Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 459567 times)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »
Haha - I just got one. I answered even though the name on my caller id was gibberish and i didn't recognize the number. It was some guy, who could barely speak English, calling about my "microsoft windows computer" nice try since they don't really make computers, and I know its a scam. I just said, hey, I know this is a scam, goodbye and hung up.
This one really annoys me. I've taken to sounding blank and telling them we don't have PCs. It seems to throw them.
Pet Hatchery | My books
Killgrace stories - Webserial current date: 3rd October 1929

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
Haha - I just got one. I answered even though the name on my caller id was gibberish and i didn't recognize the number. It was some guy, who could barely speak English, calling about my "microsoft windows computer" nice try since they don't really make computers, and I know its a scam. I just said, hey, I know this is a scam, goodbye and hung up.
This one really annoys me. I've taken to sounding blank and telling them we don't have PCs. It seems to throw them.

I have heard that telling them you run Linnux typically breaks their script and they'll leave you alone.

My mom clicked on one of those "Make my PC faster" websites.  Got a message that her computer was infected and she'd need to pay $40 a month for 3 years to keep it clean.  She called them up to get the info (she's actually pretty tech savvy, but she's fallen a bit behind).  After a few minutes of the hard sell, she said she'd have to talk to her son in law about it.  The guy on the phone gave her the phone number to call back, then she mentioned that her son in law is the CIO of a company.  The guy on the phone told her that he didn't expect he'd be hearing back from her.  >:D

Yarnspinner

« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
I just got a spam/scam email from "The King of Narnia." WOW.

Bet it's Edmund.

LOL!

Could be the witch, 'cause you never know.

weeblewobble

« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
I just got a spam/scam email from "The King of Narnia." WOW.

Bet it's Edmund.

LOL!

HIGH KING Edmund.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #499 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
Has anyone responded to the message that 3 of your Facebook friends have defriended you?

I won't touch it, of course, but I wonder what the scam is - or unnecessary way to part with my cash, anyway.

Jules1980

« Reply #500 on: February 08, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
I haven't, even if its not a scam I could care less if someone defriends me.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #501 on: February 08, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
It's a scam of SOME sort.  I've gotten that message, and I'm not on Facebook.   ;)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
Has anyone responded to the message that 3 of your Facebook friends have defriended you?

I won't touch it, of course, but I wonder what the scam is - or unnecessary way to part with my cash, anyway.

No, I haven't responded to it, but I have gotten it and find it quite interesting since I am not now nor ever have been on Facebook!   ???

Apparently the whole world has 'defriended' me!   ;D

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
It's a scam of SOME sort.  I've gotten that message, and I'm not on Facebook.   ;)

No, I haven't responded to it, but I have gotten it and find it quite interesting since I am not now nor ever have been on Facebook!   ???

Those explain a lot right there! Thanks.

We only have 50 friends, most family, so it is pretty easy to see if we have been defriended.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »

Presumably, it's bait to make you click on a link, which either tries to plant some sort of malware, or sell you something - "Want to know who they are? Enter your credit card info here, and it's all yours!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »

Presumably, it's bait to make you click on a link, which either tries to plant some sort of malware, or sell you something - "Want to know who they are? Enter your credit card info here, and it's all yours!"

Or "download this piece of software to find out".

CakeBeret

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »

I had a purse stolen, oh, probably twelve years ago now. They took my checkbook and wrote a bunch of checks--KMart and Best Buy are the two I remember--for thousands.

Don't retailers require ID for such large sums? Here you have to show something like two proof of ID for a check over 100 (something like 140$

When my checkbook was stolen, the thief made a fake ID in my name and used that to pass several thousand dollars' worth of checks.

Thankfully I was not held liable for any of the checks. Unthankfully, one of the checks has been bouncing around different collection agencies for the past three years and is now stuck on my credit report, despite sending all appropriate paperwork to the credit bureaus as well as each collection agency. >:( The credit bureaus and collection agencies consider me liable because a [fake] ID in my name was presented. I've given up fighting it at this point.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

CakeBeret

« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »

I have never gotten one of these calls. But if I ever do, I plan to say "A computer? No...no...I don't have a computer. I do have a typewriter, though, can you see into that?"
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #508 on: February 08, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
I've done that.  At the time it was true because I didn't have a home computer.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
I am a member of Barnes & Noble book stores. I pay once a year to renew and I do save quite a bit of money over the year. Two years ago, while in a store, I was told my membership was past due, and asked if I wanted to pay. I did and had the cashier add it to my total. I then saw that I was billed on my credit card two days before.

Barnes & Noble would not credit my account, and I ended up going through the credit card issuer to get a refund.