Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 636470 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2715 on: May 28, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Not sure if I've put this but I used to get frequent calls from shelter, a homeless charity to whom I donate 4 a month.

Then I was made redundant and had to move back into my mum and dads.
They began calling 3 or 4 times a week, asking for me to upgrade to 10 a month.

I struggled to get one off the phone, as he kept going on about the recession and how people are struggling at the moment. I told him yes! I know as I've just lost my job and my flat thanks so I can't give you 10 a month I haven't got!  He paused, then rather snotting said "well, how much more CAN you afford to give us then?".

Cancelled the subscription there and then.  My husband watched a documentary where a telesales whistle blower admitted the person you call has to say NO three times before you let them out the phone down on you.

That's because they count on most people wanting to be nice.  Most people don't want to be rude, so they sit and listen and then they JADE and the telemarketer will deflect and counter.  I very rarely get calls anymore, mainly because I work from home so I just keep the phone off the hook all day.  I hope it gets very frustrating for them to always get a busy signal when they call me......................... >:D

However on the rare occasion when I get one at night, I just talk over them.  "Thank you, I'm not interested, don't call back" and then I hang up.  I have no interest in engaging with them whatsoever.

Yeah, at this point I just hang up as soon as I realize it's a company or charity. Even if it's a charity I support, I don't want them calling me and asking for more money. I give regularly and deliberately what I'm comfortable with. I realize it's their job but I don't like experiencing it. I figure the sooner I hang up, the sooner they can go on to the next name on the list, who might by chance be someone who will give them money. Sometimes I say, "I'm sorry, I don't donate over the phone," before hanging up.
~Lynn2000

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2716 on: May 28, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
We don't normally answer numbers we don't recognize, but Lucas answered one last evening and caller asked for me specificly.

It was a "survey" with loaded questions, so about two questions into it, I said, "You want money, don't you?" The answer was not appropriate to my question, and by the next question on the survey, I realized it was some sort of voice-activated robocall that almost sounded like a real person except for being just a little too perky. I did say, "Goodbye" before I hung up because as we all know, we must be polite to machines, too.  ;)

Anyway, I was really impressed with the technology! I also know that any called ID with the word "life" in it is probably not one we want to answer.

GreenHall

« Reply #2717 on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
Since I don't answer numbers I don't know, and this call generally happens during the day when I'm not home.  (And just yesterday I went cordless and won't receive home calls anymore anyway...so really really extremely moot now...)

I've had several missed calls on my log from 'SSI' with a 7 (not 10) digit number.  I just wonder what the deal is.  If Social Security (only reference I have for those initials) really wanted to contact me, they could leave a message, send mail (the federal government has my address), notify me via my work (SS comes off every check). 

Just curious mostly about what this one is (if it even is a scam, etc).  Anyone else seen this?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2718 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »

...  I've had several missed calls on my log from 'SSI' with a 7 (not 10) digit number.  ...

Are you certain that the SSI wasn't really a 551?  That would be a New Jersey area code and would supply the missing three numbers.

GreenHall

« Reply #2719 on: May 28, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

...  I've had several missed calls on my log from 'SSI' with a 7 (not 10) digit number.  ...

Are you certain that the SSI wasn't really a 551?  That would be a New Jersey area code and would supply the missing three numbers.
It was showing up in the 'Name' section of the caller ID, with the number below.  All other numbers show up in 10 digit format on the one line for the number.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2720 on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
I have had phone numbers show up in the name portion also

I have also gotten calls where the number shows up as 000-000-0000  now we all know that's impossible, how do they get away with this kind of stuff?

I also got another email from the FBI warning me I was about to lose my millions...I probably get two scam emails a day, wish we could hit a button and a small amount of electricity travel through the computer and zap the sender - please Bill Gates work on this !   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2721 on: May 28, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
Last week, my DH called me after a strange incident on the road. He was in the right lane of a 6 lane divided road. In the lane next to him another driver jerked her car suddenly, then pulled over and signaled my DH to do so also. However, the cars had not made contact. DH drives a marked commercial vehicle. He drove a mile down the road, then pulled into a parking lot to look at his vehicle and make sure there was no damage. No damage, not even a scrape.

He had noticed when the woman pulled over that there was a large dent on the left of her vehicle. However, since he was in the right lane and had been in the right lane since turning onto that road there was no way he was involved in the damage.

Now, the other driver's boyfriend, who owns the car called DH's shop, claiming he hit their car and caused the damage. When they explained the situation, the BF became irate and stated he was going to call an attorney. DH drove his vehicle across the street from their shop to the police station and completed a statement.

An hour later the woman in the car shows up at the shop, demanding the company give her their insurance information. The police were called.

That's all we know so far.

pwv

« Reply #2722 on: May 28, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
I have a land line with an answering machine.

I went out of town for the holiday weekend and when I came back I had 11 messages on caller-id but only two had left a message. 

the first name/phone on caller-id was  my  name and home phone.  At first I thought my phone had called itself but when I mentioned it to several people, they said they had gotten the same type of phone call with their name on the caller-id.  One person said she answered and it was a telemarketer calling about credit rates.

So, if you get a phone call from yourself, don't answer it.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2723 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
Last week, my DH called me after a strange incident on the road. He was in the right lane of a 6 lane divided road. In the lane next to him another driver jerked her car suddenly, then pulled over and signaled my DH to do so also. However, the cars had not made contact. DH drives a marked commercial vehicle. He drove a mile down the road, then pulled into a parking lot to look at his vehicle and make sure there was no damage. No damage, not even a scrape.

He had noticed when the woman pulled over that there was a large dent on the left of her vehicle. However, since he was in the right lane and had been in the right lane since turning onto that road there was no way he was involved in the damage.

Now, the other driver's boyfriend, who owns the car called DH's shop, claiming he hit their car and caused the damage. When they explained the situation, the BF became irate and stated he was going to call an attorney. DH drove his vehicle across the street from their shop to the police station and completed a statement.

An hour later the woman in the car shows up at the shop, demanding the company give her their insurance information. The police were called.

Sounds like a classic scam to me. They have a dent. They don't want to pay for it. What to do? Why, pretend someone hit them and insist the person pay for it, of course! Bonus - a company car that is easily identifiable and the business owner probably will believe them and pay up without listening to the driver's side of the story.

I'm glad they called the police.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Paper Roses

« Reply #2724 on: May 28, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
My 17-year-old daughter works as a cashier at a grocery store.  This weekend, a couple came in and checked out through her lane.  They bought a package of steak tips, several bottles of marinade, and several cases of soda.  My daughter remembered them in particular because she remembered packing the order - she wrapped the steak tips in a plastic bag, then put them in another bag, then put the bottles of marinade on top of it.

Short time later, the woman stormed back into the store and right to DD's register, claiming that the steak tips weren't in the bag when they got home, and that they had to make a special trip back to the store because of it.  Later, she claimed that they "didn't even leave the store with them."  (So, if they knew they weren't in the bag when they left the store, why go all the way home and then come back?)  DD said that she then recalled that they had bought a lot more marinade than they would ever have needed for the amount of meat they had. 

Obviously, they made their purchase, went home and put the steak tips in the refrigerator (or whatever) then went back and tried to scam a second package of meat. 

Nice try, but it didn't work.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2725 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

Sounds like a classic scam to me. They have a dent. They don't want to pay for it. What to do? Why, pretend someone hit them and insist the person pay for it, of course! Bonus - a company car that is easily identifiable and the business owner probably will believe them and pay up without listening to the driver's side of the story.

I'm glad they called the police.

It turns out that the other driver completed a short form accident report (the kind used in a crash without injury) and claimed that DH caused the wreck on another street and refused to acknowledge her or pull over.

DH has taken pictures of the truck, those have been sent to the insurance company. He thinks the other driver hit a parking block or bollard since the entire driver's side front corner is crumpled then wanted to have someone to blame for it.

DollyPond

« Reply #2726 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »

the first name/phone on caller-id was  my  name and home phone.  At first I thought my phone had called itself but when I mentioned it to several people, they said they had gotten the same type of phone call with their name on the caller-id.  One person said she answered and it was a telemarketer calling about credit rates.

This happened to me as well. I thought "huh? how can I be calling myself??"  and yes it was a robocall from a credit card agency.

Shalamar

« Reply #2727 on: May 29, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »

But what if it's me from the future telling me about winning lottery numbers?  I can't take that chance!   :D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2728 on: May 29, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »

But what if it's me from the future telling me about winning lottery numbers?  I can't take that chance!   :D

Could be the Matrix or Xmen scenarios, can't take the chance!

MrTango

« Reply #2729 on: May 29, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
I got an email from an AOL address which appears to belong to someone I used to work with until he was transferred to a different parish out of state.  The email claimed that he had sent me a document that I could view through Google docs, which I could access by following the link provided, clicking on the appropriate service provider (i.e. AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, hotmail, etc) and logging in with my username/password.

Sorry, but I'm not going to do that.  I did send an email to this person through his business email address to let him know that his AOL account got hacked (or someone is using an AOL account to pose as him).