Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 657163 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2730 on: May 29, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Knyvett House, 1 Kingsbury Crescent,
Staines-upon-Thames, Staines TW18 3BA,
United Kingdom
My name is Jay Jagatia, Managing Director at OM Security agency Ltd. I am writing you concerning a situation which has come to my notice and i would like a confirmation from you before i proceed with my actions.
A consignment box containing a very huge amount of Fund about $50Million USD was brought here to be kept in custody by one Delegate Alfred Nestor who was assigned to handle issues involving foreign Beneficiaries fund. This was done
 some months ago which the Agent stressed that the consignment belongs to you.
The reason why i am writing you is because a power of attorney was forwarded to our office this morning by Mr. Douglas Wilson and they introduced themselves as Kenji Kamiyama and Mr. Dian Noeh Abubakar and the Barrister's name Terry Duncan.They claim you have asked them to claim the fund in the consignment on your behalf.
Kindly forward the following information to us to enable us verify with the information we have on our payment file.
1, Your full name and address
2, Your private telephone number
3, Your age and occupation
4, Your identification card.
I await for your response.
Yours Sincerely,
Director Jay Jagatia.

i lernt gud ritIng skilz en seKuritee skool   ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:43:43 PM by Miss Misery »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2731 on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
The latest one to make the news here is an elderly man who got fleeced of his superannuation by a romance scammer.  He wanted the money back, so they said he'd be repaid after doing them a favour.  He was sent $16,000 USD and asked to change it to Australian currency and send it to West Africa. 

If you guessed the money was counterfeit and the poor chap got arrested, have a gold star.  Sadly, even his wife was played by the scammers.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2317601/online-romance-a-tale-of-deceit/?cs=95

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2732 on: May 30, 2014, 05:06:38 AM »
I replaced my wiper blades myself last Saturday. I take my car in for a service today and just got a phone call from the garage saying "Your wipers are worn, you need to replace them. It'll be a couple of hundred bucks to replace them." (I'm translating currency a bit, but R700 is near $80 I think).

The person calling was a bit lost for words when I told them I'd replaced them last week. They asked where I'd bought them from, I told them. Awkward silence. "I'll just tell the mechanics to leave then alone." Yes, do that.

When I go pick up my car I'm going to very carefully inspect my wipers. If they're not obviously damaged I'm going to descend like the wrath of deity on them and make them point out exactly where they're worn. If they are worn, I've got the matching pair of new ones with me (the two front ones are different lengths, and they only sell them in pairs, so I have one of each size spare, plus they're slightly the wrong size for my car, so if I suddenly have worn standard size wipers I know they swapped them), and I'm going to carefully make sure they haven't swapped out my nifty new ones with old ones to spite me. I'm probably paranoid, but now I know I can't trust them.

I'm extra annoyed because this is an official Toyota service centre.

The other option is that the wipers are crap, in which case I'm descending on the shop that sold them to me. Most likely the garage is trying to fleece me.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2733 on: May 30, 2014, 08:38:27 AM »
I replaced my wiper blades myself last Saturday. I take my car in for a service today and just got a phone call from the garage saying "Your wipers are worn, you need to replace them. It'll be a couple of hundred bucks to replace them." (I'm translating currency a bit, but R700 is near $80 I think).

The person calling was a bit lost for words when I told them I'd replaced them last week. They asked where I'd bought them from, I told them. Awkward silence. "I'll just tell the mechanics to leave then alone." Yes, do that.

When I go pick up my car I'm going to very carefully inspect my wipers. If they're not obviously damaged I'm going to descend like the wrath of deity on them and make them point out exactly where they're worn. If they are worn, I've got the matching pair of new ones with me (the two front ones are different lengths, and they only sell them in pairs, so I have one of each size spare, plus they're slightly the wrong size for my car, so if I suddenly have worn standard size wipers I know they swapped them), and I'm going to carefully make sure they haven't swapped out my nifty new ones with old ones to spite me. I'm probably paranoid, but now I know I can't trust them.

I'm extra annoyed because this is an official Toyota service centre.

The other option is that the wipers are crap, in which case I'm descending on the shop that sold them to me. Most likely the garage is trying to fleece me.
So it turns out only one of my three wipers (the back one that I didn't replace) was a bit worn, but they still wanted to charge me R800(!!) to replace all three even though the front two were brand new.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Miss March

« Reply #2734 on: May 30, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
One time, my husband took his car to a Jiffy Lube for service. While he was there, a mechanic suggested that he buy a new cap for his engine. The mechanic unscrewed the current cap in the car and ran it on a device to demonstrate how it only reached such and such level of protection. Then he ran one of the caps that he was selling on the machine, and it did much better. After this demonstration, my husband said "Yes, I will buy your cap."

Imagine his surprise when the next time he was in Jiffy Lube, another mechanic approached him with the exact same pitch- that he needed to change his engine cap. My husband stood quietly and let the man go through the whole demonstration- taking off the cap and running it, and it getting poor results. After he was finished, my husband looked him in the eye and said "It's very strange that my cap would fail the test, seeing as I bought your new cap earlier this year." The mechanic looked flummoxed, went to the computer and checked DH's record, and then shamefacedly came bustling back with some excuse that somehow he hadn't gotten an effective cap, and said he'd be happy to set DH up with a new one, free of charge. To my husband's eyes, he felt pretty taken in and he has never gone back to Jiffy Lube again.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2735 on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
One time, my husband took his car to a Jiffy Lube for service. While he was there, a mechanic suggested that he buy a new cap for his engine. The mechanic unscrewed the current cap in the car and ran it on a device to demonstrate how it only reached such and such level of protection. Then he ran one of the caps that he was selling on the machine, and it did much better. After this demonstration, my husband said "Yes, I will buy your cap."

Imagine his surprise when the next time he was in Jiffy Lube, another mechanic approached him with the exact same pitch- that he needed to change his engine cap. My husband stood quietly and let the man go through the whole demonstration- taking off the cap and running it, and it getting poor results. After he was finished, my husband looked him in the eye and said "It's very strange that my cap would fail the test, seeing as I bought your new cap earlier this year." The mechanic looked flummoxed, went to the computer and checked DH's record, and then shamefacedly came bustling back with some excuse that somehow he hadn't gotten an effective cap, and said he'd be happy to set DH up with a new one, free of charge. To my husband's eyes, he felt pretty taken in and he has never gone back to Jiffy Lube again.

My ex was always going to Jiffy Lube and they were always telling him this or that about the engine cap. He'd had it checked by a "regular" mechanic after one of the times, and the mechanic said it was odd in some way i can't recall, but perfectly functional. So he started ignoring the engine cap pitch. They still pitched it every time he went. It must be a part of their business model.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #2736 on: May 30, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »
Just curious, but what is an engine cap?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2737 on: May 30, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
Just curious, but what is an engine cap?

It's probably called something else. I don't know a lot about cars. it was a cap, and they were always trying to replace it.

Miss March

« Reply #2738 on: May 30, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
Yeah, I'm sorry, but I can't quite recall exactly what cap it was, but it was a cap that is used somewhere in the car engine, so I called it a vague "engine cap."
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

magicdomino

« Reply #2739 on: May 30, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm sorry, but I can't quite recall exactly what cap it was, but it was a cap that is used somewhere in the car engine, so I called it a vague "engine cap."

Dang.  I know the little plastic thing that they are talking about, but can't remember the name either.  I stopped going to Jiffy Lube because they couldn't seem to just change the oil.  Among other things, there was some little plastic doo-dad that constantly needed replacing.  Funny thing is, I've never had anyone else mention replacing it.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #2740 on: May 30, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »
That's what I was trying to figure out.  Other than the oil cap or radiator cap there's not many other caps.  And neither of those two mentioned are usually things that need upgrading, unless you simply lost it.  I'd complain to Jiffy Lube.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2741 on: May 30, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
I have a garage that I trust, and I work there now. (Apparently, when you spend enough money at a garage, they offer you a job!)   We have heard some serious horror stories about Jiffy Lube and other chains, and dealerships.  A lot of those unhappy customers end up at our garage. 

I had a tire place try to tell me that 'the last guy who changed your tire cross-threaded the nut, so the bolts have to be replaced.'   I changed the tire myself.  By hand.  I'm strong, but I'm not *that* strong.  They replaced the bolts, free of charge.

One of my friends had her oil changed at Jiffy Lube, and her car burned up.  Jiffy Lube refuses to take responsibility for their mistake.  She's still fighting with them, and she has no car.  And no money.

One of our garage's customers was *yelled* at by her oil change place, about her brakes being so bad that they were dangerous to drive, but when they found out she had no money, they changed their tune and said, 'come back when you have the $1500'.   She came to our garage.  Her brakes and rotors were fine.  The noise in her wheel was a pebble in the hubcap.  TRUE STORY.  I can't make this stuff up. That's how she, and her family, and everybody she talks to, is now one of our customers.

So we tell everyone in general to avoid dealerships and chains.  It's so hard to find a trustworthy garage.  I feel so fortunate that I found mine.  I may never move away.

magicdomino

« Reply #2742 on: May 30, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »
No, it isn't a cap.  It might be the fuel filter; that was the only thing that sounded right on Jiffy Lube's website.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2743 on: May 30, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
The other driver in my DH's strange no accident story is now being charged with filing a false report. We're hoping the charges stick.

Also, there is yellow paint on her black SUV in the dent. DH drives a blue pickup. He has no damage or rub streaks on his truck.

Margo

« Reply #2744 on: May 30, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
I had a simialar issue with KwikFit. I can't remember exactly what it was they were trying to convince me was wrong and needed replacing - they backtracked at great speed when I pointed out that the whateveritwas has been fitted, by them, less than a month previously. (at least the first time I actually needed it, I'd only gone to them because they had it in stock and my normal garage didn't)

Its a fair few years ago now, but I still treat them with great caution. I have had my MoT done there since, as they open on Sundays, but I always make sure to tell them I have an appointment booked with my own garage to do any work necessary should it fail, and so far, it's always passed! (MoT tests are mandatory, but cheap - unscrupulous garages can make money on doing the work needed to get the car to pass)

The garage I use for choice is not the cheapest around, but I trust them.