Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 571523 times)

Shalamar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #810 on: May 08, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
That reminds me of when my 16-year-old daughter recently applied to be one of those folks who hand out samples of food in grocery stores.  She was told that she had to buy all of the ingredients herself up front, and she'd be reimbursed.  Okay - a little shady, but not really raising the red flags.  Then she was told that she'd be expected to buy top-quality equipment in which to prepare the food, and she WOULDN'T be reimbursed for that. 

Maybe this isn't a scam, but I really don't think a 16-year-old is interested in buying, say, an expensive toaster oven.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #811 on: May 08, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
That reminds me of when my 16-year-old daughter recently applied to be one of those folks who hand out samples of food in grocery stores.  She was told that she had to buy all of the ingredients herself up front, and she'd be reimbursed.  Okay - a little shady, but not really raising the red flags.  Then she was told that she'd be expected to buy top-quality equipment in which to prepare the food, and she WOULDN'T be reimbursed for that. 

Maybe this isn't a scam, but I really don't think a 16-year-old is interested in buying, say, an expensive toaster oven.

Oh, it's a scam.  That's not at all how those 'free sample' things are done!!!  Glad she just told them "No, thanks" and left.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #812 on: May 08, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »

Oh, it's a scam.  That's not at all how those 'free sample' things are done!!!  Glad she just told them "No, thanks" and left.

The next step is probably "Provide us with your bank account number for your reimbursement and paychecks."

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #813 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
But that's normal, they can put might in but not take it out without a PIN.

I wish my work paid rowctronicallt rather than by cheque.

magicdomino

« Reply #814 on: May 08, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »

The next step is probably "Provide us with your bank account number for your reimbursement and paychecks."

Or she has to buy the expensive equipment from the sample company when equipment of similiar quality would be a fraction of the cost.  Mysteriously, there wouldn't be any events available for her after buying the overpriced equipment.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #815 on: May 08, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
My mother has been getting some sort of robocalls that are really worrying her.  No one there when she answers, then after about 3 or 4 repetitions of "Hello? Hello?" a sexy (?) female voice says "Goodbye..." and then a hangup.  Any ideas?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #816 on: May 08, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »

Scam. Definitely.

The people that do ours have all their equipment supplied to them by their employer, and samples usually supplied by the manufacturer. We get leftover samples and free gifts sometimes when they are done with the promotion. The only thing that might cost money is damaged/missing equipment - I think the sample people are held responsible for that.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #817 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
My mother has been getting some sort of robocalls that are really worrying her.  No one there when she answers, then after about 3 or 4 repetitions of "Hello? Hello?" a sexy (?) female voice says "Goodbye..." and then a hangup.  Any ideas?

That's exactly how our 'pre-emptive' calls go.  I suspect the robocalls are to see if anyone is at home at a particular time, because the followup Microsoft scam calls have been coming through at the same time the following night.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #818 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »
Adriana is dying to get ahold of me too.  4 emails since last weekend.  I just wish I could remember who she was... ;D

I also got a few emails from "Facebook" from a guy who saw my profile pictures, thinks I'm s*xy and wants me to contact him so we can do inappropriate things together.

My profile picture is a cartoon and my banner is a drawing my kid made.  Apparently, it just screams "I'm ready and willing!!!"

I decided against responding.   8)

I've been getting them, too - to an old email addy that has never been used with FB, and which I revived only to plan my wedding.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #819 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:49 AM »
I keep getting phone calls claiming to be from the U.S. Census bureau and asking me to call back.  Here's the interesting part:  It's all been voice mails.  The phone has never rung from these folks.  Like yesterday:  I was right here working from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m., and the phone didn't ring once.  Yet, this morning when I had to make a call the signal that we had a voice mail was sounding, so after I made my call I checked, and it was another from the "Census Bureau" asking us to call them back.  But the phone had never rung.  I don't know how they're leaving phone messages without the phone ringing.  I looked the number that the message says to call up on line, and it's a scam.  According to the Census Bureau website, they'd send us a letter if the wanted information from us, and not call unless we hadn't responded to their letter.  I got suspicious because of the fact that it's 2013 and not time yet for a census.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #820 on: May 09, 2013, 03:30:03 AM »
I've ears about that scam. They get your money when you call back.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #821 on: May 09, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »
I've been getting a lot of emails about the "problem" with my bank account, click this link to fix it!

I enjoyed the one signed by the bank's "Bussiness" Manager.

Margo

« Reply #822 on: May 09, 2013, 07:27:38 AM »
I get a lot of e-mails like that. Most of them claiming to come from banks I don't bank with.

I always forward them to the relevant bank (most here have an e-mail address specifically for that purpose)

Amava

« Reply #823 on: May 09, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »
The bank ones have become a real plague here too, all banks already warn against it on their websites.
It was on the news a few days ago, too.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #824 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:11 AM »
I get a lot of e-mails like that. Most of them claiming to come from banks I don't bank with.

I always forward them to the relevant bank (most here have an e-mail address specifically for that purpose)

I used to do that, then Yahoo! blocked me from sending emails because I was "sending spam" so now I don't bother.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:37:10 PM by RingTailedLemur »