News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2577357 times)

snowfire

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7290 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
We had one at work Friday. Got a call claiming to be from the power company. My boss took the call so I don't know if they had the correct name. The caller did the standard scam routine that our power bill had not been paid in forever & they were on their way over to shut us off. They wanted immediate payment, I think in gift cards. Boss had just paid the official power bill the day before so he knew we were not delinquent. He just hung up on them. I was sorry, I wanted to yank their chain for a while.  >:D

siamesecat2965

« Reply #7291 on: April 30, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »

I knew a guy whose first name was Dave.  His legal name (on his birth certificate, drivers license, social security card, etc) was Dave, not David.  Just Dave.  I know this because I was the one who made the photocopies when we hired him.

He absolutely refused to respond when anyone addressed him as David.  His opinion was that anyone who called him David obviously didn't have enough respect for him to call him by his name.  I can't say I blame him.

I agree -- as long as he informed people that Dave was his actual name.  Not everyone had the privilege of seeing all his ID and making photocopies of them.   A lot of people (probably including me) would almost automatically assume that it was an abbreviated form of David and may have been trying to be more formal/respectful rather than use a casual name that might imply we're all "buddy buddy".

I don't blame him either. I had a similar situation only mine was the nickname of my given name. Let's say my name is Katherine (its not but similar in that there are several nicknames one can use). Let's say I go by Kit, not as common say as Kate, Kathy, or so on. I worked with someone, much higher up than me, but not directly, thank goodness, who insisted on calling me Kathy vs. Kit, despite his direct reports telling him, no her name is Kit, not Kathy. It's really very frustrating esp. when your name on your cube says Kit.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7292 on: May 05, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

HenrysMom

« Reply #7293 on: May 05, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
This is not how to try to cheat on a pre-employment drug test. Woman cited for blowing up a microwave while warming up the body fluid she was going to sneak into the drug test lab

All I can say is that if that woman thinks that constitutes ďcleaning,Ē then I certainly wouldnít want to hire or work with her.

audhs

« Reply #7294 on: May 08, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
i had to laugh a couple of months ago, I received two scam calls in one day.

The first was a text from ďRevenue CanadaĒ saying I had over paid my taxes and if I clicked the link I could get $500 back.

The second was a call to my home number saying that I owed money to Revenue Canada and they were coming to arrest me if I didnít pay.

;D ;D

Luci

« Reply #7295 on: May 08, 2018, 10:03:55 PM »
Iíve been wondering about the Nigerian prince and his rich friends. Did they give all their money away? Did they find true heirs? Did they pass away intestate so the government finally inherited? I kind of miss them, and am very concerned about their well-being.

Coralline

« Reply #7296 on: May 09, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »
Iíve been wondering about the Nigerian prince and his rich friends. Did they give all their money away? Did they find true heirs? Did they pass away intestate so the government finally inherited? I kind of miss them, and am very concerned about their well-being.

Have you seen this?
Police arrest Louisiana man involved with 'Nigerian prince' email scams - https://mashable.com/2017/12/30/nigerian-prince-scam-arrest/#TRbEwqo1tPqr

MrTango

« Reply #7297 on: May 09, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »

Have you seen this?
Police arrest Louisiana man involved with 'Nigerian prince' email scams - https://mashable.com/2017/12/30/nigerian-prince-scam-arrest/#TRbEwqo1tPqr

I hope he enjoyed his life, because he's going to spend the rest of it in federal prison.

Luci

« Reply #7298 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

Have you seen this?

I hope he enjoyed his life, because he's going to spend the rest of it in federal prison.

Oh! No! Do you mean that there were no real princes involved?

Anyway, Iím really happy when such vermin are caught and punished. And Iím most sad about the people that donít see these as hoaxes and lose money.

Iím think this thread has enlightened many about scams. For me, it was about pop ups claiming there are viruses on my computer. Thanks.

vintagegal

« Reply #7299 on: May 10, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
on another forum where I mod, I have been deleting spam offering "Buy high-quality counterfeit money!!" (really). It occurred to me that the Secret Service might want to know about this, so I got a phone number, spoke to an agent, got his email (they don't have a general email) and forwarded the spam message to him, complete with spammer's email address and Whatsapp number, that they posted.

They're probably not really providing counterfeit notes, just trying to scam people out of money. Because when you don't get your counterfeit bills, who are you going to complain to, the BBB? Still, I thought the feds might want to look into it, the way the police will still arrest you if you are selling baking powder as cocaine.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7300 on: May 10, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »
On the travel board where I hang out, they get some counterfeit money sellers, but mostly scammers offering fake passports and visas. Same dealótake the money and run.

I once looked into the fake passport scam, and itís rather sad. The scammers are mostly based in West Africa. Their targets are primarily men in African and Asian countries who are desperate to work on a developed county. Most of these men just want to support their families back home. Some have been refused visas or have had to leave the country when a visa or work contract expires. They need a new passport to be able to get a new visa. One big group is men from the Indian subcontinent countries who want to work in the Middle East.

An experienced international spy, drug smuggler, or art thief knows sources for really good fakes. These scammers prey on the uneducated and impoverished.

Another similar one is fake university diplomas. There are some countries where a diploma is important for salary, but where employers almost never check validity.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

rose red

« Reply #7301 on: May 10, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »
on another forum where I mod, I have been deleting spam offering "Buy high-quality counterfeit money!!" (really). It occurred to me that the Secret Service might want to know about this, so I got a phone number, spoke to an agent, got his email (they don't have a general email) and forwarded the spam message to him, complete with spammer's email address and Whatsapp number, that they posted.

They're probably not really providing counterfeit notes, just trying to scam people out of money. Because when you don't get your counterfeit bills, who are you going to complain to, the BBB? Still, I thought the feds might want to look into it, the way the police will still arrest you if you are selling baking powder as cocaine.

Probably not. If you have such high quality stuff, why would you need to sell? Just make your own!

vintagegal

« Reply #7302 on: May 12, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
May be just a coincidence, BUT....

I have been on FB for years, minimal personal info given. Status has stayed at "Married" even after I was widowed. I comment regularly on public type postings, mostly politics. Since I started following a "widow" page, I have had one friend request from a man I don't know, and another one commented "How are you today?" on a comment I had made on the page. Checked their profiles, one appears to be a minister, the other appears to be retired military and the name in the URL does not match the name on the page. hmmmm....