News:

• April 23, 2018, 08:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2523179 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3045 on: July 28, 2014, 05:46:35 AM »
Had a real life one today. Was walking home and saw a group of boys. They asked me if I wanted fifty dollars. (Yes they had a bill with them) Knowing it was most likely counterfeit (who offers money to strangers anyway?!) I kept walking.
I got a "Wouldn't even take fifty dollars" muttered after me.

Nice try scammers.

Somehow, I don't think scamming you was on their minds.

Wasn't my first thought either. Counterfeiters make fake money to get real money, if the bill was a fake they would have asked if you had change in small bills. Then you take the fake money and they now have real money.

Where they underage and not too far from a liquor store?

They were standing in front of a now closed down (i think) Hookah Lounge. And we were in a public place. With lots of stores in that plaza. And if they had tried anything, I could have run into any number of shops screaming and had the police immediately called. Not a smart move on their part. I did suspect what y'all do though (again, who just gives away money) and I walked through the middle of their group (no choice they took up the whole extra large walking space) and they didn't follow me, so who knows.

Hmmm... How to say this delicately? 

Huh, they thought or hoped you were a "lady of the evening".
A "lady of negotiable affection." A "working girl."  100 years ago, a "soiled dove."  200 years ago, an "actress."  In Ankh-Morpork, a "seamstress."  I know there are lots more...

"purveyor of horizontal refreshment"

Yeah but I have no idea how. I mean I was in jeans and a T-shirt for crying out loud. I was walking like a normal person going about my business. It was day time. In a plaza where no lady of the evening would be, trust me. Unless its because they are so young they didn't realize this? I think I am just gonna go with "They were young, and didn't realize this is not where you do that sort of thing" any other explanation makes my brain hurt.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3046 on: July 28, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
Had a real life one today. Was walking home and saw a group of boys. They asked me if I wanted fifty dollars. (Yes they had a bill with them) Knowing it was most likely counterfeit (who offers money to strangers anyway?!) I kept walking.

Nice try scammers.

Wasn't my first thought either. Counterfeiters make fake money to get real money, if the bill was a fake they would have asked if you had change in small bills. Then you take the fake money and they now have real money.

They were standing in front of a now closed down (i think) Hookah Lounge. And we were in a public place. With lots of stores in that plaza. And if they had tried anything, I could have run into any number of shops screaming and had the police immediately called. Not a smart move on their part. I did suspect what y'all do though (again, who just gives away money) and I walked through the middle of their group (no choice they took up the whole extra large walking space) and they didn't follow me, so who knows.

A "lady of negotiable affection." A "working girl."  100 years ago, a "soiled dove."  200 years ago, an "actress."  In Ankh-Morpork, a "seamstress."  I know there are lots more...

Yeah but I have no idea how. I mean I was in jeans and a T-shirt for crying out loud. I was walking like a normal person going about my business. It was day time. In a plaza where no lady of the evening would be, trust me. Unless its because they are so young they didn't realize this? I think I am just gonna go with "They were young, and didn't realize this is not where you do that sort of thing" any other explanation makes my brain hurt.

You'd be amazed where you can get propositioned.  I've had it happen on the public bus (when I was a teenager) in jeans and -tshirt, walking in the mall/shopping center in jeans and a hoodie, while jogging in sweats, and even after work in the grocery store dressed in really nice work clothes.  I just don't get it.  I certainly do not look like a hooker.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3047 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
Maybe some people don't think that you have to be a prostitute, like as a career, to be interested in earning some quick money.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3048 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:59 AM »
I was accosted while walking down the street in Las Vegas, in broad daylight. "Are you working?" I figured it was the way I was dressed. I was wearing a three-piece suit, carrying a briefcase, and sporting a name tag from a meeting of a scientific society. (The guy was rather drunk, so perhaps mistook "Obscure-Scientific-Word Society Annual Meeting" for "Hello there! Feeling lonely?")

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

« Reply #3049 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

It's astonishing, really. But I learned quickly, the year at university when I lived near a red-light district.

I, a naÔve young thing from a small town (but who had watched, you know, movies) was able to pick out the ladies of the evening quite easily. They were the ones in scanty garb, standing on the street waving to men. But apparently to their clients, cruising the street slowly with burning eyes, anything female was likely one. Even a young woman wearing jeans, T-shirt and plain jacket, no makeup, walking quickly with her head down, not making eye contact, was (in their mind) merely a courtesan with a bad marketing plan. In fact, they seemed to think being told to go away was some sort of negotiating ploy.

So no, I would not be surprised if young men thought that waving $50 at random women in broad daylight was going to achieve their carnal goals.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

learningtofly

« Reply #3050 on: July 28, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »

Nice try scammers.

Wait wait wait!!! That's what a seamstress is in Ankh-Morpork???  I have a lot of rereading to do

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3051 on: July 28, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Wait wait wait!!! That's what a seamstress is in Ankh-Morpork???  I have a lot of rereading to do

"A survey once found more than 987 women occupied as seamstresses. And two needles."
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

jaxsue

« Reply #3052 on: July 28, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
My DS was propositioned today at the rest area we stopped at. His father was next to him, and DS is 16, but looks 18/19. A woman in her 30's asked him if he had "time for her". He told her no.

Recently I was in the West Village in NYC. It's a bohemian place, overall, which is why I like going there. As we walked down the street we heard a conversation. A guy had propositioned a teenage girl. Her mother was with her, although he didn't know that. The dressing down he got from mama bear was awesome!  :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3053 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
"Female boarding house" was a common late 19th C. term for a particular kind of business.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Virg

« Reply #3054 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
In Nikko-Chan's situation, I wouldn't suspect they were propositioning her so much as trying to get her to buy something age-restricted.  The former is possible, but given that they were in a group and led off with mention of payment, I find the latter more likely.  Their presence outside a hookah shop tends to support them trying to get her to buy them smokes by offering to let her keep the change.

Virg

GreenHall

« Reply #3055 on: July 28, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
My first response (which I never posted since the conversation moved on) was that when I saw someone handing out 'money' on the campus I work at, it was actually religious tracts.

Since that was my first mental idea on what was going on, the movement into 'seamstress' territory is definitely a little odd, mentally.  (Cognitive dissonance?)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #3056 on: July 28, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »

Can I borrow this? I love it!!  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Margo

« Reply #3057 on: July 28, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
I have jut received an email from the newly sworn chair of the US Federal Reserve Bank (who , for no doubt totally legitimate reasons has an email address with a Korean suffix) telling me that she has my file here in her office and I seem to have overlooked my $850,000 fund. Which, obviously, is the sort of thing it is easy to overlook.

And to think, my spam-filter would have stopped me claiming this money!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3058 on: July 28, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
Is it sad that when I think of 'horizontal refreshment', I think of a big place full of napping cubicles?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3059 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »

Can I borrow this? I love it!!  ;D

Of course - I stole it from a college roomie who got it I-don't-know-where.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture