Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 711298 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
I just got this in my inbox:

Good day,We have found your resume at a job board website and thought you as a prospective candidate.We have available employment opportunities at this moment that might suit you.In case of your interest we kindly ask you to reply us back at [email retracted] and i'll provide you with detailed information!Best Regards,[name retracted]

Oh yes, sure. "A" job board website.  No company name.  No job title specified.  A yahoo email contact. That sounds so legit.

(I am, in fact, looking for a job and registered with job boards.  I would expect an email from a potential employer to look a little more professional.)[/email]
[/color]

LazyDaisy

« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »

Good day,We have found your resume at a job board website and thought you as a prospective candidate.We have available employment opportunities at this moment that might suit you.In case of your interest we kindly ask you to reply us back at [email retracted] and i'll provide you with detailed information!Best Regards,[name retracted]

Oh yes, sure. "A" job board website.  No company name.  No job title specified.  A yahoo email contact. That sounds so legit.

(I am, in fact, looking for a job and registered with job boards.  I would expect an email from a potential employer to look a little more professional.)[/email]
[/color]

I get those too and I'm not registered with any job boards or looking for a job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Shalamar

« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
Julian, something like that happened to my husband and me once, only we were lucky - it wasn't a scam, or an attempt at a scam.  The limo driver saw that we were trying to flag down a cab and asked how much we'd normally pay for a taxi ride home from the airport.  We answered "$25.00."   Without hesitation, he said "I'll drive you for the same price."  We immediately took him up on it, and that's how much we paid.  At the time, smoking was still allowed in taxis, so it was heavenly to ride home in a comfortable non-smoky limo!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily think the limo was a scam either. A $25 fare is still better than a $0 fare as far as the driver is concerned. His face fell because he was hoping for more, but it wasn't like he grabbed your bags and held them hostage until you paid up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
I suspected he thought we were tourists rather than locals, so he could pad the bill.

There's a few fairly shonky limo and cab drivers back in old Home City, so that may have coloured our perception of him.  But I'm prepared to accept that I may be mistaken!   :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
I really don't like beggars who lie down in the middle of the main oath.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
And what about the ones who do it in the lesser curse!

(Cheeky grin)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »
Had an encounter with a moocher the other day. A friend is coming to stay from another state. I don't see her very often. She texted me last night to say that she had bumped into a friend on the plane and this friend didn't have the money for accommodation, even at a backpackers hostel. Did I have any ideas? I replied that I didn't, sorry.

But really, either this friend is an idiot or a liar. Who travels to another city by plane without money for accommodation? IMO she could afford it, but didn't want to. She didn't know she would bump into my friend so she couldn't rely on that. But having done so, she figured she could mooch on a third party. I'm sure I was expected to offer my spare bed, which I absolutely was not going to do.

Victoria

nuit93

« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »

[/color]

I used to get tons of those when I was job-hunting.  Very, very few of which were legitimate.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »

[/color]

I used to get tons of those when I was job-hunting.  Very, very few of which were legitimate.

What got me very suspicious is the complete lack of information in the email.  I'd at least expect "this is So-and-so from This Business, we're contacting you about X position."  Also, I expect a business who is striving enough to hire new workers to have its own email.  My ex has a very small one-person, home-based business and he has his own domain name with an attached email.

faithlessone

« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Also, I expect a business who is striving enough to hire new workers to have its own email.  My ex has a very small one-person, home-based business and he has his own domain name with an attached email.

It depends what sort of business, I think. I work for a building contractors, and we have a lot of subcontractors, including some small companies as well as individuals. More than one of these small companies (between 5 and 10 employees) has a hotmail "official" email address. One company we deal with (who are very professional in all other accounts), uses the personal email of the boss - which happens to be a very "frat boy" nickname, at AOL.

snowflake

« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
So what would you think of someone who was scamming in a "victimless" way?

I say this because I was reading the story of "Valerie" on the ehelldame's blog.  It touched a nerve for me because I know someone who has an obsession scamming people on the internet.  She doesn't accept donations, she keeps her stories sane and is pretty much never caught. 

Scammer is extremely intelligent and graduated summa cum laude from an Ivy League institution before getting her PhD at another top 10 university.  She has some social phobias and does contract work from home but spends maybe 1-4 hours a day working and the rest is spent on fake blogs (sometimes multiple) and message boards.  She creates stories that are heart wrenching, but not over-the-top.  She has always fantasized about being popular but her social phobias make it impossible. So she finds caring communities online and uses her way with words and written charm to become the center of attention.  But she knows when to stop (unlike some trolls I have known.) 

I caught her at this about 12 years ago.  She had taken a traumatic experience that had happened to a family member and blogged about it like it had happened to her.  I stumbled across it when a friend shared an "inspiring post."  I read the rest of the blog and recognized the writing style of Scammer plus some pictures she used.  I confronted her about it.  Scammer said that I didn't understand her deep needs and that she wasn't hurting anyone (in fact she was providing support to others.)  I informed the real victim of this blog and Real Victim chewed her out in the comments.  Scammer closed that blog and told her followers that a "blast from her past" who had never, never, believed her was bothering her and calling her a liar.  (Note: Scammer called Real Victim a liar initially when the trauma happened.)  Of course that brought on more support for Scammer.  Scammer did a clean job of overnight deleting and told her parents that Victim was making things up to be mean.  Currently Victim will not speak to Scammer and Scammer is acting like Victim is causing trouble for doing so.

For awhile it was a stupid fascination of mine.  Scammer has a distinctive writing style and uses some key phrases original to herself.  I would google those and was always uncovering a treasure trove of fake stories she was telling online.  She is a master at sucking people in.  She retold Victim's story but this time she was Victim's savior who got her therapy and medical attention while her whole family scoffed at her.  She told a story about how she was divorced after her husband beat her. (No husband.)  She joined a marathon training group where she was bouncing back after a bout with pneumonia (She never exercises and gets out of breath from walking a mile.)  She claimed to be a social worker who was the hero to countless families (she recycled a few of MY stories for this one which really made me mad.)  She pretended to be an ex-model who was taking on the fashion industry.  She also started blogging about the sexism in my family which is real, but most of the incidents recounted were absolutely wrong.  There are lots and lots of stories in which the males in my family have been discouraging to women who want an education and/or career.  BUT she didn't tell a single real story.  It was all about how her father had fully funded her brothers' education (not true) while telling her to get married instead (When she was engaged to some pond scum he was talking her out of it and telling her to finish school.) 

After a couple of years of trying to follow her, I quit because it's not like anyone would have listened to me about this and it was just making me bitter.  But from some comments on Facebook, it occurred to me that she is friends with some breast cancer survivors who seem to think she had it too.  WHAT????

She's not doing anything to them, right?  I'm not sure what it would do to call her out.  Calling her out IRL didn't change a thing.  But there is this little thing in the back of my head that worries that she MIGHT take it too far and start hurting vulnerable people.  Also, her income is not steady and she gets into fights with her employers so what if she decides to go pro?

I guess I shouldn't worry about it since I can't do a thing but part of me feels guilty that I'm just sitting back and letting it happen.

yokozbornak

« Reply #357 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
Snowflake, I have always chosen to look at the internet as for "entertainment purposes only".  The only time I try to say anything is if I think someone is trying to scam people for money (I actually posted a thread about this a few weeks ago).  One of my former favorite forums had so many incidents of scammers that I always try to be on my guard. 

There was the person who faked his wife and children's death in a car accident (definitely wanting money), those who faked illnesses, those who faked glamorous lifestyles (one going so far as to arrange a huge meet-up with many of her forum buddies at a very expensive location and then never showing up), those who faked generosity and kindess (like the one who pretended to be a foster parent to many troubled teens), and so forth and so on.  They are all looking for something whether it's cash or validation.  I even think some of them are just flexing their creative writing muscles. 

Hillia

« Reply #358 on: January 17, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
Had an encounter with a moocher the other day. A friend is coming to stay from another state. I don't see her very often. She texted me last night to say that she had bumped into a friend on the plane and this friend didn't have the money for accommodation, even at a backpackers hostel. Did I have any ideas? I replied that I didn't, sorry.

But really, either this friend is an idiot or a liar. Who travels to another city by plane without money for accommodation? IMO she could afford it, but didn't want to. She didn't know she would bump into my friend so she couldn't rely on that. But having done so, she figured she could mooch on a third party. I'm sure I was expected to offer my spare bed, which I absolutely was not going to do.

who does this?  DH's cousin.  He met a very sweet, somewhat naive and sheltered girl online and invited himself to stay with her family (she lived with her parents) for two weeks over Christmas.  He showed up with about 10 dollars and took total advantage of the family's unwillingness to throw him out on the street 1500 miles from home.  And he still doesn't understand that he did anything wrong.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Otterpop

« Reply #359 on: January 17, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
My DH was adopted by his aunt when he was an infant.  He has one bio-sister still alive that we know of.

I connected with her at their grandfather's funeral and gave her my home number.  DH, who didn't know her at all (very secretive family) cautioned me and said "No address."  We met her once at a park and exchanged pictures, family health information, who's related to whom etc.

After that, I'd get a call once a month with some tale of woe about how she was being evicted from her apartment, couldn't pay the light bill, needed money for her kids teeth and on and on.  I just kept referring her to the social programs I know about (worked in the industry) that might be able to help her.

The last call she out and out asked me to pay a bill for her because "I was rich." ::)  Not really.  I said I was unemployed (self-employed really), DH is sole provider, we are raising 2 kids, and I don't loan out money.  Then I stopped answering her phone calls and let them pile up on our answering machine.  Don't know when this will end.  I was warned...