Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 629331 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2700 on: May 25, 2014, 10:38:50 PM »
USPS doesn't send "couriers," either, not for regular nor for special delivery.   SFAIK, they're all called mail carriers.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

pandabear

« Reply #2701 on: May 25, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
We got this today, we have no packages coming and I don't think the US post office uses ads

USPS.COM
Notification
Your parcel has arrived at May 24th, 2014. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

Print your label and show it in the nearest post office to get a parcel.

Print Shipping Label
Copyright 2014 USPS. All Rights Reserved.

BBC Latest News:
Pope Francis calls for recognition of Palestinian state
Hundreds of Palestinian Christians gathered in Bethlehem on the West Bank to greet Pope Francis in Manger Square on Sunday.

VIDEO: 'Bridesmaid' Spall in Cannes win
Timothy Spall has lifted the best actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival, for his role as the eponymous artists in Mike Leigh's Mr Turner.

Pope Francis prays at Bethlehem wall
Pope prays at Israel's West Bank separation barrier after urging an end to the "increasingly unacceptable" Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Children left 'at risk of harm'
"Widespread and serious" failures in Birmingham's Children's Services department are continuing to leave children at risk of harm, says Ofsted.

I got this *exact* same email today.   Weird.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2702 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
I got the computer call at 7:45 a.m. on Saturday. It's a good thing I was already up or I would have been a bit unpleasant. As it was, I was focused on getting out of the house to a family function, so all I could think to say was, "I'm not interested, thank you," and I hung up.

I realize 'I'm not interested' doesn't really apply in this situation, but it was what came to mind first thing.   ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2703 on: May 27, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
I've been getting increasingly hostile with the ones who will not leave me alone.  The computer one and the 'air duct cleaning' people.

'I have asked many times to be taken off your calling list.  I know this is a scam.  I'm not interested, nor will I ever be interested, in listening to you.  Take me off your [expletive] calling list and stop [expletive] calling me.'  In a very loud voice.

It's not working but it makes me feel better for a little bit.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2704 on: May 27, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
I feel for a scam. The company that did my driveway originally used to also do the sealcoating but they haven't done it in 2 -3 years. So they showed up last weekend and asked if I wanted it sealcoated. I asked the price - they said $350 - so I said yes. When all was said and done the said the final bill was $693! I did a stop payment on the check and told them I wanted an invoice and was only willing to pay the original amount they quoted. We shall see what they do but I am not very optimistic that i will win this one.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2705 on: May 27, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
I got a contact request on Skype recently that for a moment I thought might be legitimate. It purported to be from someone overseas in a country where my father has done charity work, and I wondered if it might be someone looking for him. Then, on a whim, I googled the name. Seven different scammer warning sites popped up. One had an almost identical blurb to the one I got. ScammerDude was blocked with a quickness and I warned my dad about it, just in case.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sleepy59

« Reply #2706 on: May 27, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
I got a contact request on Skype recently that for a moment I thought might be legitimate. It purported to be from someone overseas in a country where my father has done charity work, and I wondered if it might be someone looking for him. Then, on a whim, I googled the name. Seven different scammer warning sites popped up. One had an almost identical blurb to the one I got. ScammerDude was blocked with a quickness and I warned my dad about it, just in case.

I posted in the strange coincidences thread about someone on skype just a couple of days ago.  I got what looked like a genuine contact request from someone I don't know but I did know the person in the photo they were using!  A friend of mine has had his pictures used by scammers a lot and the police are involved to try and work out what can be done. He is based in the UK but most of the scammers are in Nigeria, they usually claim to be US military personnel. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2707 on: May 27, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
I've been getting increasingly hostile with the ones who will not leave me alone.  The computer one and the 'air duct cleaning' people.

'I have asked many times to be taken off your calling list.  I know this is a scam.  I'm not interested, nor will I ever be interested, in listening to you.  Take me off your [expletive] calling list and stop [expletive] calling me.'  In a very loud voice.

That's a scam?  I get one or two a year, and just tell them that we don't have any air ducts. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Reader

« Reply #2708 on: May 27, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
There is a new one going round facebook recently.  It involves getting a message from a friend asking if you are mad (but it's not them, but a hacker on a phising scheme).  When you reply in anyway, they say they have found gross pictures posted of you and then they send this link - http://Reader-photos.uglygrosspeople.?com.  When the link doesn't work, they tell you to take out the ? before the .com.  It then sends you to a fake login in screen for facebook where they ask for your sign in and password.  I got hit twice from the scammer before telling him/her to get lost.  Signed back in so I could copy the link for this post and the scammer is trying for a third time lol!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2709 on: May 27, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
In the message window on FB, there is a little cog icon like for settings - that will allow you to report the convo to FB.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2710 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »

That's a scam?  I get one or two a year, and just tell them that we don't have any air ducts.

I don't know for sure if it is a scam but since they are not following the 'Do Not Call' laws, they are scammers, as far as I'm concerned.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2711 on: May 28, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »

I don't know for sure if it is a scam but since they are not following the 'Do Not Call' laws, they are scammers, as far as I'm concerned.

for the computer one is it the windows scammers? If so, then I can help you with that! Just icily explain to them they you work on motherboard code for a living, and that you know a whole heck of a lot about computers and you know that this is a scam and "Do you want to continue? Because we really really can. Now take me off of your list, and don't call me again"

That's exactly what I did and they haven't called back since!

squashedfrog

« Reply #2712 on: May 28, 2014, 04:51:50 AM »
Not sure if I've put this but I used to get frequent calls from shelter, a homeless charity to whom I donate £4 a month.

Then I was made redundant and had to move back into my mum and dads.
They began calling 3 or 4 times a week, asking for me to upgrade to £10 a month.

I struggled to get one off the phone, as he kept going on about the recession and how people are struggling at the moment. I told him yes! I know as I've just lost my job and my flat thanks so I can't give you £10 a month I haven't got!  He paused, then rather snotting said "well, how much more CAN you afford to give us then?".

Cancelled the subscription there and then.  My husband watched a documentary where a telesales whistle blower admitted the person you call has to say NO three times before you let them out the phone down on you.

Margo

« Reply #2713 on: May 28, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
We got this today, we have no packages coming and I don't think the US post office uses ads

USPS.COM
Notification
Your parcel has arrived at May 24th, 2014. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

Print your label and show it in the nearest post office to get a parcel.

Print Shipping Label
Copyright 2014 USPS. All Rights Reserved.

BBC Latest News:
Pope Francis calls for recognition of Palestinian state
Hundreds of Palestinian Christians gathered in Bethlehem on the West Bank to greet Pope Francis in Manger Square on Sunday.

VIDEO: 'Bridesmaid' Spall in Cannes win
Timothy Spall has lifted the best actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival, for his role as the eponymous artists in Mike Leigh's Mr Turner.

Pope Francis prays at Bethlehem wall
Pope prays at Israel's West Bank separation barrier after urging an end to the "increasingly unacceptable" Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Children left 'at risk of harm'
"Widespread and serious" failures in Birmingham's Children's Services department are continuing to leave children at risk of harm, says Ofsted.

I got this *exact* same email today.   Weird.

Generally these are malware. if you click to open the file with the 'label' in it will infect your PC.

hjaye

« Reply #2714 on: May 28, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
Not sure if I've put this but I used to get frequent calls from shelter, a homeless charity to whom I donate £4 a month.

Then I was made redundant and had to move back into my mum and dads.
They began calling 3 or 4 times a week, asking for me to upgrade to £10 a month.

I struggled to get one off the phone, as he kept going on about the recession and how people are struggling at the moment. I told him yes! I know as I've just lost my job and my flat thanks so I can't give you £10 a month I haven't got!  He paused, then rather snotting said "well, how much more CAN you afford to give us then?".

Cancelled the subscription there and then.  My husband watched a documentary where a telesales whistle blower admitted the person you call has to say NO three times before you let them out the phone down on you.

That's because they count on most people wanting to be nice.  Most people don't want to be rude, so they sit and listen and then they JADE and the telemarketer will deflect and counter.  I very rarely get calls anymore, mainly because I work from home so I just keep the phone off the hook all day.  I hope it gets very frustrating for them to always get a busy signal when they call me......................... >:D

However on the rare occasion when I get one at night, I just talk over them.  "Thank you, I'm not interested, don't call back" and then I hang up.  I have no interest in engaging with them whatsoever.