News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 10:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2208432 times)

pattycake

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6960 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Wow.  They've been engaged for three and a half years, and then 3 weeks before an already-planned trip to go see the eclipse, they have the brilliant idea to get married during it!

Only, they hadn't set a date until now, so they hadn't set any money aside for their wedding and oh, surprise, surprise, weddings are expensive!  So won't you help them meet their $10,000 Go Fund Me goal so they can have their hastily planned three-whole-week-dream eclipse wedding?

https://www.gofundme.com/eclipsewedding

Okay but... they can still do this. All they have to do is this: Find someone to marry them. Say quick vows as the eclipse is happening, kiss. Boom done. Guess what it will cost? The cost of the person marrying them, and the marriage liscense. They don't need to drop 10k on something fancy! Isn't love and a lasting marraige the more important thing here?!

How dare you bring logic into this situation :D
Fortunately, most of the rest of the world sees the logic - in three weeks they've raised $170.

Luci

« Reply #6961 on: August 21, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »
Wow.  They've been engaged for three and a half years, and then 3 weeks before an already-planned trip to go see the eclipse, they have the brilliant idea to get married during it!

Only, they hadn't set a date until now, so they hadn't set any money aside for their wedding and oh, surprise, surprise, weddings are expensive!  So won't you help them meet their $10,000 Go Fund Me goal so they can have their hastily planned three-whole-week-dream eclipse wedding?

Okay but... they can still do this. All they have to do is this: Find someone to marry them. Say quick vows as the eclipse is happening, kiss. Boom done. Guess what it will cost? The cost of the person marrying them, and the marriage liscense. They don't need to drop 10k on something fancy! Isn't love and a lasting marraige the more important thing here?!

Fortunately, most of the rest of the world sees the logic - in three weeks they've raised $170.

In addition to the above, this would be a destination wedding for many, and as some people have booked places a year ago or made plans, how many propel could come.

Of course the important reason not to donate is stated by Nikko-Chan in the first comment!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6962 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
The eclipse couple have three donor levels. At the lowest level, you will be named in the slide show of the wedding they will put up on YouTube. At the middle level, they will actually send you a thank you note, plus a photo of them kissing. The lucky big spenders get a combination card.e holder/snow globe with a starry theme--hand made by the couple.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

pattycake

« Reply #6963 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
Notice:
 You have to appear in Court on 26th August 2017.
 Copy of the Court Notice is attached to this email.
 Please click <http://home.earthlink.net/~jefferysmth/ZZIMRA/zbi.(deleted)> here<https://forms.zohopublic.com/gis2/form/COURTFORM/formperma/(deleted)><http://home.earthlink.net/~ioioioi/co/COURT_CONFI_DOCUMENT.(deleted)>  and read it thoroughly.

Yours faithfully,

Court Secretary
 Gilchrist Jane

Why? What court even?  And the email is li at li dot com, not even an attempt at spoofing a court type address, and, thankfully, no attachment, just links.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6964 on: August 22, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »

In addition to the above, this would be a destination wedding for many, and as some people have booked places a year ago or made plans, how many propel could come.

Of course the important reason not to donate is stated by Nikko-Chan in the first comment!

A day after the event I see they still are at $170   hmmm, go figure. 

3angels

« Reply #6965 on: August 23, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »
Apparently the new thing for scammers is to call in the middle of the night, waking you up, hoping that your half asleep state will keep you from realizing it's a scam until it's too late.

Not cool when you have a family member in the late stages of a terminal illness  >:( 

Twik

« Reply #6966 on: August 23, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Apparently the new thing for scammers is to call in the middle of the night, waking you up, hoping that your half asleep state will keep you from realizing it's a scam until it's too late.

Not cool when you have a family member in the late stages of a terminal illness  >:(

That's vile. Is there any way you can block all numbers except essential ones? If not, the phone companies should be working on it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sirius

« Reply #6967 on: August 23, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »

Had someone call at 11:30 p.m.  I was still up when the call came, and the person told me, "I know it's late, but this is important!"  They got an earful from me.  Mr. Sirius and I have elderly parents, so a call in the middle of the night would wake us up instantly.   

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6968 on: August 23, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »

Had someone call at 11:30 p.m.  I was still up when the call came, and the person told me, "I know it's late, but this is important!"  They got an earful from me.  Mr. Sirius and I have elderly parents, so a call in the middle of the night would wake us up instantly.

I don't think there's anything that could make me be polite under those circumstances.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #6969 on: August 23, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
I just got off the phone with my mother - if there are any middle of the night calls, what they get blasted with will not be pretty. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6970 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
I just got off the phone with my mother - if there are any middle of the night calls, what they get blasted with will not be pretty.

A handy tool to keep by your phone is a $2 bicycle horn.  A honk right in their ear seems to shut them up long enough for you say don't call here again or just to make you feel better.  And it is not as hard on your ears as an airhorn and a lot cheaper. 

Twik

« Reply #6971 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
Certainly it should be illegal for telemarketers to call at night. Of course that won't stop the scammers, who aren't bound by either laws or common decency.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rigs32

« Reply #6972 on: August 24, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
I can't believe I never shared this one.

Background: I am a prosecutor.  I was required to be on call for 15 days every year.  Thankfully, I've now "aged out" of that requirement as you basically don't sleep much for 15 days.  One of your responsibilities it to deal with cold calls, cold emails, and walk ins.

The first days of my last ever on call stint began with a cold email.  Here is that email with certain information changed for privacy:

"dear district attorney, XXXXX county, of XXXXX new York,

I have found out just recently that a friend of mine I have know for a few decades now died. he got into a high speed crash on the highway and died. as a result, I want to contact the district attorney regarding claiming the estate both he and his sister got, for inheritance. the reason is, they are not married, have no children or living relatives even, and there were just the two brother and sister. his name is Tim, and her name is Melissa. they live in City, new york, and they got a small house in Town, new York too. left behind from a diseased mom a long time ago. still not sold yet. both of them are in their 60's, not yet retirement age. he was born 5/8/1951. his sister is younger. I believe they crashed the car having fallen asleep having eaten some floor food at a friend's party, on the highway heading home early October 2016. please find out for me the details, and how to claim the inheritance. they don't have a lot of money, some bank account money and a house that belong to their late mom that has not been sold yet, in Town, new York, right outside of City2, new York, in City3, new York. please help me to do this. I have known this man, and was a good friend of his since 1985. my contact information is, mrs. Traditionally Asian Name, Address, Town, Southern State. I don't have a telephone number. and prefer email: [no identifying email, generic @]. thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. thanks. by the way, his spirit told me I can keep the money. although I prefer that he stay alive. please help me. thank you. "

I responded very professionally and politely.  Most of the places referred to in the email are outside my jurisdiction nor are we involved in estate work in any way.

Also, what is floor food?  Is that what happens after the five seconds expire?

I received the following response to my reply:

" I demand you pay me and my husband a hefty $500 million dollars for refusal of service. the reason is, it is really your job to hunt me down to find out about my poor friend Tim who died in an accident on your highway. the reason is, even you smirk thinking of refusal of service me, will get you somewhere. see you in court. consider yourself fired, by the state of new York, as soon as our lawsuit gets through to the courthouse. which is really soon. thank you. and shame on you, for hanging onto my dear friend who is diseased, his estate, which is none of your business. thank you."

I really wish I had the ability to track where these emails came from.

TracyXJ

« Reply #6973 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »

That's vile. Is there any way you can block all numbers except essential ones? If not, the phone companies should be working on it.

If its your cell phone, see if it has a do not disturb option.  Mine lets me set when the do not disturb starts and ends, on which days, and what numbers are still allowed to ring through.  I love it!

MagicEyes

« Reply #6974 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
I can't believe I never shared this one.

Background: I am a prosecutor.  I was required to be on call for 15 days every year.  Thankfully, I've now "aged out" of that requirement as you basically don't sleep much for 15 days.  One of your responsibilities it to deal with cold calls, cold emails, and walk ins.

The first days of my last ever on call stint began with a cold email.  Here is that email with certain information changed for privacy:

"dear district attorney, XXXXX county, of XXXXX new York,

I have found out just recently that a friend of mine I have know for a few decades now died. he got into a high speed crash on the highway and died. as a result, I want to contact the district attorney regarding claiming the estate both he and his sister got, for inheritance. the reason is, they are not married, have no children or living relatives even, and there were just the two brother and sister. his name is Tim, and her name is Melissa. they live in City, new york, and they got a small house in Town, new York too. left behind from a diseased mom a long time ago. still not sold yet. both of them are in their 60's, not yet retirement age. he was born 5/8/1951. his sister is younger. I believe they crashed the car having fallen asleep having eaten some floor food at a friend's party, on the highway heading home early October 2016. please find out for me the details, and how to claim the inheritance. they don't have a lot of money, some bank account money and a house that belong to their late mom that has not been sold yet, in Town, new York, right outside of City2, new York, in City3, new York. please help me to do this. I have known this man, and was a good friend of his since 1985. my contact information is, mrs. Traditionally Asian Name, Address, Town, Southern State. I don't have a telephone number. and prefer email: [no identifying email, generic @]. thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. thanks. by the way, his spirit told me I can keep the money. although I prefer that he stay alive. please help me. thank you. "

I responded very professionally and politely.  Most of the places referred to in the email are outside my jurisdiction nor are we involved in estate work in any way.

Also, what is floor food?  Is that what happens after the five seconds expire?

I received the following response to my reply:

" I demand you pay me and my husband a hefty $500 million dollars for refusal of service. the reason is, it is really your job to hunt me down to find out about my poor friend Tim who died in an accident on your highway. the reason is, even you smirk thinking of refusal of service me, will get you somewhere. see you in court. consider yourself fired, by the state of new York, as soon as our lawsuit gets through to the courthouse. which is really soon. thank you. and shame on you, for hanging onto my dear friend who is diseased, his estate, which is none of your business. thank you."

I really wish I had the ability to track where these emails came from.

This will make me think twice about eating floor food!  :P