A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (142/683) > >>

Girlie:
I am SOOOO excited! Now it's MY turn to be rich!
I got an email this morning from a guy with a very official title out of Australia trying to help his poor (erm...rich) friend in Nigeria transfer some money.

'Cause I'm sure if there was some "Nigerian Prince" scam, I'd have heard about it by now, right?  >:D

blue2000:

--- Quote from: Girlie on March 29, 2013, 09:08:02 AM ---I am SOOOO excited! Now it's MY turn to be rich!
I got an email this morning from a guy with a very official title out of Australia trying to help his poor (erm...rich) friend in Nigeria transfer some money.

'Cause I'm sure if there was some "Nigerian Prince" scam, I'd have heard about it by now, right?  >:D

--- End quote ---

You know, if there are any Nigerian princes or officials that actually need help, they are going to have a heck of a time convincing people...

"Hey, it's me! Gerry! I need to borrow the keys to your private plane! Leave them under the box by the hedge, so no one can see me. I have to get out of the country FAST. I'll totally pay you back when I get out!"

"Oh, come on. This scam is such old news. I'm not giving you a plane."

"Buddy, it's ME. GERRY. You know me!"

"Look. Dude. I don't know who you are, but I'm not falling for this." <click>

(next day)

"Foreign Affairs Minister Gerald Mgumbo Executed By Rebel Troops. Well , what do you know. It WAS Gerry. Oops."

LazyDaisy:
I think the scammers are on to us. They know we know about the "Nigerians" so now they have to choose other countries to be from. My coworker just got the typical "Nigerian" scam email but this poor gentleman says he's from Togo. After all, we know that Nigerians can't be trusted, but the Togolese are fine right?  ::)

Miss Tickle:
The call display showed a strange "number" last night (station 111).  Lucky for us DH answered, because it was Microsoft calling to let us know our windows computer was infected! Since DH doesn't "do" computers he handed me the phone with such a serious expression I was worried something had happened to someone. I had to show him this thread (in between bouts of gleeful laughing - it's my first scam call!) before he calmed down. I admit I wasn't polite to the scammers. I started laughing so hard I couldn't get a word out, so I just hung up.

Oh, and the Nigerian Princes have gone democratic and are now faxing us from the President's office in Ghana.

Figgie:
My Dad died in September and the house (which we live next door to) was placed on the market on March 15th.  The house is not certified for rental and couldn't be certified because of the limit to the number of rental units allowed per block in my small town.

So, I've noticed people stopping by the house and walking around the outside of it, but haven't paid much attention since there is a for sale sign in the front yard.  I just assumed they were people who wanted to look at the outside before meeting with a realtor to see the inside.

Yesterday afternoon, a young woman and her daughter knocked on the door and asked us if the house next door was for rent.  I told her that it most definitely was not for rent and in fact couldn't be rented. 

Turns out that someone had posted it on Craigslist as a rental that accepted cats and dogs was available immediately and linked to the picture of the house on the realtor's website.  We told her that it was a scam and she was very, very grateful that she hadn't sent off a money order to pay a damage deposit and first months rent.

I reported the listing to Craigslist, it was removed and has since popped back up two more times with a different email address.  Both of the new listings have been removed as of a couple of hours ago.

I feel so sorry for the young couples who get taken in by this kind of scam and am grateful that they knocked on the door and asked us about the house.  My spouse made up a large sign and put it on the front porch screen, facing the street that states that the house is not for rent.  Hopefully, that will help prevent anyone from getting scammed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version