Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 573891 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #915 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
Am I the only one who hopes the father was diligent in immediately changing his will as soon as he got the POA turned over to the Granddaughter?  The daughter shouldn't get another cent from his estate.

I can't help but wonder why it is so important for them to be the legal guardians of the son too.  Are there specific funds left to care for him that they want to get their hands on? 

amylouky

« Reply #916 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »
One of the articles I read said that she had said, through other family members, that she'd sell him the house if he bought it at that price.  Or something.  Not that she couldn't go back on it, I suppose.

I do hope it's not a big scam worked up between the two of them.

I wondered about that, too..  ???

Margo

« Reply #917 on: May 17, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »
I'm very curious about the POA - why couldn't grand-dad simply revoke it? and my understanding is that the holder of a POA has fiduciary duties and is required to act in the best interests of the donor.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #918 on: May 17, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
I'm very curious about the POA - why couldn't grand-dad simply revoke it? and my understanding is that the holder of a POA has fiduciary duties and is required to act in the best interests of the donor.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

I don’t doubt that there is more to this than meets the eye, but to not get too legal… according to the story I read, he did revoke it, but by the time he found out about the house transfer, a judge ruled the statute of limitations had passed for recovery.

I’m with MommyPenguin and amylouky… it seems to Jerry Springer-inspired to be real.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #919 on: May 17, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
Just got this one from a coworker whose e-mail was hacked. It was a bit fishy when the subject read "My Strip (sic) to Phillipines!!"

I'm writing this with tears in my eye, my family and I came down here to Manila, Philippines for a short vacation and got mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed, all our cash, credit card and Cell Phone were stolen off us at GUN POINT but luckily for us we still have our passports with us but don't have enough money to sort the bills so we can get out of here.

We've been to the embassy and the police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves soon but we're having problems settling the hotel bills, and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan, I promise I'll refund it once we get home.

I'm freaked out at the moment...

::)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #920 on: May 17, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
Gmail identified the notification for the above as a Suspicious Message. Well-done Gmail!
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

ACBNYC

« Reply #921 on: May 17, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Gmail identified the notification for the above as a Suspicious Message. Well-done Gmail!

I just came here to say the same thing! LOL

cwm

« Reply #922 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
Just got this one from a coworker whose e-mail was hacked. It was a bit fishy when the subject read "My Strip (sic) to Phillipines!!"

I'm writing this with tears in my eye, my family and I came down here to Manila, Philippines for a short vacation and got mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed, all our cash, credit card and Cell Phone were stolen off us at GUN POINT but luckily for us we still have our passports with us but don't have enough money to sort the bills so we can get out of here.

We've been to the embassy and the police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves soon but we're having problems settling the hotel bills, and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan, I promise I'll refund it once we get home.

Um, I would think with an email title like that, it might not be TOO hard to come up with the money back.  ::)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #923 on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »

Yes, because hotels don't ask for a credit card or deposit before you check in ::).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #924 on: May 17, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »

Please tell me the "(sic)" is from the original!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #925 on: May 17, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

Please tell me the "(sic)" is from the original!

Sorry, it isn't.  :(

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #926 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
Let me get this straight.  The person has no money, no credit cards and no cell phone.  The American Embassy is of no help.  May I ask how the message was sent?

This is a common scam aimed at senior citizens and we've gotten a few of these.  The scammer pretends to be a grandchild who is stuck in dire straits oversees and requires immediate money to get out of the fix. 

It is to laugh because we have no children, let alone grandchildren. 

Barney girl

« Reply #927 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »
I had a similar one of those this week, purporting to come from a client. I deleted it.
A colleague, who had the same email, printed it off and walked with it upstairs to my room to ask if this was the person we acted for x years ago. ::)

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #928 on: May 18, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
I got a similar one a few years go.

It was from DH saying he was stuck in Hong kong. I went up stares and asked him what he was doing in China.  ;)

We did have to contact all this contact list. The Email came from his email account which was hacked. At the time we were in Japan and a lot of our friends and family are Geographically challenged.

We did have one friend send us a message telling us how clever he had been. As soon as he saw the email he knew it was a scam because he remembered us saying we were not in the capitol of japan.  ??? :o ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #929 on: May 18, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
I don't get the scam of paying someone in a wheelchair to be a relative, just that your group can get to the front of the line at Disney. When my wheelchair-bound aunt visited us, we had to wait in line, and she was able to wait near the front of the line, but wasn't able to get on the ride until we caught up. Perhaps since then, the line-waiting policy changed.

At other amusement parks, I never saw a disabled person get to the front of the line without waiting.  I do not recall she was given boarding-first privileges to get on the airplane: I think she had to wait until everyone else boarded and then she and her care-taker were boarded. Made sense because she wouldn't hold up everyone getting on.

I have no problem with people with disabilities and babies being permitted to embark on planes first.

I wonder where Disneyland and Disney World got the idea that the disabled should be permitted to line jump? Because of the airlines' policy?