Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 714469 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
i'm deep into Craigslist rental scams now.  We're moving very soon and I'm checking Craigslist for rentals; lots of property management places use it.  The scammers will steal pictures from a legitimate listing, then put up their own listing using those pics but with a ridiculously low rent.  If you contact them, you'll get an email telling you how they don't live in the city any more (usually they're building houses for orphans or something similar) but they can tell you are a wonderful, honest person - so they'll send you the keys and you can move in as soon as you send them the rent and deposit.

They get reported and removed pretty quickly  but it's still aggravating; this finding a rental business is very stressful and this doesn't help at all.

Since we just bought this house I'm wondering if someone is going to show up and claim it's theirs.  Not that it's likely - we dealt with a very reputable real estate agent.  But who knows.

From what I have heard of this scam, it is not the real estate agent who pulls it, but some disinterested 3rd party.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
i'm deep into Craigslist rental scams now.  We're moving very soon and I'm checking Craigslist for rentals; lots of property management places use it.  The scammers will steal pictures from a legitimate listing, then put up their own listing using those pics but with a ridiculously low rent.  If you contact them, you'll get an email telling you how they don't live in the city any more (usually they're building houses for orphans or something similar) but they can tell you are a wonderful, honest person - so they'll send you the keys and you can move in as soon as you send them the rent and deposit.

They get reported and removed pretty quickly  but it's still aggravating; this finding a rental business is very stressful and this doesn't help at all.

Since we just bought this house I'm wondering if someone is going to show up and claim it's theirs.  Not that it's likely - we dealt with a very reputable real estate agent.  But who knows.

From what I have heard of this scam, it is not the real estate agent who pulls it, but some disinterested 3rd party.

Exactly - they pull pictures off of legit real estate listings, advertise it, take the deposit long-distance, and are in the wind by the time the renter discovers the scam.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
Usually it is a 3rd party but sometimes it is the RE agent or someone in their office.

We have been hit before by a no-name RE agent who rented out one of our apartments for us and wanted us to pay a commission to them. Never mind that we do not use RE agents and they had no right or permission to rent out our units. They also rented it to someone with a HUGE criminal record who was not happy with us when they found out they could not live here.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
When she realized the coworker (and, I realized later, her manager) were watching, she started laughing hysterically and said, ""Yeah, I took her $3.  She caught me.  I'm trying to steal a whopping $3 from her." as if I was unreasonable for wanting me measly bit of money back.
Yeah, but you shortchange every customer who comes through your till, and it can add up to quite a bit at the end of the week... ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
This may not technically be a scam, but I can't say it's honest.  I went to Target this weekend and saw a huge end-self full of "product" with large and small labels priced $2.50, yet the small print shows that price is for a different size which is nowhere to be found. 

There was also a label for $2.00 covering the regular price for potato chips.  But that price is for baked potato chips, yet the label is covering the price of the regular non-baked chips.

This happens frequently at this store and I have learned to read the labels and do self-scan before going to the checkout.  But it's really deceiving and I'm sure there are people who trust the sign or who can't read English.

Hobby Lobby does this, too. They'll have a product on sale, and the product comes in multiple sizes or varieties. So they'll set up an endcap with a big sign that says "Product 50% off" and in tiny little print "does not include variety X." Nine times out of ten the endcap behind the sign is filled with variety X, even though there are multiple other varieties that are on sale that could have been placed there. I've seen this with multiple things, which is why I'm saying "product" instead of whatever. I notice it most with candles. I've told the employees that I find that practice misleading, but nothing changed.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
This may not technically be a scam, but I can't say it's honest.  I went to Target this weekend and saw a huge end-self full of "product" with large and small labels priced $2.50, yet the small print shows that price is for a different size which is nowhere to be found. 

There was also a label for $2.00 covering the regular price for potato chips.  But that price is for baked potato chips, yet the label is covering the price of the regular non-baked chips.

This happens frequently at this store and I have learned to read the labels and do self-scan before going to the checkout.  But it's really deceiving and I'm sure there are people who trust the sign or who can't read English.

Hobby Lobby does this, too. They'll have a product on sale, and the product comes in multiple sizes or varieties. So they'll set up an endcap with a big sign that says "Product 50% off" and in tiny little print "does not include variety X." Nine times out of ten the endcap behind the sign is filled with variety X, even though there are multiple other varieties that are on sale that could have been placed there. I've seen this with multiple things, which is why I'm saying "product" instead of whatever. I notice it most with candles. I've told the employees that I find that practice misleading, but nothing changed.

I've had to argue with the Hobby Lobby cashier on more than one occasion over what is covered by the sale prices, too.  The sale will say "All [brand] beads and pendants" and the sign will be over a display of something that's reasonably interpreted as such (shaped metal beads, or pendant blanks) and the employee will try to tell me those items aren't covered by the sale.  One of several reasons I don't shop there anymore - it's just not worth the trouble.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #276 on: January 02, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »
Usually it is a 3rd party but sometimes it is the RE agent or someone in their office.

We have been hit before by a no-name RE agent who rented out one of our apartments for us and wanted us to pay a commission to them. Never mind that we do not use RE agents and they had no right or permission to rent out our units. They also rented it to someone with a HUGE criminal record who was not happy with us when they found out they could not live here.

How on earth does the RE person expect that to actually work???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #277 on: January 02, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »

How on earth does the RE person expect that to actually work???

They will have taken a non refundable processing fee from the potential tenant. So if they do get you to hand over the cash great, if not they are still making money. Very underhanded.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

weeblewobble

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
When she realized the coworker (and, I realized later, her manager) were watching, she started laughing hysterically and said, ""Yeah, I took her $3.  She caught me.  I'm trying to steal a whopping $3 from her." as if I was unreasonable for wanting me measly bit of money back.
Yeah, but you shortchange every customer who comes through your till, and it can add up to quite a bit at the end of the week... ::)

The "measly" was perceived on my part.  She made a few comments about I "must need a few bucks pretty bad" to make such a fuss over it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #279 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
We just got a Hobby Lobby in the area and so far I love it, and I like to look at the sign at the front of the stores to see what's on sale that week in the jewelry section so I know what to peruse.  When I went there this past Saturday, I was tickled to see that what I was there for (seed beads!) were 50% off, along with silver beads.  :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bloo

« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

The "measly" was perceived on my part.  She made a few comments about I "must need a few bucks pretty bad" to make such a fuss over it.

Off topic, but I remember being annoyed once when a cashier didn't give me back my penny.

A penny.

I've come to realize in my last few postings I'm somewhat territorial.

I've determined that if I was a dog, this is the type of dog I would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPNKI24LFs

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Iris

« Reply #281 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »

You know, I've never understood the stories you hear about customers demanding that workers be fired. I have always thought that they were massive overreactions. Not anymore. I am not so much amazed by her behaviour as by the fact that she continued to be rude in FRONT of her manager and the manager said nothing!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

weeblewobble

« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

You know, I've never understood the stories you hear about customers demanding that workers be fired. I have always thought that they were massive overreactions. Not anymore. I am not so much amazed by her behaviour as by the fact that she continued to be rude in FRONT of her manager and the manager said nothing!

It was such a downward spiraling meltdown that I don't think either of the other people in the drive-thru area knew HOW to react.  The change debacle, which ended in the rude attendant's coworker scrambling to open the drawer to hand me my change, was followed by Rude Attendant handing me my bag of food.  I checked the bag and saw my sandwich, so I pulled away, only to hear, "WAIT!"   Rude Attendant had put my sandwich on top of items that belonged in an order the other employee was putting together.  I had to hand my bag back to Rude Attendant so she could straighten it out. 

Rude Attendant shoved the bag toward me. I took it, without checking it (my fault), because I just wanted to get out of there.  The person, who I later realized was the manager, had this shocked, deer in headlights look on his face. Like he couldn't believe what he was seeing.  And when I got home, I realized that  Rude Attendant still ended up giving me the wrong bag.  I ended up with my sandwich, another sandwich, missing side items from my order, but with side items remaining from the other person's order. 

EMuir

« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
Moochers of the year 2012: my brother and his family.  They are continually claiming to be poor because they spend their money on things for themselves (constant ordering out because they don't want to cook, for instance).  None of them are able to hold a job for very long, partially because they all think they're the best thing since sliced bread and the world should fall and worship at their feet.

My mother gives them very nice Christmas gifts (usually cash actually).  They actually gave her a Christmas gift this year too... one of those cards that, if you use your store credit card, you get $10 per $100 spent put back on this gift card.  But you have to use it in a certain week and I'm sure you have to buy a minimum amount. But my brother is at least supposed to take Mom to the store to do this shopping.  We'll see. So it means they spent $200 at this department store on themselves and got her gift for free(that doesn't sell ANYTHING they couldn't have gotten way cheaper at Walmart).

Mom's birthday is near Christmas, and she decided to take brother and family out for dinner.  They suggested a steakhouse.  She assumed they'd all order appetizers to share (poor naive mom).  Brother and family all ordered steak and lobster.

And they didn't give Mom anything for her birthday.  Not a card even.

If I was still talking to my brother he'd get an earful.  As it is I am glad I was there to hug Mom when she cried afterwards.

Emmy

« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »

You want back the 'measly' $3 which is rightfully yours.  She is trying to steal the same 'measly' $3. 

I think she steals relatively small amounts from drive through customers because many of them take the money quickly and don't check it or they are in a rush and figure that amount of money won't break them so she can often get away with it.  It takes some nerve to act indignant that a customer would want their money back, no matter what the amount.  If she didn't get fired for that, I think it would be impossible to get fired from that restaurant.