Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 628366 times)

Carotte

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #480 on: February 05, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
I guess it can be usefull here:

At least with gmail you can enter your address ( youradress@gmail.com) as youradress+something@gmail.com. Say you enter a contest or join a maillinglist, you can put youradress+bbc@gmail.com. That way you can track any mail that seems suspicious, if you receive a 'lottery winner!' from youradress+bbc@gmail.com, then you know it's a fake (and that the bbc sold your adress).
Sadly some website think there's an error and doesn't accept the +something as part of a real email, but it makes it easier to redirect spam if you flag the entire address.
If you're not with gmail (or even then) you can try it by sending yourself a test mail.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #481 on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
OOOOOOhhhh, I did not know that - thanks!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #482 on: February 05, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »
So long as the form developer followed the actual email address specs and not some made up permitted characters test.

A lot of times, poorly created forms will claim that an email containing a '+' is invalid.

/end rant about people who do poorly in my own profession

magicdomino

« Reply #483 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
If someone calls claming to be a U.S. Marshal from the Federal Crime Division, about paying your student loan Right Now, and threatens to arrest you if you don't call back within 25 minutes with money, it is a scam.

If you are the "U.S. Marshal" doing the calling, do not call a young woman who will ask her mother for advice.  You will receive a call back within 25 minutes, but it will be from Mama Bear who has (1) called the United States Marshals Service to verify that you are full of it, and (2) Googled "Federal Crime Division."  I don't know what the result was, but I'm sure it wasn't etiquette-approved.  :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #484 on: February 05, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
Haha - I just got one. I answered even though the name on my caller id was gibberish and i didn't recognize the number. It was some guy, who could barely speak English, calling about my "microsoft windows computer" nice try since they don't really make computers, and I know its a scam. I just said, hey, I know this is a scam, goodbye and hung up. 

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #485 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
Yesterday I got a call saying "Your credit card company has allowed us to call you to offer you a lower rate."

Erm... I don't have a credit card.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #486 on: February 06, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
Incidentally, it's pretty easy to spoof a "from" email address if you compose the email inside code. You can put anything you want inside the "from" field when you create it inside code.

We had a practical joker developer at work who spoofed a goofy email from a coworker to tease her. It was easy for everyone in the office to know it didn't come from her pc since she had been standing at the other end of the office from her locked PC.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #487 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
Haha - I just got one. I answered even though the name on my caller id was gibberish and i didn't recognize the number. It was some guy, who could barely speak English, calling about my "microsoft windows computer" nice try since they don't really make computers, and I know its a scam. I just said, hey, I know this is a scam, goodbye and hung up.

This is a common scam, and one that, as you point out, doesn't make much sense. Presumably there are enough people out there who believe that Microsoft can see into your computer, and wants to help you, though.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Girlie

« Reply #488 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
Can I just tell you how much I ADORE the phone calls I've recieved ever since buying tickets to a local (but supposedly professional) orchestra? Apparently, they sell phone numbers, and then victims - er, customers - will have the privilege of recieving dozens of phone calls about buying "cheap" tickets to see them again (yeah, right).
The phone numbers are ALWAYS unlisted, and they NEVER leave voicemail. The only way I know what's going is because I've looked the phone numbers up on Google and others have related their experiences.

I will NEVER buy tickets for this orchestra again. I do not appreciate having my information sold.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #489 on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
Have you contacted the orchestra about this?  There's a possibility that the organization doesn't know about this. 

There have been instances in which a low-level employee has stolen information and is using it for personal gain. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #490 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »

This is a common scam, and one that, as you point out, doesn't make much sense. Presumably there are enough people out there who believe that Microsoft can see into your computer, and wants to help you, though.

Oh I know. Sadly, a lot of people get taken in scams like this. My mom, who is close to 80, is not, however, one of them. She is quite spry, and totally with it. She has, however, sent me emails or asked me about certain emails she's received, either from spammers or friends sending her stuff that isn't quite true.

But she's like me, VERY suspicoius, and wont' fall for anything.

weeblewobble

« Reply #491 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Can I just tell you how much I ADORE the phone calls I've recieved ever since buying tickets to a local (but supposedly professional) orchestra? Apparently, they sell phone numbers, and then victims - er, customers - will have the privilege of recieving dozens of phone calls about buying "cheap" tickets to see them again (yeah, right).
The phone numbers are ALWAYS unlisted, and they NEVER leave voicemail. The only way I know what's going is because I've looked the phone numbers up on Google and others have related their experiences.

I will NEVER buy tickets for this orchestra again. I do not appreciate having my information sold.

Have you considered contacting your local news media?  Because if my local orchestra did this, there would be news stories out the wazooo.

Elisabunny

« Reply #492 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Yesterday I got a phone call supposedly about my dental and vision insurance.  "Let's go over your info and then I'll tell you about this super-duper new benefit!"

It may have been legit, but sounded suspicious, so I gave my standard, "Just send me the info in the mail, thanks, gotta go."
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

sunnygirl

« Reply #493 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
I just got a spam/scam email from "The King of Narnia." WOW.

Bet it's Edmund.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #494 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
I just got a spam/scam email from "The King of Narnia." WOW.

Bet it's Edmund.

LOL!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."