A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (147/607) > >>

LadyClaire:

--- Quote from: Wulfie on April 15, 2013, 02:04:17 PM ---The letter was stamped with the notice from the prison that the writer is an inmate and that the contents had not been screened by the prison.  It was also addressed with the return address of prison in Walla Walla where they send the really bad guys like Ridgeway (the Green River Murderer). 

Granted, the prisoner could be playing a joke but the whole tone of the letter was that he felt these were good honest plans and that he would be a great addition to our property.

--- End quote ---

We got a 4 page, front-and-back letter from a prisoner once who wanted to attend our university. A good 75% of the letter was complete and utter gibberish/made zero sense. It was seriously weird and creepy. The letter made the rounds of the various university offices because it was just so completely crazy.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: Midge on February 27, 2013, 02:49:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Miss March on February 26, 2013, 06:17:38 PM ---My DH got a phishing email the other day. They did a good job- it looked pretty legit. It was supposedly a receipt from PayPal, showing his recent purchase of a watch. They were banking on him hitting the "Report problem" link at the bottom in a panic, to say he didn't buy that watch, and having him input his correct PayPal information to verify his account.

--- End quote ---

I got that one the other day!

My personal hotmail email account is my first name, plus the rest of my initials--for example, midgecdf@blahblah.com. When I looked at the "to" field on that email, it had been sent to midgecdf@blahblah.com, midgemmm@blahblah.com, midgeabc@blahblah.com, etc. They just typed in a first name, a bunch of letters after, and hit send, hoping for the best!

--- End quote ---

I just got this one today!  I had just used  my PayPal account for the first time in several months, and a few days after the legitimate transaction, I got this one.  I went to the PayPal site (in a separate browser window, not via any links) to verify that no such transaction had been processed.

Reader:
My friend J just posted on Facebook, that a man came to her door yesterday.  Here is her conversation with him - "Weird thing just happened to me. A man came to my door and had cleaning supplies in his hand. This was our conversation:
Me: what's up?
 Man: I'm not selling anything. We're in the neighborhood giving out cleaning supplies to the ladies".
 Me: I don't live here, and we don't need them.
 I unfortunately did not catch the license plate. I did report it, though.
 Anyone have anything like this ever happen? Weird that he wasn't selling anything, but was giving away products to "ladies". What's the catch???"

People chiming in have all said it's a scam to gain entrance to the home for assault, to be robbed or even raped  :o, said she was smart to say she didn't live there, and was giving advice to have her change her routine, and get a dog etc.  She later checked with other houses and neighbors and no one else was approached and said a call to ADT was on the horizon, as she lives alone with her daughter.

Luci:

--- Quote from: Hillia on April 18, 2013, 12:35:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: Midge on February 27, 2013, 02:49:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Miss March on February 26, 2013, 06:17:38 PM ---My DH got a phishing email the other day. They did a good job- it looked pretty legit. It was supposedly a receipt from PayPal, showing his recent purchase of a watch. They were banking on him hitting the "Report problem" link at the bottom in a panic, to say he didn't buy that watch, and having him input his correct PayPal information to verify his account.

--- End quote ---

I got that one the other day!

My personal hotmail email account is my first name, plus the rest of my initials--for example, midgecdf@blahblah.com. When I looked at the "to" field on that email, it had been sent to midgecdf@blahblah.com, midgemmm@blahblah.com, midgeabc@blahblah.com, etc. They just typed in a first name, a bunch of letters after, and hit send, hoping for the best!

--- End quote ---

I just got this one today!  I had just used  my PayPal account for the first time in several months, and a few days after the legitimate transaction, I got this one.  I went to the PayPal site (in a separate browser window, not via any links) to verify that no such transaction had been processed.

--- End quote ---

I got a fraud alert from Discover and phoned. The customer service person informed that I could use the link and not have to call. I was too shocked to try to explain it to her.

bloo:
I just posted an ad to Craigslist to sell my bicycle.

When I opened my email a little bit ago and read this response I about fell out my chair laughing:

--- Quote ---Hello i am interested in your bike i was wondering if you would be willing to waive the money if it went to a young couple starting out in our first apartment and bring it to us as we dont drive if so thank you your a lifesaver if not i understand and god bless
--- End quote ---

Certainly not a scam, but definitely beggy with a little bit of moochy! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version