Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 564758 times)

Zen

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #585 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
"Corellian YT-1300 Stock Light" copier with an "Incom T-65" paper tray.

Does it come with a Wookie? :)

MissRose

« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
I giggle a bit to myself when I am working email contacts at work and some of them are the scams & spam.  Why some people fall for them I will never know!!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
I once had the copier scam people come - while the copier people (who donated the copier and toner) were servicing the machine and a cop was booking a boy scout troop trip to the museum. We had fun with the guy that day.

Someone at the we think the country club sold Dad's information. We suddenly started getting calls and mail for Harry Herbert - they had mistyped Dad's name dropping one letter and changing another.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Miss March

« Reply #588 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
My DH got a phishing email the other day. They did a good job- it looked pretty legit. It was supposedly a receipt from PayPal, showing his recent purchase of a watch. They were banking on him hitting the "Report problem" link at the bottom in a panic, to say he didn't buy that watch, and having him input his correct PayPal information to verify his account.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #589 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
I got a call from a number I later googled as belonging to a call centre that offers loans.

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hi.
<pause>
Me: Can I help you?
Caller: Who is this?
Me: Who are you looking for?
Caller: I'm looking for Doctor.
Me: Doctor? Uh, that's a title, not a name. Do you have a name to go with that title?
Caller: No no, it's not a title, that's his first name.
Me: Nope, nobody here by that name.
Caller: Oh okay. <hangs up>

Now, I do have a PhD, so I am technically a doctor, but that's not my first name. I figure somebody sold my contact information onto the call centre, but put my title as my first name. Bonus points for getting my gender wrong too.

(For the record, I do live in a country where Doctor is a perfectly acceptable first name, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Khumalo ).
You haven't had any blue police boxes show up in your yard or living room lately, have you?  ;D
I thought that, too. But in that case, the first name would be 'The', wouldn't it?
;D Alas no "The" and no sonic screwdriver (unless that's a type of cocktail).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #590 on: February 27, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
Someone has used babelfish to translate this scam into English.  How could it fail?!?  >:D

Payroll Account Holded by IntuitDirect Deposit Service Informer
 Communicatory Only

We cancelled your payroll on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:09:32 +0100.

• Finances would be gone away from below account # ending in 7890 on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:09:32 +0100
  • amount to be seceded: 5398 USD
  • Paychecks would be procrastinated to your personnel accounts on: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:09:32 +0100
Funds are typically left before working banking hours so please make sure you have enough Finances accessible by 12 a.m. on the date Cash are to be seceded.

Intuit must reject your payroll by 4 p.m. Central time, two banking days before your paycheck date or your state would not be paid on time.

Yes. Yes, indeedy. I am TERRIFIED that my paycheck will be procrastinated!

Or I would, if I got a paycheck...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #591 on: February 27, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
We put a large desk up on Craiglist. I got an email asking if it was still available; I replied that it was, and got this back:

"Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it and just to let you
  know I'm okay with the condition, the price and I'm ready for the
  purchase . I would have really loved to come for the inspection but
  due to my work frame it just won't fit in my schedule but more
  pictures will be deeply appreciated. My mode of payment will be by
  Check and it will be send via courier service which will be delivered
  to you between 1-3days. I'll be responsible for the pick-up besides
  the movers/pick up money will be included with your payment so as to
  avoid delay and to enable movers to schedule an appropriate time for
  the pick-up at your location after the check is been cashed as I have
  other properties to be moved alongside yours. Kindly get back to me
  with your full name, mailing address and phone number so as to make
  out the payment to you ASAP. Kind Regards"

After staring at it for a while, I Googled the name and she's in Seattle.  I finally replied that we prefer to deal in person and in cash, thanks for inquiring.

I got that almost exact email when I was trying to sell a sewing machine on Craigslist!  I couldn't imagine why she was so excited to get an old machine.
Finally, I wrote that I would be happier if her movers brought cash with them, because, y'know, there are so many scammers on Craigslist these days.

Never heard another word.  I wonder why?   ;)

MrTango

« Reply #592 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
"Corellian YT-1300 Stock Light" copier with an "Incom T-65" paper tray.

Does it come with a Wookie? :)

Yes, but the R2 unit is sold seperately.

Actually, I like the idea of someone trying to Google that model number and getting a bunch of pictures of the Millenium Falcon.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:43:49 AM by MrTango »

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #593 on: February 27, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
I'd forgotten about this one that I fell for many years ago, until I was hit up for a similar deal yesterday. Not outright thievery, but certainly misrepresentation.

A guy rings my doorbell. He points to a van labeled "So and So Fine Meats." They do home delivery of really special gourmet meat and chicken. It seems that a customer was a no-show. The guy called his manager who suggested that instead driving all the way back with the delivery, he should go door-to-door and offer to sell stuff for half price to at least recoup the cost of driving around.

The guy explains that this was a really huge order. He shows a price list and says he has just about everything on the list. The prices are high, but if the meat is a good as he says, half price is a good deal. I bought 4 steaks. It never occurred to me to wonder why, for such a big order, they had not secured it with a credit card, instead of needing to sell it at any price.

The steaks were nothing special. I could have bought the same quality for more or less the same price at a supermarket, so I wasn't too badly ripped off, but it was definitely a con game.

Yesterday, I just told the guy "no thank you, I'm a vegetarian."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #594 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
A guy rings my doorbell. He points to a van labeled "So and So Fine Meats." They do home delivery of really special gourmet meat and chicken. It seems that a customer was a no-show. The guy called his manager who suggested that instead driving all the way back with the delivery, he should go door-to-door and offer to sell stuff for half price to at least recoup the cost of driving around.

We have one of those guys.... except he's got a chest freezer plugged into a converter in his beater pickup truck, and a mouth full of rotten teeth (with torn clothes to match). At least yours tried to look respectable. He even got a bigger grin when he saw that I am a big girl - I think he thought I'd be an easy mark for meat of unknown provenance sold from a pickup?

alkira6

« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
I actually got a really good deal from my Schwan's guy because of someone cancelling a huge order, so it does happen.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
In Michigan, all commercial vehicle plates expire February 28.  For some companies, this can run tens of thousands of dollars, but even for smaller ones, this is a big expense.  Fleets (ten or more renewals) drop their work off, and we call them when they are ready.  A clerk just came to see me.  She had finished a fleet of 30 trucks, and found that the check to pay for it all was unsigned.  She called the office, and was told that the owner (after dropping off his work here) had left for vacation and will not be back until March 11.  I told her to call back and tell them that we would not be able to process anything without payment, and an unsigned check would not cut it.  We would void out all our work, and we could process it on March 11, and oh, yes, of course, late fees of $10 each would also be due.  Gee, they managed to catch him before he got too far north, and he was able to come back and sign the check.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LazyDaisy

« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
I'd forgotten about this one that I fell for many years ago, until I was hit up for a similar deal yesterday. Not outright thievery, but certainly misrepresentation.

The guy explains that this was a really huge order. He shows a price list and says he has just about everything on the list. The prices are high, but if the meat is a good as he says, half price is a good deal. I bought 4 steaks. It never occurred to me to wonder why, for such a big order, they had not secured it with a credit card, instead of needing to sell it at any price.

The steaks were nothing special. I could have bought the same quality for more or less the same price at a supermarket, so I wasn't too badly ripped off, but it was definitely a con game.

Yesterday, I just told the guy "no thank you, I'm a vegetarian."
I disagree. I bet he's stealing from his employer or customer and pocketing the cash. You're not so much the victim of the scam as much as they are. But you are receiving stolen property. With so much product going out the door (or being delivered), the owner doesn't notice a few extra pounds here and there missing and the employee has "extra" to sell on the side.

I've never seen the scam using food, but I've seen it with gardening and construction materials. A legitimate work truck driving through a neighborhood sees a homeowner out in their yard and wouldn't you know they have a few "extra" bags of fertilizer or flats of plants that the customer "didn't need" and they'll sell for cash. The customer probably wasn't counting the number of bags the workers used or noticed a few missing plants but they paid for it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Belle

« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
I had one recently. My husband and I were shopping at an upscale outlet mall in a touristy area. A young couple claimed to have run out of gas and needed just a few dollars to get back home. I declined. If you're that close to home, surely you know people in the area you could call for $5. At that distance, you could even walk home. But instead you're begging in an area likely to be filled with tourists with pockets full 'o cash? No, I don't buy it.

Ten minutes later I wasn't surprised to see them running to a pick-up truck, starting it, and hightailing it out of there. Gee, looks like they had gas after all. I figure one of the stores threatened to call the cops if they didn't leave the property.

In small towns, I'm much more willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. In large towns and tourist areas, I assume I'm being swindled.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:41:27 PM by Belle »

lilfox

« Reply #599 on: February 27, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
Nutrax, I bought the same "deal" you did years ago.  I don't remember what the story was, other than claiming to drum up business, but the guy had a legit looking freezer truck (some brand, not Schwan's though).  The steaks and burgers were nothing special but not too overpriced so I imagine it was more of a "fell off the truck" deal than a price gouging scam.  I lived in that house for three more years and never saw them again.