Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 708730 times)

Girlie

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #705 on: March 29, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »
I am SOOOO excited! Now it's MY turn to be rich!
I got an email this morning from a guy with a very official title out of Australia trying to help his poor (erm...rich) friend in Nigeria transfer some money.

'Cause I'm sure if there was some "Nigerian Prince" scam, I'd have heard about it by now, right?  >:D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #706 on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
I am SOOOO excited! Now it's MY turn to be rich!
I got an email this morning from a guy with a very official title out of Australia trying to help his poor (erm...rich) friend in Nigeria transfer some money.

'Cause I'm sure if there was some "Nigerian Prince" scam, I'd have heard about it by now, right?  >:D

You know, if there are any Nigerian princes or officials that actually need help, they are going to have a heck of a time convincing people...

"Hey, it's me! Gerry! I need to borrow the keys to your private plane! Leave them under the box by the hedge, so no one can see me. I have to get out of the country FAST. I'll totally pay you back when I get out!"

"Oh, come on. This scam is such old news. I'm not giving you a plane."

"Buddy, it's ME. GERRY. You know me!"

"Look. Dude. I don't know who you are, but I'm not falling for this." <click>

(next day)

"Foreign Affairs Minister Gerald Mgumbo Executed By Rebel Troops. Well , what do you know. It WAS Gerry. Oops."
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #707 on: March 29, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
I think the scammers are on to us. They know we know about the "Nigerians" so now they have to choose other countries to be from. My coworker just got the typical "Nigerian" scam email but this poor gentleman says he's from Togo. After all, we know that Nigerians can't be trusted, but the Togolese are fine right?  ::)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Miss Tickle

« Reply #708 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
The call display showed a strange "number" last night (station 111).  Lucky for us DH answered, because it was Microsoft calling to let us know our windows computer was infected! Since DH doesn't "do" computers he handed me the phone with such a serious expression I was worried something had happened to someone. I had to show him this thread (in between bouts of gleeful laughing - it's my first scam call!) before he calmed down. I admit I wasn't polite to the scammers. I started laughing so hard I couldn't get a word out, so I just hung up.

Oh, and the Nigerian Princes have gone democratic and are now faxing us from the President's office in Ghana.

Figgie

« Reply #709 on: March 31, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
My Dad died in September and the house (which we live next door to) was placed on the market on March 15th.  The house is not certified for rental and couldn't be certified because of the limit to the number of rental units allowed per block in my small town.

So, I've noticed people stopping by the house and walking around the outside of it, but haven't paid much attention since there is a for sale sign in the front yard.  I just assumed they were people who wanted to look at the outside before meeting with a realtor to see the inside.

Yesterday afternoon, a young woman and her daughter knocked on the door and asked us if the house next door was for rent.  I told her that it most definitely was not for rent and in fact couldn't be rented. 

Turns out that someone had posted it on Craigslist as a rental that accepted cats and dogs was available immediately and linked to the picture of the house on the realtor's website.  We told her that it was a scam and she was very, very grateful that she hadn't sent off a money order to pay a damage deposit and first months rent.

I reported the listing to Craigslist, it was removed and has since popped back up two more times with a different email address.  Both of the new listings have been removed as of a couple of hours ago.

I feel so sorry for the young couples who get taken in by this kind of scam and am grateful that they knocked on the door and asked us about the house.  My spouse made up a large sign and put it on the front porch screen, facing the street that states that the house is not for rent.  Hopefully, that will help prevent anyone from getting scammed!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #710 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
You know, if there are any Nigerian princes or officials that actually need help, they are going to have a heck of a time convincing people...

"Hey, it's me! Gerry! I need to borrow the keys to your private plane! Leave them under the box by the hedge, so no one can see me. I have to get out of the country FAST. I'll totally pay you back when I get out!"

(next day)

"Foreign Affairs Minister Gerald Mgumbo Executed By Rebel Troops. Well , what do you know. It WAS Gerry. Oops."

Brava!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #711 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

(next day)

Brava!

Thanks! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #712 on: April 02, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Thinking back to the 1990s we had a scammer in the library. 

It started simply.  Five people made appointments in the library for 3 pm.  They all arrived on time and one man seemed to be in charge.  We thought it was just a group of students who wanted to do some research together.  That wasn't unusual. When they left, they made the same appointment for the next week. Again, that wasn't unusual

When the group met the following week, the man who seemed to be in charge was ordering library staffers to bring a large number of books to the table. Many of the books were of the 'fringe' sort and what he was saying sounded a little 'off' to us.    We had suspicions but couldn't really do anything until we got THE PHONE CALL.

Ms. Y called us to say that she was not feeling well and would not be attending Professor X's Class that day. 

What class?  There were no classes held in the library that were sponsored by the museum.

As it turned out, Professor X had charged these people several hundred dollars each to attend a course of pure bushwah.  He was teaching it in our library and, at that time, access to the library was free. From his point of view, it was the perfect thing.

1) He could say that his course was being held at the W Library in the Z museum. That gave him great credibility among his audience. 

2) When the class was together he could ask library personnel to bring whatever he wanted to the table and we would do it. That increased his credibility and power. In his eyes and in the eyes of his students, we were there to do his bidding.

3) He didn't have to pay any money for class space. He didn't have to pay anything for class materials.  Everything he needed was here for free. 

When we discovered that he was holding a class in the library that the museum did not authorize and for which the museum received no money, the thing was shut down very quickly.   

However, for several years afterwards we'd get phone calls asking when Professor X would be giving his class in the W Library.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #713 on: April 13, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
I had a phonecall from Dwight in The Ministry of Finance.

I'm in the UK, we have no Ministry of Finance and I've never met a Brit called Dwight...
NE England

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #714 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
Thinking back to the 1990s we had a scammer in the library. .............

As it turned out, Professor X had charged these people several hundred dollars each to attend a course of pure bushwah.  He was teaching it in our library and, at that time, access to the library was free. From his point of view, it was the perfect thing.

Wow! That us so ingenious!

I might have actually fallen for that one.

I like to think I wouldn't fall for the others. I will try to let you know in 30 years.[quote author=mechtilde
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:11:38 PM by Luci45 »

jmarvellous

« Reply #715 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
I'm not going to say too much, but the documentary "Kumare" (on Netflix Instant right now!) is an amazing exploration of the idea of "scammers" in a religious sense. It is about a man who "pretends" to be an Indian guru.

I thought I would be upset or disappointed in the main person in the film (also the director/idea guy), but it turns into something really wonderful.

Library Dragon

« Reply #716 on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Thipu1 wrote:
As it turned out, Professor X had charged these people several hundred dollars each to attend a course of pure bushwah.  He was teaching it in our library and, at that time, access to the library was free. From his point of view, it was the perfect thing

We had a retired professor set up his "office" in the Library.  He came in every weekday and used the computers, meet with people, etc. we didn't think anything of it until he started giving out our number as his business number.  When it was explained that he didn't work at the library we found he was also telling people he was the executive director vs. just the director.  He was presenting himself as a literary agent/librarian and could get their books good reviews and guaranteed purchases.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #717 on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
Last weeks' guest lecturer in my forensics class was a forensic document examiner. He had examples of the checks one would receive if they agree to funnel money for the Nigerian scammers. It was fascinating!

Basically, don't deposit any checks drawn on Bank of Toronto for more than $1000. They start with a legitimate check, then alter the numbers and payee in each subsequent check, but it takes nearly 2 weeks of processing for the fraud to be revealed.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #718 on: April 15, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
I got one in my work email, re: my non-existent paypall account:

We have recently determined that different computers have logged into your account,
and spends a lot of failures were present before the connection.
please let us know immediately it is important to report it to a nousaider prevent fraudsters from stealing your information.
yeah right, if nothing else, the nonsensical grammar gives it away that its a scam.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #719 on: April 15, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
I am looking to buy two more refurbished models of my smart phone and looked at eBay yesterday to see what was available.

One auction looked pretty good until I got to this line "and this phone is totally not stolen at all". I am not sure why anyone bid on it, but it was up to 27 bids!