News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2580827 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7245 on: March 03, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »
There was a fake Buddhist monk wandering around the city yesterday. I walked pas him but I managed to stop a woman giving him money. I told her he wasnít a monk and Buddhist monks donít panhandle.

I imagine Fake Buddhist Monk was very displeased with you!

He was! Iíve heard of him marching people (usually women) to ATMs to get cash to give him. Thatís robbery!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7246 on: March 04, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Like the above, there is a young woman, in hijab, who has started panhandling outside a local market, with her baby in a stroller.

I asked one of the workers, as I am there frequently, but had never seen anyone panhandle there. They told me she lives in the upscale apartment complex next to the market, and started panhandling there last week, is there every day for hours.

The only thing is, there is an active church next to this market, that provides food, clothing, and shelter to those in need, no matter if they are of that faith or any. There is a mosque just down the street that also supports people in need, of any faith.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

vintagegal

« Reply #7247 on: March 05, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
Ebay seller who shipped a 3+ pound package with a First Class 7 ounce package label. I filed a complaint with the USPS Inspectors.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #7248 on: March 06, 2018, 03:37:34 AM »
It's been spammy on my phone lately.

Yesterday was Amber from BBC research, Mastercard/VISA rewards, the female robocaller that is calling you because you have stayed at their resort,  and the fake cop charity.

Today was the female robocaller from UBCF, Amber from BBC research, and an IRS call.

We go days with calls, so it's been busy

Girlie

« Reply #7249 on: March 06, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
I'm afraid that a dear friend of mine has qualified for the "Beggars" portion of this title.

Please understand that she's usually a very lovely person, but lately her behavior has been a increasingly...odd - and cumbersome. I'll call her Sabrina.

Her sister (who is also a dear friend and who has ALSO been acting as though decent etiquette was never taught to her) is getting married. This sister, whom I'll call Daphne, is across the country from Sabrina, the rest of the family, and me. Daphne's upcoming marriage is occurring in April, so Sabrina has decided to take it upon herself to throw Daphne a bridal shower. The bride-to-be won't even be present - the event invitation (online, of course), promises that "We may even be able to see the happy couple via Skype!"  Guests have also been asked to mail their packages or otherwise prepare them for transport via their mom. No one will get the pleasure of seeing the bride-to-be open her presents, and the menu is rather limited for guests who mostly live on the other side of the state to have to travel for. Sabrina is extremely put out that most people aren't thrilled about attending this pseudo-shower.

I should go ahead and mention that Sabrina is also pregnant, due in August. A few weeks ago, she mentioned that she is intent on hosting her own baby shower in "May or June or something."

Last night, she messaged me to tell me that she and her husband will be hosting a "Gender Reveal" party...and they'll be asking everyone to bring food in a potluck-style event. She'll be so tired after all of the planning and prep for her other events, you see...

Honestly, I can't possibly skip the bridal shower, no matter how tacky I think it is. Both women were bridesmaids in my own wedding, after all. I think I'll have to send my regards and a nice card to the other events, though.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7250 on: March 06, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
There's a way to do a long-distance shower well, and this isn't it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyJ3000

• Cinemania
« Reply #7251 on: March 26, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
As a hotel worker I see plenty of scams. The most recent one cracked me up due to the many errors.

Dear Hotel

I'm Amanda, my boyfriend and I have reservations for your hotel this weekend. It's out tenth wedding anniversary. Can you reserve us a room?

Apparently the .exe file attached to the email had their credit card information. Lord knows what viruses were in that thing I deleted it. We never heard anything else from the scammer.
My Media Blog
http://ladyj3000.blogspot.com
Updated Weekly

malfoyfan13

« Reply #7252 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
So yesterday DH got two robocalls - the IRS one and one where the robovoice said "there are multiple cases pending against you".  LOL  Both had the same call-back number.  I'm planning to call it when I get a minute and if I get a real person on the line, mess with them.  I get a kick out of the wording on these messages - "the cops" are going to come get you.  Not the police, the cops.  Yeah, baby, bring it on!  Send only the good-looking ones, though. ;-)

Luci

« Reply #7253 on: March 29, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
So yesterday DH got two robocalls - the IRS one and one where the robovoice said "there are multiple cases pending against you".  LOL  Both had the same call-back number.  I'm planning to call it when I get a minute and if I get a real person on the line, mess with them.  I get a kick out of the wording on these messages - "the cops" are going to come get you.  Not the police, the cops.  Yeah, baby, bring it on!  Send only the good-looking ones, though. ;-)

If itís really good, be sure to update us, please.

kckgirl

« Reply #7254 on: March 29, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
My mother got the IRS call several times. She called the police, and an officer came out to the house. He took the callback number and said he was going out to his car to call them back. She never heard from them again.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #7255 on: March 30, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
Ebay seller who shipped a 3+ pound package with a First Class 7 ounce package label. I filed a complaint with the USPS Inspectors.

Sounds like my etsy package, a very heavy Coach bag that came media mail. I wondered why it was so cheap to send, $6 and change. Now I know!

vintagegal

« Reply #7256 on: March 30, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »

I since found out that with seller-printed labels, the USPS weighs and monitors all packages automatically. No more postage due, they simply bill the sender for the discrepancy. Which makes it even more bizarre, since the total amount I paid (free shipping) is less than what the postage bill would be. Apparently they have been doing this for several months now.

I would definitely let the postal inspectors know about the misuse of Media Mail though. Geesh. Media Mail is the only mail class that can be opened for inspection. They are taking a big chance.

andi

« Reply #7257 on: April 08, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »

Oh I got that one too. I called back and they hung up on me when I asked for their badge number and a supervisor. Then I called back and asked for a supervisor and got into a back-and-forth to the guy actually started saying ďblah blah blahĒ at me. So then I called back and asked why I had not received a letter since the IRS is supposed to send a letter. The guy put me on hold and came back and gave me some weird made up address that they had supposedly sent a letter to. Told him I had never lived at that address ask them what name they had sent it to you. Puts me on hold and then comes back with some weird made-up name. Told him that wasnít my name so he hung up on me.

pattycake

« Reply #7258 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »

Oh I got that one too. I called back and they hung up on me when I asked for their badge number and a supervisor. Then I called back and asked for a supervisor and got into a back-and-forth to the guy actually started saying ďblah blah blahĒ at me. So then I called back and asked why I had not received a letter since the IRS is supposed to send a letter. The guy put me on hold and came back and gave me some weird made up address that they had supposedly sent a letter to. Told him I had never lived at that address ask them what name they had sent it to you. Puts me on hold and then comes back with some weird made-up name. Told him that wasnít my name so he hung up on me.

;D ;D ;D  Wish I had the patience and presence of mind to do this! But mostly I screen my calls with caller id, so I don't get to have this kind of fun anyway.

Aleko

« Reply #7259 on: April 09, 2018, 01:34:01 AM »
Here in the UK we are much harassed by scam calls from call centres based in India. The workers are all instructed to identify themselves with fake English-language names, so if you pick up the phone and hear a voice with a heavy Indian accent starting with "Mrs X? My name is Fiona / Alastair / Sophie and I'm calling about..."  you can already be sure the next thing will be "your Microsoft PC / your recent car accident" or the lead-in to some such familiar scam.

My favoured technique is, as soon as they give the fake name, to say quite pleasantly and conversationally "No, it's not", and wait to see how long they keep babbling the spiel before their brain registers this and they come to a dead halt. There's a second or two while they process it. Often they just give up and put the phone down without attempting any comeback; but sometimes they ask "What do you mean?" And I reply, as nice as pie, "Your name isn't Sophie". Then they put the phone down. Simple but satisfying.