News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 02:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2577445 times)

Louie_LI

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
just heard this one the other day -  a co worker and i were kvetching about our aging parents etc and he said how you have to be so careful that they don't fall for scams. he told me that his sister works in an assisted living place with full 24/7 nurse coverage and emergency buttons in each unit that connected to their own medical team.
My parents are in such a facility.  The emergency calls are pullchains, hanging on the wall.  If a resident falls and breaks a hip or some such other emergency, they may not be able to reach the emergency signal.

I was very impressed with arrangements I saw once (Italy, I think). In the handicapped bathroom, the emergency cord went down the wall, to just above the floor level, then all away around the room. If you fell in there and couldn't get up, you would always be able to reach the emergency alarm cord.

asb8

« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »
Can someone tell me if this sounds like a scam?  I'm legitamately asking.

I posted an ad on craig's list as part of my quest to find some babysitting jobs to supplement my income.  I've been emailing a family that moving to my area next month and everything seemed okay until now.

The father mentioned that he wants to send me certified check to pay for some furniture he has ordered and to compensate me for my time running the errand.  I would have to cash the check at my bank.

My hinky-meter just went off big time.  Does this sound like I'm about to get scammed?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »
YES!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

asb8

« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
Thank you both very much.  I'll delete the emails and block his address.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »

I posted an ad on craig's list as part of my quest to find some babysitting jobs to supplement my income.  I've been emailing a family that moving to my area next month and everything seemed okay until now.

The father mentioned that he wants to send me certified check to pay for some furniture he has ordered and to compensate me for my time running the errand.  I would have to cash the check at my bank.

My hinky-meter just went off big time.  Does this sound like I'm about to get scammed?

I don't ship anything that I offer for sale on Craigslist - cash only and local delivery or meet them in person.  Because even PayPal transfers have been "spoofed" when I've been asked if I would do that....and PayPal shut them down every time I've reported the spoofs to them (they don't like it when people fake things from them).

I don't take money orders or checks, either.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gramma dishes

« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
Thank you both very much.  I'll delete the emails and block his address.

Smart move!! 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
I admin a hobby-specific sale/trade page on Facebook, and have noticed a huge increase in scammers since hitting the 1,000+ member mark. Most of them post very obvious scam sites for shoes. Do people actually click on these??

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »

It's a scam. 

Otterpop

« Reply #384 on: January 29, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »

It's a scam.

Yes, the certified check will turn out to be fake, and you will be on the hook for any money paid out of your account. 

I was recently e-mailed by an overseas "doctor" who is relocating and wants to rent our vacant, advertised condo.  He said he'd send a certified check for several months rent + deposit and also an overage for some furniture to be delivered.  I looked up "rental scams" on Google and it said several people have been cheated out of money when the "doctor" backs out of the deal.  It takes 21 days for the bank to clear the check or find out it is fake.  If you spend anything, you have to give the bank back that amount.  Meanwhile the contact and the refund disappears into the wind.  (I told the "doctor" I only deal in cash with people I can meet, and I'd need a credit check)

Don't fall for it.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
I remember the first time I saw a phishing email (which was probably before the term phishing had actually been coined). The whole office (five or six of us) all crowded round my screen to look at this email. All of us going "Does anyone here actually bank with SomeBankName? No? Why are they sending us an email?" We came the conclusion it was a scam and I deleted it, but for the rest of the afternoon we were all a bit perplexed.

Then a few more of the darn things turned up and phishing was coined and things suddenly started making sense again!

I've never had the Windows scam, but my mother's copped for the phone call a few times. The last time of which, the caller was saying "I'm looking at your computer and you have a virus" to which my mother's response was "That's impressive; my computer's unplugged at the moment..."

Lastly, here's a new one for the thread: "I'm ringing you about your car accident."
I've had two or three of these, where someone opens the conversation with those words. My immediate response is generally, "What car accident?" So far, I've yet to have anyone argue the point with me so I'm still not entirely sure what the scam is, but it's all rather strange...

Twik

« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
Our company once got tangentially involved in a VERY poorly done scam.

We started getting phone calls from Australia, from people who had been sent letters they had won a house, and just needed to make "arrangements" to get the title. The number given to call had a Canadian area code, but it didn't exist. Based on the name of the company supposedly running the giveaway, Information would send the people to us. Some of them were very disappointed to learn that no, no house available.

What idiots come up with a scam like that, and can't even remember to put down the right telephone number? At least, we saved some people a lot of money, I'm sure.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

squashedfrog

« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
I've had the ringing about your car accident call quite a few times. And one time the guy did argue with me for some time about whether or not I'd been in a car accident as "his records clearly showed I had been and was entitled to compensation". I realised his company must have bought my details from my insurance firm, after id backed out of a car park space at two miles an hour and accidently dented the wheel arch of the empty car in the next booth. For some reason he was trying to tell me I could sue the other driver (?) for my injuries (?). Wow. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
The "your car accident" reminds me of this one.

My driveway is very narrow. One day I wasn't paying enough attention and I hit a fence post and wound up with a dented & scraped front fender. About a week later, I found a note on my windshield.

It said something like this:
My grandmother's car was parked in your neighborhood and was seriously damaged by a hit and un driver. I've been looking all over and I saw your car. The damage on your car is obviously from hitting my grandmother's car. I took a paint scraping from grandmother's car to a car dealer who said it's from [my make,model, and color.]

[Rant and rabble about how only a low life would do a hit & run]. If you don't call me by such & such a date, I'm going to notify the police.

I called my insurance agent right away, who told me that it was a pure scam. Maybe I did hit another car and maybe it was a hit & run. Naturally, I'll pay "grandma" rather than have the police brought in.

I decided to explore it, just for the heck of it. I called the number and got a very sleepy guy. When I told him that he needed to call my insurance agent and put in a claim, he made some scrabble-ish suggestions and hung up.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
I've gotten phone calls, supposedly from a bank, "because we are very concerned about the amount of interest you have on your credit card balance."  ...

LOL!  Maybe that's the problem!  You don't have ANY interest on your credit card balance and gosh darn it!!  They want you to have some  -- not just "some", but LOTS.  They're not making any money off of you!   ;D