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Whoops, yes, I wasn't clear - the call from Susan was made to the house Boyfriend and I co-owned.

deadbody

« Reply #2679 on: May 18, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
Whoops, yes, I wasn't clear - the call from Susan was made to the house Boyfriend and I co-owned.

Ah if you are a resident of the house then she was for sure rude.

Redwing

« Reply #2680 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
So here is the first of today's scammer emails I'll get at the police department:

Please advise if you handle enforcement issues in family law.

Regards,
Akemi Koch

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2681 on: May 19, 2014, 11:34:43 AM »
So here is the first of today's scammer emails I'll get at the police department:

Please advise if you handle enforcement issues in family law.

Regards,
Akemi Koch
I looked this on up. The scammer is targeting attorneys, not police, but is probably using a purchased mailing list. It's a fake check scam. The email writer eventually finds an attorney who will take his case.  The attorney gets a huge check for a retainer, then the scammer announces that the case has been privately settled. "Please wire me a refund of the money but keep enough for your own expenses."  The check, of course, is bogus.

I saw a report from one attorney who got a check for $495,300! The money was to be used to pay the supposed divorce settlement. The scammer then suddenly asked for the money back.The attorney had the sense to say he would not send the money until his bank verified the check. When the attorney informed the scammer that the check was a fake, the scammer disappeared.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2682 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
May I just offer thanks and say that this thread is extremely useful.

We're fortunate that we don't get many scams but among the few we get, some have shown up here even before they appear in Snopes. 

E-Hellions are great on so many levels. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2683 on: May 21, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »

I disagree strongly.  If it is not your house, you have no standing to ask who is calling, it is up to the resident to decide if they want to tell you I think.

"May I tell him who is calling, please" implies that you have standing to ask that question, and have gotten a request from the resident to screen their calls, if that is not the case, then it just seems like you are being nosy to ask.  If someone answered the phone at my house, even if I asked them to grab it cause I wasn't near it or something, I would be very peeved if they decided to ask who was calling for me.  It isn't their business.

me too !

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2684 on: May 21, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
I don't know if last night's door-to-door (pest control) salesman was a scammer or not, but he was doing the "I'm working the neighborhood this week, so I have a special" spiel. It's a service we've been considering getting, but he wouldn't give me a business card, and I would have had to sign up right then.  I'll pass, thanks.