News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 02:39:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2024594 times)

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3180 on: September 08, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
As with the example below from Barclay's bank, numbers starting +44 70 (or 070 in the UK) are special numbers to forward your call overseas and seem to be in more and more use by scammers. Please be careful!

No they aren't.  '+44' is the recognised international dialing code for calling the UK from anywhere else in the world, it doesn't matter if it's added to a number when you are calling from within the UK.  A number starting '070' is simply a mobile and not a landline.

DaisyG

« Reply #3181 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »
As with the example below from Barclay's bank, numbers starting +44 70 (or 070 in the UK) are special numbers to forward your call overseas and seem to be in more and more use by scammers. Please be careful!

No they aren't.  '+44' is the recognised international dialing code for calling the UK from anywhere else in the world, it doesn't matter if it's added to a number when you are calling from within the UK.  A number starting '070' is simply a mobile and not a landline.

Sorry - please see the link below from Ofcom, 070 are not normal mobile numbers, which start 077, 078, or 079.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/consumers-warned-about-070-missed-call-scam/
http://www.express.co.uk/finance/crusader/421338/Costly-phone-scam-rips-off-jobseekers

Shalamar

« Reply #3182 on: September 10, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
Your Credit Card expired in your ṖayṖal áccount

Dear ,

Your Credit Card ending in **** has expired. Since it's the only payment method in your áccount, you'll need to update your card information to continue using PayPal.

Please update your card's expiration date and card security code (CSC) as soon as possible or your áccount will be deleted

You can always add a new card, too.

The funny thing is, my credit card was recently replaced because it had been hacked.    So, if I wasn't paying attention, I might have thought "Oops!  Better update PayPal."  Too bad for this scammer that (a) My credit card is not the only payment method I use with them, (b) This e-mail has various weird spellings that set off my scam-dar, and (c) When I hovered over the "Update card details" button that they so thoughtfully provided, it said "pbdrivingschool.com".

MrTango

« Reply #3183 on: September 10, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
Your Credit Card expired in your ṖayṖal áccount

Dear ,

Your Credit Card ending in **** has expired. Since it's the only payment method in your áccount, you'll need to update your card information to continue using PayPal.

Please update your card's expiration date and card security code (CSC) as soon as possible or your áccount will be deleted

You can always add a new card, too.

The funny thing is, my credit card was recently replaced because it had been hacked.    So, if I wasn't paying attention, I might have thought "Oops!  Better update PayPal."  Too bad for this scammer that (a) My credit card is not the only payment method I use with them, (b) This e-mail has various weird spellings that set off my scam-dar, and (c) When I hovered over the "Update card details" button that they so thoughtfully provided, it said "pbdrivingschool.com".

I wonder if "pb" describes the nature of the driving?  Pb is the elemental symbol for Lead.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3184 on: September 10, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
This may be a legitimate offer but I doubt it-I am now getting calls at one of my offices for a business loan to help my cash flow issue. We don't have a "cash flow issue" and I don't know why we are suddenly being inundated with these calls.

One call had a very thick, distinctive Indian accent and I kept telling her no we did not want a loan, she said, "perfect, how much would you like?"  Zero, we would like zero - get it, nothing, nada, no money.  "Perfect let me transfer you to my supervisor to get started on the qualifying process."  Supervisor with similar accent comes on the phone, "I understand you are interested in a loan for $25,000 to help your business?.  No, I said we aren't interested in any amount, zero, nothing. She started talking about interest rates and I gave up and hung up. 

But the calls keep coming...

I don't recall if I mentioned this one before, but my son Zack is getting this kind of call. He got a new cell phone a while back and this company keeps calling him about the loan that he requested. He's told them to stop. I've told them to stop. I've gotten irate and threatening, but nothing will make them go away. Despite us telling them, repeatedly that: 1) He's a minor and can't enter into a loan; and 2) We never requested any kind of loan from them, they insist. The response is: "But you applied through our web site!" The idea that someone had this number before and applied, or someone entered a random set of numbers that happen to be this phone isn't getting through. The number was entered into their web site, therefore we must want a loan. It's gotten so bad that he's considered changing his number.

"What part of *No*! don't you understand?"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

DollyPond

« Reply #3185 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »
I was getting persistent collection agency calls looking for my nephew that would not stop even though I had asked.  I went to my state's Do Not Call web site and made sure that my number was registered.  After that I filed a complaint via the web site under the "report a violation" feature.  This directly filed a complaint with the state Attorney General's office.  Soon after I received a letter confirming the complaint along with contact information for the agent handling the case.  Shortly after that the phone calls stopped.  I have not been bothered for over 6 months.

You should try something similar to stop the loan calls.  You will need to record the originating phone number (from caller ID), the date(s) of the calls, the name of the company and the name of who you spoke with.

JoW

« Reply #3186 on: September 10, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
Most cell phone plans will let you block a few numbers.  Ask his cell company how.

Faster and easier - put the pest in his Contacts list and assign it the ring tone "no ring".  That will send the calls to voicemail without disturbing your son. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3187 on: September 10, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
I have a contact named Avoid Call, that does not ring or even show when the calls come in. There are about 10 numbers assigned to that so far.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3188 on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
The iPhone can block calls, you don't need to assign a special ringtone. (If that's what Art's son has)  It'll send the numbers directly to voicemail

MrTango

« Reply #3189 on: September 11, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
The iPhone can block calls, you don't need to assign a special ringtone. (If that's what Art's son has)  It'll send the numbers directly to voicemail

My Android phone can do the same. My phone has a limit of 100 numbers.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3190 on: September 11, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Good Day,We have concluded to effect your payment of $2.7 USD, through western union, but the maximum amount you will be receiving each day starting from today is $5000 USD daily until the funds is completely transferred. Kindly Contact Mr. Nze Frank,TEL: +229 [rest of numbers removed. It's a Benin phone #]
E-mail:(uniontransfertbank@[not a bank domain])

Mr. Nze Frank, sent $5000USD in your name today so contact him as soon as you receive this email and call him to give you the MTCN and sender's name to pick the $5000USD. Send to him your full name and  address for the Renew And Activation of Your Payment Fill/also the  only fee you have to pay him is $70 of the Activation fee

Thank you.
Dr.Louis-Marie DUHAMEL

(According to scam web sites, Mr. Nze Frank is a finance minister from Benin who kindly helps people who have been ripped off by 419 scammers.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

hjaye

« Reply #3191 on: September 11, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
I've been getting a call from a Georgia number:

"A formal complaint has been filed in our office concerning a bad check written in your name. Please press one now to talk to our investigator, or call this number........ to connect to our office."

They have called me about three or four times.  I've  ignored them so far. I'm tempted to  press one to see what kind of hogwash they try and throw  at me. I  very rarely write checks, and all of the checks I have written have been cashed without any problems.  I'm figuring they are going to offer me a chance to just make a payment over the phone using a credit card to avoid any criminal charges being filed.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3192 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »
Don't press anything!! I know there was a system a few years back where pressing a number enabled them to make expensive overseas phone calls on your dime. I can't imagine the technology has gone away.

Miss March

« Reply #3193 on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »
This is true. I once worked at a hotel where phone calls were run internally by dialing 9 and then the number you wanted. Scammers would call the front desk pretending to be a phone technician and asking you to dial 9 and then hang up, saying they were testing your phone lines. If you did that, it gave them access to run all sorts of long distance calls on your phone bill.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:41:46 AM by Miss March »
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #3194 on: September 12, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
Not only a scammer, but oblivious as all Ehell...

Many of you know that Cabbage's and my mom died yesterday. Well, after my grandparents and the pastor left the house, I heard a knock at the door. I assumed it was someone come to pay respect, and I was still crying so badly that you could visibly tell, even when I could compose myself to speak calmly.

It wasn't someone paying respect - it was one of those "Oh, I see that your lawn needs treatment! We were recommended to you!" people. I told him we didn't need anything, but he kept nattering on about the great stuff with his company, obviously ignoring that I answered the door with swollen eyes, red face, and tears rolling down. It was all I could do to not scream, "My mother just died, you (redacted phrase that would make Shakespeare blush)!" If I was shilling for something like that, I would hope I would have the common decency to realize that someone who's still in the process of sobbing his/her heart out does not care one whit about the state of their lawn, and probably has worse problems right now than that.

...Either that, or they really are that upset about their lawn, and that lawn care guy is their savior.  >:D (Sorry; I have to find the funny in all of this - it's my nature, and how I cope)

I did finally manage to get the guy to go away, but I sure did not need that yesterday.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter