Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 683816 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #765 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
^^^  I assumed the other lady meant she had waited for the OP to return so that she could explain why the OP's lock was cut off.  I don't think she meant the OP needed to explain anything.

Well, it would be amusing in a mindbending way if she expected the OP to explain why the OP's clothes were protected by a lock in a locker she thought belonged to her.

I think it was a legitimate (though ditzy) mistake, and the woman was trying to explain what had happened. I don't think it was a scam, otherwise the woman could have left without even saying anything, but the club itself handled things badly. First, they should have checked if any other locker had a lock on it; then, after opening the wrong one, they should have taken charge of it until the OP returned.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #766 on: May 05, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
I'm boggled by the locker story. So, the woman thought your locker was hers, and because the lock wouldn't open, had them cut it off? And then just went, "Oops, those aren't my clothes?"

Did she appear to be old enough that she might have dementia, or was she just really, REALLY absentminded?

I'd like to know what she meant by "I've been sitting here waiting for you to explain."

Well, if she was honest, she may have been guarding the stuff and wanting to reassure the OP that nothing had been stolen. And to explain *TO THE OP* why her lock was cut or missing.

I agree w/ Twik, I think the woman made a ditzy mistake and wanted to try to make things right as best she could.

Other than her not being extra careful about whether she had the same locker, I don't really fault her. I fault the club for not taking the things into their own custody.

kakack

« Reply #767 on: May 05, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
I am a type II diabetic, and take medication to control it. Somehow, this diagnosis has been sold to marketing people, and I get mailings intended for the 60+ age bracket. I will not qualify for another 16 years! No, I don't need your Hurry-cane!

Ladyknight ~~  I don't have diabetes and neither does my husband.  In fact, as far as we know, no one in our extended families has ever been diabetic.  Yet, we get mail from various companies all the time wanting us to try their various products.  It's a complete puzzle.

I actually used to get quite a bit of information and supply offers for diabetes and related illnesses.  No, I don't have diabetes, but my cat did...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
Yes, of course.  Sorry, I misread as "I have been waiting for you to explain."

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #769 on: May 06, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
I am so excited!  I have been accepted into the Businessperson's Hall of Fame!  The email was just so full of praise!  Because of my recent stellar accomplishments in my field, I am being nationally recognized and all I have to do is click on a link to take me to all the information!  And The National Businesspersons Hall of Fame uses a hot mail address..how professional.  It is nice to get recognition for my most recent stellar business accomplishment, which was telling my horrendous boss where to shove her job and walking out to an attorney's office!

BarensMom

« Reply #770 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
I'm boggled by the locker story. So, the woman thought your locker was hers, and because the lock wouldn't open, had them cut it off? And then just went, "Oops, those aren't my clothes?"

Did she appear to be old enough that she might have dementia, or was she just really, REALLY absentminded?

I'd like to know what she meant by "I've been sitting here waiting for you to explain."

Well, if she was honest, she may have been guarding the stuff and wanting to reassure the OP that nothing had been stolen. And to explain *TO THE OP* why her lock was cut or missing.

I agree w/ Twik, I think the woman made a ditzy mistake and wanted to try to make things right as best she could.

Other than her not being extra careful about whether she had the same locker, I don't really fault her. I fault the club for not taking the things into their own custody.

The woman took the locker next to mine.  Her lock was also one of those black Master combo locks.  She was waiting to explain to me what happened.  I was outwardly polite about it, but inside I'm still on a low boil.  Even though nothing is missing, we're still going to monitor our credit for a while, because, who knows?

In an entire room of empty lockers, who takes the locker next to someone with the same lock?  Why aren't the lockers numbered?  And why did the staff member go off and leave my stuff unprotected in the hands of a stranger? 

I sent off a e-mail to the pool manager on Friday and am waiting on the response.  DH found a keyed lock from around the house, covered it in yellow duck (duct?) tape, and wrote my initials on it with a Sharpie.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #771 on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
My Ex late DH was a beggar, moocher, and scammer all rolled into one and he was dingdangity proud of it.  His biggest scheme was getting out of paying child support, because I worked so I should be able to support her just fine (his mother's exact words).  They took the money out of his paycheck so I knew he would call every other Friday with a sob story.  And if I didn't hand it over (one time I gave him $100 for new brakes because I knew they were bad) he would not show up when promised to see our DD and he would tell her it was my fault because I couldn't help him out >:(.  So, him and his new gf (in a long line each skankier than the last) Heroin Hannah, decided to just leave for Florida one night (while DD was on a visitation with him...he left her at his parents with no word that he was leaving) and he got a job there.  When they nailed him there for support (don't know how but they did and this was when I found out where he was) he quit and went to another job, where he used his bother's SS#.  His brother didn't need it..he was incarcerated (again) for assaulting his gf (again).  I found this out from someone about 6 months after, but by this time they were back and both hooked on heroin.  So because he was getting letters from the courts about the back support he called me with a proposition...if I went to court and told them he was not her father  :o, they would stop the support and he would give me money every month.  When I politely  ::) explained that was not how it worked he attempted to assault me.  When I moved shortly after, I got a forwarded letter from a magistrate about 1 hour away addressed to him at my old address, one he NEVER lived at (we had been split 8 years at this point).  It seems he missed a court date for retail theft (yeah, like I didn't know the bag of clothes with security tags still attached you gave DD for her birthday wasn't stolen..threw them out with her blessing).  I called magistrate and informed them of the fact he didn't live at my address and had proof, they not only charged him with FTA, but giving false information  ;D.  He got angry that I wouldn't go along with this scheme (and I did not inform him I had moved).  He also asked me for a copy of our marriage license because he needed that for ID purposes.  I did not give him that although he threatened me in front of my co workers.  Him and heroin Hannah also opened a credit card in my name...took awhile but got that fixed.  Is it any wonder that I made the comment when he passed in February that I was relieved?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #772 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
Inviteseller, that is a heartwrenching story. No, I don't think anyone could blame you for being relieved of such constant legal battles and physical threats.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #773 on: May 06, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
Inviteseller, that is a heartwrenching story. No, I don't think anyone could blame you for being relieved of such constant legal battles and physical threats.

Same here!

bloo

« Reply #774 on: May 06, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »

Same here!

Ditto. Hope your daughter is doing okay!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #775 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »

The woman took the locker next to mine.  Her lock was also one of those black Master combo locks.  She was waiting to explain to me what happened.  I was outwardly polite about it, but inside I'm still on a low boil.  Even though nothing is missing, we're still going to monitor our credit for a while, because, who knows?

In an entire room of empty lockers, who takes the locker next to someone with the same lock?  Why aren't the lockers numbered?  And why did the staff member go off and leave my stuff unprotected in the hands of a stranger? 

I sent off a e-mail to the pool manager on Friday and am waiting on the response.  DH found a keyed lock from around the house, covered it in yellow duck (duct?) tape, and wrote my initials on it with a Sharpie.

Just saying that you COULD put a very colorful key chain on the lock, too.  Because if she cuts the lock off with the State of Texas; #1 Mom; a giant pretend diamond ring; a purple rhinestone cowboy hat, or a big hot pink butterfly (to describe some that I saw today on the sale rack) key chain on it that you got for Mothers' Day.....well, she really shouldn't be coming to the gym in that condition......and if it had any two of those key chains on it....well - that's a whole different level of being ditzy.

Or Wal*Mart, Home Depot, JoAnn's, and a few other places have duct tape with really wild & crazy designs printed on it - Spiderman, Superman, Batman, SpongeBob, tie dye, butterflies, urban camouflage, zebra stripes in various color combinations, hot pink, orange, purple, leopard print in several color combinations, and more.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:44:59 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

snowflake

« Reply #776 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »

Same here!

Are you my ex aunt?  Because I had an uncle who was exactly like that.  When he died even my dad (his brother) said, "Well at least the ex wife won't have to put up with his crap anymore."  This was while he was crying because he did love his brother even though he didn't agree with any of his decisions.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #777 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
TY all...I actually, instead of dwelling on his shenanigans, made jokes about it.  It was hurtful to my DD who is mourning his loss because she says "He was starting to come around".  Poor thing is delusional.  He was an idiot who spiraled out of control when I left because (not bragging, just saying) I was the first person who made him be responsible for himself and he had a good job and was a decent human but mom just.wouldn't.stop and his DD moved in with us and she could do no wrong (last I heard she is living in FL and is not a fine upstanding citizen).  I will say the look on his face when I told him I had turned him in for using a false address was priceless !  >:D  The final time I actually spoke with him was last July and it was him calling to threaten me because he was facing federal kidnapping charges for an incident with DD and I wouldn't just say it was all a misunderstanding.  When I had to inform some people that he died, numerous people said "Should we say sorry or congratulations?"  ;D

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #778 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

This makes it sound even weirder to me.  She went back to one of two lockers that had the same lock, tried to open your lock and didn't try to open the second lock in case that was hers instead?

It really sounds like a scam to me - like she's hoping her remaining there to explain will allay your suspicions enough that you don't cancel all your cards and change your locks.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #779 on: May 06, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
A former friend was a beggar and moocher every time she thought she could get away with it.  Her favorite way of mooching money was to ask for 20 bucks, to be repaid when she got paid next.  Next time she got paid and the person she'd mooched from asked for their money back, she'd say "Actually, let me take out to lunch/dinner!".  Lunch/dinner always seemed to be at a fast food place, where if you really tried, you could spend 10 bucks per person, but usually more like 5 or 6 bucks.  So she'd "pay you back" 5-10 bucks, and expect that to cover her borrowing.  If you asked for the rest of it back, she'd come up with various reasons why not, and then avoid you until she figured you'd stop asking.  I let her get away with that twice, until I figured it out.  The next time she tried it, I cheerfully said, "Nah, I need grocery money, so the cash would be better!".  She only tried a couple more times after that!

She also scammed me with regards to an MLM she got mixed up in.  When she first got involved, she was supposed to be having conference calls with her "mentors" at least once a week, until she got everything figured out.  She came to me one night saying that her phone wasn't working, could she use my cell phone to try and set up the conference call, and would then drop me out so my phone wouldn't be tied up all night.  Like an idiot, I agreed.  I didn't need my phone the rest of the day, so didn't realize she'd kept it until she gave it back to me the next day, battery dead, and a 5 hour call on the records.  She'd used up almost all of my daytime minutes, and had somehow called a number that wasn't free long distance!  My cell phone bill that month was HUGE.  I ate the cost and figured it was the price to pay for knowing what she would do, given the chance.  Next time she told me her phone wasn't working and could she "set up the conference call" with my phone, I told her I'd disabled that feature since it was so expensive.  I was stunned that she'd try again...