Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 652027 times)

Miss March

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2685 on: May 21, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
This was probably clueless of me, but I got a phone call which gave me a recording saying they were looking for "Random Man." The recording said that if I did NOT know Random Man, then I should "press 2." So I pressed 2, and after a second, someone in a busy call center came on the line and said "So to confirm, this is Random Man speaking?" I said "Uh, no. It said to press 2 if I don't know him, and I don't." Then the caller hung up me.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2686 on: May 21, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
Not a scam, but an interesting sales tactic...

You know those zipper-top bags businesses sometimes use to transport cash to/from the bank? I got a miniature one in the mail yesterday. It was a sales pitch from a loan company I've never heard of, enclosed in a letter-sized zipper-top bank bag, with a mailing label and proper postage on the front.

They won't get my business, but they do get points for a memorable mail ad.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2687 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
I don't know if last night's door-to-door (pest control) salesman was a scammer or not, but he was doing the "I'm working the neighborhood this week, so I have a special" spiel. It's a service we've been considering getting, but he wouldn't give me a business card, and I would have had to sign up right then.  I'll pass, thanks.
In most places, pest control companies have serious licensing and other legal requirements. Good chance the "company" is a couple o f guys who are unlicensed, carry no insurance, and plan on using chemicals obtained from who-knows-where.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2688 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
This was probably clueless of me, but I got a phone call which gave me a recording saying they were looking for "Random Man." The recording said that if I did NOT know Random Man, then I should "press 2." So I pressed 2, and after a second, someone in a busy call center came on the line and said "So to confirm, this is Random Man speaking?" I said "Uh, no. It said to press 2 if I don't know him, and I don't." Then the caller hung up me.

Sounds like bill collectors.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2689 on: May 21, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
I've been getting calls from an Oregon number, but they never leave messages. I searched the number online and it is a scammer that promises grants from the government in exchange for all your personal information. Number blocked.  >:D

Redwing

« Reply #2690 on: May 21, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
I don't know if last night's door-to-door (pest control) salesman was a scammer or not, but he was doing the "I'm working the neighborhood this week, so I have a special" spiel. It's a service we've been considering getting, but he wouldn't give me a business card, and I would have had to sign up right then.  I'll pass, thanks.

Sounds like a possible ruse burglary to me.  You decide to sign up.  He tells you he has to come inside to see what type of service you'll need.  He distracts you in one room and his heretofore unseen associate comes in and cleans out whatever he/she can while you are busy with the other guy. 

Or in another scenario, he tells you he has to come in and asks questions about the layout and where things may be stored so they are careful not to spray any harmful pesticides where valuables might be.  Comes back for the first time service and knows where everything is.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2691 on: May 21, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

I've been getting ones asking for Random Woman. Only the options are to press 1 if I am her, and 2 if I will be able to get her in a little while. No option for "she's not here right now," let alone "you have the wrong number." I have tried pressing 1 and 2, and they both just put me back in the loop of "press 1 if you are Random Woman, press 2 if not." I was hoping that one or the other would make it possible to tell them "Random Woman is not at this number, stop calling."

If this is a scam, it's unusually inept: I would at least expect there to be someone who would talk to me if I claimed to be Random Woman.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Shalamar

« Reply #2692 on: May 21, 2014, 04:24:02 PM »
Not sure if this guy was a scammer or just a bit clueless.  I was working last Friday, and the office was almost empty because it was a Canadian long weekend.  The doorbell to my floor rang (you need to ring the bell if you don't have an employee badge).  When I answered it, a somewhat scruffy fellow said "I was told to come to 123 Blah Street to pay my bill."  I said "Uh, this isn't Blah Street.  It's Yadda Yadda Street."  "Oh, did I say Blah?  I meant Yadda Yadda.  123 Yadda Yadda Street."  "This is still the wrong place.  This is 456 Yadda Yadda."  "Oh.  Then I have to go somewhere else?"  "Yup."  Whereupon he left.

There was something about the way he quickly said "Oh, did I say Blah?" that raised my red flags.  I started mentally reviewing how many people were left in the office, and whether or not they'd hear me if I had to scream.  Luckily, it didn't come to that!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:25:52 PM by Shalamar »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2693 on: May 21, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
Not sure if this guy was a scammer or just a bit clueless.  I was working last Friday, and the office was almost empty because it was a Canadian long weekend.  The doorbell to my floor rang (you need to ring the bell if you don't have an employee badge).  When I answered it, a somewhat scruffy fellow said "I was told to come to 123 Blah Street to pay my bill."  I said "Uh, this isn't Blah Street.  It's Yadda Yadda Street."  "Oh, did I say Blah?  I meant Yadda Yadda.  123 Yadda Yadda Street."  "This is still the wrong place.  This is 456 Yadda Yadda."  "Oh.  Then I have to go somewhere else?"  "Yup."  Whereupon he left.

There was something about the way he quickly said "Oh, did I say Blah?" that raised my red flags.  I started mentally reviewing how many people were left in the office, and whether or not they'd hear me if I had to scream.  Luckily, it didn't come to that!

I would leave a note for my fellow employees.  This guy now knows the exact address and might come back, with a better bluff this time.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2694 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

Sounds like a possible ruse burglary to me.  You decide to sign up.  He tells you he has to come inside to see what type of service you'll need.  He distracts you in one room and his heretofore unseen associate comes in and cleans out whatever he/she can while you are busy with the other guy. 

Or in another scenario, he tells you he has to come in and asks questions about the layout and where things may be stored so they are careful not to spray any harmful pesticides where valuables might be.  Comes back for the first time service and knows where everything is.

Possibly.  I wouldn't have let him in, though.  Any bug-spraying we'd want done would be on the outside.  He did go to the trouble of wearing a shirt with a pest control company logo on it.

Margo

« Reply #2695 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:43 PM »
I've had 2 'notice to appear' e-mails in the last week. I have no idea *which* court I'm supposed to be appearing at, because I have a nasty suspicious mind and didn't open the zip file containing the detailed information about 'my' case.  :D

Apparently the court may make a decision in my absence if I don't appear. Although as the court does not appear to know my name, I am pretty relaxed about that.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2696 on: May 23, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
Woo, hoo, I got a live one!  Copied exactly as received, with obvious exceptions.

National Security Agency nationnalscuritt@[redacted]

National Security Agency, is American's alliance prospect  we are working together with  Homeland Security and Federal Bureau of Investigation F.B.I to fight  crime globally.

There is Pending Transfer of US$10.5Million in your name  is  waiting for certification before it can fully released into your  account, in order to released this US10.5million in your name FBI and National Security Agency  need  DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C}  to certify that the fund  you are about to receive  is a genuine fund,  so  should in case you do not have the documents in your possession, contact our agent on provided information and  obtain  this DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate because  this is  only Clearance required to released this US$10.5M in your favor.

To have this US$10.5Million released in your account kindly do your best and get the needed documents  to enable all concern agency to perform the ratification of the transfer you are about to received from Federal Reserve Bank to your account.

DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C} is only proof Requested by Federal Reserve Bank to released the Deposit of US$10.5M in your account.

Listen very carefully If after this Three Days grace you did not get back to us with the mentioned document National Security Agency shall consider this money as an act of terrorism, money laundering . then Our security men will head to your City to apprehend you and bring you in for further interrogation.

To have these mentioned documents Contact Mark Kojo on Tel +[redacted] or email [ditto] for acquisition of mentioned Document which will facilitate for immediate release of the us$10.5million in your bank account.

Contact Person: Mark Kojo
E mail.address:
Telephone:
Office Address: 15A Awolowo !Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.Nigeria.

This US$10.5Million will be transferred into your bank account within two working days you secure DEPOSIT TRANSFER PERMIT CLEARANCE  Certificate  and Fund Identification Record Certificate (O.F.I.R.C} from Nigeria where the US$10.5M was originated.

After providing the document National Security Agency will authorize Federal Reserve Bank to transfer us$10.5million into your bank account because with provision of this required document we shall clear the fund to be released in your account.

We need this  clearance Certificate as a proof to the below frozen wired transaction ID : 1010253822148 and Be informed that You do not have any rights to receive these US$10.5Milion UNTIL YOU SECURE clearance Certificate from our payment coordinator Mr Mark Kojo .

Note you don't have all the time in the world and delay is dangerous.

Mr. Brian Bluckwall
For: National Security Agency (NSA)

Funny, I know a number of people who work for NSA (it's one of the area's largest employers) and all of them can formulate a coherent English sentence.  Perhaps Mr. Bluckwall should have one of his colleagues proofread for him?
I note that it has been 2 weeks, and NSA has yet to send one of Their agents to haul me in for questioning...

Wonder where they'd do it, since I can't get in the Ops center (or any other NSA building) without a security clearance?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2697 on: May 23, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
This just happened:

Caller: Ms. Red?
Me: Who's calling?
Caller: This is **** Cleaners. We talked before Thanksgiving.
Me: I don't think so.
Me: *click"

I didn't get the actual name of the company because she talked too fast.  Also, I wish I said "No we didn't talk before Thanksgiving. But thanks for lying. That lets me know you are a scammer. I will be reporting your telephone number." but I'm not a fast thinker.

At least I have a story for Ehell ;D.

MissRose

« Reply #2698 on: May 25, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
My 90 year old grandmother had one of those Microsoft scammers call her and it took some time for the guy to realize my 90 year old grandmother doesn't own a computer much has never touched one in her life.  She eventually hung up on him.

andi

« Reply #2699 on: May 25, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »
We got this today, we have no packages coming and I don't think the US post office uses ads

USPS.COM
Notification
Your parcel has arrived at May 24th, 2014. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

Print your label and show it in the nearest post office to get a parcel.

Print Shipping Label
Copyright 2014 USPS. All Rights Reserved.

BBC Latest News:
Pope Francis calls for recognition of Palestinian state
Hundreds of Palestinian Christians gathered in Bethlehem on the West Bank to greet Pope Francis in Manger Square on Sunday.

VIDEO: 'Bridesmaid' Spall in Cannes win
Timothy Spall has lifted the best actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival, for his role as the eponymous artists in Mike Leigh's Mr Turner.

Pope Francis prays at Bethlehem wall
Pope prays at Israel's West Bank separation barrier after urging an end to the "increasingly unacceptable" Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Children left 'at risk of harm'
"Widespread and serious" failures in Birmingham's Children's Services department are continuing to leave children at risk of harm, says Ofsted.