News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 01:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2139280 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7051 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »
I had a little fun with a repeat scammer. They're from the "California Energy Initiative" or something with a similar name; they're calling to tell me about how I can save the environment and save on my utility bill. I haven't followed it to the end, but either they're representing some lender or a contractor who wants me to buy some services. Of course "this is not a sales call" despite the intention.

She (in a noticeable offshore accent, like all the others): "I'm calling from <program> to tell you how you can blah, blah, blah. How much is your electric bill with Southern California Edison?"
Me: "About $1.50"
She: "Is that your average monthly bill?"
Me: "Yes it is."
She: "That's a big amount. Now let me tell you ... "
Me (interrupting): "$1.50 is a big amount? I don't think you're paying attention. Bye!" *click*

Did you say "One dollar and 50 cents" or "One fifty?"  Because if it was the 2nd, I can understand them continuing.  They might have thought you meant one-hundred fifty. 

Either way, I doubt it mattered what your answer was or that they even heard your response.  They just continued on with their script.

"A dollar fifty." Which is what made the script so completely ridiculous.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #7052 on: September 18, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
This Not Always Right story had me internally screaming at the poster by the second line - "don't you read ehell you know this is gonna end badly good grief" - but the "friend" definitely has earned a spot in this thread.

https://notalwaysright.com/cannot-accommodate-personality/92795/

Same here. I was going through all the mantras from here: "No is a complete sentence." "I cannot accommodate that request." "SHINY SPINE!"
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

o_gal

« Reply #7053 on: September 18, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
This Not Always Right story had me internally screaming at the poster by the second line - "don't you read ehell you know this is gonna end badly good grief" - but the "friend" definitely has earned a spot in this thread.

https://notalwaysright.com/cannot-accommodate-personality/92795/

Same here. I was going through all the mantras from here: "No is a complete sentence." "I cannot accommodate that request." "SHINY SPINE!"

The comment by Sal is priceless:

At your friend's behest to be your guest
You allowed her to your place.
Yet with great zest she became a pest
And wiped her feet in your face.

While a friend in need is a friend indeed
And they're good to keep in reach,
This "friend" in need just wanted free feed
So good riddance to the leech.

rigs32

« Reply #7054 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
This is a moocher-lite post, but it came to mind reading another post today.

SO's cousin decided to get married on NYE.  About 2 months prior to NYE.  When we already had plans.  We altered the plans slightly so we could attend the ceremony and a few hours of the reception.  To our surprise, the family was intending to have my SO DJ the event along with another cousin.  No one told us this.  Apparently the other cousin just assumed SO would be fine with this and was quite put out when we made it clear we were leaving at a specific time.

To our shock, the same thing happened when another sibling in the same family got married the following year.  Assumptions SO would DJ with his cousin but no one clued him in.  Wouldn't you assume after the first debacle that the bride's parents (same people for both weddings) would have spoken to him directly? 

gingerzing

« Reply #7055 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
New favorite. 
Got a Facebook notice via my work email. Something about them noticing that I had been having trouble signing into Facebook.  And click the button below to get logged in. 

Nifty.  However two minor points. 
First - I hadn't been having any trouble with Facebook.  At all.  From any of my devices.
Second - My Facebook account isn't connected through my work email. It is through one of my personal emails. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #7056 on: September 20, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
BeagleDaddy has a client who tries to get everything for free.

She regularly downloads viruses by accident or decides her computer isn't working fast enough and has her son's friend's brother look at it since he's "good with computers" and then calls BeagleDaddy when it is so messed up no one else can help.

His rates are $50.00 for the first hour regardless of how long he's at your place and $20 per hour after that.  She has repeatedly asked if he's at her house and fixes the computer in 15 minutes shouldn't she only pay $12.50?  Sorry, nope.

Last time he told her that she needed a part (I forget what).  She insisted on buying the part herself off the internet.  Okay, fine.  He gave her the specs for the part and told her it should cost about $40 and to call him when the part arrived and he would install it.  She calls.  He goes over to find out she ordered the wrong part because "this one was cheaper".  It was only $18.  Yeah, and it wouldn't work in her computer.  She got upset that he wouldn't "just try" to install it.

This is when he usually tells her to try one of the repair places associated with chain stores.  That brings her back to reality since she knows what they charge and BeagleDaddy charges less and works faster.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7057 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
BeagleDaddy has a client who tries to get everything for free.

She regularly downloads viruses by accident or decides her computer isn't working fast enough and has her son's friend's brother look at it since he's "good with computers" and then calls BeagleDaddy when it is so messed up no one else can help.

His rates are $50.00 for the first hour regardless of how long he's at your place and $20 per hour after that.  She has repeatedly asked if he's at her house and fixes the computer in 15 minutes shouldn't she only pay $12.50?  Sorry, nope.

Last time he told her that she needed a part (I forget what).  She insisted on buying the part herself off the internet.  Okay, fine.  He gave her the specs for the part and told her it should cost about $40 and to call him when the part arrived and he would install it.  She calls.  He goes over to find out she ordered the wrong part because "this one was cheaper".  It was only $18.  Yeah, and it wouldn't work in her computer.  She got upset that he wouldn't "just try" to install it.

This is when he usually tells her to try one of the repair places associated with chain stores.  That brings her back to reality since she knows what they charge and BeagleDaddy charges less and works faster.

I know this person by many other names...  occasionally one of my clients has to fire one of their customers over this type of annoying behavior.  Maybe it is time for BeagleDaddy to say "that will not be possible" at her next phone call for service.  It's just not worth the "cost benefit versus cheap aggravating factor" for some customers, just not. 

I have been 2nd car shopping on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, I am looking for a beater, not expecting to get a Mercedes for a Ford price.  I have contacted three possible sellers for what seemed like reasonable prices - all darn three have turned out to be scammers.  You know the kind, want to ship you a car through Ebay motors and you have xx number of days to inspect the car and get your money back if there are any problems.  Yeah, right.

Two were the "I am shipping out overseas in the military and don't want to pay storage" but I got a new one (new to me), "my son recently died and I just can't stand to pay his storage costs any longer and I don't want that reminder sitting in my driveway".  All three claim to have the car stored in Omaha, NE - like that's not a bizarre coincidence.  I am getting a little frustrated.

I am getting better at spotting them though - if the price is too low or if the pictures are too professional looking and/or if the photos look completely out of place (lots of trees in our desert or better yet on the beach...).

JoW

« Reply #7058 on: September 20, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
I have been 2nd car shopping on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, I am looking for a beater, not expecting to get a Mercedes for a Ford price.  ......
Be extremely careful buying a used car in the US right now.  Thousands of cars were flooded by hurricanes Harvey and Irene.  Its easy to make one of those cars look good but impossible to find and fix all the hidden spots where there is water damage.  Cars that sat in water for days should be sold for scrap.  The scammers are making those cars look good and selling them to unwary buyers. 

This according to tv and news paper reports over the last couple of weeks. 

crs1881

« Reply #7059 on: September 21, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »
Heck, they've been issuing the same warnings up here in Canada.

Be extremely careful buying a used car in the US right now.  Thousands of cars were flooded by hurricanes Harvey and Irene.  Its easy to make one of those cars look good but impossible to find and fix all the hidden spots where there is water damage.  Cars that sat in water for days should be sold for scrap.  The scammers are making those cars look good and selling them to unwary buyers. 

This according to tv and news paper reports over the last couple of weeks.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7060 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
I am in Texas, although I am several hundred miles from the coast, so yes well aware of flood damaged cars heading my way.   

We had a hail storm in my area in the spring and I am hoping to find one of those winners.  I literally just want a car to sit in the parking lot for us to use when one of ours is in the shop.  Start it once a week and drive it around the block a few times to keep it running sufficiently.

It is amazing to me the number of scammers on Craigslist, for the amount of time they spend on screwing over others they could have real jobs.  They are getting better at refining their original ads though...closer to accurate pricing and other details but then, wham, I get the email about the method of payment and I know it's a scam.  Very frustrating.     

vintagegal

« Reply #7061 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
I have gotten the "I'll send you a big check and you send me back the difference" CL scam when selling items as low as $15. They are casting a wide net.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7062 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
The Federal Government has awarded DS a grant! For $5000! They have called him 5 times in two days.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LadyBe205

« Reply #7063 on: September 22, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
I have something posted for sale on Craigslist.   I've received 3 replies with this new scam.   I've already deleted the emails so I'll repost it from memory.  It went something list this:

My boss wants to buy your item (email doesn't say the name of the thing I'm selling).  We have a check for the moneys (email doesn't say the amount of the item for sale) ready to go.  Please text my boss and so you can meet.   (123) 456-7890.

All the emails I received said exactly the same thing but had a different phone number.   

Kiwipinball

« Reply #7064 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
The Federal Government has awarded DS a grant! For $5000! They have called him 5 times in two days.

I forgot for a second what thread I clicked on and was happy for your son (thinking he'd applied for some sort of grant). Oh well.