Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 717893 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3030 on: July 17, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
I got this today at work:

Dear Customer:

Some one tried to access your PayPal account from unknown destination, please open the PayPal security ApK and secure your PayPal account

Case ID Number: **-***-****-**
 Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.
 We apologize for any inconvenience.

User's who ignore this security update, their PayPal account will be temporary suspend.

In Service,
 Review Department.

So I promptly sent it off to our spam and abuse IT people. I just heard back- several people have also reported it.

I got something similar to that just yesterday, except it mentioned that an 'unauthorized charge' of $53 was being sent to [an email that I can't remember], and if this was not something I initiated, please click here to fix it.    They even said that my Paypal account was linked to 'the credit card number  5581-88XX-XXXX'.   Yeah.  Good try.  Nobody lists the first numbers of a credit card, only the last 4, I didn't know that person, and I did log into Paypal separately to check, and no such charge went through.   

Coralreef

« Reply #3031 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Sometimes I think people around here don't use common sense - they just forward stuff to me.

Hey, she didn't open an infected attachment, or send money to a scammer without thinking. I bet some IT people are going, "I just wish *my* users had that much sense."  ;)

At a company where I worked years ago, the one who clicked on the link and infected the whole system was the IT Manager.  That was a somewhat career limiting move, if I recall correctly.

[/right

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3032 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
I don't remember if I told this, but when my aunt got one of those "I'm stranded in London, please send me money" e-mails supposedly from my brother she had the sense to contact me before doing anything, and said she wouldn't do anything until she heard back.  I called my brother and talked to his wife, who told me that if he was in London it was news to her as he'd left for work just a couple of hours previously.  So I let my aunt know that it was a scam.  My other sister also got the same e-mail, but recognized it for the scam it was, and I also eventually got one.  (Asked Bro how he liked London, and he said, "I really didn't notice.")  At least if someone forwards a scam to the IT people rather than just clicking on a link that could save a lot of headaches.

jane7166

« Reply #3033 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
A few days ago, I made a reservation for a hotel room for a Marriott hotel in Michigan, going to what I thought was the Courtyard Marriott website for that specific hotel. The web address said Marriott all the way through the transaction. However, apparently some company called Reservation Counter spoofed the website. While it turned out that I actually had a reservation at this hotel, it was through a third party company, not eligible for rewards, etc., and had another fee associated with this "convenience."

This is not just associated with Marriott hotels, it's other places, too, I have found, after checking complaint sites about this company.  I am not, however, impressed with the Marriott guy I on-line chatted with.  Kind of a "sucks to be you" attitude.  I would think they would be more concerned about another company spoofing their web address. 

We stayed at a different Marriott property in a different state in June, making on-line reservations with no trouble. I have no idea how you make sure you are actually contacting the hotel that you want - maybe go to the franchise web site and not what you think might be for the specific hotel? I cancelled the first reservation and made a different one at another Marriott property. Yikes!

o_gal

« Reply #3034 on: July 24, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
Just got a howler (me laughing, not a Harry Potter howler)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thu 7/24/14 12:05 AM
To: 

Attachments:  1 attachment |  Download all as zip  (15.7 KB)   
  AD HOC COMMITTEE.docx  (15.7 KB)  View online   

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content|I trust ad_hoccommittee@hotmail.com. Always show content.

OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE

AD HOC COMMITTEE.

------------------------

Yes, I will immediately open the file. I am so scared of what the ad hoc committee will do to me if I don't open it  >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3035 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
You had better watch out for them!

I got one from a service ticket with an attachment, telling me my payment was in the attachment. Not taking a chance of opening it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3036 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »
I've been sent this one three times, each from a different email address, under the heading of : BLESSED CONSIGNMENT PROPOSAL.
I hope this finds you well.

This message is not intended to cause any form of embarrassment or intrusion in whatever form.I am sgt Gary of the United States Army on Active Duty, based in Camp Red Cloud, Stationed in Uijeongbu, South Korea promoting peace around the Korean Peninsula. I have a proposal of mutual benefit for you and it is one hundred percent risk free. It does not require your funding and I will be glad to discuss more of this in my next message, if you are interested. My ID will also be sent in due course.

Thank you for your time.
 God bless America
Protesting that it isn't intended to cause embarrassment seems really strange, IMHO.  Merriam-Webster defines it as:

: the state of feeling foolish in front of others
: something or someone that causes a person or group to look or feel foolish
So receiving an email from an obvious spammer makes me feel foolish?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:18:23 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3037 on: July 24, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
It's almost like a mystery game.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3038 on: July 24, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
I got one of those "I need help to get millions of dollars out of my country" e-mails this morning.  I laughed derisively and deleted it.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3039 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
I've been sent this one three times, each from a different email address, under the heading of : BLESSED CONSIGNMENT PROPOSAL.

This message is not intended to cause any form of embarrassment or intrusion in whatever form.I am sgt Gary of the United States Army on Active Duty, based in Camp Red Cloud, Stationed in Uijeongbu, South Korea promoting peace around the Korean Peninsula. I have a proposal of mutual benefit for you and it is one hundred percent risk free. It does not require your funding and I will be glad to discuss more of this in my next message, if you are interested. My ID will also be sent in due course.

Thank you for your time.
 God bless America
Protesting that it isn't intended to cause embarrassment seems really strange, IMHO.  Merriam-Webster defines it as:

Actually, "embarrass" has a couple of further definitions, which are more relevant:

2. to make difficult or intricate, as a question or problem; complicate.

3. to put obstacles or difficulties in the way of; impede:
"The motion was advanced in order to embarrass the progress of the bill."

4. to beset with financial difficulties; burden with debt:
"The decline in sales embarrassed the company."

This is I think a sign of the typical "Nigerian" scams, which may sometimes use words very formally, but not in ways commonly encountered in North America.

And I think that definition (4) is what responding to a scam usually leads to.

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3040 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »

Thank you for your time.
 God bless America

Actually, "embarrass" has a couple of further definitions, which are more relevant:

2. to make difficult or intricate, as a question or problem; complicate.

3. to put obstacles or difficulties in the way of; impede:
"The motion was advanced in order to embarrass the progress of the bill."

4. to beset with financial difficulties; burden with debt:
"The decline in sales embarrassed the company."

This is I think a sign of the typical "Nigerian" scams, which may sometimes use words very formally, but not in ways commonly encountered in North America.

And I think that definition (4) is what responding to a scam usually leads to.
Learn something every day!  I had no idea embarrass had these other definitions.  :-[    But yes, the odd phrasing usually gives them away, as does the copy-paste from some legitimate site in order to sound American. "based in Camp Red Cloud, Stationed in Uijeongbu, South Korea promoting peace around the Korean Peninsula."  No American military would have used "based" and "stationed" in the same sentence. Nor would they have included the puffery about "promoting peace." 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3041 on: July 25, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
I knew the phrase "I find myself temporarily embarrassed," but didn't realize "embarrassed" had a specific financial meaning.  Cool!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3042 on: July 25, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
Not really a scam, but a telemarketer who was trying to be polite...

"Hello, this is Bill from Superior Construction. I'm sorry for the intrusion..." I interrupted him at that point: "Well, Bill. Rather than apologize, in the future just don't intrude in the first place. By the way, I'm on the national DNC and you just broke the law. Please put me on your DNC. Thank you. Bye. *click*"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

mlmama

« Reply #3043 on: July 26, 2014, 02:24:44 AM »
I just got this one:

Hi,

You received a private voicemail

To listen to your message please call toll Free At:

1-888-XXX-XXXX

Call now before your message expires.

Thank You

I'm pretty sure if I have a voicemail it will be on my personal phone, not on a random 800 number.  ;)

shadowfox79

« Reply #3044 on: July 26, 2014, 03:32:02 AM »
We got one at the office a week or so back. Usual "click on this file" email which we all deleted - or should have.

Shortly afterwards, right before a board meeting which required us to access the networked drive (we were confirming student results) the drive crashes. I and my assistant scramble around and eventually manage to present the marks by pulling them direct from the online database, which means a lot of messing about every time a new module comes up.

Just as we're finally about to start the meeting, one of our less intelligent female academics comes in laughing. "I clicked on an email and now the drive's crashed, hahaha!"

[insert head-banging emoji here]