News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 01:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2207814 times)

carol1412

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7110 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
Thanks, but it still was random and out of the blue. I wasn't having any trouble with fb. Besides, it was using my work email rather than the personal one that's tied to the fb account.

Luci

« Reply #7111 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
Thanks, but it still was random and out of the blue. I wasn't having any trouble with fb. Besides, it was using my work email rather than the personal one that's tied to the fb account.

Is Facebook doing another revamp of some sort? My news posts (received) seem to get dropped every day.

lilfox

« Reply #7112 on: October 18, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »

Is Facebook doing another revamp of some sort? My news posts (received) seem to get dropped every day.

I'm having that issue too and every time I go to the top of the screen to see newest posts, it changes up the order again.  Must be a bug in the prioritizing algorithms.

pattycake

« Reply #7113 on: October 18, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

I'm having that issue too and every time I go to the top of the screen to see newest posts, it changes up the order again.  Must be a bug in the prioritizing algorithms.

Okay, I am glad you mentioned this because I thought I was going crazy or something! I'd refresh, and posts were gone that I swear I had seen and one I wanted to go back to and couldn't find it.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7114 on: October 18, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
It's coming to the end of the 2017 charitable deduction season. What does this mean for me?

It means that our desk phones are ringing off the hook from every possible phone charity solicitor. They never want to leave a message.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Twik

« Reply #7115 on: October 18, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
Apparently a scammer recently tried to defraud Sir Richard Branson by calling him up and claiming to be the British Defense Secretary. He claimed that someone had been kidnapped who was very important, and since the British government's policy was to not pay ransoms, they needed someone wealthy to provide the ransom, although Branson would be reimbursed for the costs later on. Branson showed why he's a billionaire by taking the precaution of calling the British government and talking to the Minister directly, who assured him that no such arrangements were being made.

Unfortunately, the scammer then went after one of Branson's friends and successfully conned him out of two million pounds supposedly for hurricane relief. There's a place for people who rip off charitable donations, and it's not a cool one.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

nutraxfornerves

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MrTango

« Reply #7117 on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
I've been getting calls lately from "PC Support," which I assume is a variant on the Microsoft scam.

Unfortunately for me, the calls always seem to come in at a time when I'm busy, so I haven't had the opportunity to mess with them.

snowfire

« Reply #7118 on: November 09, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
We have been getting those as well. Most seem to be the "Your Microsoft license has expired & you must pay us or your computer will stop working."

MrTango

« Reply #7119 on: November 10, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
I finally managed to record a call from a local remodeling/repair company that has been harassing me since June about a free storm damage assessment.

They weren't even smart enough to spoof their caller ID number, and the caller was only too happy to confirm the company's legal name, phone number, and address before she realized that I was recording the call.

I forwarded to the FTC a copy of the recording along with all the info I was able to find on the business via a Google search and a search of my state's Secretary of State website.  I even pulled copies of my last few months' phone bills and highlighted all the lines showing their phone number calling me.

I'm sure the FTC gets thousands of complaints every day but I doubt they get many with that much information...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7120 on: November 10, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
Send it all to your local news, too. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #7121 on: November 10, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
I really don’t think a call from a man with a heavy Indian accent, who says his name is something like ‘Kevin’, with loud call centre background noise and a company supposedly called “Solar Panel Company”, is legit.  ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #7122 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »
Send it all to your local news, too. :-)

Good diea, but everyone already knows this company is sleazy.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #7123 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:26 PM »
I've been getting these emails purporting to be from Google Mail regarding "damaged emails" or "full mailbox".

I don't use Google Mail, and I'm pretty sure that, even if I did, Google would not have to go through Cuba.

MissRose

« Reply #7124 on: November 13, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »
I've been getting calls lately from "PC Support," which I assume is a variant on the Microsoft scam.

Unfortunately for me, the calls always seem to come in at a time when I'm busy, so I haven't had the opportunity to mess with them.

I still regret not messing with "Daniel" who called about my parents' computer when I answered their phone when they were outside & couldn't pick up the phone when I was visiting a few months ago!  He would have not gotten far with my parents as the computer is there more as a backup for me or do stuff when I am there.