Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656462 times)

msmoose

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #930 on: May 18, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »

I wonder where Disneyland and Disney World got the idea that the disabled should be permitted to line jump? Because of the airlines' policy?

(snipping for space, just wanted it to be obvious what I was responding to)

There's not supposed to be any line jumping. The only way I've seen the cast members handle disabilities is by letting the disabled person (and other members of the party) wait closer to the ride in the shade while a non-disabled companion holds their place in the standby or fastpass line. They go when their companion gets to the front of the line, making it sometimes look like line-jumping. The official Disney site is a nightmare in Flamingvixen at least, but I did find this elsewhere: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disabmobility.htm#access. My understanding is that cast members do have a little bit of discretion to use in special circumstances, but it is not a frequent thing at all.

dawnfire

« Reply #931 on: May 18, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
I got a similar one a few years go.

It was from DH saying he was stuck in Hong kong. I went up stares and asked him what he was doing in China.  ;)

We did have to contact all this contact list. The Email came from his email account which was hacked. At the time we were in Japan and a lot of our friends and family are Geographically challenged.

We did have one friend send us a message telling us how clever he had been. As soon as he saw the email he knew it was a scam because he remembered us saying we were not in the capitol of japan.  ??? :o ;D

hubby got one not long ago from a business associate which said she was in London. we knew it wasn't true as he's just finished his online producer job with her which also involves streaming her radio show and video from her home studio, so we could see that she was at home.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #932 on: May 18, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
A lady with whom we shared a dinner table on a cruise ship had a wonderful story. 

On her way to work at about 7:45, she used a credit card to fuel her car. It was a corporate card and her employers were fine with this use. 

She was at work at 8:30 when she received a call from the card company. 

Did she spend XX.XX dollars at 7:45 in Y California?  Yes, she did.

Did she spend XXXXX.XX dollars in Tokyo at 8:00? She most certainly did not! 

The matter got straightened out but it was a rather shocking way to start the work day. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #933 on: May 18, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »
Got one today saying I needed to apply for a Sprint rebate.

I had no idea what Sprint was until DH told me.

doodlemor

« Reply #934 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
A lady with whom we shared a dinner table on a cruise ship had a wonderful story. 

On her way to work at about 7:45, she used a credit card to fuel her car. It was a corporate card and her employers were fine with this use. 

She was at work at 8:30 when she received a call from the card company. 

Did she spend XX.XX dollars at 7:45 in Y California?  Yes, she did.

Did she spend XXXXX.XX dollars in Tokyo at 8:00? She most certainly did not! 

The matter got straightened out but it was a rather shocking way to start the work day.

I spoke with an acquaintance several days ago who was annoyed to find that $4.17  had been charged to her credit card in Beijing.  The card rep that she spoke with asked her if she had been to China.  This was an early morning checking on the card call, and the rep was told bluntly that if acquaintance had been to China she would have had to spend much more than that amount.

The charge was removed from the account.  The acquaintance stated that she thinks that is how scams are done, that small amounts are charged first to see if anyone notices.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #935 on: May 18, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
^^^  But it's reassuring that at least some of the CC companies really are watching out for things that just don't make sense.  It's kind of comforting somehow.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #936 on: May 18, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »
Mine was used once for a child's movie ticket in Texas, purchased online. Small purchases, and using them online or at a gas pump are very common ways to test out the usability of a newly-stolen card or card #, I believe.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #937 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
Mine was used once for a child's movie ticket in Texas, purchased online. Small purchases, and using them online or at a gas pump are very common ways to test out the usability of a newly-stolen card or card #, I believe.
Yes.  Mine was used for a newspaper ad to sell the next purchase, an airline ticket to Saudi Arabia!  The credit card company flagged that one right away.  And really, that's a bit odd.  That was our travel card, so it had been used for other airline tickets and hotels and meals.  Wonder why that one in particular caught their attention?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

bloo

« Reply #938 on: May 19, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »
Yes.  Mine was used for a newspaper ad to sell the next purchase, an airline ticket to Saudi Arabia!  The credit card company flagged that one right away.  And really, that's a bit odd.  That was our travel card, so it had been used for other airline tickets and hotels and meals.  Wonder why that one in particular caught their attention?

It would be interesting to know! My guess is tracking software that analyzes where the purchase originates in comparison to other recent purchases. If a purchase originates out of Louisiana on the same day you bought gas in Los Angeles that might send up a flag.

When I went overseas a few years ago to the Philippines, I contacted my credit card company and explained what I was doing. They asked the dates of departure and return and offered to temporarily lower my limit while there (in case I managed to get my card stolen while there). I was still nervous, though, that MC would 'forget' about this and not let a charge go through while I was there. Fortunately I never needed to use my card.

weeblewobble

« Reply #939 on: May 19, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
I hate the PA digs when someone gets to do something they have planned and saved for. I hear that all the time and marginalize those who indulge in that behavior. We are replacing our 20 year old car, because I can't reliably count on it running well enough to commute in. I am spending my money and what the old car sells for to replace it with something 10 years old. I haven't told anyone because I don't want the gimme hounds starting.

I can't stand "Must be nice-" ers.  Because of course, as someone who works hard and saves for what you want, you haven't earned anything you have, you just fell in a big pile of luck that has been denied everybody else. My brother, Ted, is a chronic "Must be nice"-er. 

New car? (That you saved for two years for to replace the ten year old model you've driven since college.)

Must be nice.

New computer? (That you desperately need for freelance work and have put off buying until the tax return comes in.)

Must be nice.

New iPod?  (Your first ever, purchased with your own money.)

Must be nice.

I got sick of it when we got back from a vacation, paid for by carefully saved money from my freelance work, and Ted grumbled how it must be nice to be able to take fancy vacations all of the time. And DH told him, "You know what, Ted, it is really nice to be able to take a vacation ONCE A YEAR using the money that Weeble earned through her SECOND JOB.  You know, the job she has in addition to her full time job that keeps her from getting more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night? It is really, really nice."

Ted shut up pretty quick after that.  He only "must be nice"-es my sister now.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #940 on: May 19, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »

It would be interesting to know! My guess is tracking software that analyzes where the purchase originates in comparison to other recent purchases. If a purchase originates out of Louisiana on the same day you bought gas in Los Angeles that might send up a flag.

When I went overseas a few years ago to the Philippines, I contacted my credit card company and explained what I was doing. They asked the dates of departure and return and offered to temporarily lower my limit while there (in case I managed to get my card stolen while there). I was still nervous, though, that MC would 'forget' about this and not let a charge go through while I was there. Fortunately I never needed to use my card.
It can be really bad if they cancel the card automatically.  My sister just managed to escape that fate when she was at the bedside of her dying son.  (Cancer, at 48. :() Card company called her house, said the card must have been compromised because it was being used in both Oregon and California, and they were going to cancel it.  BIL managed to convince them otherwise, because having no card for meals and lodging was the last thing poor Sister needed.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

cwm

« Reply #941 on: May 20, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
Got some new good ones recently. My new "friend" (boyfriend's friend's wife, we pretty much go in the same circles) nannies children for a living, but in an area that's not near where my sister or her child's father live. My sister has a kid, but isn't in charge of childcare, the Sproglet's father does that. Also, New Friend (NF) has taken on other kids recently in her job.

NF wanted/needed a new carseat. Sis said she'd ask around, as she knew some people who had kids who were growing out of theirs. Well, the one person she asked would have been willing to part with it, except her sister just found out she's pregnant with twins, so now she's saving it for her sister.

NF is apparently mad at my sister (whom she's met only two or three times) because my sister promised her a carseat and then took it back. Also, because she's such a close family friend to me, she should get first crack at watching Sproglet. Except she can't drive to pick Sproglet up, and nobody can get her up to NF's place and still get to work on time. But she still expects Sis to go to her first and only weigh other options after she's tried her out.

Midge

« Reply #942 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
I hate the PA digs when someone gets to do something they have planned and saved for. I hear that all the time and marginalize those who indulge in that behavior. We are replacing our 20 year old car, because I can't reliably count on it running well enough to commute in. I am spending my money and what the old car sells for to replace it with something 10 years old. I haven't told anyone because I don't want the gimme hounds starting.

I can't stand "Must be nice-" ers.  Because of course, as someone who works hard and saves for what you want, you haven't earned anything you have, you just fell in a big pile of luck that has been denied everybody else. My brother, Ted, is a chronic "Must be nice"-er. 

New car? (That you saved for two years for to replace the ten year old model you've driven since college.)

Must be nice.

New computer? (That you desperately need for freelance work and have put off buying until the tax return comes in.)

Must be nice.

New iPod?  (Your first ever, purchased with your own money.)

Must be nice.

I got sick of it when we got back from a vacation, paid for by carefully saved money from my freelance work, and Ted grumbled how it must be nice to be able to take fancy vacations all of the time. And DH told him, "You know what, Ted, it is really nice to be able to take a vacation ONCE A YEAR using the money that Weeble earned through her SECOND JOB.  You know, the job she has in addition to her full time job that keeps her from getting more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night? It is really, really nice."

Ted shut up pretty quick after that.  He only "must be nice"-es my sister now.

So, my SIL is living a double life as a guy named Ted! Heh, good to know.

Yep, everything they have they've worked hard to get, deserve it, etc., etc. Everything we have has just been handed to us, apparently.

MrTango

« Reply #943 on: May 20, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

I imagine it going down a bit like this:
Steal a credit card, use it at a gas pump to put gas in your car.
A few days later, the local police (with full cooperation fom the gas station's owners) determine that the card in question was used at pump 3 at 2:13am.  Security cameras show a green Chevy with license plate 123-XYZ filling up at Pump 7 from 2:11 until 2:14am.

Police officer gets into his car, runs the plate and determines that the car is registered to Mr. John Doe at 123 Mainstreet, just a couple blocks from the station.  Officers goes to Mr. Doe's house and learns from Mr. Doe that Jack Doe (John's 17-year-old son) had the car that night and didn't get home until about 2:30am.  Mr. Doe says his son has been out of control lately and allows Officer to search Jack's room where the stolen credit card is located along with several different types of illicit drugs, fake IDs, and other stolen property.

Jack Doe returns home from another day of skipping school to find his father and a couple police officers waiting in the living room.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #944 on: May 20, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
My youngest sister, hereafter known as Leech, is the champion "must be nice" person. She works as a server in a restaurant, as she has for the past 14 years. The area where she is operates primarily on cash, so the tips get in her pocket the same day, and spent after work. At the end of the week, when she needs to buy groceries or pay bills, there is nothing left. She doesn't understand the connection there.

She just bought the newest Samsung phone, buys new purses weekly, eats out nearly every meal, etc. She is jealous that we have annual passes for Disney World, go on a few weekend trips a year, week long vacations, and that we don't have to borrow money from others to pay our bills.