News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2577330 times)

Jones

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »
A little over a year ago I was checking my account and noticed something odd; a set-up charge for a dating service on my credit card number, dated the same day I was checking my account, so only a couple hours old.

I went to a bank with a printout of the transaction and asked them to reverse it, stated it was fraudulent. Several bored female tellers gave me the "Oh, honey," look, and I had to point out that my husband had a different card number from me and I should know if I was re-entering the dating world. It was reversed and a new card issued. Nothing more happened.

Constant vigilance! Not just for wizards.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #421 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
Once a guy called me to talk to me about extending the warranty on my Honda.

Me: You have the wrong number, I don't have a Honda.
Him: Oh, what kind of car do you have now? I'll just update your records!
Me: I've never owned a Honda. I'm sorry, you have the wrong number. *click*

Chances are good if he kept calling different phone numbers, he'd get *someone* who had a Honda that was running out of warranty!

pixel dust

« Reply #422 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
My husband (who's out of the country on business) keeps getting call to our home number (which we never use) from a mortgage place. We rent. We've always rented. We've never owned a home, ever.

Twice now I've answered and told them we rent and twice they mumbled something about being "taken off a list".

::)

magicdomino

« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Also, old credit cards a good for scaping dishes  :) (Of course I know they must be destroyed!)

Old credit cards are also good for scraping ice off of a windshield.  New credit cards work too, but you may have to retire them to Internet purchases only.  Apparently, scraping ice doesn't do the magnetic strip a lot of good.   :-\

I've had mystery charges on credit cards twice.  One was definitely fraudulent, as someone bought a cell phone in another city.  The other was a company in England.  I do a fair amount of Internet business, and sometimes the name on the bill is different from the company that I ordered from.  The England charge might have been legitimate.  I challenged it with the credit card company, and cancelled the card anyway.  Since no one complained, I guess it was fraudulent after all.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
We've had our debit card stolen once and our debit card number stolen once. First time, the actual physical card was stolen. DH had taken the kids trick or treating and drove them to the other end of our neighborhood in the van. The battery was going dead on our remote and when he clicked the button, the door didn't lock. My purse was in the front seat and someone helped themselves to the card. Thankfully they missed the envelopes full of cash.

The second time, we were traveling and stopped to buy some snacks. Card wouldn't go through. YDS is autistic and did not understand that he had to wait for his Lunchable and was having a meltdown. We called the bank and they told us that they'd frozen our account because there had been about $300 of charges at overseas stores. I can't remember exactly what they were for, but it was something like sporting goods, stereo speakers and custom shoes. Thankfully they realized it was fraudulent (although they forgot to reverse the international fees, so DH had to go in and get those done in person, but it was easy) and we had our money back right away.

NyaChan

« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
I stopped to get gas in the "bad" part of town  ::) back home and dropped my card without noticing.  I made it home when I received a phone call from a police officer letting me know that a little boy had picked it up, gone into the station and tried to buy candy with it.  The store worker took the card and then questioned the boy, who ran off & then called the cops to turn it in.  The very nice police officer met me by the library to return my credit card & and I was very very grateful that I didn't have to tell my dad that all of our Discover cards needed to be tossed.

Thipu1

« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
A woman with whom we had lunch on a ship had a great story. 

She lived in California.  On her way to work, she used a corporate credit card to buy gas.  This was fine with her employer. 

When she got to work she found a voice mail from the credit card company and immediately responded. 

At 7:30 did she purchase fuel from X service station in Y California?  Yes, she did.

At 8:00 did she purchase $2000 of goodies from Z shop in Tokyo?  No, she most certainly did not. 

Sometimes, credit card companies do get things right.  Neither she nor her employer were charged.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
Nyachan's story reminded me of one a few years back. 

We had a thief at work.  Never did find out who it was.

The thief got into a junior doctor's locker and took his wallet.  Doc was in operating theatre working, so he was unaware of the theft, till he got a phone call from Sgt So-and-so from Local Police Station.  His wallet had been found, intact, and was at the station waiting for collection.  Phew, lucky, hey?  No need to cancel cards now, huh?

So junior doc trundles off to the local police station, where there was no Sgt So-and-so and no wallet.  Thief, meanwhile, had a fabulous time maxxing out his cards.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
Oh that is just evil!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
A long time ago, somebody stole a check from my checkbook at Costco.  They wrote it for about $1300 worth of stuff, using a special business code that only an employee would know to use to get it OK'd without a manager's signature.  The only reason we didn't get dinged for it was we had less than that in the account, and it bounced.  When we disputed it (since I KNEW I'd only spent $150 that day, let alone we didn't have a business account), the bank talked to Costco and put it in their hands.  We had to close the account and call everybody and tell them that we'd be writing them a new check, and why, and I don't know if Costco ever found out which employee did the deed and bought a lot of high end sports equipment on our check...  We ended up not being out a penny, so that worked out well, aside from the huge nuisance of it all.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Jules1980

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
A woman with whom we had lunch on a ship had a great story. 

She lived in California.  On her way to work, she used a corporate credit card to buy gas.  This was fine with her employer. 

When she got to work she found a voice mail from the credit card company and immediately responded. 

At 7:30 did she purchase fuel from X service station in Y California?  Yes, she did.

At 8:00 did she purchase $2000 of goodies from Z shop in Tokyo?  No, she most certainly did not. 

Sometimes, credit card companies do get things right.  Neither she nor her employer were charged.

When my ex was overseas in the military, I would get lots of calls like this because the PX and other 'shops' would run his debit card and the charges would show up as whereever the store's homebase was. 

So I might get a call because I bought gas in Louisiana, then later that day (but not long enough to travel any real distance) our account would ping for Dallas, Texas (PX) then 20 minutes later in New York City (commisary), then ten minutes later in California (some fast food place).  I must have explained it a million times, but I was still glad they did it just on the off chance that one of our cards was stolen.

ACBNYC

« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »
A long time ago, somebody stole a check from my checkbook at Costco.  They wrote it for about $1300 worth of stuff, using a special business code that only an employee would know to use to get it OK'd without a manager's signature.  The only reason we didn't get dinged for it was we had less than that in the account, and it bounced.  When we disputed it (since I KNEW I'd only spent $150 that day, let alone we didn't have a business account), the bank talked to Costco and put it in their hands.  We had to close the account and call everybody and tell them that we'd be writing them a new check, and why, and I don't know if Costco ever found out which employee did the deed and bought a lot of high end sports equipment on our check...  We ended up not being out a penny, so that worked out well, aside from the huge nuisance of it all.

I had a purse stolen, oh, probably twelve years ago now. They took my checkbook and wrote a bunch of checks--KMart and Best Buy are the two I remember--for thousands. They also used one of my credit cards but for much smaller purchases at a gas station and Macy's. I didn't have to pay anything. Even better, one of the retailers sent a collection agency after me (and I'd already shown them the notarized bank letter stating that I was not responsible for payment). The demand letter contained a threat, which is illegal under the Fair Debt Collections Act. My best friend was a consumer rights lawyer. He contacted the collection agency, and the guy called him and settled immediately. So I ended up *making* money---over $1,000--from the whole thing. That was the great part, but it was still an unbelievable hassle to clear my name.

Twik

« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
I got a phone call from my credit card company one Saturday afternoon, asking me if I'd just ordered $15,000 of diamond jewelry online from Macy's.  :o

They weren't the brightest candles in the bunch. Since it was an online order, Macy's didn't ship the goods until they'd confirmed it with my credit card company. Buying some smaller stuff in person would have been better.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Carotte

« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »

I had a purse stolen, oh, probably twelve years ago now. They took my checkbook and wrote a bunch of checks--KMart and Best Buy are the two I remember--for thousands.

Don't retailers require ID for such large sums? Here you have to show something like two proof of ID for a check over 100 (something like 140$

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »
They do, but they don't look real well at the ID most times.  For several years, I didn't look at all like my ID picture - I had lost 200 pounds and cut and dyed my hair.  ONE person commented.  For two years, the address on my ID didn't match the address on my checks - I'd moved, and instead of getting a new license, I got the paper change of address add on.  No one ever commented or asked for that second form.

So it was kind of eye opening on how little having an ID check matters.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.