News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 03:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2578837 times)

ACBNYC

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Either they weren't looking--my wallet had my ID in it, so they had an ID that matched the name--, they didn't look at all, or they the retail cashiers were friends of theirs who would put fraudulent transactions through.  >:(

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
I had just opened a checking account and was waiting on the first box of checks to be delivered.   I discovered that someone had stolen the box of checks when I checked the balance over the phone.  They only had written a few checks, one for a magazine that was subsequently delivered to my house.

Thipu1

« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
Credit card companies do get it right sometimes. 

For a while, a CW was living in NYC, interviewing for a job in the UK and visiting inlaws in Scandanavia for several weeks at a time.  this resulted in a number of charges that could legitimately be regarded as 'suspicious'. 

She was overseas at the time the call came to our office but I was able to explain the situation to the lady from the credit card company.   

siamesecat2965

« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
My dad had one of his cc's used frauduletnly, shortly after he and my mom moved from NJ to VA.  They used to have one gas cc, and paid it off every month.  my dad was meticulous about paying bills, and had everything in spreadsheets. So one day he realizes he hasnít seen a bill from said gas company. So he calls. They tell him, oh, Mr. Siamesecat, we sent the bill to the NEW address, the one in Brooklyn you changed your account to, when you added a third card to the account!

He was none too pleased since he hadnít done that, nor had added a third card, but he was especially displeased that they couldnít say exactly how or why an additional card had been added to the account!  This was about 8 years ago, when gas prices were just starting to rise, and there was already several hundred dollars in unauthorized charges. Since they couldnít explain to his satisfaction, he cancelled the account then and there. And later on, there were more charges for the stuff you can buy off the bill inserts. He wasnít responsible for any of the charges, but he also wasnít happy with their lax security when it came to customer accounts.

My guess is it was an inside job, or someone copied his card # when he bought gas, and was able to use that to add the extra card.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
I forget how it happened, but my next door neighbor had her wallet stolen without her knowledge. She found out an hour or so later when she got a call from a store. A man & a woman were trying to buy something with her credit card. The woman presented my neighbor's drivers license as ID.

The store clerk didn't have much trouble noticing that the person presenting the credit card didn't look anything like the person in the drivers license photo. Different hair color, eye color, height, face, and, oh yes, one had very dark skin; the other was extremely pale. Apparently the thief hadn't bothered to see if she could get away with the license, or perhaps thought the clerk wouldn't notice.

The store called the police, but also called my neighbor. The store was able to stall the thieves until the police showed up.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

lilfox

« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
This wasn't a scam, but I'm not sure what was going on - a reverse scam?

I got a call from a company, I think it was Macy's, following up about an expensive purchase and asking me to confirm it was legit.  The call was to my home number, asking for me by name, but the credit card number being used wasn't one of mine.  (The rep read the type of card and last 4 digits and I knew it didn't match any of my cards)  The only thing I could think was that someone tried to order me a surprise gift but given the expense, type of item, and time of year, that was very, very unlikely.

I had them cancel the transaction.  I figured whoever really ordered it wouldn't receive it anyway, so might as well save them (and me) the trouble of following up on a lost delivery.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

I got a call from a company, I think it was Macy's, following up about an expensive purchase and asking me to confirm it was legit.  The call was to my home number, asking for me by name, but the credit card number being used wasn't one of mine.  (The rep read the type of card and last 4 digits and I knew it didn't match any of my cards)  The only thing I could think was that someone tried to order me a surprise gift but given the expense, type of item, and time of year, that was very, very unlikely.

I had them cancel the transaction.  I figured whoever really ordered it wouldn't receive it anyway, so might as well save them (and me) the trouble of following up on a lost delivery.

I would check your credit report if I were you to make sure that no one has opened a new credit card in your name.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." ó Douglas Adams

Yvaine

« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »

I would check your credit report if I were you to make sure that no one has opened a new credit card in your name.

I'm also curious whether they have another customer with the exact same name and have gotten their wires crossed.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »

I'm also curious whether they have another customer with the exact same name and have gotten their wires crossed.

Or contact info - my parents used to have a Discover card (but cancelled it a while ago), as I currently do, and for some time, every time Discover wanted to talk to me about something, they called my parents home number. This was in 2009-ish, and I hadn't lived with Mom & Dad since about 1997. Took several tries to get that sorted out.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #444 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

For a while, a CW was living in NYC, interviewing for a job in the UK and visiting inlaws in Scandanavia for several weeks at a time.  this resulted in a number of charges that could legitimately be regarded as 'suspicious'. 

She was overseas at the time the call came to our office but I was able to explain the situation to the lady from the credit card company.
And how did the credit card lady know that it wasn't YOU playing fast and loose with CW's credit card?  We know that you weren't, but Credit Card Lady taking the word of a co-worker doesn't seem quite kosher.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »

They talked to you about your co-worker's account?  Wow.  Not a cc company I'd want to do business with, no matter that it worked to her advantage that time.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

They talked to you about your co-worker's account?  Wow.  Not a cc company I'd want to do business with, no matter that it worked to her advantage that time.

I'm wondering if it might have been a business card that could ALSO be used for personal expenses, as long as the employee paid all the personal charges every billing period (so that the business didn't have to pay any interest). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

snowfire

« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
If the phone call about the suspicious CC activity came to Thipu1's office, it probably was a company card.  Phone number on a personal card would have gone to a home phone.

sunnygirl

« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
I once received a piece of mail to my address, but some random name, thanking me for my purchase of a mobile phone and welcoming me to that particular network (I didn't open it, it was one of those things where the papers are encased in clear plastic). I never got any bills, so I have no idea why someone would buy a phone and give a fake address. I kept getting statements from the phone company so obviously they were paying the bill.

On the other hand, once when I was very sick I did something extremely stupid and left a cc in the card reader in a shop in Heathrow airport, on my way to Iceland. Didn't manage to cancel it till the next day, yet it was never used. Guess I got very lucky. Then later that day I discovered one of my other ccs had been blocked by the bank after the first time I used it there. Which is fine, except I'd used it in China, India and some African countries without it being blocked. So me swanning all over Asia and Africa making in some cases some quite large purchases doesn't set off any warnings, but buying a single pizza in Reykjavik does??

HoneyBee42

« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
I've had my bank call me when I've been overseas due to the cards being used there.  Yeah, by me!   :D

These days I call them before I go away.
My parents once had trouble w/ their cards getting declined.  They (being happily married for 40+ years) are both users on the same cc acct.  My mother was visiting me while I was living in Syracuse, NY while my father was here in southern IL (where I live now--I was being held up by my ex fighting everything along the way in the divorce--I ended up getting everything that I had asked for and he got everything I had originally offered him in the opt-out ... but the car was impounded when he was arrested and he also got a felony conviction which wasn't part of my original opt-out offer).  So, they were about 850 miles apart and both using their cards until suddenly they couldn't.  Fortunately, a call to the card company got it straightened out for them.