News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 09:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2145684 times)

Coralreef

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3000 on: July 15, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
I got an email offering me $600 a week to put some ad on my car. 

Checked the name of the guy, it's a scam.  Too bad, that would have been easy money, which is probably why he's successful with it.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3001 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
Dear Sir
Director
We are looking for serious buyer for our gold nugget original from DR.Congo
and Tanzania
serious buyer should come down for inspection and shipment .

COMMODITY:
Gold, Au
FORM : Nuggets / Dust / Dore Bars
PURITY: minimum 94.6 %( 22 carats)
QUANTITY: (50x1) minimum kilograms (1O0 kg for 12 months)
DURATION: 12 months with rolls & extensions
PRICE: $ 31, 500 USD per kg.
DELIVERLY: F.O.B
PAYMENT: Each shipment payable latest 48 hours after assay.
PACKAGING: Boxes suitable for air freight

THANKS
Muwada Serugo.
Societe Minere de Bunia_SOMIBU

[contact info removed]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3002 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »
Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly,
please service your debt in the shortest possible time.

The invoice can be downloaded here.

Last I checked the bus I take to work doesn't have a route on toll roads.  >:D

ScubaGirl

« Reply #3003 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
Dear customer,

A co-worker recently got this.  She had been on some toll roads but thought she paid at every one.  She forwarded the email to me (I'm the IT person) to see if she should open the attachment.  Besides quickly finding out it was a scam via Google, I pointed out to her that they wouldn't have her work address and the car they were driving was rented.  Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me. 

staceym

« Reply #3004 on: July 16, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
Dear customer,

A co-worker recently got this.  She had been on some toll roads but thought she paid at every one.  She forwarded the email to me (I'm the IT person) to see if she should open the attachment.  Besides quickly finding out it was a scam via Google, I pointed out to her that they wouldn't have her work address and the car they were driving was rented.  Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

someone on another board I belong to got this too.  She felt embarrassed after and said she should have just googled it herself.  But, she legitimately was questioning it because she and her husband about a month before were driving through another state on an unfamiliar route that took them through an unmanned EZ Toll Booth and she had been waiting for something to let her know how much and where to pay.  We all googled and told her it was a scam; and someone who went to the same benefit she went too told her it took her about a month to get the bill from them.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3005 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Besides which, if you actually do something like that, you get a letter, not an email, and it's covered with letterhead that makes it clear who it's coming from, etc.  My husband once drove from D.C. to Boston with his EasyPass transponder not working, and he doesn't pay attention to those green lights telling you that yes, it read your transponder.  So he got a set of letters afterwards saying that he needed to pay.  They were all clearly marked things like "New York Highway Administration" or whatever, and paying through their website was an option, also sending a check by mail.  When it's legit, it's really obvious.  (Turns out that his theory that those speed limits for which you can go through the EasyPass booth aren't really required is false.   ::) )
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Twik

« Reply #3006 on: July 16, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

Hey, she didn't open an infected attachment, or send money to a scammer without thinking. I bet some IT people are going, "I just wish *my* users had that much sense."  ;)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #3007 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

Hey, she didn't open an infected attachment, or send money to a scammer without thinking. I bet some IT people are going, "I just wish *my* users had that much sense."  ;)
Hands up here. I actually had someone fall for the Nigerian scam. Fortunately she didn't lose money because she wasn't good with online banking, asked me to set up the transfer and told me why, which is when I put the breaks on it. Even now after all the links I showed her, she still seems to think I scammed her out of a fortune.  ::)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3008 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
I used to work at a library, and we had this really nice, chatty guy who was I guess the janitor?  He was constantly eager to get into some scheme or another to get rich quick (he talked about wanting a Cadillac, I think?).  I always felt bad when he'd talk to me about the latest "opportunity" that I knew was just a scam but he thought would make his fortune.  It's really sad when you know a good guy who just falls for everything like that and never seems to get anywhere.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

ScubaGirl

« Reply #3009 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I tell everyone to send stuff to me if they have any questions at all about the validity.  I just roll my eyes silently at times.  If I get a lot of similar ones then I'll send out an email to all with the details so they know what to do if they see the same thing.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3010 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
Oh, I got a doozy this morning.

Subject: 2014 is probably not going to be your year..
Body: (excessive spaces removed)
So,

In a financial marketplace that too heavily relies on leverage, I prefer to make sure I have cash in abundance so investments are stress free and don't require micro management.

What are Binary Signals?

Binary signals are unique binary options used by traders to analyze and pick wining trades. Binary signals is mainly created to assist traders gain advantage on the trading platform. Basically, they are alerts which are sent to traders to notify them about the market changes. In addition, it gives out suggestions which can benefit traders. Currently, binary signals options are rapidly growing since most of the traders have seen its potential profits.

Binary option innovation has led to options that offer 50% to 500% fixed payouts. This allows traders to potentially make more on a trade than they lose - a better reward: risk ratio - though if an option is offering a 500% payout, it is likely structured in such a way that the probability of winning that payout is quite low.

Some foreign brokers allow traders to exit trades before the binary option expires, but most do not. Exiting a trade before expiry typically results in a lower payout (specified by broker) or small loss, but the trader won't lose his or her entire investment.
Trading is a tough game if you can’t dedicate 100% of your time to it. Every day, hundreds of thousands of traders around the world are trying to get an edge in the markets, some spending 16 hours a day reading charts and making plays based on hours of research. While making trades based on your own analysis is a very nice and romantic idea, the fact of the matter is that the deck is stacked against you.

Auto Binary Signals trades on ALL major currency pairs & indexes… and a few of the BEST stock market symbols. It trades both turbo and longer term options.

A signal provider monitors the market as he or she makes use of technical analysis. The computer software is used for analyzing the future movements of the assets. When the future behavior of the asset is determined, the signal provider sends the signal to the traders who subscribe in order to receive the signals.

Lots of links at the end.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Sirius

« Reply #3011 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
We keep getting "offers" to refinance our VA mortgage since Mr. Sirius is a veteran.  One said, "We can refinance your VA mortgage to 9.5%!  We're paying way less than that, so that one went in the shred box.

We keep getting offers like that, too, offering much. Better rates, like 3.9%!

We have an awesome rate, way less than that.  We'd have to be idiots to refinance.  One actually asked me what our rate was.  I told her it was way less than what she was quoting. She said, "Oh.  Well, have a nice day," and hung up. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:32:53 PM by Sirius »

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3012 on: July 16, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

I forward some scams I get to our IT people - So they can alert other staff not to respond.  Especially the ones that are threatening and seem to come from official type people.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #3013 on: July 17, 2014, 09:24:54 AM »
I got this today at work:

Dear Customer:

Some one tried to access your PayPal account from unknown destination, please open the PayPal security ApK and secure your PayPal account

Case ID Number: **-***-****-**
 Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.
 We apologize for any inconvenience.

User's who ignore this security update, their PayPal account will be temporary suspend.

In Service,
 Review Department.

So I promptly sent it off to our spam and abuse IT people. I just heard back- several people have also reported it.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3014 on: July 17, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »
I read in the paper that Microsoft is laying off a bunch of people.  Am I bad for hoping that those layoffs would start in the so called Microsoft Security Department?

(I know, I know, the scammers have nothing to do with Microsoft but I can hope, can't I?)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario