News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 22, 2017, 11:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2086134 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2730 on: May 30, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
The other driver in my DH's strange no accident story is now being charged with filing a false report. We're hoping the charges stick.

Also, there is yellow paint on her black SUV in the dent. DH drives a blue pickup. He has no damage or rub streaks on his truck.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Margo

« Reply #2731 on: May 30, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
I had a simialar issue with KwikFit. I can't remember exactly what it was they were trying to convince me was wrong and needed replacing - they backtracked at great speed when I pointed out that the whateveritwas has been fitted, by them, less than a month previously. (at least the first time I actually needed it, I'd only gone to them because they had it in stock and my normal garage didn't)

Its a fair few years ago now, but I still treat them with great caution. I have had my MoT done there since, as they open on Sundays, but I always make sure to tell them I have an appointment booked with my own garage to do any work necessary should it fail, and so far, it's always passed! (MoT tests are mandatory, but cheap - unscrupulous garages can make money on doing the work needed to get the car to pass)

The garage I use for choice is not the cheapest around, but I trust them.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2732 on: May 30, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »
The other driver in my DH's strange no accident story is now being charged with filing a false report. We're hoping the charges stick.

Also, there is yellow paint on her black SUV in the dent. DH drives a blue pickup. He has no damage or rub streaks on his truck.

When my old black Toyota got hit, at first I thought there was yellow paint rubbed off the offender's car and into my damage, but it was actually the undercoating on my own car poking through because of the hit. The other, bigger and heavier, car did not have damage, either, but my car was quite damaged small area and an axle/wheel was bent.

I'm not saying she's forthright and honest, but it's an easy mistake to make.

larkrise

« Reply #2733 on: May 30, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
I got this one this morning:

Dear Esteemed Taxpayer,

We are emailing you, to update you on our 2014 information upgrade. You can now apply for your TAX RETURNS directly through our IRS website as soon as you complete the form on the Link Below;

CLICK HERE

* Do not reply to this email this is an automated notification *

Thank you for using our services.

Headquarters
Internal Revenue Service, OS:P
1111 Constitution Avenue NW, IR-7052
Washington, DC 20224

Esteemed Taxpayer? LOL.  :o  ::)

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #2734 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »
I had a police officer tell me once that credit card fraud is a felony, and the amount being purchased with the card didn't matter.  He used the example of someone going into a store and stealing a pack of gum.  If you just steal the gum, it's a small misdemeanor.  If you used a credit card fraudulently to purchase the same pack of gum, it would be a felony.

Good to know. I have some family members that are...let's just say "bad people". Two of the daughters (I think they're 17 & 20 now) have been stealing credit cards for years & using them to buy stuff. So far, they (with their Mom's help) have convinced everybody that caught them that it was a "misunderstanding" (friend's parents & their grandparents), but now the next time my mom tells me a story about them, I can point out that if/when they finally do it to someone who will press charges, they're looking at a felony.

I'm betting they're both going to end up in jail before they're 30. Maybe even before they're 25.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2735 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
I had a police officer tell me once that credit card fraud is a felony, and the amount being purchased with the card didn't matter.  He used the example of someone going into a store and stealing a pack of gum.  If you just steal the gum, it's a small misdemeanor.  If you used a credit card fraudulently to purchase the same pack of gum, it would be a felony.

Good to know. I have some family members that are...let's just say "bad people". Two of the daughters (I think they're 17 & 20 now) have been stealing credit cards for years & using them to buy stuff. So far, they (with their Mom's help) have convinced everybody that caught them that it was a "misunderstanding" (friend's parents & their grandparents), but now the next time my mom tells me a story about them, I can point out that if/when they finally do it to someone who will press charges, they're looking at a felony.

I'm betting they're both going to end up in jail before they're 30. Maybe even before they're 25.

that really depends on where you live. it's not a blanket law that covers all 50 states and the thousands of municipalities in the US. 

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #2736 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »

that really depends on where you live. it's not a blanket law that covers all 50 states and the thousands of municipalities in the US.

Also good to know. Thank you!

They're in Pennsylvania. I had just assumed that felonies had the same rules in all states, but I know nearly nothing about what is decided at a state level vs a federal level.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2737 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
I replaced my wiper blades myself last Saturday. I take my car in for a service today and just got a phone call from the garage saying "Your wipers are worn, you need to replace them. It'll be a couple of hundred bucks to replace them." (I'm translating currency a bit, but R700 is near $80 I think).

The person calling was a bit lost for words when I told them I'd replaced them last week. They asked where I'd bought them from, I told them. Awkward silence. "I'll just tell the mechanics to leave then alone." Yes, do that.

When I go pick up my car I'm going to very carefully inspect my wipers. If they're not obviously damaged I'm going to descend like the wrath of deity on them and make them point out exactly where they're worn. If they are worn, I've got the matching pair of new ones with me (the two front ones are different lengths, and they only sell them in pairs, so I have one of each size spare, plus they're slightly the wrong size for my car, so if I suddenly have worn standard size wipers I know they swapped them), and I'm going to carefully make sure they haven't swapped out my nifty new ones with old ones to spite me. I'm probably paranoid, but now I know I can't trust them.

I'm extra annoyed because this is an official Toyota service centre.

The other option is that the wipers are crap, in which case I'm descending on the shop that sold them to me. Most likely the garage is trying to fleece me.
So it turns out only one of my three wipers (the back one that I didn't replace) was a bit worn, but they still wanted to charge me R800(!!) to replace all three even though the front two were brand new.

I'd be issuing a very detailed complaint to Toyota corporate.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2738 on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »

I may have posted this here before but pretty much the same thing happened to a friend of mine. Only she was at the mall, and some woman parked near her tried to claim my friend hit her car while pulling INTO the parking space.

Probelm was the dent on this woman's car (larger SUV; friend drove a normal sized sedan) was in the back, not on the side, and friend's car was dark green, but the paint on the accuser's car was either orange or white. Woman pitched a fit, so my friend exchanged ins info, then called her own company to report what happened, and to tell them she had not hit anyone.

In the end, after her ins. investigated, they too agreed that there was no way friend could have hit the SUV as the damage was more consistent with someone backing into a pole straight on, rather than someone clipping her side bumper pulling out of or into a parking space. Don't know what happened to the SUV driver, but my friend was in the clear. We speculate that she hit something and was afraid her husband would be upset, as she had mentioned him to friend, and how he'd be upset at the "accident"

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2739 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
What pings the scammer bells in my head is that the other driver didn't file the report until the next day, at her boyfriend's insistence. I have no question that my DH was involved, other than passing by other driver.

The fact that this is a brand new SUV makes me wonder what she hit.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Snooks

« Reply #2740 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
I think a shop thought I was a scammer at the weekend.  I bought some trousers and the tag had been pulled off and put in the pocket, when I went to pay I said "Oh the tag's in the pocket" and the girl at the next till said to the girl running my purchase through "Check they match"  :-[

lilfox

« Reply #2741 on: May 30, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
I think a shop thought I was a scammer at the weekend.  I bought some trousers and the tag had been pulled off and put in the pocket, when I went to pay I said "Oh the tag's in the pocket" and the girl at the next till said to the girl running my purchase through "Check they match"  :-[

I think that's a good store policy in that it actually protects you - if someone had pulled off the lower-price tag for your trousers and swapped it for a higher-priced tag from another item and the clerk didn't check, you'd be on the hook to pay more, incorrectly, because that person scammed or tried to scam them with the earlier tag swap.

That said, if the clerk said it with any kind of snideness or suspicion, then that would be rude.  Tags go missing or get torn off all the time, and the cause could absolutely be innocent.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2742 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:01 PM »
I have a garage that I trust, and I work there now. (Apparently, when you spend enough money at a garage, they offer you a job!)   We have heard some serious horror stories about Jiffy Lube and other chains, and dealerships.  A lot of those unhappy customers end up at our garage. 

I had a tire place try to tell me that 'the last guy who changed your tire cross-threaded the nut, so the bolts have to be replaced.'   I changed the tire myself.  By hand.  I'm strong, but I'm not *that* strong.  They replaced the bolts, free of charge.

One of my friends had her oil changed at Jiffy Lube, and her car burned up.  Jiffy Lube refuses to take responsibility for their mistake.  She's still fighting with them, and she has no car.  And no money.

One of our garage's customers was *yelled* at by her oil change place, about her brakes being so bad that they were dangerous to drive, but when they found out she had no money, they changed their tune and said, 'come back when you have the $1500'.   She came to our garage.  Her brakes and rotors were fine.  The noise in her wheel was a pebble in the hubcap.  TRUE STORY.  I can't make this stuff up. That's how she, and her family, and everybody she talks to, is now one of our customers.

So we tell everyone in general to avoid dealerships and chains.  It's so hard to find a trustworthy garage.  I feel so fortunate that I found mine.  I may never move away.

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that this happened at Jiffy Lube...might have been Firestone...it's happened twice actually.  Here's one of them.

So, I got this coupon in the mail for a dirt cheap oil change, something super cheap, like $10-12 range.  Once I got in there they tried to tell me all kinds of stuff was wrong with my car.  I needed new brakes $600, all my wipers replaced $50, My fuel injectors needed to be removed to be cleaned $150, and my air filter needed to be changed $49.99.  There might have been more, but that's what sticks in my mind.

They got an earful... My brakes and rotors have just been replaced and wasn't even $200. The most expensive wipers for my car are $17.99 for the set and it doesn't even involve screws to change them. I can dump a container of $8 Seafoam in my gas tank to clean my fuel injectors if they are really that bad and removing fuel injectors is always a last resort. And finally, the most high end, expensive air filter for my car is a whopping $11.99 at AutoZone and the guys there will change it for free.

The guy just had this deer in headlights look that this "little girl" just dressed him down and actually knew what she was talking about.  I started a revolution and a mob of angry women who overheard the conversation started in on him.  He had got several on them of the fuel injector cleaning bit.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #2743 on: May 30, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »
I have a garage that I trust, and I work there now. (Apparently, when you spend enough money at a garage, they offer you a job!)   We have heard some serious horror stories about Jiffy Lube and other chains, and dealerships.  A lot of those unhappy customers end up at our garage. 

I had a tire place try to tell me that 'the last guy who changed your tire cross-threaded the nut, so the bolts have to be replaced.'   I changed the tire myself.  By hand.  I'm strong, but I'm not *that* strong.  They replaced the bolts, free of charge.

One of my friends had her oil changed at Jiffy Lube, and her car burned up.  Jiffy Lube refuses to take responsibility for their mistake.  She's still fighting with them, and she has no car.  And no money.

One of our garage's customers was *yelled* at by her oil change place, about her brakes being so bad that they were dangerous to drive, but when they found out she had no money, they changed their tune and said, 'come back when you have the $1500'.   She came to our garage.  Her brakes and rotors were fine.  The noise in her wheel was a pebble in the hubcap.  TRUE STORY.  I can't make this stuff up. That's how she, and her family, and everybody she talks to, is now one of our customers.

So we tell everyone in general to avoid dealerships and chains.  It's so hard to find a trustworthy garage.  I feel so fortunate that I found mine.  I may never move away.

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that this happened at Jiffy Lube...might have been Firestone...it's happened twice actually.  Here's one of them.

So, I got this coupon in the mail for a dirt cheap oil change, something super cheap, like $10-12 range.  Once I got in there they tried to tell me all kinds of stuff was wrong with my car.  I needed new brakes $600, all my wipers replaced $50, My fuel injectors needed to be removed to be cleaned $150, and my air filter needed to be changed $49.99.  There might have been more, but that's what sticks in my mind.

They got an earful... My brakes and rotors have just been replaced and wasn't even $200. The most expensive wipers for my car are $17.99 for the set and it doesn't even involve screws to change them. I can dump a container of $8 Seafoam in my gas tank to clean my fuel injectors if they are really that bad and removing fuel injectors is always a last resort. And finally, the most high end, expensive air filter for my car is a whopping $11.99 at AutoZone and the guys there will change it for free.

The guy just had this deer in headlights look that this "little girl" just dressed him down and actually knew what she was talking about.  I started a revolution and a mob of angry women who overheard the conversation started in on him.  He had got several on them of the fuel injector cleaning bit.

I used to take my truck to the local Jiffy Lube until they shut it down.  They'd always show me my air filter and try to get me to buy a new one, but I always declined and they didn't push.  I know that I surprised the guy the day that he brought in my air filter and said that it looked pretty clean.  I told him it had better as I had just changed it that morning!

Micah

« Reply #2744 on: May 30, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
We have four mechanics in my town, all independant. I won't go near two of them and I tell everyone who asks exactly why.

Just after I met my boyfriend my car blew a tire. They were retread tires and the tread just completely stripped. I took the rim to one garage to get the tire replaced. The mechanic/owner told me that the tires were an odd profile that they didn't make anymore and I'd have to replace all four with a different profile. I knew this was a complete load of bovine excrement, so I just nodded and went home. When boyfriend got home I told him about it. He jumped in my car alone and drove it down to the same garage. When he got back, half an hour later, the tire had been replaced. There had been the exact one I needed in stock out the back!  >:(

The other one I won't go to is also a panel beater. The car I had at the time was an older XR6 falcon, slightly on the collectable side. It got a bit of rust in one of the sideskirts, so I took it down to get a quote. He quoted me $3000 dollars. I know a fair bit about basic mechanics, but nothing about panel beating, so I didn't know if it was fair or not. I told boyfriend the quote. He shook his head, drove the car down himself and got a quote for a thousand dollars less! Then he contacted a mate who was a qualified panel beater but basically did it for fun and a bit of cash on the side. He did it for $500.

It absolutely stinks, but the amount of mechanics who try and take advantage of people, particularly women, is astounding. My current mechanic is great. Explains everything, doesn't treat me like a moron because I've got ovaries and tries to cut costs for me wherever he can. He convinced me to sell my XR6. It was getting to an age where little things were constantly going wrong and in order for it to keep its value I had to get them fixed. He told me exactly how much I'd have to outlay to keep it pristine and how much I'd get for it if I sold it then rather than later. He didn't make any sort of commision on it and I sold it to someone completely unconnected to him. I still miss that car, but he was right.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."