News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 02:33:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2577439 times)

gramma dishes

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #525 on: February 18, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
JenJay's story reminded me of a credit card fraud that happened to us. But maybe this should go under the stupid question thread. I purchased some back to school items for my daughter at a consignment shop. One month later, the exact same transaction posted to our credit card, followed by three other fraudulent charges within a week. Is it likely that someone at the consignment shop stole my card info, or was that just a weird coincidence?

Could be just a coincidence, but if you were double charged for the actual purchase I'd certainly be bringing it to the attention of the owners of the consignment shop!  And I'd mention those totally fraudulent charges too.  It could be that they're not related, but chances are they are.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #526 on: February 18, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Ugh. I bought a Groupon for some yoga classes. The vendor ignored all my emails trying to book, then emailed me after the Groupon expired to say, "Sorry but email me the voucher and you can still use it!", then emailed me right back after I did so to say, "Actually you can't use it because it's expired", then used the info from the voucher to fraudulently tell Groupon I had already used the voucher. Groupon refuses to refund or do anything since according to the vendor I've already taken the classes, even though, you know, I have the emails where the vendor flat out says, "We won't honour the voucher tough luck."

Groupon sucks, seriously. Is there nothing one can do if a vendor refuses to honour the deal then lies that they've already done so?

I'd dispute it with your credit card, if you still can. Or keep bugging Groupon. I've had a couple issues with them, but they've always been resolved quickly.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #527 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
Ugh. I bought a Groupon for some yoga classes. The vendor ignored all my emails trying to book, then emailed me after the Groupon expired to say, "Sorry but email me the voucher and you can still use it!", then emailed me right back after I did so to say, "Actually you can't use it because it's expired", then used the info from the voucher to fraudulently tell Groupon I had already used the voucher. Groupon refuses to refund or do anything since according to the vendor I've already taken the classes, even though, you know, I have the emails where the vendor flat out says, "We won't honour the voucher tough luck."

Groupon sucks, seriously. Is there nothing one can do if a vendor refuses to honour the deal then lies that they've already done so?

I'd dispute it with your credit card, if you still can. Or keep bugging Groupon. I've had a couple issues with them, but they've always been resolved quickly.

Also, do your local TV news shows have a tip line or consumer help segment? They'd looooove to see those emails!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #528 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:31 AM »
After all, if someone is going to steal your identity, they'll be having a bit more fun with it than a charitable contribution, a bottle of wine and a used book. 

I had a similar reaction when my own bank froze my debit card AND my credit card, for "suspicious activity" -- which consisted of $50 worth of t-shirts purchased at Death Valley.

Because, of course, the first thing one does after stealing a card number is run to Death Valley and buy t-shirts!

Generally, you buy water, and photo film so you can stand next to the giant thermonitor and take pictures to show your friends! :P

((I tease.  Lots of tourists go to Death Valley through this town, its kind of a one stop food place for ANY tour bus coming through.  I think our McDonalds has secured a deal with some tour company, because its always there, and no other food place in town. ???))

Given, it is a really gorgeous place. :) I go yearly in winter, when it's cool.  Enough hot days here...

sunnygirl

« Reply #529 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
Thank you for all your responses. I am emailing them.
I've been doing some searching online and found a lot of info, but alas it seems most of it is US-based (Groupon US were forced to change their policies after the threat of a class action lawsuit) but I am in the UK and it seems most of it does not apply. I'll update if there is anything to update. :)

hjaye

« Reply #530 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
UPDATE

I'm going to call the police dept. in their town and see about filing a report. Even if this transaction isn't enough for the police to pursue on its own they may have an ongoing case or be watching the house for some other reason, so maybe it'll help.

Thanks everyone!

I had a police officer tell me once that credit card fraud is a felony, and the amount being purchased with the card didn't matter.  He used the example of someone going into a store and stealing a pack of gum.  If you just steal the gum, it's a small misdemeanor.  If you used a credit card fraudulently to purchase the same pack of gum, it would be a felony.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #531 on: February 19, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Good luck - I just got (after what, a week?) an email back from WeeklyPlus that they were contacting the vendor and asking them to contact me directly. We shall see.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #532 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
UPDATE

I'm going to call the police dept. in their town and see about filing a report. Even if this transaction isn't enough for the police to pursue on its own they may have an ongoing case or be watching the house for some other reason, so maybe it'll help.

Thanks everyone!

I had a police officer tell me once that credit card fraud is a felony, and the amount being purchased with the card didn't matter.  He used the example of someone going into a store and stealing a pack of gum.  If you just steal the gum, it's a small misdemeanor.  If you used a credit card fraudulently to purchase the same pack of gum, it would be a felony.

Yup. We were able to speak with someone at the credit union today and they said stealing credit info is a felony and a federal crime, no matter what. It's funny because my DH is a federal law enforcement officer so he's having a hard time not getting in the car and driving the two hours up to the address they attempted to ship to. Of course he won't, but he's fantasizing about how much fun he could have with it.  :P

The credit union employee advised us that one of the largest identity theft rings in the country is based out of VA (where we are and where the shipping address they used is) so we are taking this very seriously. I just ran a credit check on myself and DH and put the 90-day security alerts on both our social security numbers, then I went to every website where we may have had credit card info stored and deleted it all (fortunately just a couple) and changed the passwords, finally I also changed the passwords to our online banking accounts. A real pain in the butt, but it could have been so much worse!

We heard from the lady at the toy store this morning and can you believe this (these?) idiot(s?) tried to use the card AGAIN? She also verified for us that they had to have not only DH's name and card number but his address and the security code off the back of the card to place the orders. I know if he used the card in person someone could have quickly written down his name, number and the security number before handing it back to him but I don't know if they would be able to obtain our address? That makes it look pretty good for being hacked online and there are only two places he had that info stored - amazon.com and the online services for consumer reports. Needless to say both of those accounts have been deleted and I'm going to contact their customer service departments and give them a heads up.

EDITED to add -
Toy store lady replied to my email and said the thief didn't try to use my card again today, they tried to use someone else's card and reorder the same stuff and have it sent to the same shipping address they'd attempted to use with our card. She also advised us to call the police. This is nuts!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:08:09 PM by JenJay »

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #533 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
I got a 'free cruise' from "Caribbean Cruise Lines" in the mail today. We really would like to go to the Caribbean on a cruise for our honeymoon (at least if it's free!), so on a whim, I called the redemption line. "Joan" was VERY abrupt with me and would not answer any questions (such as why their cruise line apparently is the only one WITHOUT a Google presence) without my redemption number (which she repeated as 12345678, even though the number was more like 12890453, and she wouldn't answer me when I asked "Why did you just count to 8?"), phone number and first name. Then she says, "OK, Melissa on 123 Blahblahblah Lane..." (NOT my name or address) I had to interrupt her and say goodbye because it was just too much.

I hope no one falls for this one. It would be pretty hard to buy into it.

I think these sorts of things are supposed to be timeshare scams, but I'm not sure how anyone would ever let it get to that point!

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #534 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
I got a 'free cruise' from "Caribbean Cruise Lines" in the mail today. We really would like to go to the Caribbean on a cruise for our honeymoon (at least if it's free!), so on a whim, I called the redemption line. "Joan" was VERY abrupt with me and would not answer any questions (such as why their cruise line apparently is the only one WITHOUT a Google presence) without my redemption number (which she repeated as 12345678, even though the number was more like 12890453, and she wouldn't answer me when I asked "Why did you just count to 8?"), phone number and first name. Then she says, "OK, Melissa on 123 Blahblahblah Lane..." (NOT my name or address) I had to interrupt her and say goodbye because it was just too much.

I think these sorts of things are supposed to be timeshare scams, but I'm not sure how anyone would ever let it get to that point!

That sounds like she is phishing for info.

they say "123 ABC ln"
you replay "No its 987 zyx rd" and bam they have your address.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Deetee

« Reply #535 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »

they say "123 ABC ln"

But it sounds like this was mailed to the person, so they had the address.

sevenday

« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »
In these kinds of things I don't know that the person on the phone when you call the number listed necessarily has your address. All they know is that you're holding a piece of paper with their number on it.  So yes, I can see why they'd be fishing for info, expecting you to automatically provide the correct address. Especially after she just "made up" the number (counting from 1 to 8)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Given, it [Death Valley] is a really gorgeous place. :) I go yearly in winter, when it's cool.  Enough hot days here...

We certainly thought so.  It was fascinating!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #538 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »

they say "123 ABC ln"

But it sounds like this was mailed to the person, so they had the address.
Not necessarily. The USPS has a service where advertisers can simple specify a mail route, city, zip code, etc. I think it's called Every Door Direct Mail. They simply deliver to every active address in the area you specify.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #539 on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Woot!  Just won a million pounds in a lotto I never entered, according to a text message.  Yay me! 

(wonder how much it would cost me to get it, lol!)

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)