Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 618774 times)

magicdomino

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3180 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »
I believe Publisher's Clearing House actually shows up at your door if you win. They make a huge production out of it too - they want to get your exited reaction on camera.

I've always wondered what PCH does when the person isn't home.  Hang around waiting?  Ask a neighbor if the lucky winner still lives there?

bloo

« Reply #3181 on: August 28, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
She suggested that they get together and catch up. He started to get a hinky vibe, like she was about to try to sell him something or get him to buy something.

Yep. He's got the inner voice. He just needs to start using it!  :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3182 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
Spammers register all sorts of ridiculous domain names, knowing that the domain will rapidly get placed on spam filters. However, I think this was an unfortunate combination. (For obvious reasons, I have bowdlerized the email subject.)

Subject: Become more manly and make her very happy in the bedroom

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3183 on: August 29, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
I believe Publisher's Clearing House actually shows up at your door if you win. They make a huge production out of it too - they want to get your exited reaction on camera.

I've always wondered what PCH does when the person isn't home.  Hang around waiting?  Ask a neighbor if the lucky winner still lives there?

I've wondered about that, too.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3184 on: August 29, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »

From my understanding, they actually scout you for a few days. Then once you are home, someone relays the message to the production team that are parked nearby.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3185 on: August 29, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
PCH says:
Question - What if I'm not home when the PCH Prize Patrol comes?
Answer - If you are our lucky winner, the Prize Patrol, headed by Dave Sayer, will use all of their resources to locate you and present you with your prize. When our famous Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol awards a prize in person, they make every effort to find that winner. If the winner is at work, on vacation, or away from home, the Prize Patrol will find them.

The Prize Patrol has never failed to track down the winner of our SuperPrize awards!

They also note that winners of lesser awards are notified "via an overnight express carrier such as UPS, FedEx or USPS Express Mail and occasionally via email. Major prize award and SuperPrize winners are not notified via email."

Nutrax

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3186 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »

From my understanding, they actually scout you for a few days. Then once you are home, someone relays the message to the production team that are parked nearby.

I can see it now:

Police: We've caught the guy casing the house! Hands up!

Dude: Don't shoot! I'm from Publisher's Clearing House!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3187 on: August 29, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
Direct and to the point. Sent to the general email address of a friend's business:

Respected sir
Can you help me some money for buy a laptop if possible sir please
Thanking you
Yours faithfully
[Name redacted]
Prasent adress [sic] [Room number in student lodging at a university in India]
[email address redacted]

Nutrax

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3188 on: August 29, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
http://www.techcentral.co.za/we-scam-the-indian-call-centre-scammers/50579/

That was good. I've taken them up to the point where they want to install the remote control software and cut things off.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3189 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Now I'm being bombarded by e-mails from Penny/Simone/Socorro who wants to chat with me because she's bummed from a recent break-up or because she saw my profile on the 'net and -gosh- thinks I'm sssoooo hot!   ::)

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #3190 on: August 30, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »
There's truly nothing new under the sun.  While researching my family genealogy, I came across the Sir Francis Drake Association Hoax. 
In 1913 thousands of people with the last name Drake received a letter from the "Sir Francis Drake Association," an organization founded for the purpose of settling the estate of the legendary British buccaneer who had died 300 years earlier. The letter claimed that the estate was still tied up in probate court, and that since Drake's death in 1596 the value had grown to an estimated $22 billion. Any Drake descendant who wanted a share of the estate was 'Welcome-all they had to do was contribute toward the $2,500-a-week "legal expenses" needed to pursue the case. When the estate was settled, each contributor would be entitled to a proportional share. There was no time to waste-the fight was underway and any Drake descendant who hesitated risked being cut out entirely. To claim a part of the estate, the “descendants” would have to pay for legal expenses to trace their lineage to Sir Francis Drake and move the claim through the legal system. In all, approximately 2 million dollars was collected.
source: http://coryfamsoc.com/articles/francis_drake_hoax.html

Thousands of people fell for the hoax.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3191 on: August 30, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
Great news everyone! According to not one, but two emails that somehow ended up in my Spam folder today, Sveltana wants to marry me!

I'm so delighted! Thank you, Russian bride spammer.

Can I now plan an atrocious shower with a gimme-pig gift registry that will elicit an epic collective gasp from all of you? Please? Pretty please?  >:D

Svetlana wants to marry me, too.  The hussy.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #3192 on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
Well, here's a new one...I get to help a woman "re-profile" some money to help her with her divorce!

Hi,

How are you and your family?

I'm  Mrs Haiyan Li Helen  from China and married to Mr.George Carr from England.We have lived together for some years now and own our business together but now we are having some misunderstandings which have lead to us filling for divorce in the Law Court now. The court ruling/judgement will commence in few weeks coming and i have 1,150,000 million pounds(One million one hundred and fifty thousand pounds, from our joint investment business) deposited in my own bank by my husband when we were in good terms.He is making plan to take this money because he thinks am not a British woman, so he can cheat on me.

If the court judgement commence and we officially divorce,i will loose this fund because of the agreement we had when the money was deposited in my account, therefore i solicit for your help as my partner in business so i could transfer this fund to you in your country as the BENEFICIARY to the fund as soon as possible,since in our agreement, i have the rights to use the money for business purposes and get more income,and once we officially get divorced,i will come over to your country for us to share the fund on 70/30% basic ,and i will be using my share for investment in your country.I will direct you to the bank for the immediate transferring of this fund to you as soon as i hear from you. I will furnish you more details when i receive your reply.

Regards as am waiting for your immediate response and provide me your personal your full names,full address,and  mobile number for proper communication and for security reasons.

Haiyan Li Helen

I'm wondering why her not being British means it's okay to cheat on her (or maybe that means cheat her out of money?). Also, it's very generous of her to invest in my country!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #3193 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
Most likely either "he thinks that since I'm not British, he's better than me and doesn't owe me fidelity" or "he thinks that since I'm not British and he is, a British court will rule against me and let him have all the money."

I have no idea of whether any British court would do that, but it's just plausible that an angry soon-to-be-divorced person would think it might--and "just plausible" is better than average for that sort of story.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3194 on: September 05, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »
We received three phone calls a couple of days ago from "Microsoft Tech Support".  It was a recorded female voice stating that our computer was generating errors and we should press 1 to talk to a technician.

We just hung up the phone.