Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 609960 times)

CakeBeret

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2970 on: July 02, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
I've had a few missed calls on my cell from an unknown number, but not frequently enough for it to bother me.

I got another one yesterday, and figured what the heck, I'd answer it. After a few seconds of background noise, a man came on the line and with a thick accent said "Hello this is [some random name], how are you today?" As I was home sick with a rather painful sinus infection, I paused for a second and said "Fine" in a flat, let's-get-this-over-with sort of tone. The caller seemed massively taken aback and after a moment said "O-kay" and hung up on me.

Somehow I don't think he'll last long as a telemarketer.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2971 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »
When the  telemarketer/scammer asks "How are you today?"  is it rude to answer him in copious, minute, and excruciating detail?  After all, he did ask...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2972 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
...   I was home sick with a rather painful sinus infection  ...

Maybe when he asked you how you were you should have told him.  In glorious detail. 

"Oh, snot is coming out my nose by the bucketfuls (insert big gurgly sniffling here) and some of it runs down the back of my throat and makes me gag (cough, cough, choking sound) and then I throw up and I missed the mark and there's puke all over my floor now.  I have diarrhea too. And on top of all that ... "   

*click*

>:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2973 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »
Last week, my DH called me after a strange incident on the road. He was in the right lane of a 6 lane divided road. In the lane next to him another driver jerked her car suddenly, then pulled over and signaled my DH to do so also. However, the cars had not made contact. DH drives a marked commercial vehicle. He drove a mile down the road, then pulled into a parking lot to look at his vehicle and make sure there was no damage. No damage, not even a scrape.

He had noticed when the woman pulled over that there was a large dent on the left of her vehicle. However, since he was in the right lane and had been in the right lane since turning onto that road there was no way he was involved in the damage.

Now, the other driver's boyfriend, who owns the car called DH's shop, claiming he hit their car and caused the damage. When they explained the situation, the BF became irate and stated he was going to call an attorney. DH drove his vehicle across the street from their shop to the police station and completed a statement.

An hour later the woman in the car shows up at the shop, demanding the company give her their insurance information. The police were called.

That's all we know so far.

Her insurance company didn't believe her either. Unfortunately, the state highway patrol has no interest in charging her for making a false report.

That's unfortunate, because I'm pretty sure they didn't just dream up this scheme as a one-off. This was probably a case of repeat scammers.

I can't speak for every company but when I worked for car dealers no matter how much damage they would just write a check if one of their people caused an accident.  That amount of people driving you cars and the amount of cars their insurance was astronomical , the only time they filed a claim was for massive hail storms.

In this case, the cars never touched. His pickup has no damage, no scuff marks, no scratches. Her vehicle looks like she hit a parking block, an oval or round one.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2974 on: July 03, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »
This one's short and sweet:

Your Email Id has successfully selected in ongoing 2014 draw and you have been awarded a sum of One Crore INR,in Punjab State Lotteries draw, Provide Name, Mobile Number and Country.

Sincerely,
Punjab State Lotteries

I had to look up what a crore was - apparently I've won 10 million rupees?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

momof2weenies

• (3 weenies now!)
« Reply #2975 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
Saturday at my PT job - two people attempting to return two pair of $24.99 dog goggles (which I have NEVER, in three years, seen anyone actually buy), along with two $42.99 cat pheromone diffusers (again, not a popular offer and never in pairs) without a receipt, stating that *of course* they were purchased at our location, no doubt about it!  The manager helpfully reviewed all past transactions during our stated return period - nope, we haven't sold any of either of those products.

They could have accepted failure, gone home and sold them on Craigslist; but no - they wandered around the shopping center parking lot, attempting to sell the items to various passerby, until somone (not from my store) called the cops!

::)

"Dachshunds are like potato chips. You can never have just one."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2976 on: July 03, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »
I had DH drop me off at our local grocery store, so I could get my shopping done at my pace and he took DS for a much needed haircut.

When I was done, I took my cart and sat on the bench near the entrance. One of the managers was looking out the long wall of windows at a few people walking to a car. Turns out, it is a ring of shoplifters who later return the items for full price, and they are currently trying to get sufficient evidence to press charges.

3 seemingly unrelated customers, all getting into the same car, and they opened the back to reveal bags upon bags of other items.

parrot_girl

« Reply #2977 on: July 05, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
...   I was home sick with a rather painful sinus infection  ...

Maybe when he asked you how you were you should have told him.  In glorious detail. 

"Oh, snot is coming out my nose by the bucketfuls (insert big gurgly sniffling here) and some of it runs down the back of my throat and makes me gag (cough, cough, choking sound) and then I throw up and I missed the mark and there's puke all over my floor now.  I have diarrhea too. And on top of all that ... "   

*click*

>:D
Hee hee, I did something similar once. I had to get two quiches done for an event that night, I was hugely pregnant, it was hot and thus my pastry was not cooperating, and I'd just dropped an egg on the floor, meaning that I'd have to go to the shops AGAIN.
And then I got a phone call from a telemarketer, who started off by asking how my afternoon was going.

I told him. In detail.

and he said he was very sorry to hear it and he hung up. My quiches were very well received that night too!

parrot_girl

« Reply #2978 on: July 05, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »
Another one! Why the Judiciary of England and Wales is trying to contact me, when I'm as far as I can get from them and still be on the same planet, is puzzling...

The Judiciary of England and Wales,
Royal Courts of Justice,
11th floor, Thomas More Building,
Strand, London WC2A 2LL

Dear Sir/Madam,

Compliments of the day.

We hope this email would find you in the best of health and spirits.

You are reading an e-mail from JUDICIARY OF ENGLAND AND WALES, UNITED KINGDOM. On a daily basis, the Judicial Office coordinates and transmits requests for investigative and humanitarian assistance. The preponderance of economic and financial crimes like Advance Fee Fraud, Money Laundering and Terrorist activities all over the world, etc has had severe negative consequences all over the world, including decreased Foreign Direct Investments and tainting of world's national image.

The menace of these crimes and the recognition of the magnitude and gravity of the situation led to the signing of Memorandum of Understanding on Friday 21st March, 2014 between British Government, United States Government, United Nations, Australian Government, Canada Government and Nigeria Government at the United Nations Headquarters located at New York City, USA. It was agreed that to retain the good image of Nigeria and the rest of Africa countries, all the scam victims who lost his/her hard earn money to these faceless thieves will be compensated with just US$250,000.00 (Two hundred and fifty thousands United Stated Dollars only) to avoid sanctioning Nigeria and some Africa Countries.

To that effect, we are sending you this e-mail because your contact details were given to us as one of the victims. You will receive your compensation payment through ATM SMART CARD which is the simplest way to transfer huge amount of money to avoid transfer charges or any further delay.

I WANT YOU TO READ BELOW CAREFULLY, THE NOTICE BELOW STAND AS CAUTION BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

MR. CHARLES WILLIAM ROME presented an Authorization Letter for change of your data that you are dead one month ago. After the investigations however,it was revealed that there are some dubius Banks and Government Officials in Nigeria and the rest of Africa countries who are collaborating with some Foreigners to make these changes illegally without the knowledge of the Bona-fide Benefactors and one traced to your own change is this MR. CHARLES WILLIAM ROME of United States of America, who said you are dead, He have also forwarded his Name and Address below as the new Address that will receive this money.

Name: MR. CHARLES WILLIAM ROME
Address: 139 Chelmsford DR Aurora, Ohio 44202, United States

But we wanted to confirm if actually this is true and hence decided to write to your email address which from now and there is no response from you, We will then know that you are dead indeed and the Compensation payment of US$250,000.00 will be transfer to him.

IF PROVED OTHERWISE BY YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT DEAD, PLEASE, FILL THE Claimant Form below and SEND IT TO HON. MINISTER OF FINANCE, NIGERIA (ATTENTION DR. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA) IMMEDIATELY. SHE IS THE PROCESSING AND PAYING OFFICER.

CLAIMANT FORM:-
1.YOUR FULL NAME
2. GENDER:
3. HOUSE OR OFFICE ADDRESS (P. O. Box not accepted)
4. YOUR PHONE NUMBER(S)
5. COUNTRY:

NAME: ATTN: DR. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA
E-mail: federalministryoffinance_dept@yahoo.fr

Immediately you send the above required information to DR. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA, she will proceed with the Processing/Releasing of your ATM SMART CARD to you within 2-3 working days based on our agreement.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT PAY ANY MONEY TO DR. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA FOR RECEIVE YOUR ATM SMART CARD. We have signed a contract with CHRONOPOST INTERNATIONAL COURIER for the delivery of all the ATM SMART CARD which should expired December 31st, 2014.

IMPORTANT: UNDER PENALTY OF LAW, THE INFORMATION YOU SUBMITTED TO DR. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA CORRECTLY IDENTIFY YOU AS THE RECIPIENT OF THIS PAYMENT; NO OTHER LIVING PERSON OR ENTITY IS ENTITLED TO ANY PART OF THIS PAYMENT; IT IS A VIOLATION OF LAW FOR ANY PERSON TO INTENTIONALLY OR KNOWINGLY FILLING FOR DOUBLE CLAIMING OR AID ANOTHER PERSON IN CLAIMING THE SAME FUND, BY MEANS OF FRAUD OR DECEIT. BE WARNED

We await your urgent reply.

Yours faithfully,

The Lord John Thomas of Cwmgiedd,
Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2979 on: July 05, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »
I love that one. You are supposed to be dead,but if you can prove otherwise...

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2980 on: July 05, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »

US$250,000.00 (Two hundred and fifty thousands United Stated Dollars only)

ATM SMART CARD which should expired December 31st, 2014.

At the rate of $300 per day that most of the atms around here limit you to, this would take a little over 833 days to withdraw.  The card expires before then...

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2981 on: July 05, 2014, 01:06:36 AM »
tainting of world's national image.
Because you just know that the people on Mars and Venus are giggling and pointing their fingers at the dumb Earth people.  (Or at least whatever it is they have that serves them for fingers...)
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2982 on: July 05, 2014, 01:22:06 AM »
I just got one from the US ambassador to Nigeria that he's bringing my money with him when he comes to the US next week!

Only he keeps referring to "your country" instead "our country" or "home."

And even though he's putting it in a consignment box and bringing it with him through customs in a consignment box, and personally delivering it (still safe in its little consignment box)  I have to pay some sort of registration fee.   

Why is it that I think this is a stinky pile of ?

into books first.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #2983 on: July 05, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
I got an email today from the USPS (U.S. postal service) that a package is being held for me and I can use this link and this registration number to confirm it. It contains $1,260,000.00 and all I have to do to release it is send $199 to this person.

I didn't know the USPS opened packages in order to tell the recipient what it contained. I thought they were only openned by customs to check for illegal material.

My husband got a different email today with a different Nigerian scam. :)
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

purplerainbow

« Reply #2984 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
Apparently - according to an email I received, at any rate - my job hunt is going better than I thought: I've been selected for a managerial position in an office in Ghana.  ;D

Except I don't have any experience in managing an office - I'm the junior at my workplace. And I didn't apply for any jobs outside of the UK. And I'm pale with freckles and burn easily, so avoid places with hot climates. (I don't even join my family on their summer holiday to France.)