Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 635475 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3090 on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »
I've also seen "mattress dancer and "exotic dancer" - not to mention "a member of Hooker's brigade" (the American Civil War officer would have been horrified at his name being a synonym for a variety of women he was trying to keep away from his soldiers).  Although the use of "hooker" for that "profession" is documented in writing before the 1860s.

http://historymyths.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/myth-85-prostitutes-were-so-common-around-gen-joseph-hookers-army-that-they-became-known-as-hookers/

Strumpet goes way back....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:51:44 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3091 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
Ack! I was calling my credit card company and mis-dialed one of the numbers. I was puzzled to hear a message saying that just by calling in, I won a trip to the Bahamas. I hope I'm not charged for the call (it's a 888 number so I don't think so), and I also hope I'm not in the "system" now and they'll start calling me.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3092 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Another bank that I don't do business with in a country that I have nothing to do with wants to give me money!! This time it's Indonesia instead of Africa.

DEAR BENEFICIARY,

COMPLIMENT OF THE DAY TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, AM MRS. DHALIA MANSOR, AM THE DIRECTOR OF INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT IN BANK CENTRAL ASIA JAKARTA INDONESIA, THIS MAIL IS TO NOTIFY YOU OF THE NEW DEVELOPMENT IN OUR BANKING SYSTEM SINCE THE NEW PRESIDENT JOKO WIDODO WILL BE TAKING OVER FROM OCTOBER THIS YEAR, HE HAS ALREADY STARTED MAKING CHANGES IN FINANCIAL ISSUES INCLUDING UNCLAIMED FUNDS FROM OUR FOREIGN CUSTOMERS.

THEREFORE WE WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR FUND WHICH IS $10.500.000.00 (TEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES DOLLARS) HAS BEEN APPROVED TO BE RELEASED TO YOU ON THE CONDITION THAT OUR BANK ATTORNEY HAS TO SECURE THE TWO DOCUMENTS COVERING YOUR CLAIM BEFORE IT CAN BE RELEASED TO YOU, THE NAME OF THE ATTORNEY IS MR. AGUS MULYADI, YOU ARE TO CONTACT HIM ON THE BELLOW EMAIL AND FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS TO ENABLE HIM SECURE THE DOCUMENTS ON YOUR BEHALF, HAVE IT IN MIND THAT YOU WILL BE ASKED TO PAY CHARGES FOR THE DOCUMENTS BEFORE HE CAN PROCEED, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT THEN YOU WILL ACT ACCORDINGLY AND CLAIM YOUR FUND.

NOTE: WITHOUT THIS TWO DOCUMENT WHICH WILL BE MENTIONED TO YOU BY THE ATTORNEY, THE FUND WILL NOT BE RELEASED TO YOU, THEREFORE YOU ARE ADVISED TO CONTACT MR. AGUS MULYADI IMMEDIATELY FOR THE PROCESS OF THE DOCUMENT. AND ALSO PROVIDE TO US THE BELLOW DATA FOR MORE VERIFICATION.

ATTORNEY'S CONTACT DETAILS.

NAME: MR. AGUS MULYADI ESQ.
E-MAIL:  {redacted}@gmail.com
TEL:  {redacted}

YOU ARE ADVISED TO PROVIDE TO US:

1. FULL NAME:____________________________
2. ADDRESS:______________________________
3. NATIONALITY:____________SEX___________
4. AGE:____________DATE OF BIRTH:________
5. OCCUPATION:___________________________
6. PHONE:_______FAX:_____________________
7. STATE OF ORIGIN:_______COUNTRY:_______
8. DRIVERS LICENSE:____________________
9. COPY OF YOUR IDENTITY:________________

NEVER YOU DISCUSS THIS IMPORTANT MASSAGE TO ANY BODY AS THIS SHOULD BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL AND ALSO TO AVOID DIVERSION OF FUNDS. {oops  :P}

SINCERELY,
MRS. DHALIA MANSOR
DIRECTOR INTER REMIT DEPARTMENT
BANK CENTRAL ASIA(B.C.A)
JAKARTA INDONESIA.
E-MAIL:  {redacted}@asia.com

Why do all these international banking and lawyer big-wigs always have gmail?

Oh, and someone needs to tell the nice Mrs. Mansor that her shift key is stuck.  >:D

Oh, and the message was sent from Auburn University in Montgomery, Alabama.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:17:43 PM by Miss Misery »

KB

« Reply #3093 on: July 31, 2014, 08:18:17 PM »
Ack! I was calling my credit card company and mis-dialed one of the numbers. I was puzzled to hear a message saying that just by calling in, I won a trip to the Bahamas. I hope I'm not charged for the call (it's a 888 number so I don't think so), and I also hope I'm not in the "system" now and they'll start calling me.

Google the number (if you can remember it) and see what the searches turn up.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3094 on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
Has anyone gotten anything from "Baba mail"? It even had "Lucas, a message from Bob" in the subject.

We just deleted it, and deleted the trash.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3095 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
The scammers have jumped right on the Ebola outbreak.  I have two missive in my spambox soliciting for "donations" to fight it.  ::)  Both have very generic senders (So-and-So Associates) and websites like fightebola(dot)com.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3096 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
The scammers have jumped right on the Ebola outbreak.  I have two missive in my spambox soliciting for "donations" to fight it.  ::)  Both have very generic senders (So-and-So Associates) and websites like fightebola(dot)com.

Wow.  That is *very* nasty.  (The main groups I've heard of working over there are Samaritan's Purse and SIM, and the CDC and WHO are involved--not sure if you can donate to them?--so people would be wise to just go directly through one of those groups.)

Lauds

« Reply #3097 on: August 02, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »

Wow.  That is *very* nasty.  (The main groups I've heard of working over there are Samaritan's Purse and SIM, and the CDC and WHO are involved--not sure if you can donate to them?--so people would be wise to just go directly through one of those groups.)

Going by news reports Doctors Without Borders/Medicins Sans Frontiers are very much involved in treating people and they're a fairly well known charity.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3098 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »

Going by news reports Doctors Without Borders/Medicins Sans Frontiers are very much involved in treating people and they're a fairly well known charity.

I hadn't seen them mentioned in the articles I saw, but that totally makes sense that they'd be out there.  So, yeah, I'd just suggest looking up the local groups who are really active there and donating specifically to them.  Then you know that your donation is going in the right place.  Even if they don't have a fund specifically for this project, I'm sure that money from their general fund is going to it, so a donation to their general fund will help fill that fund back up.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3099 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
So as not to derail this thread, I'll link to an Ebola outbreak thread I have been maintaining here, on a travel forum. My thoughts about where to donate are in posts #79 and #92. (I mentioned the eHell sightings of scammers in post #90)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3100 on: August 04, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
I have my first ever post from the Secret Service!  I've won a lottery, and they've OK'ed it and everything!  All I have to do is send them $200 for the paperwork!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #3101 on: August 04, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
I was feeling all left out, but I just got a phone call today: apparently I have won a free trip to Disneyworld. All I had to do was press one to claim it. I hung up, then I picked it up to dial 1471 and discovered the very annoyed scammer was still on the line:
"This is not a correct response. Please press one."
I hung up again.

(It's a premium rate phone scam. In case anyone has not encountered it, there are details here)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3102 on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:09 AM »
Another scammer with laughable typing and spelling skills with a gmail account. All errors in original:

Eric Moore
Chambers England
Phone: {removed}

Good Day ,

This is a personal email directed to you and I request that it be
treated as such. I am Barr.Eric Moore, a solicitor at law. I am the
personal attorney/sole executor to the late Mr.Jonathan, hereinafter
referred to as 'my client ‘who worked as an independent oil magnate in
my country and who died in a car crash with his immediate family on
the 4th of oct,2008. Since the death of my client in Oct, 2008, I have
written several letters to the embassy with intent to locate any of
his extended relatives whom shall be claimants/beneficiaries of his
abandoned personal estate and all such efforts have been to no avail.

More so, I have received official letters in the last few weeks
suggesting a likely proceeding for confiscation of his abandoned
personal assets in line with existing laws by the bank in which my
client deposited the sum of 4.8 million U.S.D.On this note I decided
to search for a credible person and finding that you bear a similar
last name, I decided to contact you, that I may, with your consent,
present you to the “trustee" as my late client's surviving family
member so as to enable you put up a claim to the bank in that capacity
as a next of kin of my client. I find this possible for the fuller
reasons that you bear a similar last name with my client making it a
lot easier for you to put up a claim in that capacity. I propose that
65% of the net sum will accrue to you at the conclusion of this deal
in so far as I do not incur further expenses.

Therefore, to facilitate the immediate transfer of this fund, I would
like you to contact me immediately by providing the following;
(1) Your full Name
(2) Mobile/ House phone number
(3) Current Address
(4) Occupation
This will enable me open up communication with you. I will immediately
appraise you with the complete details as well as fax you the
documents, with which you are to proceed and I shall direct on how to
put up an application to the bank. HOWEVER, you will have to assent to
an express agreement which I will forward to you in order to bind us
in this transaction.

Upon the receipt of your reply, I will send you by fax or E-mail the
next step to take. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this
proposal is hitch-free and that you should not entertain any fears as
the required arrangements have been made for the completion of this
transfer. Like I have implied, I require only a solemn confidentiality
on this.

Best regards,

Barr.Eric Moore         

Snooks

« Reply #3103 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
A familial moocher, SIL will not put her hand in her pocket for anything.  FIL is going to be about an hour away from her for a few days and has rented an apartment, SIL declares she's planning on going over and may stay, just so he knows to get enough food in for her and BIL.  No offer to take him out for a meal or take him something over!  This is the same SIL & BIL who when GMIL was in hospital went out for dinner with DH and MIL and MIL didn't have her purse with her (having jumped in the ambulance with GMIL) and expected DH to pick up the tab for all of them because MIL didn't have her purse (which he did so as to not cause a scene).

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #3104 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
OK this one had me laughing out loud today. Subject line: Are you alive or dead? Re: the bolded part, I am so very tempted to reply to him that I am indeed, dead a la Monty Python: "I have expired and gone to meet my maker. Bereft of life, I rest in peace. I have shuffled off the mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible."  that would be totally wrong, right? >:D

From The Desk Of
 Mr Godwein Emefiele,
 New CBN Governor.
 SAM Akintola Street,
 Garki 11, P.M.B. 187, Garki
 Abuja- Nigeria
 Email:mrmarknobertccac@gmail.com

Attention:Beneficairy,

After my appointment as the NEW GOVERNOR OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA,an official meeting held with the President o Nigeria and Minister of finance concerning unpaid and unclaimed funds to foreign beneficiaries,like you.

Are you alive or dead? The reason for this question is that I received an email from Mr.John Green. Who said that you are dead and you have given him Letter Of Authorization before your death to claim your fund?

Furthermore, I told him that the transfer is being with held due to a transfer fee of $200 dollars only. Your total sum which value is $27,000,000.00 is being with held due to a transfer fee of $200 only, and the fund have been approved for transfer in your favor.

And I asked him to call back on Monday, so I can confirm from you first. Are you aware of this? He also promised to pay the transfer fee of the sum of $200 dollars only on Monday. If you are alive Please, quickly get back to me via this email address for security reasons :(mrmarknobertccac@gmail.com)

let me know if you are alive or not also reconfirm your details such as:

1 Your Full Name==
 2 Mobile Phone Number===
 3 Current Home Address===
 4 Fax Number===
 5 Country====
 6 City====
 7 Occupation====
 8 Scan copy of your valid ID card. Your ID card is very vital

We are Waiting for your urgent respond.
 Thanks for your co_operation.

Yours sincerely,