Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 684532 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #525 on: February 18, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
This morning I got a call from my credit union's automated system notifying me that three separate purchases, totaling nearly $1k, had been made to an online toy store and did I authorize that? Um, no.  >:(

Horrifying story, but kudos to your credit union for catching it so quickly.!!

Hope you and Amazon and the online toy store can get this all worked out without any further issues.  And yes, I think retailers should reveal the names of the perpetrators of theft like this, but I'm thinking they won't.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #526 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
This is appropos to the topic, and I know you can use a laugh.

Otterpop

« Reply #527 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »
This morning I got a call from my credit union's automated system notifying me that three separate purchases, totaling nearly $1k, had been made to an online toy store and did I authorize that? Um, no.  >:(

Yesterday I bought my son two video games for his birthday through amazon. One was directly from them but the other is through another online retailer and I'm thinking somebody swiped my card number. I tried to call the bank but of course they're closed due to the holiday. We were able to track down the number for reporting fraud so we did that, transactions are refused and the card is canceled. We also tried to call the customer service number of the online toy store to notify them not to ship the orders but they're closed, too. We'll call everyone again first thing in the morning.

I want to ask them for the name and address the items were to be shipped to. Will they tell me? I think I have a right to know, as I was the one charged, but I don't know how that works. I've never been stolen from before. I'd really like to track this jerk down and turn him/her in if possible.

I hope they at least notify the online retailer, pinpoint which employee it was and FIRE their butts (and prosecute...one can hope).  That is alarming.

kansha

« Reply #528 on: February 18, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Yesterday I bought my son two video games for his birthday through amazon. One was directly from them but the other is through another online retailer and I'm thinking somebody swiped my card number. I tried to call the bank but of course they're closed due to the holiday. We were able to track down the number for reporting fraud so we did that, transactions are refused and the card is canceled. We also tried to call the customer service number of the online toy store to notify them not to ship the orders but they're closed, too. We'll call everyone again first thing in the morning.

I want to ask them for the name and address the items were to be shipped to. Will they tell me? I think I have a right to know, as I was the one charged, but I don't know how that works. I've never been stolen from before. I'd really like to track this jerk down and turn him/her in if possible.
if you're a customer of knit pics or any of the other crafts americana companies, they had CC/debit card info exposed, which they discovered in late DECEMBER.  there was an explosion of knitters on the ravelry site reporting CC fraud a couple of weeks ago.  a ravelry member found the info about the info breach on the CA and VT attorney general sites friday; KP only acknowleged the issue via blogpost (as in, there is still NOTHING on their main site) last night. 

my sister in law's card was hit as she purchased items for me for xmas.  KP's response has been underwhelming (i'm being polite here) =/

tl;dr: if you've purchased from knitpicks in the past, keep an eye on your cc/bank account!

sunnygirl

« Reply #529 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Ugh. I bought a Groupon for some yoga classes. The vendor ignored all my emails trying to book, then emailed me after the Groupon expired to say, "Sorry but email me the voucher and you can still use it!", then emailed me right back after I did so to say, "Actually you can't use it because it's expired", then used the info from the voucher to fraudulently tell Groupon I had already used the voucher. Groupon refuses to refund or do anything since according to the vendor I've already taken the classes, even though, you know, I have the emails where the vendor flat out says, "We won't honour the voucher tough luck."

Groupon sucks, seriously. Is there nothing one can do if a vendor refuses to honour the deal then lies that they've already done so?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #530 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Ugh. I bought a Groupon for some yoga classes. The vendor ignored all my emails trying to book, then emailed me after the Groupon expired to say, "Sorry but email me the voucher and you can still use it!", then emailed me right back after I did so to say, "Actually you can't use it because it's expired", then used the info from the voucher to fraudulently tell Groupon I had already used the voucher. Groupon refuses to refund or do anything since according to the vendor I've already taken the classes, even though, you know, I have the emails where the vendor flat out says, "We won't honour the voucher tough luck."

Groupon sucks, seriously. Is there nothing one can do if a vendor refuses to honour the deal then lies that they've already done so?

Try their Twitter account - and check out Consumerist.org for their executive contact information. As long as you have the e-mails, I'd keep trying - I worry about that kind of thing occasionally, but haven't had it happen so far. Good luck!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
How long since you purchased the Groupon? If it's under 90 days, dispute with your CC and send them copies of the emails. Also, make sure you review them on Yelp and Google. :-)

I am concerned about this happening, too - I bought a mobile car detailing package through WeeklyPlus in January, and have been trying to book since 1/24. Emails and phone calls have gone ignored. I have now tried emailing from a 2nd address, and also tried contacting WeeklyPlus, but they haven't responded, either. UGH!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #532 on: February 18, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
UPDATE

We heard back from the customer service rep at the online toy store. Apparently there were only 2 purchases, the first one was for just under $125 and they used our shipping address. That was at 3am. When it went through they got brave and made another purchase at 9am for $850 but had it sent to their address. That flagged a security check within the retailer's system (ironically only put in to place a couple of months ago for this exact reason!) and they caught it. The store then broke the purchase into the two smaller amounts and tried to run them through simultaneously because they knew it would cause our bank to flag them and ask us to authorize them if it was legit. I'm really impressed!

She did give us the email address the thief used and the physical address they tried to have the items (7 "booster boxes" of Magic cards) sent to. I have no idea if it's related to the video game purchases I just made (that store doesn't sell gaming cards) but I'm going to call the police dept. in their town and see about filing a report. Even if this transaction isn't enough for the police to pursue on its own they may have an ongoing case or be watching the house for some other reason, so maybe it'll help.

Thanks everyone!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #533 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
^^^  I must say I'm very impressed!!  It's actually nice to hear stories about things being handled so correctly and expediently!

turtleIScream

« Reply #534 on: February 18, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
JenJay's story reminded me of a credit card fraud that happened to us. But maybe this should go under the stupid question thread. I purchased some back to school items for my daughter at a consignment shop. One month later, the exact same transaction posted to our credit card, followed by three other fraudulent charges within a week. Is it likely that someone at the consignment shop stole my card info, or was that just a weird coincidence?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #535 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
JenJay's story reminded me of a credit card fraud that happened to us. But maybe this should go under the stupid question thread. I purchased some back to school items for my daughter at a consignment shop. One month later, the exact same transaction posted to our credit card, followed by three other fraudulent charges within a week. Is it likely that someone at the consignment shop stole my card info, or was that just a weird coincidence?

Could be just a coincidence, but if you were double charged for the actual purchase I'd certainly be bringing it to the attention of the owners of the consignment shop!  And I'd mention those totally fraudulent charges too.  It could be that they're not related, but chances are they are.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #536 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »

I'd dispute it with your credit card, if you still can. Or keep bugging Groupon. I've had a couple issues with them, but they've always been resolved quickly.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #537 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »

I'd dispute it with your credit card, if you still can. Or keep bugging Groupon. I've had a couple issues with them, but they've always been resolved quickly.

Also, do your local TV news shows have a tip line or consumer help segment? They'd looooove to see those emails!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #538 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:31 AM »
After all, if someone is going to steal your identity, they'll be having a bit more fun with it than a charitable contribution, a bottle of wine and a used book. 

I had a similar reaction when my own bank froze my debit card AND my credit card, for "suspicious activity" -- which consisted of $50 worth of t-shirts purchased at Death Valley.

Because, of course, the first thing one does after stealing a card number is run to Death Valley and buy t-shirts!

Generally, you buy water, and photo film so you can stand next to the giant thermonitor and take pictures to show your friends! :P

((I tease.  Lots of tourists go to Death Valley through this town, its kind of a one stop food place for ANY tour bus coming through.  I think our McDonalds has secured a deal with some tour company, because its always there, and no other food place in town. ???))

Given, it is a really gorgeous place. :) I go yearly in winter, when it's cool.  Enough hot days here...

sunnygirl

« Reply #539 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
Thank you for all your responses. I am emailing them.
I've been doing some searching online and found a lot of info, but alas it seems most of it is US-based (Groupon US were forced to change their policies after the threat of a class action lawsuit) but I am in the UK and it seems most of it does not apply. I'll update if there is anything to update. :)