Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 629305 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #870 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:42 PM »
"Oh, SIL, we'd hate for you to be left out of our group gift!  If you'd like to join in, you can buy some of the pieces we bought for $$ and give those to Mom, too.  But it's totally fine if you want to do your own gift instead, we'll just make this one from the rest of us."  And leave her name off the card.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #871 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
Saw this one this morning. People taking advantage of disabled people so they don't have to wait in line at Disneyland.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rich-new-york-mums-use-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney-world/story-e6frfq80-1226642610144

That's interesting... at Disneyland (the article is about Disney World), the disabled do *not* get to go to the front of the line. They don't have to wait in the line, but someone in the party does and they are let in when the person in the regular line gets to the front.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #872 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »
There are many threads on the Guest Access Cards available for Disney visitors on other boards. There are different options.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #873 on: May 14, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Yes, but using disabled people like this is wrong.

Lindee

« Reply #874 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
 I agree the whole concept is just wrong but I don't see the wheelchair person being taken advantage of or used as they are being very well paid for their "services". My immediate cheapskate thought was that hiring a wheelchair for the day and making one of the kids sit in it would be a lot cheaper.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #875 on: May 15, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
Saw this one this morning. People taking advantage of disabled people so they don't have to wait in line at Disneyland.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rich-new-york-mums-use-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney-world/story-e6frfq80-1226642610144

This used to be how it works. But last time I was there I was using my chair and while I didn't have to wait in the line, I did have to wait a roughly equivalent time. I couldn't wait in some lines, because the line snaked through areas I just couldn't get through.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Midge

« Reply #876 on: May 15, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »
I hate the PA digs when someone gets to do something they have planned and saved for. I hear that all the time and marginalize those who indulge in that behavior. We are replacing our 20 year old car, because I can't reliably count on it running well enough to commute in. I am spending my money and what the old car sells for to replace it with something 10 years old. I haven't told anyone because I don't want the gimme hounds starting.

You're getting a new car? *sniff* Must be nice!

(Runs away)

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #877 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
We used to get the "fresh meat" guy. A few summers ago, he knocked on the door in the middle of dinner and I answered. He did his spiel (through the screen door) and I told him we weren't interested because we were vegetarians. I then took a big bite of my hot dog and looked him in the eye.
He hasn't been back since.

deadbody

« Reply #878 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
We used to get the "fresh meat" guy. A few summers ago, he knocked on the door in the middle of dinner and I answered. He did his spiel (through the screen door) and I told him we weren't interested because we were vegetarians. I then took a big bite of my hot dog and looked him in the eye.

Somewhat related I haven't had a door to door salesman in a year or so, the last one came to the door, front door open, just the screen door closed, and knocked.  I was sitting at the table 15 feet away, and you could hear my kids playing.  I looked up and said "Nobody's home."

He stood there for a minute and then just lowered his head in a dejected manner and walked away.  How do you argue with the crazy.

cwm

« Reply #879 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
I've had plenty of door to door people. If it's the neighborhood kids in my mom's neighborhood, I'll tell them when she'll be home because I know she'll buy from them. I've always found that not opening the door but saying I'm an out of town guest is a good plan. "I'm sorry, I'm not actually from here. I'm visiting a friend who rents. No, I don't know the landlord. No, I don't know how you can reach him. No, he doesn't live here. No, my friend has literally no power to make any changes on the property. No, I don't know when my friend will be back."

Most of the salespeople in my area tend to be home repair people, fixing your rooof, or offering lawncare services. Either that or selling magazine sales or something else to help the neighborhood. I'm not sure exactly how that one worked, but he had to get several thousand points and was trying a hard sale on me through the door. He even held up his order form to the window to show how many points my neighbors had given him by buying things. Um, no, dude. I just told you I don't live here, there's no way I'm going to buy something from you when you're holding up a sheet if paper with other people's information on it. Sorry.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #880 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
I hate the PA digs when someone gets to do something they have planned and saved for. I hear that all the time and marginalize those who indulge in that behavior. We are replacing our 20 year old car, because I can't reliably count on it running well enough to commute in. I am spending my money and what the old car sells for to replace it with something 10 years old. I haven't told anyone because I don't want the gimme hounds starting.

You're getting a new car? *sniff* Must be nice!

(Runs away)

Ha ha! New to me, my dear.

CakeBeret

« Reply #881 on: May 15, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »

Genius.  8)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Snooks

« Reply #882 on: May 15, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

That's interesting... at Disneyland (the article is about Disney World), the disabled do *not* get to go to the front of the line. They don't have to wait in the line, but someone in the party does and they are let in when the person in the regular line gets to the front.

There's an interesting blog post from a guy with an autistic son about their Guest Assistance pass for Disney World

http://shmoolok.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/1081/Part-of-the-Problem.aspx

I think it's a really difficult problem as when you've stood in line for two hours and see someone else go to the front of the line with the seven other people they're visiting the park with (not just at Disney) it can be incredibly galling.  Don't get me wrong I can see why some guests can't wait in line but I think there does have to be some level of control/fairness.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #883 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »

There's an interesting blog post from a guy with an autistic son about their Guest Assistance pass for Disney World

http://shmoolok.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/1081/Part-of-the-Problem.aspx

I think it's a really difficult problem as when you've stood in line for two hours and see someone else go to the front of the line with the seven other people they're visiting the park with (not just at Disney) it can be incredibly galling.  Don't get me wrong I can see why some guests can't wait in line but I think there does have to be some level of control/fairness.
Loved the blog. We use the ECVs at Disney most trips (even pre-DP's cancer) because I have a permanently screwed up ankle (surgery helped, some, but after a whole day on it it's the size of a softball) and she's got issues with her hips. We do take turns - one rides for an hour, then the other rides, and it's very handy. That said, yes, we do get some 'front of the line' treatment, mostly on the older rides that haven't been brought to code, so to speak. We also get to wait through the standard line regularly on many rides, and any time saved on the wait seems to be made up for in waiting for the ECV to be moved around to the end of the ride/renting and returning the thing/waiting for an accessible table to be available in restaurants/being boxed in by herds of folks that aren't paying attention because the rider is shorter than adult standing height. In other words, we save time some places, we lose it in others. We also get dirty looks the whole day from people that assume that we're doing the ECV because of weight issues (we're not - my ankle and DP's hips are both not the result of weight) or that we're just lazy (and yes, we've been told this to our faces by other guests). I don't see where this is any advantage!

Lots of scammers out there - and they do make it more difficult for those of us with legit issues. Maybe next time we go, DP's 'regular' wheelchair will encourage folks to be a bit more tolerant.

Jones

« Reply #884 on: May 15, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
While at the gym I saw a news blip on the TV about a man, age 91, who had given his daughter power of attorney in case his health declined. She used it to transfer his home and lands into her name. She started selling off bits of the land and served her father with an eviction notice to get jim out of the house. He's trying to raise some money to offer to her, to buy the deed back.
Despicable.