A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (170/734) > >>

Julian:
I haven't checked my spam folder for a while, and yesterday I found this.  Who knew the UN had enough money to randomly send me $5K USD per day up to $1.8B?

Hello,

I write to inform you that we have already sent you $5000.00USD through Western Union as we have been given the mandate to transfer your full compensation payment of $1,800,000.00USD via Western Union Money Transfer by the United Nations (ECOWAS). This is because United Nations are supporting individuals due to the worldwide economy meltdown.

I would have requested for your phone number to give you the information through phone but internet hackers were many. So i decided to email you the MTCN and sender name so that you can pick up this $5000.00USD to enable us send another $5000.00USD by tomorrow as you know that we will be sending you only $5000.00USD per day.  The fund was send in the name which you use in opening your e-mail address.

Please pick up this information and rush to any western union to pick up the $5000.00USD and send us an email back to enable us send you another payment by tomorrow.

Email or call me once you picked up this $5000.00USD today.

Mr.Daniel Wilson
E-mail: westernunionofficeannex74@yahoo.com.hk

Here is the western union information to pick up the
$5000.00USD,

MTCN :___________________916-765-3719
SENDER'S NAME:___________Sahrir Saad
TEXT QUESTION:___________HONEST
ANSWER:__________________TRUST
AMOUNT SENT______________$5000.00USD

I am waiting for your email  once you pick up the
$5000.00USD,

Thanks
Mr.Daniel Wilson.

kherbert05:
Was visiting Nanna. She asked me to go to a local farmers market type set up and get some fresh berries. She tells me how much a pint will cost. I park a distance away and walk up.

Me - I'll take a pint of blackberries
Farmer - Ok that will be 2x what nanna said
Me - Oh I'll have to go back and get more money from the car Nanna said it would be x per pint
Farmer - Who is Nanna
Me (Nanna's full Name) I'm (mom's name) daughter
Farmer oh the Texas granddaugher it is X for a pint.

Still not sure if it was a local vs tourist thing or if he just gave Nanna a break on the prices.

RebeccainGA:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on May 10, 2013, 07:43:08 PM ---Was visiting Nanna. She asked me to go to a local farmers market type set up and get some fresh berries. She tells me how much a pint will cost. I park a distance away and walk up.

Me - I'll take a pint of blackberries
Farmer - Ok that will be 2x what nanna said
Me - Oh I'll have to go back and get more money from the car Nanna said it would be x per pint
Farmer - Who is Nanna
Me (Nanna's full Name) I'm (mom's name) daughter
Farmer oh the Texas granddaugher it is X for a pint.

Still not sure if it was a local vs tourist thing or if he just gave Nanna a break on the prices.

--- End quote ---
Probably a long time customer thing. My grandmother has a fruit/veg vendor at the flea market that charges her $2 a basket (a dry pint basket as full as it can be - three or four large tomatoes) and has since the 80s - he charges everyone else $7 a basket, now. It's hysterical to me, especially since she pays his market rates for everything else - cucumbers, onions, apples, strawberries, corn, etc. It's just the tomatoes that are cheap.

Wulfie:
We saw some real scammers at dinner last night.  We went to a local chain restaurant that we love. We know all the staff there and will frequently chat with them when it is slow.  We were in the bar which is right by the door.

Scammers got their food order and everything was going fine.  “Sally” was taking an order from another table when Scammer table yelled at her to bring them their check.  Sally told that she would bring it right way. She finished putting in the order for the table she just took and printed off their bill. She turned around and the table was empty.  She was puzzled and thought that they had gone to the bathroom or something and dropped the bill off for them to pay when they got back.   A few minutes later, she realized that they had not come back. She checked with the hostess to see if they had paid there.  Nope, we heard her talking to the hostess and WulfieWoman told to Sally that she had seen them walk out the front door but we didn’t realize that they had walked out without paying.

Sally said that it was really odd because the scammers had just gotten their food and had been there for over an hour drinking before they ordered.  Fortunately, ChainResturant does not make the server pay for walk outs.   We tipped double our normal tip to help her out a bit on that lost table.

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Shalamar on May 10, 2013, 03:23:01 PM ---When I was in the Dominican Republic, a woman came up to me and started putting cornrows in my hair without asking.  I was ready to tell her to get lost, but (a) I thought it would be fun to see what I looked like in cornrows and (b) I figured she was probably quite poor and could use some tourist dollars.  Well, she ended up asking me for $50!  I haggled down to $30, which was still far more than I wanted to pay.  I should have done what my friend did - she tried to do the same to him (not sure why - he had very short hair), and he pulled out his pockets to indicate that he didn't have any money on him.

--- End quote ---

Many years ago there was a generic tourist  T-shirt  for sale in the Caribbean that I always wish I had bought. 

'I don't want a taxi,
I don't want my hair braided,
I don't want to buy peanuts,
I don't want to buy drugs,
and my name isn't Sweetie'. 

That says it all. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version