Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 636270 times)

Pen^2

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #975 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:03 PM »
I used to live in a place that had a big problem with people of a certain religion going around and trying to convert people at all hours of the day. I'm talking 7am, 10pm, and so on. You could be leaving for work and walking to your car and they'd try to get between you and your vehicle while telling you about how wonderful the religion they represent is. There were women who would ask politely to use your phone for a moment, and once they were done, would take their time leaving so they could guide the conversation towards converting you. I can see how it sounds like a good idea to someone of that religion if they had absolutely no empathy or regard for other people, but other than that all it seems good for is swearing people off what they're trying to sell.

When it's happened to me and I'm aware they don't take no for an answer, I would pretend I didn't speak any recognisable human language. They'd give me a flier and leave quickly. Contacting their church was useless, since it was the church that was encouraging it all. Then once my husband (who is not white) answered the door and they fled and never returned  ::)

Where I live now, it is thankfully illegal to go around trying to convert people like that. You can have a temple for your religion and make information about it publicly available, but you ahve to wait for them to come to you. You can't go telling people who didn't ask, let alone have organised conversion door knocking going on. For the very first time in my life, I can walk around or even into a place of worship and not feel afraid of being assaulted by underhanded idiots trying to 'save' me.

SheltieMom

« Reply #976 on: May 23, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
Could we please leave the subject of religious groups? In my opinion, even if I don't believe their particular brand of beliefs, they are not, beggars, moochers or scammers, and at least in their own minds are trying to help the people they talk to. Their methods may be irritating, but I don't think they should be lumped into this category. And when name-calling gets started, we're likely to get this thread locked.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #977 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
Walking home from the shopping district I was stopped by a man in a dark coat, black woolly hat and scruffy jeans who ask me if I wanted to buy some perfume.  ???

I politely declined.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

heartmug

« Reply #978 on: May 23, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Walking home from the shopping district I was stopped by a man in a dark coat, black woolly hat and scruffy jeans who ask me if I wanted to buy some perfume.  ???

I politely declined.

But, why?   :P
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

lilfox

« Reply #979 on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
That reminded me, I was leaving a restaurant once with a box of leftover pizza.  We were on a busy street corner and I saw a guy who looked homeless, so i asked him if he wanted the pizza.  He happily accepted, and then immediately offered me a deal on some "gold" watches he had in his coat.  I declined.

I've also been approached by guys soliciting for various children's charities, with big binders of pics of sad looking kids.  I'm a sucker for children's causes, I am not a sucker for uncertified solicitors, so when they ask why I don't care about the kids, I tell them I do and I donate directl to charities.

Carotte

« Reply #980 on: May 23, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »

I politely declined.

But, why?   :P

heathmug is right, with no overhead like a brick and mortar store or an uniform, he must have really great prices!  ;)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #981 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
Come to think of it I was approached a couple of years ago by someone trying to sell me a gold chain in a car park.

I assumed it was either stolen or fake so said no and carried on walking.
NE England

Jones

« Reply #982 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
Geez, I had a guy approach me once to sell me (what looked like) a rat skull, but no gold involved! Yes I did get away from him quickly, why do you ask?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #983 on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
I am Twik, Scambuster!

A customer called today, wondering why a particular trade organization (let's call them International Bakers Association) was billing them for services although they were not bakers. I did a few minutes research and determined that this is a known scam, including an article about s rather amusing correspondence between a reporter and the ostensible IBA.

Feeling very smug.  :)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #984 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
Geez, I had a guy approach me once to sell me (what looked like) a rat skull, but no gold involved! Yes I did get away from him quickly, why do you ask?

Now, the rat skull might have interested me.  I'd love an articulated rat skeleton so that I could have the Death of Rats for Halloween.   :)

I stopped going to a particular shopping center partly because of a woman who sold perfume in the parking lot.  She wouldn't take "No" or even "I'm allergic" for an answer -- her reply to "I'm allergic" was "Buy the Giorgio, it's a light scent."   ::)  There are too many shopping centers around here for me to bother with that one.

paige =^..^=

• website
« Reply #985 on: May 23, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »

Could have attached it to the center of a hairbow?

Hmm.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #986 on: May 23, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »

Hmm.

Elmyra had a gerbil skull.   :P

Jones

« Reply #987 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »

Hmm.

Elmyra had a gerbil skull.   :P
I didn't ask what the rodent was...the guy stunk of alcohol and the sudden revelation of a tiny skull freaked me out, so I didn't ask  :P

jolyan

« Reply #988 on: May 24, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
I just got an email from George Jefferson. Apparently I have, or as it states my email, won 2.5 million dollars. I just need to contact their fidicial desk.

I guess I'm moving on up.

Pen^2

« Reply #989 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »
I keep getting emails from girls I've apparently had flings and one-night-stands with in places I've never visited, telling me that I got them pregnant (I'm female) and I owe them x years worth of child support, but if I only pay a small sum directly online then they'll forget all about it.

Or sometimes they just want me to add them on Facebook so they can sexily chat with me. Because nothing is more arousing than poorly scripted Java which only says one of six things.

I've replied to a few of the pregnancy ones with biology questions, and one actually attempted an answer before giving up. Some of the others, I just copy and paste and have them basically reply to each other.

The fact that they reply at all, and in ways that a computer could not, makes me wonder which sad soul does all this.