Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 683095 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #885 on: May 15, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
While at the gym I saw a news blip on the TV about a man, age 91, who had given his daughter power of attorney in case his health declined. She used it to transfer his home and lands into her name. She started selling off bits of the land and served her father with an eviction notice to get jim out of the house. He's trying to raise some money to offer to her, to buy the deed back.
Despicable.

CRUD MONKEYS!

I'm wondering that he didn't realize his daughter was this kind of person already - granted, parents do look at their kids with rosy tinted glasses.....but you'd think that he would have seen the red flags a decade or two ago.

(This is VorFemme on her first Linux post.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

amylouky

« Reply #886 on: May 15, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
While at the gym I saw a news blip on the TV about a man, age 91, who had given his daughter power of attorney in case his health declined. She used it to transfer his home and lands into her name. She started selling off bits of the land and served her father with an eviction notice to get jim out of the house. He's trying to raise some money to offer to her, to buy the deed back.
Despicable.

CRUD MONKEYS!

I'm wondering that he didn't realize his daughter was this kind of person already - granted, parents do look at their kids with rosy tinted glasses.....but you'd think that he would have seen the red flags a decade or two ago.

http://gma.yahoo.com/91-old-man-raises-money-prevent-eviction-daughter-132430362--abc-news-topstories.html

Wow. Just, wow. That's just nasty.

Snooks

« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:47 PM »
Saw this one this morning. People taking advantage of disabled people so they don't have to wait in line at Disneyland.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rich-new-york-mums-use-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney-world/story-e6frfq80-1226642610144

That's interesting... at Disneyland (the article is about Disney World), the disabled do *not* get to go to the front of the line. They don't have to wait in the line, but someone in the party does and they are let in when the person in the regular line gets to the front.

There's an interesting blog post from a guy with an autistic son about their Guest Assistance pass for Disney World

http://shmoolok.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/1081/Part-of-the-Problem.aspx

I think it's a really difficult problem as when you've stood in line for two hours and see someone else go to the front of the line with the seven other people they're visiting the park with (not just at Disney) it can be incredibly galling.  Don't get me wrong I can see why some guests can't wait in line but I think there does have to be some level of control/fairness.
Loved the blog. We use the ECVs at Disney most trips (even pre-DP's cancer) because I have a permanently screwed up ankle (surgery helped, some, but after a whole day on it it's the size of a softball) and she's got issues with her hips. We do take turns - one rides for an hour, then the other rides, and it's very handy. That said, yes, we do get some 'front of the line' treatment, mostly on the older rides that haven't been brought to code, so to speak. We also get to wait through the standard line regularly on many rides, and any time saved on the wait seems to be made up for in waiting for the ECV to be moved around to the end of the ride/renting and returning the thing/waiting for an accessible table to be available in restaurants/being boxed in by herds of folks that aren't paying attention because the rider is shorter than adult standing height. In other words, we save time some places, we lose it in others. We also get dirty looks the whole day from people that assume that we're doing the ECV because of weight issues (we're not - my ankle and DP's hips are both not the result of weight) or that we're just lazy (and yes, we've been told this to our faces by other guests). I don't see where this is any advantage!

Lots of scammers out there - and they do make it more difficult for those of us with legit issues. Maybe next time we go, DP's 'regular' wheelchair will encourage folks to be a bit more tolerant.

From his description it sounds like their guest assistance card allowed them to use the accessible entrance which results in shorter queues.  It sounds like you've had a different experience.

Midge

« Reply #888 on: May 15, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
I hate the PA digs when someone gets to do something they have planned and saved for. I hear that all the time and marginalize those who indulge in that behavior. We are replacing our 20 year old car, because I can't reliably count on it running well enough to commute in. I am spending my money and what the old car sells for to replace it with something 10 years old. I haven't told anyone because I don't want the gimme hounds starting.

You're getting a new car? *sniff* Must be nice!

(Runs away)

Ha ha! New to me, my dear.

Sorry, just turned into my SIL for a moment!  ;)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #889 on: May 15, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »
I would like to thank the kind E-Hellion, for it must be an e-hellion, who bought me the winning ticket in the American SuperLotto draw.  I would much prefer to send you my $5.00 and we can share the $50,000000 between us.

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #890 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
My husband just told me about a scammer that came to the door last night.  Woman claimed to live in the neighborhood, just down the street.  Her house had a fire.  She's 70 and has a baby but only has enough formula for 2 days and doesn't have enough $ to buy more.  Can we spare some money or formula (but she'd really prefer cash)?  Husband said no. 

Why:
1. We did not recognize her as living in the neighborhood.
2.  There was a house fire 2 blocks away in early January which trapped a woman inside.  She died of her injuries 3 weeks ago.
3.  Woman did not look in her 70's but more like in her 50's.
4.  She really wanted cash.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #891 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
... She's 70 and has a baby but only has enough formula for 2 days and doesn't have enough $ to buy more.  ...

Huh?   ???

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #892 on: May 16, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »
Hearing about women in their 60's and 70's having children more often now.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #893 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
A legit case would be a grandparent raising a baby because the parents are not around. There was a recent profile in our paper of a grandfather who got custody of an infant after the parents were killed.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #894 on: May 16, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
Yes, my husband also questioned the 70 year old with a baby but then considered maybe she was raising her grandchild.  A pink flag, if you will, among the red flags, in her story.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #895 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
I have one of those relatives on FB who does the must be nice routine when someone talks about a new car or vacation.  To me, that is so rude, like "how dare you have something nice and not give it to me!"  Well, dude..you and your wife decided to have 4 kids right in a row and for her to stay home with them, and they should have the best of the best of video games and toys.  He actually complained how it must be nice for people to have so much when they had to borrow money to put their child in an activity that was known to be very expensive and it's only purpose was for bragging about special child was to be in activity (think reality show activity).  I just laugh because they have posted must be nices on my statuses and I scrape and scrimp and do without the big things to be able to afford certain things for our family to do and they post about their new phones or video game systems.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #896 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
I can relate. If it is the hobby I am thinking of, it is a recurring cost of $$$$ per year.

I thought Scouting was expensive!

heartmug

« Reply #897 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
Despicable.

CRUD MONKEYS!

http://gma.yahoo.com/91-old-man-raises-money-prevent-eviction-daughter-132430362--abc-news-topstories.html

Wow. Just, wow. That's just nasty.

That is so awful!!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

cwm

« Reply #898 on: May 16, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
I have one of those relatives on FB who does the must be nice routine when someone talks about a new car or vacation.  To me, that is so rude, like "how dare you have something nice and not give it to me!"  Well, dude..you and your wife decided to have 4 kids right in a row and for her to stay home with them, and they should have the best of the best of video games and toys.  He actually complained how it must be nice for people to have so much when they had to borrow money to put their child in an activity that was known to be very expensive and it's only purpose was for bragging about special child was to be in activity (think reality show activity).  I just laugh because they have posted must be nices on my statuses and I scrape and scrimp and do without the big things to be able to afford certain things for our family to do and they post about their new phones or video game systems.

I've got some new "friends" like this on FB. They actually beg for money on FB from their friends, and then get mad when people call them out on it. I will never understand this. If you can't afford rent or car payments, why do you have all the newest video game systems, new phones, all the data plans, the highest tier wireless internet, and brand new computers?

heartmug

« Reply #899 on: May 16, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »

I've got some new "friends" like this on FB. They actually beg for money on FB from their friends, and then get mad when people call them out on it. I will never understand this. If you can't afford rent or car payments, why do you have all the newest video game systems, new phones, all the data plans, the highest tier wireless internet, and brand new computers?

DH called out greedy nephew on that.  A few years back we finally were able to go on our dream vacation.  For 5 years we dedicated to not giving each other any presents (anniversary, birthday, Christmas, nor Valentine's Day) and stock away that money.  We also had pay-as-you-go phones.  Nephew made a snide comment about how "lucky" we are and after pointing out about the lack of gift giving DH pulled out his phone and said "Let's compare phone costs" as nephew sat there playing with his iphone.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.