News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 22, 2017, 10:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2085046 times)

amylouky

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2895 on: June 24, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
Holy cow, folks! Look what I got from "paypal"!

Congratulations you made it! For the first
time in history
the underground secret
millionaire society responsible of turning
over 384 average Joes into INSTANT millionaires
is now opening up his doors again!

For FREE. Yes, FREE. You can becoe a Millionaire
too in as little as 6 months from now, no catch!

All you need to do is grab one of the 20 FREE
memberships spots they are giving away here now:

Click Here

Thanks,
Jessica

I want to know how they're doing something both for the first time in history and again.

I guess if this is the second time they've done it, it would be the first time in history they've done it again?  :)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2896 on: June 24, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »
Just got this one:

Gillian & Adrian Bayford are giving you part of their winnings as charity Please respond to this message with your Name, Address and Phone number.

It came from an email address that is "Walker, Rachel - (rwalker2)  (rwalker2@email.arizona.edu)". So is this a scammer trying to make it look like it's a legit address, or someone so stupid as to send an email like this from an actual address. The @email.arizona.edu would be a CatMail address from the University of Arizona. I think I'll be contacting them through their support service  >:D

Take a look at the full headers for the message. Dollars-to-donuts, The Reply-To is different from the From.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

o_gal

« Reply #2897 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
Just got this one:

Gillian & Adrian Bayford are giving you part of their winnings as charity Please respond to this message with your Name, Address and Phone number.

It came from an email address that is "Walker, Rachel - (rwalker2)  (rwalker2@email.arizona.edu)". So is this a scammer trying to make it look like it's a legit address, or someone so stupid as to send an email like this from an actual address. The @email.arizona.edu would be a CatMail address from the University of Arizona. I think I'll be contacting them through their support service  >:D

Take a look at the full headers for the message. Dollars-to-donuts, The Reply-To is different from the From.

I would, but it's my Hotmail account and they won't let you see the full headers. You can see some, but not the full path. At the very least, reporting to them alerts them that someone is spoofing using their CatMail address scheme.

Or Rachel Walker is going to get a little visit from the IT folks. I wonder if she's an incoming freshman who got her CatMail account as part of her orientation, and she thinks she can pull stunts like this because school isn't in session yet. And she's about to get her whole school email and internet access cut off. If she really is trying to run a scam, she might find her admission to the university revoked.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2898 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »
Rachel is easy to find by her email address. She is not a student. I am willing to bet that her email was either spoofed or her account hacked.

It might be well to delete that email from the EHell post.

The real Gillian & Adrian Bayford won a huge UK lottery in 2012 and the email scam has been circulating for over a year.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #2899 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
Well I just lost out on 3 million dollars apparently.  ::)

I got a call this morning. The ID was listed as "Private" but I answered because my neighbor comes up that way and I thought it might be them.

A very heavily accented person introduced themselves. I didn't catch who they were with (I think they said "Mega Millions") and they said I had been selected as one of a lucky 20 people who randomly won 3 million dollars.

Me:  ??? Ya. Uh-huh. Sure. ::)

So he gives me his name and badge number. The number ended in 'VA', and I had to get clarification on weather it was a V or a B, so I said "Is that B as in boy or...?"

Him: "V as in 'virgin' *chukle*"
Me:  :o

Ew. What the heck? Ew!
So he's giving me this check number and verifying all this stuff and I'm answering very short and monotone. I'm sure he was wondering why I wasn't more excited to be getting 3 million dollars but I knew he was full of it and was just waiting to see where this was headed.

So he transfers me to his manager who gives me a banking code and even says they will be by tomorrow to present the check...then the shoe drops: "There is a account activation fee of $399 dollars. Are you familiar with Western Union?"

Yup.

"Can you send the fee today?"

Nope.  ::)

"Tomorrow?"

Nope.  ::)

*dial tone*

Awwww...guess I don't get my 3 million...but I'm also not out $399 that I don't have.

So I'm not too broken up over it. Deity help the people who actually fall for this!

PS: The first guy asked me if I wanted to accept the prize publicly on T.V. or privately. 1) I don't think that's really an option in a legit contest and 2) What would they have done if I had said yes to a public award? Well of course they wouldn't show up because they just wanted my $399 but still...  :P
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2900 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
Rachel is easy to find by her email address. She is not a student. I am willing to bet that her email was either spoofed or her account hacked.

It might be well to delete that email from the EHell post.

The real Gillian & Adrian Bayford won a huge UK lottery in 2012 and the email scam has been circulating for over a year.

Our university email addresses get spoofed or hacked frequently. We get internal messages that are spam.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

« Reply #2901 on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
Two that aren't really scammers, but annoying and behave a lot like them!

*Our school system sends robocalls using "unknown caller". I won't answer them.
*An autism charity keeps sending emails to me addressed to "Joshua". I have no Joshua at my home.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

o_gal

« Reply #2902 on: June 25, 2014, 07:01:35 AM »
We finally got rid of the latest round of collection calls for "Jeff Wonderley". He and his wife/partner/whatever Stephanie Wonderley had our phone number before we moved, back in June 2000. But he's still giving out what is now our number as his, especially when he wants to avoid bad debts. This 3rd round of calls from a "law firm" in D.C. started in April. There were rare days when we didn't have a message from the "law firm" asking us to call them back about an urgent matter. Of course, being a collection agency, they did not state that it was him, just a generic recorded message to call them back. We knew it was our buddy Jeff again.

A few weeks ago I happened to be home when they called. I felt sorry for the rep - it was obvious from the sounds in the background that he worked in what is known as a boiler room. Large room, probably dozens of low level wage slaves, all calling on behalf of the "law firm". When he asked to speak with Jeff, I told him that Mr. Wonderley had not had this number for over 14 years. The rep was flustered and did not know what to do. I told him that when they moved, they didn't even tell Stephanie's grandmother their new number, because she kept calling us (and the poor thing didn't understand how we didn't have their new number to give to her.) The rep then apologized and we haven't heard a thing from them since.

ladyknight1

« Reply #2903 on: June 25, 2014, 07:24:32 AM »
Two more emails to my work account.

One was from a Karl, with the subject line "Yo". There was a picture and link, but our system blocked them.
One was a "Correspondence from Michael Anthony", with a link in the body of the email.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Redwing

« Reply #2904 on: June 25, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »

One was from a Karl, with the subject line "Yo". There was a picture and link, but our system blocked them.
One was a "Correspondence from Michael Anthony", with a link in the body of the email.

I got one from Dan yesterday.  No subject.  Body of email said "hey".

ladyknight1

« Reply #2905 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Very eloquent scam artists here.  :o
-J.R.R Tolkien

Thipu1

« Reply #2906 on: June 25, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »

So, Michael Anthony surfaces. 

Michael B. Anthony was the fictional benefactor in the 1950s TV series 'The Millionaire'.  So, our new Michael Anthony has both a good memory and a sense of irony. 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #2907 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
I just received an e-mail telling me "Your Apple Has Been Temporarly Disabled For Security Reasons." I'm supposed to "Confirm My Infromations." No, not my Apple!! I'll get right on that!

squeakers

« Reply #2908 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
Latest FB viral photo may be a scam: little girl was mauled by pitbulls (owned by her grandfather) and was disfigured by scars on her face.  Grandmother claims KFC employee asked them to leave because the little girl's scars were upsetting other customers.  Aunt posts the KFC location on FB and asks people if they would be bothered by the lil girl.

Sympathy and sharing happens.. and donations ranging from free reconstructive surgery, attorney fees waived to outright cash to a gofundme account.  Which went from under $1,000 to over $130,000.

KFC donates $30,000 before their investigation had even started and said regardless of whether it is true or not the money is for the lil girl.

Investigation shows no evidence little girl and grandmother were at any KFC the day stated.  The location posted on FB was of a store that had been closed for a few years.  The 2 most obvious choices (closest to the hospital she goes to) had register tapes and videos reviewed.

Aunt has shut down the FB page she made for her niece and the gofundme account is under suspension pending investigation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/24/kfc-girl-hoax-pitbul_n_5525682.html
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2909 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
I heard that, so sad. The article said that the family claimed they weren't going public with the story for money, but why would you make up something like this otherwise?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture