A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (602/638) > >>

pierrotlunaire0:
My sister works with someone who got the fake IRS email, sent to her work email address.  My sister pointed out that since CW had never used her work email address in any correspondance with the IRS, the odds of it being real were remote at best.

The CW was so frightened she was still about to respond until someone pulled up the IRS web page and showed her that the IRS does not send emails to collect.  They send letters.

Bobbie:
There is company that is offering to send you the official title to your house after you close.  They want $82 for it and its "official".  The real estate agent that is warning people that it is a scam says the title company will give you many copies for free.  It is national scam and just made it to Idaho.

Thipu1:
We rarely get these scams so this one was a real novelty for us.  It came in one of those envelopes that look very official with the short ends that the recipient has to tear off and the mottled privacy panel inside.  Here's what was inside.

"FLY WITH ANY US AIRLINE

July 11th, 2014

(accurate name and address)

NOTE: you must respond no later than August 1st, 2014.

Dear (first name),

I am pleased to inform you that you have qualified for an award of (2) round-trip airline tickets.  These tickets are for travel anywhere within the continental United States departing from any major international airport .  In addition, you will receive two (2) nights at any one of over 1000 Marriott Hotel locations.  The retail value of this award is up to $1,398.00
Because previous attempts to reach you have been unsuccessful, this correspondence will serve as your final notification.

PLEASE CALL ME AT 1-855-723-2978

Regards,

Lisa Jackson
Guest Services Manager"

Please note.  Apart from Marriott, nowhere on this mailing was the name or logo of any company whatsoever.  There is a disclaimer on the reverse stating that 'this promotion is not sponsored by or affiliated with Marriot'.  Curious.  The disclaimer also stated that 'taxes, restoration fees and/or processing fees are the responsibility of the recipient'.  That's where they get you.

I included the phone number in this post because I searched it.  My, the search provided a
considerable amount of fun.   

Has anybody else here gotten this one?

Outdoor Girl:
Got the Windows Technical Support call again tonight.  At least it was a male voice with a male name this time, although I'm quite sure that his name was not 'Michael'.

jedikaiti:

--- Quote from: Bobbie on July 14, 2014, 06:48:20 PM ---There is company that is offering to send you the official title to your house after you close.  They want $82 for it and its "official".  The real estate agent that is warning people that it is a scam says the title company will give you many copies for free.  It is national scam and just made it to Idaho.

--- End quote ---

I got that "offer" several times right after I bought my house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version