A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (602/1414) > >>

MommyPenguin:
Besides which, if you actually do something like that, you get a letter, not an email, and it's covered with letterhead that makes it clear who it's coming from, etc.  My husband once drove from D.C. to Boston with his EasyPass transponder not working, and he doesn't pay attention to those green lights telling you that yes, it read your transponder.  So he got a set of letters afterwards saying that he needed to pay.  They were all clearly marked things like "New York Highway Administration" or whatever, and paying through their website was an option, also sending a check by mail.  When it's legit, it's really obvious.  (Turns out that his theory that those speed limits for which you can go through the EasyPass booth aren't really required is false.   ::) )

Twik:

--- Quote from: ScubaGirl on July 16, 2014, 07:53:38 AM ---Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

--- End quote ---

Hey, she didn't open an infected attachment, or send money to a scammer without thinking. I bet some IT people are going, "I just wish *my* users had that much sense."  ;)

atirial:

--- Quote from: Twik on July 16, 2014, 08:14:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: ScubaGirl on July 16, 2014, 07:53:38 AM ---Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

--- End quote ---

Hey, she didn't open an infected attachment, or send money to a scammer without thinking. I bet some IT people are going, "I just wish *my* users had that much sense."  ;)

--- End quote ---
Hands up here. I actually had someone fall for the Nigerian scam. Fortunately she didn't lose money because she wasn't good with online banking, asked me to set up the transfer and told me why, which is when I put the breaks on it. Even now after all the links I showed her, she still seems to think I scammed her out of a fortune.  ::)

MommyPenguin:
I used to work at a library, and we had this really nice, chatty guy who was I guess the janitor?  He was constantly eager to get into some scheme or another to get rich quick (he talked about wanting a Cadillac, I think?).  I always felt bad when he'd talk to me about the latest "opportunity" that I knew was just a scam but he thought would make his fortune.  It's really sad when you know a good guy who just falls for everything like that and never seems to get anywhere.

ScubaGirl:

--- Quote from: Twik on July 16, 2014, 08:14:32 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I tell everyone to send stuff to me if they have any questions at all about the validity.  I just roll my eyes silently at times.  If I get a lot of similar ones then I'll send out an email to all with the details so they know what to do if they see the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version