Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 657055 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #720 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
One auction looked pretty good until I got to this line "and this phone is totally not stolen at all".
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

alkira6

« Reply #721 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »
One auction looked pretty good until I got to this line "and this phone is totally not stolen at all".
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The problem with stolen electronics and scammers from the buyers end are the reasons why I have 5 old phones stuck in a drawer waiting to be donated to a women's shelter.  Not worh the trouble.

CakeBeret

« Reply #722 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
I got a rather well-done Paypal scam email the other day. The email address looked believably and it said that my account was frozen due to suspected fraud, and I should log in to un-freeze it. The grammar was good and it looked pretty legit.

It was still a scam, though, and with scam emails that good, no wonder people fall for it.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

alkira6

« Reply #723 on: April 15, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
I got a rather well-done Paypal scam email the other day. The email address looked believably and it said that my account was frozen due to suspected fraud, and I should log in to un-freeze it. The grammar was good and it looked pretty legit.

It was still a scam, though, and with scam emails that good, no wonder people fall for it.

Even with the most legit looking emails I never click on the link in the email, but go to the page in another tab myself. So far all of these "emergencies" have been fake.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #724 on: April 15, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
I had a fun 3 page letter from a person who wanted to live at the complex I manage.

He wrote that he was getting out of prison soon for a “bogus” kidnapping charge. He has not gotten in trouble for the last 10 years (gee, wonder if the sentence was at least 10 years). He wants to live in my building because it is in a wonderful area with lots of promise for jobs. Hmm this is a high crime area and in the news at least once a week for some sort of murder/drive-by/major crime and he considers that a wonderful area?  Jobs here like everywhere else in the country are hard to find, and in this community unless you speak one of the African languages, forget it.

He went on to tell me how he was planning on writing fiction books to pay his rent , I am sure many of our writers on here wish they could manage that feat!  But, if that doesn’t’ work, he has a backup plan, writing, directing and producing p0rn movies. Yea, not happening in my building! We have a daycare across the parking lot from us, boys and girls club across the street and a tutoring center in the building not to mention lots of kids in the building.

My last name is a common one for the African American community. He proceeded to go on about how he would be a great star for the above job as well…. In detail. He thinks from my name that I would be very interesting to “get to know” and maybe work with on some films. – I am a fat, white woman and “NO” .

It went on along that vein for about another page and a half.  I had to give him credit for trying but we are unable to help him due to all sorts of reasons. The major one is that our screening criteria does not allow us to house people with convictions less than 5 years old or major crimes (i.e. murder, gang violence, drug trafficking, ect) due to the number of contracts we have with local agencies to house vulnerable adults . All of this is readily available on the same document that he got my name off of.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #725 on: April 15, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
Wow, I don't think I want to be in residence management!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #726 on: April 15, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
I had a fun 3 page letter from a person who wanted to live at the complex I manage.

He wrote that he was getting out of prison soon for a “bogus” kidnapping charge. He has not gotten in trouble for the last 10 years (gee, wonder if the sentence was at least 10 years). He wants to live in my building because it is in a wonderful area with lots of promise for jobs. Hmm this is a high crime area and in the news at least once a week for some sort of murder/drive-by/major crime and he considers that a wonderful area?  Jobs here like everywhere else in the country are hard to find, and in this community unless you speak one of the African languages, forget it.

He went on to tell me how he was planning on writing fiction books to pay his rent , I am sure many of our writers on here wish they could manage that feat!  But, if that doesn’t’ work, he has a backup plan, writing, directing and producing p0rn movies. Yea, not happening in my building! We have a daycare across the parking lot from us, boys and girls club across the street and a tutoring center in the building not to mention lots of kids in the building.

My last name is a common one for the African American community. He proceeded to go on about how he would be a great star for the above job as well…. In detail. He thinks from my name that I would be very interesting to “get to know” and maybe work with on some films. – I am a fat, white woman and “NO” .

It went on along that vein for about another page and a half.  I had to give him credit for trying but we are unable to help him due to all sorts of reasons. The major one is that our screening criteria does not allow us to house people with convictions less than 5 years old or major crimes (i.e. murder, gang violence, drug trafficking, ect) due to the number of contracts we have with local agencies to house vulnerable adults . All of this is readily available on the same document that he got my name off of.

Any possibility that it's somebody playing a joke?  It sounds a little over the top for the guy to think that any of these things would really be pluses in his favor (not doubting you, doubting him).  I'm wondering if somebody thought it would be funny.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #727 on: April 15, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »
The letter was stamped with the notice from the prison that the writer is an inmate and that the contents had not been screened by the prison.  It was also addressed with the return address of prison in Walla Walla where they send the really bad guys like Ridgeway (the Green River Murderer). 

Granted, the prisoner could be playing a joke but the whole tone of the letter was that he felt these were good honest plans and that he would be a great addition to our property.

Amara

« Reply #728 on: April 15, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
We have recently determined that different computers have logged into your account, and spends a lot of failures were present before the connection.

There just have to be some situations at work where I can use that line.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #729 on: April 16, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
We have recently determined that different computers have logged into your account, and spends a lot of failures were present before the connection.

There just have to be some situations at work where I can use that line.

I know! and Im betting somewhere, someone, is quite proud of their command of the English language.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #730 on: April 16, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
The letter was stamped with the notice from the prison that the writer is an inmate and that the contents had not been screened by the prison.  It was also addressed with the return address of prison in Walla Walla where they send the really bad guys like Ridgeway (the Green River Murderer). 

Granted, the prisoner could be playing a joke but the whole tone of the letter was that he felt these were good honest plans and that he would be a great addition to our property.

We got a 4 page, front-and-back letter from a prisoner once who wanted to attend our university. A good 75% of the letter was complete and utter gibberish/made zero sense. It was seriously weird and creepy. The letter made the rounds of the various university offices because it was just so completely crazy.

Hillia

« Reply #731 on: April 18, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »
My DH got a phishing email the other day. They did a good job- it looked pretty legit. It was supposedly a receipt from PayPal, showing his recent purchase of a watch. They were banking on him hitting the "Report problem" link at the bottom in a panic, to say he didn't buy that watch, and having him input his correct PayPal information to verify his account.

I got that one the other day!

My personal hotmail email account is my first name, plus the rest of my initials--for example, midgecdf@blahblah.com. When I looked at the "to" field on that email, it had been sent to midgecdf@blahblah.com, midgemmm@blahblah.com, midgeabc@blahblah.com, etc. They just typed in a first name, a bunch of letters after, and hit send, hoping for the best!

I just got this one today!  I had just used  my PayPal account for the first time in several months, and a few days after the legitimate transaction, I got this one.  I went to the PayPal site (in a separate browser window, not via any links) to verify that no such transaction had been processed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Reader

« Reply #732 on: April 18, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
My friend J just posted on Facebook, that a man came to her door yesterday.  Here is her conversation with him - "Weird thing just happened to me. A man came to my door and had cleaning supplies in his hand. This was our conversation:
Me: what's up?
 Man: I'm not selling anything. We're in the neighborhood giving out cleaning supplies to the ladies".
 Me: I don't live here, and we don't need them.
 I unfortunately did not catch the license plate. I did report it, though.
 Anyone have anything like this ever happen? Weird that he wasn't selling anything, but was giving away products to "ladies". What's the catch???"

People chiming in have all said it's a scam to gain entrance to the home for assault, to be robbed or even raped  :o, said she was smart to say she didn't live there, and was giving advice to have her change her routine, and get a dog etc.  She later checked with other houses and neighbors and no one else was approached and said a call to ADT was on the horizon, as she lives alone with her daughter.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #733 on: April 18, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
My DH got a phishing email the other day. They did a good job- it looked pretty legit. It was supposedly a receipt from PayPal, showing his recent purchase of a watch. They were banking on him hitting the "Report problem" link at the bottom in a panic, to say he didn't buy that watch, and having him input his correct PayPal information to verify his account.

I got that one the other day!

My personal hotmail email account is my first name, plus the rest of my initials--for example, midgecdf@blahblah.com. When I looked at the "to" field on that email, it had been sent to midgecdf@blahblah.com, midgemmm@blahblah.com, midgeabc@blahblah.com, etc. They just typed in a first name, a bunch of letters after, and hit send, hoping for the best!

I just got this one today!  I had just used  my PayPal account for the first time in several months, and a few days after the legitimate transaction, I got this one.  I went to the PayPal site (in a separate browser window, not via any links) to verify that no such transaction had been processed.

I got a fraud alert from Discover and phoned. The customer service person informed that I could use the link and not have to call. I was too shocked to try to explain it to her.

bloo

« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
I just posted an ad to Craigslist to sell my bicycle.

When I opened my email a little bit ago and read this response I about fell out my chair laughing:

Hello i am interested in your bike i was wondering if you would be willing to waive the money if it went to a young couple starting out in our first apartment and bring it to us as we dont drive if so thank you your a lifesaver if not i understand and god bless

Certainly not a scam, but definitely beggy with a little bit of moochy! ;D