News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 01:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2023366 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2850 on: June 12, 2014, 08:15:10 PM »
We've been receiving calls from Rachel's co-workers from card member services. It is no surprise to me that "this is your final notice".

Um, hmm, sure it is. <insert eye roll here> We've been notified for the last time for the past 2 years or more.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2851 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
It is no surprise to me that "this is your final notice".

All I can think of is "Oh yes, please let it be true!"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

squashedfrog

« Reply #2852 on: June 13, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
Righto, odd one this one.  Had a friend request on Facebook from a man I don't know.  Good looking pic, name Declan fitzsimons, claims to be 27 so 10 years younger than me, claims to be from Scotland but pic looks ....American by the furnishings..

Never heard of him, didn't accept the request, only one mutual friend (a girl of 17). The profile shows one photo and no info.  About to delete when a cousin of mine posts she is being face booked by non other than a Declan fitzsimons!  Apparently he is claiming they know each other , he loves her and had always loved her and wants to be with her.   She's 30, married, currently living in Canada.

He seems to be targeting women under 40, is indistriminate about photos (as mine is of my baby) and when he friends, he seems to hit up every woman on her friend list.  If indeed he is a he.

No obvious money begging, just declarations of love to married women!

Goosey

« Reply #2853 on: June 13, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »
I don't know if it's a scammer or whatnot, but I hate it when you get a couple months of a magazine that you neither ordered or wanted in the mail. Then, a couple weeks later, a bill comes for the magazine subscription.

If it was just a "Hey, we hope you liked our magazine! For more editions, here's how to order more!", I'd be good.

But it's always "Here is your bill for the magazine. Pay is due."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2854 on: June 13, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Righto, odd one this one.  Had a friend request on Facebook from a man I don't know.  Good looking pic, name Declan fitzsimons, claims to be 27 so 10 years younger than me, claims to be from Scotland but pic looks ....American by the furnishings..

Never heard of him, didn't accept the request, only one mutual friend (a girl of 17). The profile shows one photo and no info.  About to delete when a cousin of mine posts she is being face booked by non other than a Declan fitzsimons!  Apparently he is claiming they know each other , he loves her and had always loved her and wants to be with her.   She's 30, married, currently living in Canada.

He seems to be targeting women under 40, is indistriminate about photos (as mine is of my baby) and when he friends, he seems to hit up every woman on her friend list.  If indeed he is a he.

No obvious money begging, just declarations of love to married women!

Might want to mention this to the 17 year old's folks, sounds like a con to me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

« Reply #2855 on: June 13, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
I don't know if it's a scammer or whatnot, but I hate it when you get a couple months of a magazine that you neither ordered or wanted in the mail. Then, a couple weeks later, a bill comes for the magazine subscription.

If it was just a "Hey, we hope you liked our magazine! For more editions, here's how to order more!", I'd be good.

That has never shown up on my credit history when I ignore. Anyone ever have it show up?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2856 on: June 13, 2014, 02:13:26 PM »

That has never shown up on my credit history when I ignore. Anyone ever have it show up?

I don't think I've ever gotten one like that. I've gotten free trials I have requested, and when they ask me if I want to continue I decline and that's that. If I started getting magazines neither DH nor I had requested, I think I'd call pretty quickly to scuttle any notions of billing me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #2857 on: June 13, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »

They probably don't because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. They are going on the fact that most people will just pay without thinking.

Goosey

« Reply #2858 on: June 13, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »

They probably don't because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. They are going on the fact that most people will just pay without thinking.

Yep, it's not an ACTUAL bill. They're just trying to scare/decieve people into thinking it is.

Sirius

« Reply #2859 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
There was a scam some years ago with my Astronomy magazine.  I got a notice that "Astronomy has authorized us to collect money" or some such, and the charge was for way more than I'd usually pay, which was still plenty.  I called up Astronomy's customer service line to find out what was up, and turned out it was all a scam.  The next few issues of Astronomy contained warnings about this company. 

Something very similar is presently going on with Mr.Sirius' subscription to The Nation, so apparently the scam didn't go away, just changed magazines.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #2860 on: June 13, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

I had a guy who claimed he went to college with me friend me on FB.  I accepted the friendship and he IM - flirted up a storm.  All vague comments.  I was kind of suspicious, as I was kind of unique (geeky with quirky friends) and not a man-magnet in college.  I replied back that I just heard about a Prof passing (true).   The Prof was absolutely memorable -- even if you didn't study in his classes, you knew of him.  Asked a couple of leading questions.  Flamboyant Prof held soirees for students in his field with gourmet cheeses and caviar - just memorable stuff.  He got the answers to those questions wrong (field (searchable by obit even), soirees, outfits (elbow patched blazers and a pipe), everything).  I pulled up the online directory - no one is 10 years on either side of me had the same name.  Immediately unfriended.  Something was off.  I'm pretty sure I was going to be asked for money in a couple more chats.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Miss March

« Reply #2861 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
When I first joined facebook, one of the first friend requests that I got was from a woman with the same name as me. It was bizarre. I didn't know her. Did she think that everyone named "Miss March" should be in a little club or something?
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Lynn2000

« Reply #2862 on: June 13, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
Just got an email--at work--about my Bank of America account, saying it was in overdraft. I don't have a Bank of America account, so that raised my suspicions right there. Also when I hovered the cursor over the link, it seemed like it might be a redirect to a different site. Still, the email looked very authentic, everything spelled correctly, etc., so I forwarded it to the Bank of America fraud address. In case it's a real email, but sent to the wrong person.
~Lynn2000

MrTango

« Reply #2863 on: June 13, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »

Yep, it's not an ACTUAL bill. They're just trying to scare/decieve people into thinking it is.

Correct, and even if it was an actual bill, they'd have no legal recourse to try to collect on it (at least not in the US).  Under US law, any unsolicited promotional materials sent through the mail, no matter how valuable, are considered to be gifts and the addressee has the right to keep it with no obligation to pay for it and no obligation to do further business with the sender.

MrTango

« Reply #2864 on: June 13, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Just got an email--at work--about my Bank of America account, saying it was in overdraft. I don't have a Bank of America account, so that raised my suspicions right there. Also when I hovered the cursor over the link, it seemed like it might be a redirect to a different site. Still, the email looked very authentic, everything spelled correctly, etc., so I forwarded it to the Bank of America fraud address. In case it's a real email, but sent to the wrong person.

I get a lot of those about "my" bank account as well, but to my personal email address.  I happen to be an employee of my bank (I was a customer long before I came to work here), and fortunately the spam filters catch stuff like that so I don't have to waste my time deleting it.