News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2199808 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2970 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
FBI Headquarters
Address: 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001 USA

Dear Email Beneficiary.

Payment of $17.5M has been DONATED to you From United Nation Compensation Commission Africa Headquarter in New YORK USA, Reply to this email: {redacted}  for details

Regard
FBI Director
Mr. James B. Comey

You'd think the Director of the FBI would have better spelling skills (Ai lernt two spel gud en Eff Bee Eye skool).
The e-mail address I'm supposed to reply to is an Outlook address, yet the e-mail address that sent the message was from Brazil.  Either Director Comey was nice enough to take time out of his Brazilian vacation to e-mail me or nobody told him that the FBI only has jurisdiction on US Soil.
I don't know why the United Nations needs the FBI to send out their e-mails, but whatever. $17.5 million dollars!!! Frappuccinos for everyone!!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2971 on: July 07, 2014, 08:22:21 AM »
it was DONATED ...   wow what a kind country Africa is

gramma dishes

« Reply #2972 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
Love that it's addressed to Email Beneficiary.  I wonder if you have to prove that that's your real name in order to collect your 17.5 million?

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2973 on: July 07, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
We got the Microsoft Windows scam 3 times on the 4th. I don't know what Mrs.k2002 said to the first one, but I told the 2nd one "you're a scam. Go away." The third one, I asked "how does it feel knowing that you're scamming people?" I got no answer.

Next time, I'm going to ask him if his mother would be proud of what he does.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2974 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
A senior security manager for an anti-malware firm played along--using a system he could control so he didn't care what happened to it. 

Scammers pick the wrong guy

There are screenshots, so you can see how the scam goes. He also recorded it for YouTube. At the very end, figuring out he's being played, the scammers deletes everything from the security guy's computer and all him a non-eHell-approved name. When he asked the "supervisor" what just happened, the supervisor said if the technician says something, it must be right. The technician is always correct”.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

magicdomino

« Reply #2975 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »
A senior security manager for an anti-malware firm played along--using a system he could control so he didn't care what happened to it. 

Scammers pick the wrong guy

There are screenshots, so you can see how the scam goes. He also recorded it for YouTube. At the very end, figuring out he's being played, the scammers deletes everything from the security guy's computer and all him a non-eHell-approved name. When he asked the "supervisor" what just happened, the supervisor said if the technician says something, it must be right. The technician is always correct”.

That was great.   :D

Olena

« Reply #2976 on: July 07, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

I had one in my email today, it's too bad the photos accompanying it don't show, but there were three: one of Neil Trotter and presumably his SO accepting his check, a close-up of Neil Trotter, and the "Euro Millions" Logo. Apparently he was interviewed! I didn't click the link.

***You Are Among My 5 Lucky Winner***‏

To: Recipients:

I am Mr Neil Trotter, winner of £107.9m in the recent Euromillions lottery draws; see my interview below;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-26627075#story_continues_1

Your email is one of the Five (5)emails selected by Google in alliance World Bank Group to receive a £2,500,000.00 GBP fund in my ongoing "World Bank" approved donation project aimed at financially funding Five (5)trusted individuals like you, to assist charities close to your hearts. To enhance a speedy release of funds, forward me your

Full Name__________
Age__________
Country______
Phone Number_________

to (neiltrotterDn2@rogers.com)

See news below for more insight;
http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/video/2013/10/02/president-jim-kim-speech-in-george-washington-university

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2977 on: July 07, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
We got the Microsoft Windows scam 3 times on the 4th. I don't know what Mrs.k2002 said to the first one, but I told the 2nd one "you're a scam. Go away." The third one, I asked "how does it feel knowing that you're scamming people?" I got no answer.

Next time, I'm going to ask him if his mother would be proud of what he does.

I should add: One of my other stock responses to this is: "Which computer? Can you give me the IP or MAC address?" They generally hang up right there.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #2978 on: July 07, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Ooh this is a new one. Should I step up and be her guardian?

Good day,my name is Mary Qattara 18years old,the only daughter to my late parent Mr/Mrs John Qattara. I am contacting you because i need you to stand as my guardian in the management of a sum $8.5 million u.s dollars that my late father left for me before he died. Please I am ever ready to offer you 30% for your help,10% will be donated to the orphans like me to help the poor,then you will help me invest the balance for me in your country. Please take me like your daughter or your sister. Thanks and I will give you more details as soon as I hear from you.
Sincerely Yours,
Miss Mary Qattara.

An 18yo needs a guardian? ???

Awwww... you mean I don't get a new daughter or a sister AND $8.5M?  :'(
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #2979 on: July 07, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
Dear Phone Scammer,

I am much more likely to pick up your call if my caller ID doesn't show *my own name and phone number* on it.  Just a tip.

No love,
Me.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2980 on: July 07, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »
"The call is coming from inside the house!!"  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Sirius

« Reply #2981 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
I answered a phone call that was a telemarketer when I had a bad case of the flu.  I told them how miserable I was, how I had a fever and a bad headache, etc.  They at least told me they hoped I would feel better soon, and hung up.  I don't think they ever called back, either.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #2982 on: July 07, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
"The call is coming from inside the house!!"  ;D

;D  I said that out loud to my empty living room when it happened. 
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

Lynn2000

« Reply #2983 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
My university has been warning of phishing scams going around that look like they're from the university. I got one today. It told me I was getting a very special message from "HEAD of department" and I should just click here and login to see it. It was signed "HEAD of department."

I'm not leaving out anything. It literally said "HEAD of department," not the person's name or what department they were in. ::)
~Lynn2000

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #2984 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18:55 AM »
My university has been warning of phishing scams going around that look like they're from the university. I got one today. It told me I was getting a very special message from "HEAD of department" and I should just click here and login to see it. It was signed "HEAD of department."

I'm not leaving out anything. It literally said "HEAD of department," not the person's name or what department they were in. ::)

This gave me my chuckle for the day. I'm thinking of either the Big Giant Head from "Third Rock from the Sun", or else something like the Wizard of Oz, with lots of green smoke - "Who dares disturb the great and powerful Department HEAD?" ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark