News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 08:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2581110 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7185 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
US residents  May be eligible for a refund if they paid a s ammer by Western Union

“If you lost money to a scammer who had you pay using Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, you can now file a claim to get your money back. ”

There are conditions, and the amount of money refunded will depend on how many claims are received.

I can see the scammers now, happily sending out emails telling you that the scammer will help you apply for your refund—for a fee, of course.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Miss March

« Reply #7186 on: January 11, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
I got a voice mail from Optum RX saying that my prescription had been approved and I should call them to verify shipping. It sounded super legit- be warned.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Scams-Fraud/Phone-Scam-OptumRX/td-p/1575579
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Nuku

« Reply #7187 on: January 11, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
I was just watching a UK documentary on scammers, I can't believe anyone over the age of 12 doesn't realize the "shell game" or 3 card monte is a scam.

I can kind of understand that, unless you've heard of it, you think it *should* be possible to track the pea. There seems to be a difficulty in some people's minds in considering that the guy on the other side of the table really won't play by the rules.

Wait, isn't it in the guy's hand?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7188 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:26 PM »
I was just watching a UK documentary on scammers, I can't believe anyone over the age of 12 doesn't realize the "shell game" or 3 card monte is a scam.

I participate in a living history event that includes someone running a shell game. Most of the time it's little kids, whose parents get a kick put of watching, but there are occasional adults who are sure they can beat the dealer if they try hard enough. Even in the obvious context that we are running a shady operation. (No real money changes hands; we "loan" the participants poker chips to play with.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #7189 on: January 11, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
Now getting emails about blasphemy to my state government email account.
excuse me if repeat @
... of this Work of Reparation depends the salvation of xxxxx
Divine Mercy in my soul. Diary of St. Faustina Kowalska.
The Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and a few promises.

In the year 1251, in the town of Aylesford in England, Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock, a Carmelite. She handed him a brown woolen scapular and said, This shall be a privilege for you and all Carmelites, that anyone dying in this habit shall not suffer eternal fire. In time, the Church extended this magnificent privilege to all the laity who are willing to be invested in the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and who perpetually wear it.

The Sabbatine Privilege
This promise is found in a Bull of Pope John XXII. The Blessed Virgin appeared to him and, speaking of those who wear the Brown Scapular, said, I, the Mother of Grace, shall descend on the Saturday after their death and whomsoever I shall find in purgatory I shall free so that I may lead them to the holy mountain of life everlasting.      Ordo Carmelitarum Discalceatorum.  Order of  Discalced Carmelites

There is about four pages more, and links are inserted into the text randomly.
Bayesian poisoning in action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_poisoning
<3

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7190 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:28 AM »
So, MIL offered nicely to pay for a holiday for us through this travel club she’s in. All we would have to do was a survey about it. So DH got her on the phone to try and book it tonight...and it looks like it was all a scam. She got it from a cold who gave her the website and the login details which, I kid you not, is “Member456”.

So, no beach holiday for us. :(

Team HoundMom

« Reply #7191 on: January 12, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_poisoning

I wondered what that was called, thank you.  It's extra funny when they put that part in white font so it doesn't show up in the message.

sandisadie

« Reply #7192 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
I just got a new kind of call (scam).  My readout on the phone said "Chase", which I do have credit cards with.  So I answered.  A recorded voice told me that this was my final chance to have my credit card interest rate lowered.  They have been trying to reach me several times, so, my last chance and I should press "one".  Uuh - NO.  I imagine that if I did press "one" someone would ask me for my credit card number and other "identifying" information.

gramma dishes

« Reply #7193 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
I just got a new kind of call (scam).  My readout on the phone said "Chase", which I do have credit cards with.  So I answered.  A recorded voice told me that this was my final chance to have my credit card interest rate lowered.  They have been trying to reach me several times, so, my last chance and I should press "one".  Uuh - NO.  I imagine that if I did press "one" someone would ask me for my credit card number and other "identifying" information.

Since you actually do have credit card(s) with Chase, I'd call them using a number you already have in your own records and let them know what's going on.  Then they have the opportunity to warn their other customers.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #7194 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #7195 on: January 13, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »

I can kind of understand that, unless you've heard of it, you think it *should* be possible to track the pea. There seems to be a difficulty in some people's minds in considering that the guy on the other side of the table really won't play by the rules.

Wait, isn't it in the guy's hand?

Yes it is - but if you've never heard of it, you aren't going to know he's got it between his fingers it in between showing it to you under shells - a well-done shell game certainly looks like it's under a shell

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #7196 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
Just last week on the news here in SW Michigan (Detroit) was a story about a woman who got scammed, the classic Pigeon Drop  She was approached by a woman in a parking lot who showed her an envelope full of money that she had just found in the parking lot.  The woman asked her if she would like to split the 'found' money with her.  They also called over a third woman who happened to be walking by to join in.

The original woman went to make a call to her lawyer, and came back all excited.  The lawyer said they could legally keep the money!  All they had to do was put up a small amount (several hundred dollars) as a bond to claim tens of thousands.  So our victim ran to her bank, got her money, ran back and handed it over to the woman with the envelope.  That woman left to go see her lawyer, and...never came back.  (The story didn't make it clear if the third woman also got ripped off, but I know the third person is usually in on the scam - makes the victim more likely to go along).

I'm watching this thinking, "Didn't she ever see the movie, The Sting?"  Robert Redford does a variation of it at the beginning.  Plus, if you found a huge chunk of money, and were unethical enough to just keep it, would you really run around trying to share it with strangers?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

pattycake

« Reply #7197 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Just last week on the news here in SW Michigan (Detroit) was a story about a woman who got scammed, the classic Pigeon Drop  She was approached by a woman in a parking lot who showed her an envelope full of money that she had just found in the parking lot.  The woman asked her if she would like to split the 'found' money with her.  They also called over a third woman who happened to be walking by to join in.

The original woman went to make a call to her lawyer, and came back all excited.  The lawyer said they could legally keep the money!  All they had to do was put up a small amount (several hundred dollars) as a bond to claim tens of thousands.  So our victim ran to her bank, got her money, ran back and handed it over to the woman with the envelope.  That woman left to go see her lawyer, and...never came back.  (The story didn't make it clear if the third woman also got ripped off, but I know the third person is usually in on the scam - makes the victim more likely to go along).

I'm watching this thinking, "Didn't she ever see the movie, The Sting?"  Robert Redford does a variation of it at the beginning.  Plus, if you found a huge chunk of money, and were unethical enough to just keep it, would you really run around trying to share it with strangers?

The bolded, that's my first thought! If I personally found it, I would try to find the owner or turn it in to the police. If I were less principled, why would I tell a stranger, let alone two, and then ask a lawyer? and who is bonding what? (as the potential victim, I'd ask a lot more questions!) I would be putting it away for a while before spending it.

eltf177

« Reply #7198 on: January 13, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »
I'm watching this thinking, "Didn't she ever see the movie, The Sting?"

Or the classic HAWAII FIVE-0 episode I'M A FAMILY CROOK, DON'T SHOOT with Andy Griffith?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7199 on: January 14, 2018, 03:15:05 AM »
I got a voice mail from Optum RX saying that my prescription had been approved and I should call them to verify shipping. It sounded super legit- be warned.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Scams-Fraud/Phone-Scam-OptumRX/td-p/1575579

Holy crap. I need to forward this to my sister who works for a legit company that does Optum. if they don't know yet she might have to bring it to their attention