Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 627706 times)

o_gal

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3000 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
My university has been warning of phishing scams going around that look like they're from the university. I got one today. It told me I was getting a very special message from "HEAD of department" and I should just click here and login to see it. It was signed "HEAD of department."

I'm not leaving out anything. It literally said "HEAD of department," not the person's name or what department they were in. ::)

This gave me my chuckle for the day. I'm thinking of either the Big Giant Head from "Third Rock from the Sun", or else something like the Wizard of Oz, with lots of green smoke - "Who dares disturb the great and powerful Department HEAD?" ;D

No, it must be The Face of Boe and it has a final message for you :-) (if you are a Dr. Who fan, that is)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3001 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
I'm having a Kids in the Hall moment. "I'm pinching your head".

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3002 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
I know I'm not supposed to engage the crazy, I just can't resist sometimes, shame on me!

Attention Beneficiary: .

Good day to you and I hope all is well, I wish to inform you that after today meeting with the Central Bank Governor, order was to cancelled all unclaimed transfer because of the inability to comply but I have tried to move the funds to a new Paying BANK OF AFRICA and I thank God that the Bank of Africa has agreed as I move your file to them and I made suggestion to use Online Banking Transfer to transfer your funds through their online banking transfer.

The bank Manager Bank of Africa also told me that with their online banking you can transfer your money yourself from your home or office at your convenient time in your computer once you register and open online account with their Bank of Africa who is the paying bank.

So I will advise you to contact them with their contact information’s because I have already move your funds with them and they will be giving you their form to fill in their online web site and after your fill form, they will give you access code to your account online and you will now have the code to transfer your funds by yourself whenever you wish, so feel free to contact them.

Bank of Africa Full Contact Information’s.

Contact Person: Alhaji. Dr. Suleman Danbaba
Address: 55 BP 991 Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Office Land Line: 00229-98 292 999
Mobile Line: 00229
Office Fax: 229 21159 566
Customer Cares: customercares.boa_bk@outlook.com
BOA email: boa-benin_republic@outlook.com
BOA Web Sites: http://bankofafrcabenin.bg.tf/

As you can contact the Bank of Africa, tell them you want to register online with their bank to enable you have access to your funds in their bank for easy transfer from your country and they should send you their web site to enable you register online.

I am looking forward to hear that you have contacted the BO Bank.

Regards.
Bank Mangements

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:30:52 -0700
> From: halinco@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: urgent reply needed
> To: moneygram_moneytransfer@outlook.fr
>
> DEAR LETTER WRITER TO AN UNIDENTIFIED SUBJECT:
>
> PLEASE TELL ME; WHAT IS THE NAME ON THE PACKAGE OR FUND? WITHOUT THAT INFORMATION I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE IN A MAIL THAT IS NOT EVEN ADDRESSED DIRECTLY TO ME. I HAVE TO KNOW THIS FROM YOU BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY INTERNET FAKERS AND WEIRD CRACKPOTS SENDING BOGUS MESSAGES WITH AMBIGUOUS WORDING. THANK YOU.
>

To: moneygram_moneytransfer@outlook.fr
Subject: Re: money gram trnasfer
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:27:36 -0400

Then take the $200 out of my millions

Ha, ha

-----Original Message-----
To:(redacted)
Sent: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 9:19 am
Subject: RE: money gram trnasfer

pls this is not jokeing matter ok,

this is your really money,and if you need to receive this money then you most do what we told you to do, thanks

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:15:22 -0400

Jesus Saves !!!

Jesus Saves lost souls like yours !

To: (redacted)>
Sent: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 9:11 am
Subject: RE: money gram trnasfer

we We are in receipt of your email regarding your Fund,which list from the office of MR PRESIDENT

to carry out the release of your fund valued $9.8 Million United States Dollars via Money Gram Transfer Services immediately

you complete the necessary obligation there in .

In accordance to the file which contains your email ID as the Beneficiary to the fund.We wish to inform you that We Bank of Africa Benin Republic is now ready to transfer your Fund to you via any of your chosen option.

You are to approve the preferable mode you wish to received your Fund from our Bank either Bank to Bank transfer or via a Swift ATM CARD which your Fund will be uploaded and send to you through any Trusted Courier Company here in Benin Republic.

and for your last email,that i Just take the $200 out of the funds you want to send.

this is to inform you that your money is all ready pay into a bank this morning waiting for you to comply with the necessary obligation,so that the transfer will start immediately,so the money is now pay into account,there is know how we can get the fee out of it again untill the money transfer to you,,,,,

hope you will understand me better,,,,

Thanks For Your Co-operation. We Are Here To Serve You Better.

A promise of Quality Service...

Yours In Service
MR.ERIC GODWIN CHARLES
Executive Director/Chief Financial Officer

Thanks For Your Co-operation. We Are Here To Serve You Better.

A promise of Quality Service...

Yours In Service
MR.ERIC GODWIN CHARLES
Executive Director/Chief Financial Officer

cc: Foreign Remittance Office.(BOA) Bank.

CONFIDENTIALITY
Note: The information contained in this message is confidential. This message is intended to be read only by the person named above. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited. This mail was sent on behalf of Bank Of Africa Management Cotonou-Benin Republic approved by Federal Ministry of Finance.

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:04:50 -0400

Jesus Saves !!!

To: (redacted)
Sent: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 9:01 am
Subject: money gram trnasfer

FASTEST AND EASIEST WAY OF SENDING AND RECEIVE MONEY WORLD WIDE.
                     NO. 11 AKPKA ROAD 1 FLOOR. BPH141 KINGSTON AVENUE
                                          COTONU BENIN REPUBLIQUE .

e-MAIL:(  moneygram_moneytransfer@Outlook.fr  )
 REF NO:::( MU69HNZ )

ATTN: DEAR COSTOMER

Yes, We have received a payment scheduled list from the office of MR PRESIDENT to carry out the release of your fund valued $9.8 Million United States Dollars via Money Gram Transfer Services immediately you complete the necessary obligation there in .

Being that the re-viewing of your Pin Code ( # KDU/5020182000 ) which costs you total sum of $200.00 is the only things with holding you to cash up the two MTCN which already sent on your name .

So I,therefore advise you do to send the re-viewing fee $200.00 as quickly as possible today, to enable you cash up your two MTCN immediately,and continue receiving it until your funds have pay to you completely .

NB, bear in mind that the only things holding you to cash it up is the re-viewing the Pin code, and without this Pin Code ( # KDU/5020182000 ) you cannot pick up the transfer .
So I,deem it necessary that you should follow up and send the required fee today because you are entitle to cash up the two MTCN today,and continue receiving it every day until all your funds paid to you completely .

See attach to this email ,my personally identity for you to know who you are dealing with .

Based on this instructions, I seriously urged you to forward to us any e-mail or fax you received from any Office,Bank or Courier Company for proper investigations,because after the meeting held last week by the boards of directors,with the PRESIDENT,,,,,,,,,,, Federal Government of Benin Republic have signed and approved your total inheritance payment which I have appointed to handle the transfer until the total funds value  $9.8 Million United States Dollars is pay to you complete .

THEREFORE SEND THE RE-VIEWING FEE $200.00 TO THE NAME BELOW ,VIA WESTERN UNION SERVICES:TO ENABLE ME ACTIVATE YOUR PIN CODE ( # KDU/5020182000 ) WITHIN (30 MINS ) AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU CAN WILL CASH UP YOUR TWO MTCN ($5,000.00 ) IMMEDIATELY,AT ANY MONEY GRAM OFFICE THERE IN YOUR COUNTRY .

COUNTING ON YOUR MUTUAL CO-OPERATION .

YOUR,S IN SERVICES .

MR.ERIC GODWIN CHARLES
DIRECTOR OF MONEY GRAM VITAL FINANCE HEAD OFFICE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:08:30 PM by Redneck Gravy »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3003 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
My university has been warning of phishing scams going around that look like they're from the university. I got one today. It told me I was getting a very special message from "HEAD of department" and I should just click here and login to see it. It was signed "HEAD of department."

I'm not leaving out anything. It literally said "HEAD of department," not the person's name or what department they were in. ::)

This gave me my chuckle for the day. I'm thinking of either the Big Giant Head from "Third Rock from the Sun", or else something like the Wizard of Oz, with lots of green smoke - "Who dares disturb the great and powerful Department HEAD?" ;D

Sure it's not a Moai? :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3004 on: July 12, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
Just got this one from a Russian IP.  The subject line says it all:

Recently manufactured hot goods at discount prices

One wonders if he knows the slang meaning of 'hot' as applied to merchandise.  >:D Or if that was what he intended all along. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3005 on: July 14, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
My sister works with someone who got the fake IRS email, sent to her work email address.  My sister pointed out that since CW had never used her work email address in any correspondance with the IRS, the odds of it being real were remote at best.

The CW was so frightened she was still about to respond until someone pulled up the IRS web page and showed her that the IRS does not send emails to collect.  They send letters.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Bobbie

« Reply #3006 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
There is company that is offering to send you the official title to your house after you close.  They want $82 for it and its "official".  The real estate agent that is warning people that it is a scam says the title company will give you many copies for free.  It is national scam and just made it to Idaho.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3007 on: July 14, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
We rarely get these scams so this one was a real novelty for us.  It came in one of those envelopes that look very official with the short ends that the recipient has to tear off and the mottled privacy panel inside.  Here's what was inside.

"FLY WITH ANY US AIRLINE

July 11th, 2014

(accurate name and address)

NOTE: you must respond no later than August 1st, 2014.

Dear (first name),

I am pleased to inform you that you have qualified for an award of (2) round-trip airline tickets.  These tickets are for travel anywhere within the continental United States departing from any major international airport .  In addition, you will receive two (2) nights at any one of over 1000 Marriott Hotel locations.  The retail value of this award is up to $1,398.00
Because previous attempts to reach you have been unsuccessful, this correspondence will serve as your final notification.

PLEASE CALL ME AT 1-855-723-2978

Regards,

Lisa Jackson
Guest Services Manager"

Please note.  Apart from Marriott, nowhere on this mailing was the name or logo of any company whatsoever.  There is a disclaimer on the reverse stating that 'this promotion is not sponsored by or affiliated with Marriot'.  Curious.  The disclaimer also stated that 'taxes, restoration fees and/or processing fees are the responsibility of the recipient'.  That's where they get you.

I included the phone number in this post because I searched it.  My, the search provided a
considerable amount of fun.   

Has anybody else here gotten this one?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3008 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
Got the Windows Technical Support call again tonight.  At least it was a male voice with a male name this time, although I'm quite sure that his name was not 'Michael'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3009 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »
There is company that is offering to send you the official title to your house after you close.  They want $82 for it and its "official".  The real estate agent that is warning people that it is a scam says the title company will give you many copies for free.  It is national scam and just made it to Idaho.

I got that "offer" several times right after I bought my house.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3010 on: July 14, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
We keep getting "offers" to refinance our VA mortgage since Mr. Sirius is a veteran.  One said, "We can refinance your VA mortgage to 9.5%!  We're paying way less than that, so that one went in the shred box.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3011 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
I just found out that I am a Guaranteed Winner! of a Sony TV or "other brand name gift."  OOH! Brand names. Drano. Kleenex. RidEx Rat Poison. Scotch Tape. Tylenol. Marlboro. I can hardly wait.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3012 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
We keep getting "offers" to refinance our VA mortgage since Mr. Sirius is a veteran.  One said, "We can refinance your VA mortgage to 9.5%!  We're paying way less than that, so that one went in the shred box.
We're still getting them, 3 years after the house was completely paid off.   Several of them refer to "your Mortgage with X Bank" -- we refinanced that loan early on, and haven't had a mortgage with X Bank since 1995!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3013 on: July 15, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

We keep getting offers like that, too, offering much. Better rates, like 3.9%!

Amara

« Reply #3014 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Similar to the home title scam is the one that targets you if you have trademarked (and later registered) your business name. I did that with a legit lawyer but it didn't stop the scammers from sending me emails and letters telling me to send them money for the name.  ::)