News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 24, 2017, 02:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2028633 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3090 on: August 05, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
OK this one had me laughing out loud today. Subject line: Are you alive or dead? Re: the bolded part, I am so very tempted to reply to him that I am indeed, dead a la Monty Python: "I have expired and gone to meet my maker. Bereft of life, I rest in peace. I have shuffled off the mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible."  that would be totally wrong, right? >:D

From The Desk Of
 Mr Godwein Emefiele,
 New CBN Governor.
 SAM Akintola Street,
 Garki 11, P.M.B. 187, Garki
 Abuja- Nigeria
 Email:mrmarknobertccac@gmail.com

Attention:Beneficairy,

After my appointment as the NEW GOVERNOR OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA,an official meeting held with the President o Nigeria and Minister of finance concerning unpaid and unclaimed funds to foreign beneficiaries,like you.

Are you alive or dead? The reason for this question is that I received an email from Mr.John Green. Who said that you are dead and you have given him Letter Of Authorization before your death to claim your fund?

Furthermore, I told him that the transfer is being with held due to a transfer fee of $200 dollars only. Your total sum which value is $27,000,000.00 is being with held due to a transfer fee of $200 only, and the fund have been approved for transfer in your favor.

And I asked him to call back on Monday, so I can confirm from you first. Are you aware of this? He also promised to pay the transfer fee of the sum of $200 dollars only on Monday. If you are alive Please, quickly get back to me via this email address for security reasons :(mrmarknobertccac@gmail.com)

let me know if you are alive or not also reconfirm your details such as:

1 Your Full Name==
 2 Mobile Phone Number===
 3 Current Home Address===
 4 Fax Number===
 5 Country====
 6 City====
 7 Occupation====
 8 Scan copy of your valid ID card. Your ID card is very vital

We are Waiting for your urgent respond.
 Thanks for your co_operation.

Yours sincerely,
 Mr Godwin Emefiele,
 New Governor.
 Central Bank Of Nigeria.

This one could be fun to mess with by replying back and saying that this is PapaMootz and  yes, unfortunately, MamaMootz has tragically passed away.  We don't know a Mr. John Green but I would like to claim the transfer on behalf of my late wife.

I don't personally like to mess with scammers but I know some people do.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3091 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
Email subject:
Free Lasik evaluation- Schedule one now. 1 Weird Trick To Better S-x, Increased Energy, Sharper Focus

[I had not realized that ophthalmologists have made such incredible advances in their science. Surely worthy of a Nobel or at least an IgNobel.]

I just had lasik and I did not get these benefits either.  I am going to mention this at my next recheck !

Coralreef

« Reply #3092 on: August 06, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Email subject:
Free Lasik evaluation- Schedule one now. 1 Weird Trick To Better S-x, Increased Energy, Sharper Focus

[I had not realized that ophthalmologists have made such incredible advances in their science. Surely worthy of a Nobel or at least an IgNobel.]

I just had lasik and I did not get these benefits either.  I am going to mention this at my next recheck !

I hope you at least got the sharper focus so not everything is blurry  ;) .
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Shalamar

« Reply #3093 on: August 06, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »
Here's one from many years ago:

I was walking back to work after having had lunch.  I was in a very good mood because I'd just bought a bubble gum machine (I'd wanted one for ages).  A strange guy stopped me and said "I have to place you under arrest - for looking so good!"  I was somewhat charmed (he was kind of cute), and we chatted for a few minutes.  He then asked if I would be willing to donate some money to his church in exchange for a  pamphlet.   Realizing that this was a scam (with an inward sigh of regret - he really was cute, and I thought he was trying to pick me up), I gave him five bucks.  The pamphlet I received was a Hari Krishna publication.   

Now - this guy did not look like your typical Hari Krishna.  No robes (he was wearing ordinary clothes), and he had a full head of hair.  So, I felt pretty cheated.  I still let him keep the money, though, and I tossed the pamphlet in the nearest trash.

That wasn't the end of it, though.  One of the regular journalists for our local newspaper was accosted by the same guy (he presumably didn't use the "you look so good" line on the (male) journalist, however).   Journalist immediately knew the smell of BS and demanded to know why the guy didn't look like a Hari Krishna.  Guy said defensively "If I didn't wear these clothes and this wig, no-one would give me money!".

gramma dishes

« Reply #3094 on: August 06, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
Email subject:

On the other hand, if you were experiencing the effects of better s-x and increased energy, you might not care so much about not being able to see well.   :)

Roodabega

« Reply #3095 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »
I got this one today from "E-ZPass Info"

Dear customer,

You have not paid for driving on a toll road. This invoice is sent repeatedly,
please service your debt in the shortest possible time.

The invoice can be downloaded here.

Funny, we don't have toll roads in Michigan.  Sort of ironic that the bottom line has "Phishing Policy".  Not selectable of course.  The Sent email contains paintball and is a .fr.  Pretty darn sure I haven't been on a toll road in France.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #3096 on: August 06, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
Just received a call regarding air mile points. All I had to do was press 1. I hung up.

Victoria

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3097 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »

Dear customer,

Funny, we don't have toll roads in Michigan.  Sort of ironic that the bottom line has "Phishing Policy".  Not selectable of course.  The Sent email contains paintball and is a .fr.  Pretty darn sure I haven't been on a toll road in France.

I've gotten this one also.  Ironically I have been trying to get an invoice from Texas Tollways for driving on a toll road in May and have been unable to get that taken care of.  I have this horror that I actually will get a huge bill for a .75 toll later in life. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3098 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I got this from a Yahoo email address:

Dear <my name>,

We are delighted to offer you the open position of a "Financial Assistant".

Basic requirements:

- US residency;
- computer skills and e-mail address;
- Honesty and strong communication skills

If you are interested, please reply to this email

Best regards,
Hiring Coordinator

Is it me or does it smell of "illegal money relay" to anyone else?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MrTango

« Reply #3099 on: August 07, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »

Dear customer,

There is one toll road in Michigan, but I'm pretty sure the Mackinac Bridge Authority doesn't use E-Z Pass

MissRose

« Reply #3100 on: August 07, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »

Dear customer,

There is one toll road in Michigan, but I'm pretty sure the Mackinac Bridge Authority doesn't use E-Z Pass

Neither do the other other toll bridges in the state that connect to Canada and the Windsor Tunnel....

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3101 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »
Our phone rang a short while ago. Our own phone number appeared in the caller ID  :o

Take a guess who it was..........if you guessed "Rachel from Card Member Services", you were right.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #3102 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »
Email subject:

On the other hand, if you were experiencing the effects of better s-x and increased energy, you might not care so much about not being able to see well.   :)

Well, everybody knows that too much s-x makes you blind.  ;)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3103 on: August 08, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
When I first joined Facebook, I would regularly get friend requests from young women, who wanted to share with me photos of their naked selves.  Someone on ehell said that they were pron spambots.

I started accepting the friend requests, and would immediately start posting comments, expressing condolences for the advanced state of their STDs.  I was immediately unfriended and blocked.  And unlike reporting to the Admins (who would shut down one, only to have another pop up immediately), I only had to do this twice, and I have never been bothered since.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3104 on: August 08, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
When I first joined Facebook, I would regularly get friend requests from young women, who wanted to share with me photos of their naked selves.  Someone on ehell said that they were pron spambots.

I started accepting the friend requests, and would immediately start posting comments, expressing condolences for the advanced state of their STDs.  I was immediately unfriended and blocked.  And unlike reporting to the Admins (who would shut down one, only to have another pop up immediately), I only had to do this twice, and I have never been bothered since.

Smart !

This is why I use the Jesus Saves! when I get an obvious scam (if I respond at all), they don't want to hear that. Once I heard back from one that said something along the lines of "you Americans think you are so much better than everyone else"  hmmm don't know how those two relate but at least the scammer went away.