News:

• February 18, 2018, 12:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2395613 times)

Friday

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7125 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »
Public Service Announcement!

If you have a number show up on your caller ID that you do not recognize, do not call it back.  There are two major reasons for this:

1. Scammers love to spoof numbers; you might not be calling the person back who actually called you (and thus annoy them to no end)
2. If it is NOT a spoofed number, and you call back the telemarketer/scammer/whomever, you have now verified that the number is a real phone number. 

I work in information security.  These are real, effective, tips.

lilfox

« Reply #7126 on: November 15, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »
We got kind of a boring one on voicemail this morning.  "Roger," a robotic voice from Generic Something called to remind "you" [whoever was listening, as no name was used] that you entered some kind of drawing recently "probably at a local mall or restaurant" and good news! Your entry was selected and is worth up to $25,000.  All you have to do is call "Roger" back at this toll free number, at extension whatever.

Seriously, put some effort into it!

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #7127 on: November 15, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
Public Service Announcement!

If you have a number show up on your caller ID that you do not recognize, do not call it back.  There are two major reasons for this:

1. Scammers love to spoof numbers; you might not be calling the person back who actually called you (and thus annoy them to no end)
2. If it is NOT a spoofed number, and you call back the telemarketer/scammer/whomever, you have now verified that the number is a real phone number. 

I work in information security.  These are real, effective, tips.
I had a woman call me and insist that I had called her.  When I tried to explain that it was probably a spoofed phone number, she wouldn't believe me.  I eventually had to hang up on her and block her number because she kept calling back to argue.  I can confirm annoying.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #7128 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
I’m getting a lot of email spam about ‘investing’ in Bitcoin, from an assortment of ‘professors’... in German.  ???
"Set aphasia to stun!"

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7129 on: November 15, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »
I am currently traveling. For some reason, my ISP’s spam filter is not working well where I am now. I am getting a lot of messages from ladies looking for gentlemen for specific activities.

However, the “From” names are all male. Daniel, Eric, Justin, Michael. Even lonely Mateo whose husband is old and impotent, and is a 40DD who wants to share photos. The ones that I looked at all appear to have the same source so some spamhaus is using male names in their messages.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Browyn

« Reply #7130 on: November 17, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
I am currently traveling. For some reason, my ISP’s spam filter is not working well where I am now. I am getting a lot of messages from ladies looking for gentlemen for specific activities.

However, the “From” names are all male. Daniel, Eric, Justin, Michael. Even lonely Mateo whose husband is old and impotent, and is a 40DD who wants to share photos. The ones that I looked at all appear to have the same source so some spamhaus is using male names in their messages.

Probably so the men who respond won't worry that their email history will get them in trouble with their wives.  Would a snooping wife be as likely to open an email from a Michael vs a Michelle?

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7131 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Just got a new one! This was a robo-call from "Apple Support" telling me that there was some suspicious activity on my iCloud account. Then I was to "press 1" for help or I could "call back on their toll-free number 1-760-xxx-xxxx". The 760 area code is *not* toll-free -- it's for the southeastern corner of California -- there's a lot of nothing out there.

Edit: Apparently 760 covers part of the coast in the San Diego area so it's not just the middle of nowhere. Still not toll-free, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:35:06 PM by artk2002 »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7132 on: November 17, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
DH got a fishing email that purports to be from an online merchant. It had pictures of each item, descriptions, item numbers, and prices. The only link was a "click here" to track your package.  :o

Too bad he hadn't ordered cute petite lacy pajama bottoms, baby and toddler clothes, or lingerie. I told him he would have looked adorable in them.  >:D
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #7133 on: November 19, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »
DH got a fishing email that purports to be from an online merchant. It had pictures of each item, descriptions, item numbers, and prices. The only link was a "click here" to track your package.  :o

Too bad he hadn't ordered cute petite lacy pajama bottoms, baby and toddler clothes, or lingerie. I told him he would have looked adorable in them.  >:D
Now I have mental images of LadyBeard (you'll probably have to google image search that, beefy bearded Australian wrestler/heavy metal singer who models cute girly outfits and works in Japan).
<3

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #7134 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »
I'm getting frustrated by a company that really wants me to attend one of their training seminars.  I was getting so many emails that I added them to the junk email list so I wouldn't have to see them. all the emails come from "Lisa Davis"  but the actual email is different on each, so that even though I have added over and over, I still get at least one email from this company daily.

and then I got a "Lisa Davis" email that I tried to add to the junk list without even looking at it and Outlook wouldn't let me because this was a real human being who is part of my organization. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

bopper

« Reply #7135 on: November 20, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Twice recently I've hit charity callers who have refused to accept "I'm really busy right now, can you call again?" (translation: I just engaged the boss, and if I don't start mashing buttons I'm dead). They keep insisting that they'll only take 10 seconds, which one knows is a lie, because even if you can convince them to skip their spiel about why their charity is the best thing ever, it would take more time than that should you be persuaded to donate.

Hang up anyway...Think of it this way...you are not going to donate right now and it lets them move on to the next person quicker.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #7136 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
I'm getting frustrated by a company that really wants me to attend one of their training seminars.  I was getting so many emails that I added them to the junk email list so I wouldn't have to see them. all the emails come from "Lisa Davis"  but the actual email is different on each, so that even though I have added over and over, I still get at least one email from this company daily.

and then I got a "Lisa Davis" email that I tried to add to the junk list without even looking at it and Outlook wouldn't let me because this was a real human being who is part of my organization. 

You should be able to block the domain rather than the "person" who's emailing.  So what ever is after the @ symbol can be marked as spam. 

mmswm

« Reply #7137 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
Scammers responding to my "found bird".  My ad states that she/he is an amazon, but not what specific species of amazon. There are at least 30 different amazon species, so "amazon" is generic enough.  I keep getting emails saying "Oh, that's my bird, when can I come get him?".  When I respond asking for what specific species of amazon and some unique identifying factors, I get stuff like "oh, well, he's green, with a little red and some yellow."  Well, except for some rare, recessive mutations (blue factor yellow nape is the only one I can think of), that describes every amazon parrot ever.  A real owner would be able to tell me things about the bird.  If Goofy, my YNA was lost, I'd be able to say "He's a yellow nape, he says Sarah, Hello, Hi Goofy Hiiiiii, come here, and what's up all the time, and some other words less frequently, and also mimics certain adult movies when he's lonely and thinks we're not paying enough attention to him." (We aren't his first humans...he learned that before my SO got him in 1998 and he's been unsuccessful in breaking the habit).  I'd also be able to talk about favorite foods and other personality quirks since there's no real distinguishing physical features I could describe. These people aren't even trying.  They're just wanting to score a free exotic bird in hopes of selling him for $800-$1000 (which is what the smaller amazons go for around here...the larger amazons go for even more).
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7138 on: November 20, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »
Twice today I've gotten calls from numbers that AT&T Protect flagged as telemarketers. Both times, I answered "Hi, you're on the air!" and got about 30 seconds of silence in return, before they hung up.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

crella

« Reply #7139 on: November 20, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »

Now I have mental images of LadyBeard (you'll probably have to google image search that, beefy bearded Australian wrestler/heavy metal singer who models cute girly outfits and works in Japan).

My eyes!  ;D ;D ;D ;D