Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 711888 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2850 on: June 10, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
I received this email to my work address and the subject line is FedEx Delivery Team.

We have been waiting for you to contact us for your Confirmed Package containing an ATM Debit Cash Card Number 7876310003001420 Valued at $2.3.

Kindly check the attach file for more details and contact your Dispatch Officer in GHANA (Mr. Maha Monte) using his contact details below.

Contact Us.
Mr. Maha Monte
Dispatch Officer in Charge
Email: spammer@yahoo.com.hk
Telephone: +233-231-63X-XXX

The email it was supposedly sent from is different. My money is apparently in Ghana, and the email to reply to is in Hong Kong. All this for $2.3?

Carotte

« Reply #2851 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
I received this email to my work address and the subject line is FedEx Delivery Team.

We have been waiting for you to contact us for your Confirmed Package containing an ATM Debit Cash Card Number 7876310003001420 Valued at $2.3.

Kindly check the attach file for more details and contact your Dispatch Officer in GHANA (Mr. Maha Monte) using his contact details below.

Contact Us.
Mr. Maha Monte
Dispatch Officer in Charge
Email: spammer@yahoo.com.hk
Telephone: +233-231-63X-XXX

The email it was supposedly sent from is different. My money is apparently in Ghana, and the email to reply to is in Hong Kong. All this for $2.3?

I probably wouldn't go to any trouble to receive 2.3$ even if it was 100% legit!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2852 on: June 10, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
I was thinking, wouldn't the postage from Ghana be about the same amount?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2853 on: June 10, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
Why do they give you the debit card number? 

Like, what, you're going to go somewhere and check that out  ::)

I love the movieThe Sting   it just makes today's scammers look so incredibly ignorant.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2854 on: June 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
Oceans 11 is pretty great too.

There are one too many numbers in the debit card number, 17 instead of 16.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2855 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
Oceans 11 is pretty great too.

There are one too many numbers in the debit card number, 17 instead of 16.

how fitting and amusing !

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #2856 on: June 12, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
Don't think I've had this one before:

Dear Friend.

I am Mrs. Maria, the Head of file Department in Bank of Africa. I seek your assistance and I am assured of your capability to champion this business opportunity, to remit the sum of $10.5 million U S dollars into your account. If you are interested please let me know so that i can send you the full details of this transaction. I agree that 40% of this money will be for you, while 10% will be set aside for all expenses incurred during the business and 50% would be for me. If you are interested to execute this business with me, you should contact me in my private email and provide me the below requested information to avoid any delays, and I will furnish you with more elaborate information. My private email address is (mrs.maria110@gmail.com).

(1)Your Name
(2)Your age.........................
(3)Your occupation..................                                                                   
(4)Your photo ID…………………..
(5)Your marital status.............
(6)Your full residential address...............
(7)Your private phone and fax number

I await your prompt response.

Best regards,
Mrs. Maria
Tel:  +226 65 36 97 57
Email: mrs.maria110@gmail.com

It's the first one I've had where they've asked for a photo ID. And Mrs Maria's email says that she's actually Mrs Mrs Nicole. Not Mrs Nicole, but Mrs Mrs Nicole.

Don't think much of the percentage split, either. What's she doing for 50%, given that the expenses are coming out of my share?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2857 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
There is a mystery shopping scam out there that requires the shopper to pay via check to the company. Two local residents are out $2000 each because they fell for it.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2858 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
Don't think I've had this one before:

Dear Friend.

I am Mrs. Maria, the Head of file Department in Bank of Africa. I seek your assistance and I am assured of your capability to champion this business opportunity, to remit the sum of $10.5 million U S dollars into your account. If you are interested please let me know so that i can send you the full details of this transaction. I agree that 40% of this money will be for you, while 10% will be set aside for all expenses incurred during the business and 50% would be for me. If you are interested to execute this business with me, you should contact me in my private email and provide me the below requested information to avoid any delays, and I will furnish you with more elaborate information. My private email address is (mrs.maria110@gmail.com).

(1)Your Name
(2)Your age.........................
(3)Your occupation..................                                                                   
(4)Your photo ID…………………..
(5)Your marital status.............
(6)Your full residential address...............
(7)Your private phone and fax number

I await your prompt response.

Best regards,
Mrs. Maria
Tel:  +226 65 36 97 57
Email: mrs.maria110@gmail.com

It's the first one I've had where they've asked for a photo ID. And Mrs Maria's email says that she's actually Mrs Mrs Nicole. Not Mrs Nicole, but Mrs Mrs Nicole.

Don't think much of the percentage split, either. What's she doing for 50%, given that the expenses are coming out of my share?

I like that she has a "private email"    LOL

I get tons of these, I am always amused at their poor spelling, grammar and ridiculous amounts.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2859 on: June 12, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »
Although Mrs. Mrs. Maria's private email is probably shared by a number of guys sitting in an internet cafe in West Africa, the term "private email" is one I often see. "That's my work address. My private email is xxx@yyy."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2860 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
I have two email addresses also - it just never occurred to me to refer to one as my work and one as my private email address

and in the above case I'm with you, I'm sure there are several people accessing that email account

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2861 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
So today I received a call from a church in WV.

Or at least I received a call purporting to be from the pastor of a church in WV.  Except it was a recording and started out like this:

"Hello, this is Pastor XXX from XXXX church.  This call will take 1 minute and XXX seconds.  This call is totally free and we don't expect you to give us any money.  We want to ..."

This is where I hung up - I live on the opposite side of the country, and whenever they start out telling you that they don't want your money, they want your money.  And honestly, if I was going to give money to a church I'd give money to one of the 100 or so that are within 50 miles of where I live.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2862 on: June 12, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
How tragic.

DH just got an official email from the Border Patrol and they have a $10 million dollar gift card for him. I've been waiting for our day to come!

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #2863 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
I have something to add to the thread that I just saw on MSN news.... holy carp.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-man-charged-76-million-scam-targeting-bailout-money-n130021
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2864 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
We've been receiving calls from Rachel's co-workers from card member services. It is no surprise to me that "this is your final notice".

Um, hmm, sure it is. <insert eye roll here> We've been notified for the last time for the past 2 years or more.