News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 06:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2332545 times)

Sirius

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7155 on: December 11, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »

As to automated calls, I just signed up with "nomorobo.com". It flags known auto-dialer numbers and these will not ring to the house. And it's free!

Nomorobo doesn't just block everything from an autodialer.  Instead, it uses a blacklist of illegal robocallers to determine which calls to block, so schools, doctors and banks get through fine because they aren't on the blacklist.  It's been great for me!

This?

I just signed up for their beta for Android. Thanks!

My pet-peeve right now is some company out of Miami has found out I'm female, middle-aged, and has decided I need their help in making medical appointments and decisions. No. I did not sign up for any of this.

I read about something similar happening in Las Vegas.  These people would get a power of attorney, then take their "clients" for everything they had, including selling their houses.  The clients would then be put into a nursing or other type of home for people who needed to be watched, and they'd lose their rights. 

Here's the article I read:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

Tell them to take a hike.

LadyBe205

« Reply #7156 on: December 11, 2017, 11:03:41 PM »
That article is horrifying.   >:( :( :'(

Sirius

« Reply #7157 on: December 11, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »
Don't mean to scare anyone, but since what LadyKnight1 said sounded like what I read in that article, I wanted to alert everyone.  It sounds like something that could happen way too easily. 

Sirius

« Reply #7158 on: December 11, 2017, 11:37:03 PM »
Also found that nomorobo.com doesn't work in Oregon.  Mr. Sirius and I went round and round on our carrier's website until I found that posted on the nomorobo help page.  So, I should just keep doing what I'm doing, which is ignore numbers that I don't recognize and periodically check for voicemails. 

L

« Reply #7159 on: December 12, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
Thank you so much for linking that article. It is indeed horrifying, and I have passed it along to others who need to see it.

sandisadie

« Reply #7160 on: December 12, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
Just had a strange phone call.  The read out on my phone was the name of my doctor's office which is a clinic of many doctors, etc.  So, of course I answered.  Instead of my provider's office a perky woman's voice informed me of her name and the fact that she wanted to inform me of an offer to purchase something to do with a trip or cruise.  I immediately hung up.  I called my provider and informed them that their number was being spoofed.  They thanked me for the info and said they would pass it on to the proper person to be looked into.  What a world!!

gramma dishes

« Reply #7161 on: December 12, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
We've had phone calls come in with our own phone number showing up on Caller ID.  It's happened a few times and it's quite startling when it does.

Miss March

« Reply #7162 on: December 12, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »

Alas, it requires a subscription to read it.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

LadyBe205

« Reply #7163 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »

I read it with no problem and I don't have a subscription. 

TabathasGran

« Reply #7164 on: December 12, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »

I read it with no problem and I don't have a subscription.

Me too. It was terrifying. I had no idea this was going on.

Just found this follow up relating to the North's specifically. It's little help for the time they were essentially kidnapped, but maybe it will dissuade other criminals.
https://aaapg.net/nevada-family-awarded-8-5-million-in-guardianship-abuse-case/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:51:58 PM by TabathasGran »

L

« Reply #7165 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
And the judge who went along with this crime essentially goes free?

malfoyfan13

« Reply #7166 on: December 13, 2017, 12:32:23 AM »
That article scared the crap out of me.  I've heard of this before - the L.A. Times ran a story some time ago about a woman who did this and was eventually tried and sent to jail.  I don't get why it's allowed to go on. 

Miss March

« Reply #7167 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
I'm sorry about that confusion- maybe I got a pop up yesterday that I thought was blocking the article? Glad it is working for everyone!
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

BeagleMommy

« Reply #7168 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
Story on our local news about a couple who got the "there's a warrant out for your arrest and you need to pay this money or the sheriff will come and arrest you" phone call.  The reporter started out with "Mr. X didn't send them any money..." and I'm thinking "great, they didn't fall for it", but then the reporter continues with "but he did fax them a copy of his driver's license".

:o :o :o :o :o :o

So the scammers now have his name and address and photo.

TracyXJ

« Reply #7169 on: December 18, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
I've been getting multiple calls from a Dallas, Texas number over the weekend.  They leave a voicemail, but all it says is the phone number twice and is obviously a recording.

Reverse look up on Google tells me that it's one of those IRS scams - Send money or the cops will come for you.  Strangely, they only tried it for 2 days and then stopped.  Apparently going to voicemail repeatedly made them think the number was inactive or something.