News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 03:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2253735 times)

pattycake

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7140 on: November 20, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
Twice today I've gotten calls from numbers that AT&T Protect flagged as telemarketers. Both times, I answered "Hi, you're on the air!" and got about 30 seconds of silence in return, before they hung up.

Brilliant!

LadyBe205

« Reply #7141 on: November 20, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
Twice today I've gotten calls from numbers that AT&T Protect flagged as telemarketers. Both times, I answered "Hi, you're on the air!" and got about 30 seconds of silence in return, before they hung up.

Brilliant!

For some strange reason my finger slips and holds down the * button on my landline phone when telemarketers call.   >:D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:43:55 PM by LadyBe205 »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #7142 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
DH got a fishing email that purports to be from an online merchant. It had pictures of each item, descriptions, item numbers, and prices. The only link was a "click here" to track your package.  :o

Too bad he hadn't ordered cute petite lacy pajama bottoms, baby and toddler clothes, or lingerie. I told him he would have looked adorable in them.  >:D
Now I have mental images of LadyBeard (you'll probably have to google image search that, beefy bearded Australian wrestler/heavy metal singer who models cute girly outfits and works in Japan).

My eyes!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
You're welcome!  ;D
<3

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #7143 on: November 21, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
I'm getting frustrated by a company that really wants me to attend one of their training seminars.  I was getting so many emails that I added them to the junk email list so I wouldn't have to see them. all the emails come from "Lisa Davis"  but the actual email is different on each, so that even though I have added over and over, I still get at least one email from this company daily.

and then I got a "Lisa Davis" email that I tried to add to the junk list without even looking at it and Outlook wouldn't let me because this was a real human being who is part of my organization. 

You should be able to block the domain rather than the "person" who's emailing.  So what ever is after the @ symbol can be marked as spam.

Thank you! 

I didn't know this was possible, so I hadn't done it. I went into my settings today and found where I could do this. I'll have to see tomorrow if I get any more "Lisa Davis" emails. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Sirius

« Reply #7144 on: December 01, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Today I got a "Is this Sirius?  This is Sergeant Scammy McScammerson calling from the Local County sheriff's department, and you missed a court date on November 20."  All they got from me was an earful about how they were a scammer and we both knew it, until I realized I was talking to dead air.  So I called the non-emergency number for the local county sheriff's department, and the person to whom I spoke told me she'd been getting calls about this scam.  She asked me if I gave them any kind of information, and I told her that the only thing they got from me was my name and an earful about how they were trying to scam me and I wasn't falling for it.  She told me a real police officer would call me to ask me some more questions, and to expect a call labeled "private number".  This happened, and the officer I spoke to verified the name and number of the person who had called.  He also said he was glad I hadn't fallen for it.  Since I'd read about the scam here, I knew not to fall for it.  Thanks, E-Hell. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7145 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Just got a new one! This was a robo-call from "Apple Support" telling me that there was some suspicious activity on my iCloud account. Then I was to "press 1" for help or I could "call back on their toll-free number 1-760-xxx-xxxx". The 760 area code is *not* toll-free -- it's for the southeastern corner of California -- there's a lot of nothing out there.

Edit: Apparently 760 covers part of the coast in the San Diego area so it's not just the middle of nowhere. Still not toll-free, though.

This is going to drive me absolutely nuts. We got 4 of those yesterday and I've had three this morning before 11:30AM. When you add the one contractor/telemarketer and the two dead lines, this isn't shaping up to be a good day. There has been one legitimate call today -- from the doctor's office confirming an appointment.

Edit: One more contractor whose feelings were "hurt" by my wife -- who simply reminder the caller that we had asked the "Home Center" to never, ever, call us again. One more legitimate call.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:50:21 PM by artk2002 »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7146 on: December 07, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
I got a new one today from 800-483-8314 that is a inmate calling scam! They call you and the robo thing tells you that an inmate is trying to call you collect but your phone will not accept collect calls. They want you to go to a Western Union and add money to the inmate's account so they can call you without calling collect.  ??? ??? ??? Yeah, no one I know is in jail and a quick google search verified this is a total scam. Number blocked.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7147 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
I don't remember what the service was that someone mentioned WAY upthread on here that helps stop robo-callers, but THANK YOU! I live in Alabama and the closer we get to our special election next week, the more robocalls I get. I'm up to probably two dozen a day now. Thanks to whatever service that was, I don't have to deal with any of them.

Anyone remember what it was called? I'd like to recommend it to friends but I don't have a clue what it was, other than it was free.

Luci

« Reply #7148 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
I don't remember what the service was that someone mentioned WAY upthread on here that helps stop robo-callers, but THANK YOU! I live in Alabama and the closer we get to our special election next week, the more robocalls I get. I'm up to probably two dozen a day now. Thanks to whatever service that was, I don't have to deal with any of them.

Anyone remember what it was called? I'd like to recommend it to friends but I don't have a clue what it was, other than it was free.

Nomorobo?

gramma dishes

« Reply #7149 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »

As to automated calls, I just signed up with "nomorobo.com". It flags known auto-dialer numbers and these will not ring to the house. And it's free!

Nomorobo doesn't just block everything from an autodialer.  Instead, it uses a blacklist of illegal robocallers to determine which calls to block, so schools, doctors and banks get through fine because they aren't on the blacklist.  It's been great for me!

This?

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7150 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
YES! Y'all are awesome :-D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7151 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »

As to automated calls, I just signed up with "nomorobo.com". It flags known auto-dialer numbers and these will not ring to the house. And it's free!

Nomorobo doesn't just block everything from an autodialer.  Instead, it uses a blacklist of illegal robocallers to determine which calls to block, so schools, doctors and banks get through fine because they aren't on the blacklist.  It's been great for me!

This?

I just signed up for their beta for Android. Thanks!

My pet-peeve right now is some company out of Miami has found out I'm female, middle-aged, and has decided I need their help in making medical appointments and decisions. No. I did not sign up for any of this.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Margo

« Reply #7152 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

My favourite ever scam / cold call was one which came through once when I was in court. We were waiting for the court office to call up with a date for a further hearing, which needed to be fixed taking into account the availailitiy of both lawyers nad their clients, so when the phone rang the Judge put it on speaker, and answered.

Except it wasn't and internal call from the Court Office, it was an external sales call, probably double glazing, or solar panels.

And the caller *Would Not* depart from his script..

So i went something like:

Caller: Hello, am I spekaing to the home owner?
Judge: No, this isn't a home, it's a court. I think you have a wrong number
C: No, it's the correct number. Are you the owner of the property?
J: No, I'm one ofthe Judges here. The building belongs to the Court Service
C: Are you able to make decisions about the property?
J; No, that would be the Lord Chancellor's department
C Is he there?
J; No, he's generally to be found in the House of Lords
C; Can you put me though to him?

and so on.
For about 10 minutes.

the other lawyer and I were both trying desperately not to laugh out loud, the Judge remained totally straight faced through out

He was one my favourite Judges.

Virg

« Reply #7153 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
Tierrainney wrote:

"and then I got a "Lisa Davis" email that I tried to add to the junk list without even looking at it and Outlook wouldn't let me because this was a real human being who is part of my organization."

You can also set up a rule that says that any email from "Lisa Davis" that doesn't originate from the address of your coworker gets dumped in the junk too.

Virg

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7154 on: December 11, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
From: Alexander B. [whose email address is spoofed to be from a legitimate freight forwarding company in Kenya]
Subject: [SPAM] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] [SPAM] Even the dumbest people are earning with this
To: [Nutrax]

The way of earnings burning up the Internet
TOP 1 in ease and simplicity of dollars withdrawal
Check for yourself,
click and earn [link to very dubious Make Money Fast scheme. The faint fine print on the web page says "The typical purchaser does not make any money using this system."]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data