News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 01:00:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2579329 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »
My guess is that he got into your Amazon.com account, but didn't have your credit card number.  Amazon makes you re-enter the number if you ship anywhere you haven't shipped before, but it stores your card number (without displaying it) and lets you ship to your home without needing to put anything in again.  It's still helpful from a scammer standpoint, but my guess is that the scammer had intentions of getting free stuff from your card and didn't realize until checkout that he couldn't make it ship anywhere he could get it.

But, I've never ordered from Apple.com.

Bah, I read Apple as Amazon.  Never mind!

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
After all, if someone is going to steal your identity, they'll be having a bit more fun with it than a charitable contribution, a bottle of wine and a used book. 

I had a similar reaction when my own bank froze my debit card AND my credit card, for "suspicious activity" -- which consisted of $50 worth of t-shirts purchased at Death Valley.

Because, of course, the first thing one does after stealing a card number is run to Death Valley and buy t-shirts!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
I've had my bank call me when I've been overseas due to the cards being used there.  Yeah, by me!   :D

These days I call them before I go away.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Iris

« Reply #408 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:58 AM »
After all, if someone is going to steal your identity, they'll be having a bit more fun with it than a charitable contribution, a bottle of wine and a used book. 

I had a similar reaction when my own bank froze my debit card AND my credit card, for "suspicious activity" -- which consisted of $50 worth of t-shirts purchased at Death Valley.

Because, of course, the first thing one does after stealing a card number is run to Death Valley and buy t-shirts!

Our CC company picked up a scam based on a round of drinks -in another country. According to the nice lady who stopped the nasty thieves, scammers often make a small test purchase with the card before they go for the big stuff.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:11 AM »

I can actually beat both of those. My CC number got ripped off by someone in (I think) New Hampshire (or it might have been Vermont...somewhere up there, anyway). My bank didn't catch it, I did - when I (apparently) bought $20 worth of...

*drumroll please*

...toothpaste.

Yup.

My credit card was stolen to buy toothpaste.

(I am aware that what they were doing was doing a small transaction to test the card before launching into something bigger, but still, toothpaste?!)

I will say that it gave the girl in my bank's fraud department a good giggle to start her week with, though!

o_gal

« Reply #410 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »
I've had my bank call me when I've been overseas due to the cards being used there.  Yeah, by me!   :D

These days I call them before I go away.

I posted this in the brain hurt thread - sometimes it doesn't help to call them before hand.

We went to France for vacation in 2010. Before going, I called my credit card companies and told them I would be in France between A and B dates and would be using the credit cards. Then I reserved hotel rooms in Paris for dates A through X, and then we would be out in the countryside, then again for date B. No problems reserving.

We go on vacation, have an awesome time, fly back to US, then 2 days later I try to use 1 of the credit cards and it's denied. I call them up and have this conversation.

Me: Hi, my credit card was denied, can you tell me why?
Rep: We show that you used the card out of the country.
Me: Yes, that's why I called you before to let you know and note it in my file.
Rep: We attempted to contact you to confirm the transaction (note: they flagged the second hotel stay as suspicious)
Me: But you called my home number.
Rep: Yes, that's what we have on file.
Me: So let me get this straight. I call you to tell you I will be in France on these dates, and I will be using the credit card - in France. You supposedly note this in my file. Then when I do use the card in France, you don't look at the notes and instead call me at home, in the US, to confirm a transaction, when I am *in France*, as I told you I would be.
Rep: Oh.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #411 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
The time our credit card number was stolen, it was used to buy a $1k airplane ticket on United Emirates Airline, or something like that.  Usually mine is really good about calling us for stuff that *does* sound weird... buying thousands of dollars of LEGOs, for instance.  (We're collectors.)  We've also had *them* lose our number a few times, when they had a security breech, so we've gotten new numbers a bunch of times.  It's always annoying to have to memorize a new number.  I also triggered it once by buying a baby pool.  I went to a grocery store that is sort of like a super Walmart, sells tons of other stuff besides groceries.  I wanted to buy the kids a plastic baby pool, which was under $10.  I didn't want to have to carry it around the store, or try to manage it plus a full cart of groceries, so I bought it first, took it out to the car, then bought the groceries.  But the small charge of $7 and then the big $200 charge of groceries at the same store set off the trigger.   Bah.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Luci

« Reply #412 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »

I can actually beat both of those. My CC number got ripped off by someone in (I think) New Hampshire (or it might have been Vermont...somewhere up there, anyway). My bank didn't catch it, I did - when I (apparently) bought $20 worth of...

...toothpaste.

How do you know what it was spent on? My statement always just gives the date of purchase, date of posting, and store or billing agent. Charitable donations are obvious.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #413 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
I've had my card numbers stolen twice. Neither time had large transactions run up. The first time, they bought, among a couple other small purchases, a subscription to Ebony Magazine.  ??? The second time it was something like three smallish transactions to Walgreens. (It was somewhere around $60-80 total.) My credit card company covered it, but I've always wondered if someone was desperate for medicine and they stole my card to pay for it.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

...toothpaste.

How do you know what it was spent on? My statement always just gives the date of purchase, date of posting, and store or billing agent. Charitable donations are obvious.

The merchant was a Dental Practice. I can't imagine there's all that much you can get at a dentist for $20 other than toothpaste, mouthwash and brushes (and if American dentistry IS that cheap, I'm emigrating immediately!)

It was bizarre.

jane7166

« Reply #415 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
DH and I have had our CC numbers stolen twice.  Once it was used in Japan while we were at home in the US and once DH used his at a Lowe's and 20 minutes later, it was declined at a Kroger.  Seems it was used at a Walmart 1000 miles away in between those 2 purchases. 

Nothing was more annoying than having DH's corporate Amex denied at a restaurant.  I had a MasterCard so I paid.  We got home and DH called the Amex rep the next day.  Seems that, when DH had called them a few days earlier to alert them that we were making a big purchase on the Amex (around $7,000) the clerk helpfully canceled the card. 

Yes, it was a corporate card but DH was allowed to put personal purchases on the card at that time, as long as they were paid off each month, as we did.  That policy did change because other employees didn't pay off their stuff. 

We wondered what was the point of warning them we were going to use the card if that would be the response. 

Giggity

« Reply #416 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »

...toothpaste.

The merchant was a Dental Practice. I can't imagine there's all that much you can get at a dentist for $20 other than toothpaste, mouthwash and brushes (and if American dentistry IS that cheap, I'm emigrating immediately!)

It was bizarre.

In America, $20 is the general co-pay for an appointment. That's what the patient pays up front. So your credit card helped someone have nice teeth.

For what that's worth, the jerk. (Mine got stolen last week and used to buy perfume. Not even nice perfume.)
Words mean things.

wheeitsme

« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
I check my ccard on online regularly, and I encourage others to, as well.

Especially since the $5 for water at a Macy's in Texas, then later that day a slice of pizza in NY city, then later over $200 worth of groceries in the Philippines. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
As my old card was expiring, Discover sent me a new card - same #, new expiration date. I got the new card and activated it. A week or so later, I notice an odd charge on my account - turns out to be a movie theater in Texas (I'm in Colorado, and haven't been to Texas since the 1990s, and never to the town in question). So I call Discover, who suggests I call the theater - I do, leave a message, get a call back a day later - manager is able to pull up the transaction based on my CC number, and found it had been used online to buy a kid's ticket, and another wholly different number had been used to do the same thing within moments of the transaction on my card - and they'd used my old card, with the old expiration date (which I still have in my pocket, actually - need to go use the office shredder on that one).

The theater manager issued a refund, and there's been no other odd activity on my account. A bit odd.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Luci

« Reply #419 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
I've had issues with my Bank of Montreal Mastercard at least five times over the last three years.  For a couple of those times, my number was stolen and someone tried to buy stuff.  Okay, that happens.  For the other times, though, there's been a "security breach" and "for your safety, we're sending you another card."   That's super annoying because of all the various automatic payments I've got set up with the old, now-useless card number. 

But wait, it gets better.  I got a call from them just before Christmas, once again with the "security breach" "new card" stuff.  I waited for the new card to arrive, and it never did.  I called the bank, and they said "Well, it's only been two weeks.  Give it another week."  I did - in fact, it's been more like a month.  No new card.  (Fortunately, I watch my statement like a hawk, and I haven't seen any unauthorized transactions.)   All I can think is that someone stole the new card, but without the ability to authorize it from my home phone, they've got a piece of plastic that's good for a bookmark and nothing else.

Are you planning to change credit cards soon? I keep three - one for most purchases that we get free gasoline with, #2 with the same company as a backup in case some goes wonky with the first one (like lost or stolen or it's stopped for some other reason), and #3 for online purchases only with a different company. It works quite well.

I did drop a card serveral years ago because there were constant issues, such as you describe and not always making any sense to me.

Also, old credit cards a good for scaping dishes  :) (Of course I know they must be destroyed!)